Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
Agree with Mavs2021. It’s just too long and lanky of a body that relies on agility in a league where the openings are not as open. Defending legs and feet are that much closer. The pressure on the body that 82 games creates. That’s not to mention the troubles that a body that tall has just from being that tall. Foot issues being the biggest concern.

I do wonder if Ainge would say yes to that deal, but if he did, I think it’s a take it and run, no brainer opportunity for this team. 

I also do wonder if we got the #2 pick, what kind of package we could get for Scoot. Might even be able to extract from that same Utah well, albeit on a lesser deal. Lauri and #10 for Scoot and Bertans?
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 11:09 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Agree with Mavs2021. It’s just too long and lanky of a body that relies on agility in a league where the openings are not as open. Defending legs and feet are that much closer. The pressure on the body that 82 games creates. That’s not to mention the troubles that a body that tall has just from being that tall. Foot issues being the biggest concern.

I do wonder if Ainge would say yes to that deal, but if he did, I think it’s a take it and run, no brainer opportunity for this team. 

I also do wonder if we got the #2 pick, what kind of package we could get for Scoot. Might even be able to extract from that same Utah well, albeit on a lesser deal. Lauri and #10 for Scoot and Bertans?

Now Scoot I´d never trade. I´d consider trading down from #1 to #2 to extract more value. For example:

Wembanyama + Bertans for Scoot + Sengun + Martin Jr. + future 1st from Houston.
Wembanyama + THJ + Bertans for Scoot + WCJ + Harris + Hendricks (the Bulls pick) from Orlando.
Wembanyama + THJ for Scoot + Duren + Wiseman from Detroit.

I´d take the Scoot trade down and get the f*** out of that Kyrie deal for some frontcourt help.

Irving/Kleber for Ayton/CP3

Doncic/CP3
Henderson/Hardy
Green/Bullock
Duren/Wood
Ayton/Wiseman

Haha that frontcourt. Going from Powell/McGee/Kleber to Ayton/Wiseman/Duren would be hilarious.

I think CP3 is a bit overrated as a player, but he´s a proper dick that won´t tolerate the BS that comes with this locker room. He mentored SGA and Booker. He can do the same here and he´s diminished enough as a player now that Irving/Kleber for CP3/Ayton might work straight up.
Like Reply
Oh man these are some hot takes.
Like Reply
I’ve been looking at prospects, allowing myself to daydream. Probably setting myself up for disappointment…

Cason Wallace may actually BE Jrue Holiday. Incredibly poised, smart, tough. Knows his role. Has some offensive upside still. Only 34-35 % from 3 but has a nice compact shooting motion. NBA level athleticism. Switchable defensively, he will probably be able to guard up due to his smarts and strength. If he’s BPA when we pick I hope we take him. I know guard isn’t the most pressing need. He’s also from Dallas, went to Kentucky. Like Maxey. Turns 20 next November.
Like Reply
As far as the proposed Lauri/Kessler/2023 UT pick  for Wemby/Bertans/McGee,
(a) I would expect at least 1 more future FRP, and
(b) I like the swap to some degree, in getting multiple assets for 1, but
©  if Wemby becomes the all-timer many think he will, it's a really dumb trade for Dallas even though you get several useful pieces. (A good comp would be Abdul-Jabbar trade from MIL to LAL.)

Does Wemby have skills as a real center, other than being tall? If he's just a very tall shooter, he's perhaps a very tall Durant, not KP. That's not a negative, it's just a shift in perspective when evaluating how he might best be used, and what that does to your potential.

Is Wemby all offense, where you have to hide him on defense? That matters. It takes more than "he's tall." But if he can block shots like Kessler, say, then you have something.

Wemby can handle and pass the ball, which excites people because he's a 7-5 do-it-all. But is it REALLY useful to have a 7-5 point-center? Or is it just something to sell tickets?

As a Mav, do you want him being the focus of your offense, and the ball handler? How would that work? There's only 1 ball, for a team that already has Luka and Kyrie.

Afaik, Wemby has no track record of injuries, which is important data.
Like Reply
(04-09-2023, 05:42 AM)F Gump Wrote: Is Wemby all offense, where you have to hide him on defense? That matters. It takes more than "he's tall." But if he can block shots like Kessler, say, then you have something.

Based on the stuff I read and saw offense is a bigger question mark than defense.
As far as shot blocking and rim protection go he might be the greatest prospect that has entered the league in the last 20 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-08-2023, 10:10 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I’ve been looking at prospects, allowing myself to daydream. Probably setting myself up for disappointment…

Cason Wallace may actually BE Jrue Holiday. Incredibly poised, smart, tough. Knows his role. Has some offensive upside still. Only 34-35 % from 3 but has a nice compact shooting motion. NBA level athleticism. Switchable defensively, he will probably be able to guard up due to his smarts and strength. If he’s BPA when we pick I hope we take him. I know guard isn’t the most pressing need. He’s also from Dallas, went to Kentucky. Like Maxey. Turns 20 next November.

Interesting.  I have not watched many of the draft prospects and won’t until we know if we keep our pick or not.  But he was one of the guys I wanted to be picked before us and was focused on 5-6 bigger prospects.  I agree though that Dallas needs to look at everyone though.  Even guys who are not a perfect fit.  Kentucky has had some history of guards being undervalued in the draft as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(04-09-2023, 07:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  Kentucky has had some history of guards being undervalued in the draft as well.
100% accurate. Kentucky guards and European centers. I was adamant that Sengun should have been a top 5 pick.

Also the absolute worst case for Taylor Hendricks is Jarrett Allen/JJJ. The best case is KG/KD. The timing on his shot-blocking, help defense, the strength in the air, the dribbling ability and the jumpshot. I´m seriously confused why he´s not considered a top 5 lock. If the Mavs get him and trade him, I´ll quit right there, even if the return is Randle, Lavine, Markkanen.......and John Jenkins. Big Grin
Like Reply
Well it looks like the Mavs scouting staff can finally brush off the cobwebs and start looking at college prospects Smile.   Mark finally probably heard of that Wemby guy before they played the Bulls.   

Please, Please, please make Mark go to the lottery.    If they get lucky and move up or keep their pick, I will be happy regardless.  If they don't get the pick, the look on Marks face will help ease my pain.
Like Reply
(04-09-2023, 07:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Well it looks like the Mavs scouting staff can finally brush off the cobwebs and start looking at college prospects Smile.   Mark finally probably heard of that Wemby guy before they played the Bulls.   

Please, Please, please make Mark go to the lottery.    If they get lucky and move up or keep their pick, I will be happy regardless.  If they don't get the pick, the look on Marks face will help ease my pain.

99% sure he will send the shoe salesman to the lottery.
Like Reply
I've seen scouts saying they'd trade 10 future firsts for Victor. I think some of you are underestimating what they could get if they somehow got the 1st pick and decided to trade it. But they would just take Victor if they got the 1st pick.
[-] The following 4 users Like Dirknows's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, MFFL, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
It's nice that you guys are dreaming of slick Vic, but let's be real

2018 - Dallas falls from 3 to 5 in the lottery
2019 - Dallas, New Orleans and Memphis end the season with a same record. NO moves to 1, Mem to 2 Big Grin Big Grin 
2020,2021, 2022 we knew what we have.
Can't wait for Chicago, or heck, with the Mavs luck it will be the team with the worst odds that jumps them...
Like Reply
We can talk about lack of track record of injuries, but he's never played an 82 game NBA season before. The track record of players his size having longevity with starter minutes is much more clear cut. If we got some of the hauls mentioned in return for that pick should a miracle happen I would take it.

If we were a bottom feeder team with no stars you take him every day of the week, but we aren't. A huge amount of first round picks plus some high level young players would be more useful for this team right now and moving forward for talent acquisition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
What happens if the Bulls and the Thunder win their Play ins? Do they drop out of the lottery, and do other teams slide in for them?
Like Reply
(04-10-2023, 05:38 AM)GermanMav Wrote: What happens if the Bulls and the Thunder win their Play ins? Do they drop out of the lottery, and do other teams slide in for them?

The four teams that reach the playoffs drop out of the lottery. The four teams that lose the play-ins join the lottery, with odds and position based on their regular season record.
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 01:33 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Oh man these are some hot takes.

Unrealistic, I have a dream takes......
Like Reply
If we get the #1 pick and trade it, I'm going to become a Heat fan.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
NOTE:  This article is almost four years old.

https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2019/0...e-tanking/
Like Reply
Forget winning the lottery, I'll be dancing in the streets as long as we don't get jumped. Keeping the 10th pick is just as good!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(04-10-2023, 12:25 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Forget winning the lottery, I'll be dancing in the streets as long as we don't get jumped. Keeping the 10th pick is just as good!

I agree. Keeping the 10th pick will be like winning the lottery for the Mavs.

But dropping to the 11th pick is the most Mavs thing ever. And the most NBA thing ever.  I'm 100% bracing for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply