Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
IT'S HARDY TIME: Jaden Hardy looking like a decent prospect
I think he will get some run with the team this year.  I am not sure if he will get a chance to win a regular spot, but we will see.   He may not be ready.  

Next year though, he needs a regular spot.   I will have little patience if the progress stoppers are in front of him.    I can deal with it this year....at this point.    But if he is a part of your future, he needs at least 20 minutes a night.   For that to be the case at least one move needs to be made....maybe two.
Like Reply
I think that’s exactly the role they’ll carve out for Hardy. Spot minutes were available this season and rotation role for 15-20 per game next season. I looked back at my “best case” comp and Anfernee Simons went from 7 minutes per in year one to 20 in year two. Stalled out in year 3 (maybe some injuries? They still had CJ & Trent too so less minutes available) and then exploded in year 4—which was last season. This season Simons looks like a future annual fringe all-star.
Like Reply
(12-11-2022, 02:31 AM)cow Wrote: He didn't play very bad either, though.  I do think he looks to get his own shot too often but honestly, the team needs more of that mentality as he joins Luka, Din, Wood and THJ (sadly) as the only guys who believe they can create an opportunity for themselves (and others to varying degrees).  Some of his passes in the pick and roll were bad and his 3PT shooting was dreadfully short in the 2nd half (didn't catch the 1st).  He got blocked a few times going to the rim (one I blame on McGee's poor spacing on the fast break) but some of his finishes were spectacular.  I think these are valuable minutes as this is a level above the G-Leaguers he's been dominating and the kid seems to process and adapt quickly.  

I was thinking about it earlier, but he seems to be the polar opposite of Josh.  He looks a little lost on the defensive end at times but has all the confidence in the world on the offensive end.

Don’t get me wrong. I love him. I’d put him in the starting lineup. Might as well get the future here now.
Like Reply
Hollinger had a nice write up on Hardy in the Athletic today (in a bigger article).  

Pretty positive on his development.  Hollinger was really low on him last year at the draft.

I think it is important to remember that players can improve, get worse or both.    Just because someone struggles while watching a handful of games, it doesn't mean he will always be at that stage.   That is why it is important to know these prospects for years.     Sometimes seeing how they react to failure is more important than when everything is going right.  

Not saying he will be a great NBA player, but there is some promise there.   His game against the Cavs was unremarkable.  I believe he was minus 11 in his short play.   I didn't think he was great but didn't think he was the sole reason why we struggled in those minutes either.   Personally those 10 minutes are more important to his development than playing 35 minutes in the G-League and scoring 30.   I hope we find more opportunities for him as the season goes on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
It’s ridiculous that Hardy is in the G League.
Like Reply
So Hardy gets injured playing in a meaningless G League game when the big club’s roster is a disaster. What a joke. Worst Mavericks season since the team that damn near set the record for losses (or did they set it, can’t remember). All I can say to whoever is calling the shots for this team, pull your head out of your . . An octopus randomly making decisions would do a better job than what we’ve seen.
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 01:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So Hardy gets injured playing in a meaningless G League game when the big club’s roster is a disaster. What a joke. Worst Mavericks season since the team that damn near set the record for losses (or did they set it, can’t remember). All I can say to whoever is calling the shots for this team, pull your head out of your . . An octopus randomly making decisions would do a better job than what we’ve seen.

I don't understand this particular piece of over the top negativity. You're saying he should've been protected by being held out of G League games? I'm sorry, but I thought we wanted him to play and learn? I don't get it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 01:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So Hardy gets injured playing in a meaningless G League game when the big club’s roster is a disaster.

Is this something significant at all? I'm thinking it's very possible it's much ado about nothing, just some of those bumps and bruises that happen in athletic competition.
Like Reply
Hardy looked AWFUL in the first half and that's a great thing!

He can't figure out how to be effective in the NBA unless he struggles. He's not going to struggle in the G-League and at the end of blowout games so he's not going to learn anything.

One of the things that I've always admired about teams like the Spurs, Heat, and Warriors. They put their young kids in the game and let them learn. Maybe its only 5 minutes per half but they get real game action. Player development.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(12-30-2022, 08:59 AM)MFFL Wrote: Hardy looked AWFUL in the first half and that's a great thing!

He can't figure out how to be effective in the NBA unless he struggles. He's not going to struggle in the G-League and at the end of blowout games so he's not going to learn anything.

One of the things that I've always admired about teams like the Spurs, Heat, and Warriors. They put their young kids in the game and let them learn. Maybe its only 5 minutes per half but they get real game action. Player development.

I agree.  He isn't ready yet, but I would like to give him some chances.   He needs this development.  I am sure he will get more G-league games, but he is too good for the G-league right now.  Every time he gets the ball, he is looking to score and he can get any shot he wants.   He can't do that in the NBA and it will not be his role early in his career.   

If he is in our plans, he needs consistent minutes next year.    So they will need to free up sometime for him somehow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Could not agree with the last two comments any more.

He isnt going to learn squat in the G_League.   Its time for him to be given a few opportunities to learn professional basketball...NBA basketball.

Ball hogging, show boating, bad shot selection, not making the correct bball play...all get you benched.  This aint rec league anymore.  

The kid wants to dance with his handles until he puts a defender on skates and then attack.  Thats all good and all...but this aint 90's bball anymore or an And-1 mixtape.  You gotta be able to play smart basketball in the NBA.  

Hes got potential as far as skill and athleticism and this team needs it....but can he polish his game to be NBA playable?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(12-30-2022, 08:59 AM)MFFL Wrote: Hardy looked AWFUL in the first half and that's a great thing!

So many teams do that.

It should actually be so much easier on a good team, if you play Hardy with four veterans.

I seriously do not understand the benefit of playing a baby with four other babies rather than four adults.

Seems one of these confusing concept always used by the Mavs in the pre-season, too.

Last night Hardy played six minutes in the first half. +/- was zero, despite him still trying to figure things out. In garbage time he played with the other scrubs with nothing on the line and it was -7.

It´s so much easier and healthier for the development of a young player to give him some (pre-determined) minutes in the regular rotation than just feed him meaningless gartbage minutes. He feels respected, motivated, engaged, but he also gets schooled against the real level and intensity of opposition. Then you want the player to respond to the challenge, learn and adapt or trade him for future picks. Wink Big Grin

Against the Spurs I´d play him at least 20 minutes.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-30-2022, 10:18 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Could not agree with the last two comments any more.

He isnt going to learn squat in the G_League.   Its time for him to be given a few opportunities to learn professional basketball...NBA basketball.

Ball hogging, show boating, bad shot selection, not making the correct bball play...all get you benched.  This aint rec league anymore.  

The kid wants to dance with his handles until he puts a defender on skates and then attack.  Thats all good and all...but this aint 90's bball anymore or an And-1 mixtape.  You gotta be able to play smart basketball in the NBA.  

Hes got potential as far as skill and athleticism and this team needs it....but can he polish his game to be NBA playable?

The problem is he isn't gonna learn anything playing garbage time minutes in the NBA either. He got some first half minutes, but I don't see that being common, it's just because of the injuries.
Like Reply
Was catching up on some articles and noticed this from Hollinger a couple of weeks back.  I didn't recall seeing it here:

Rookie of the Week: Jaden Hardy, SG, Dallas

(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best rookie of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

Scouts this week will be evaluating the G League Ignite closely in addition to watching the 29 other teams at the showcase for NBA talent. With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to check in on one of last year’s Ignite graduates, Jaden Hardy.

While he wasn’t the only one (New Orleans’ Dyson Daniels was the eighth pick in the draft), Hardy, to me, presents a more interesting case study, just based on two data points:
  • He was awful in the G League last year and was just as bad in summer league.

• He’s been awesome in the G League this year.
Hardy’s play is a useful reminder that players can and will make large strides between ages 19 and 20; he was one of the youngest players in the draft.

Watching him in the Mavs’ short-handed near-upset in Cleveland on Saturday, I was struck by the fact that he looked leaner, and that he’d possibly grown a bit as well. (Hardy has been variously listed at 6-3 and 6-4 over the past two seasons.)

Statistically, Hardy has made one notable jump, and it’s not where you’d think. He blocked only four shots in 814 minutes a year ago, but this season, he has blocked shots at five times that rate in 10 G League games.
It’s carried over to his rare NBA minutes (64 of them) as well. Here’s Hardy swatting a Cedi Osman drive after a solid closeout. This type of play just wasn’t on his tape reel a year ago:

The more interesting note is that the biggest part of Hardy’s statistical jump this season is just straight shot making. Yes, he’s drawing more fouls and has shifted from tough 2s to beyond the 3-point line, but the biggest difference by far is just the ball going into the basket. His shooting on 2PA-3PA-FTA has gone from 42.4-30.6-79.4 a year ago to a sizzling 62.4-48.9-84.6.

Hardy has a sweet, compact shooting form, and even last season it seemed hard to believe his percentages would remain so low for long. This type of jump on almost exactly the same shot proportions is pretty wild, though. Meanwhile, his rates of assists, turnovers rebounds and steals are essentially unchanged.

What does it all mean? Well, we still don’t know. Hardy was the 37th pick and rarely plays for the Mavs. But it’s another data point indicating that the G League is harder than college basketball. Three recent prospects who were average G League players as 19-year-olds were taken in the lottery (Jalen GreenJonathan Kuminga and Daniels), and I don’t think any of them have disappointed. And even Hardy, who got squashed in the G League last season, looks like he might make it.

It’s also a cautionary tale for those who might want to dismiss this year’s G League Ignite teens (Sidy Cissoko and Mojave King) after slow starts … and straight-up exciting for those projecting the NBA futures of current Ignite stars Leonard Miller or especially Scoot Henderson. We’re still learning what to make of G League production as it relates to draft prospects; Hardy’s development is an indicator that the process may not be so linear.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-30-2022, 10:47 PM)Dundalis Wrote: The problem is he isn't gonna learn anything playing garbage time minutes in the NBA either. He got some first half minutes, but I don't see that being common, it's just because of the injuries.

My bigger issue is guys who haven't earned minutes get them regardless.  Bullock and Powell can have five straight awful games and still get high minutes regardless.  

Hardy playing through and learning from his mistakes is far more valuable than playing guys who have hit their ceilings or are even regressing.  

He is going to look raw and miss assignments like all young rookies, but not getting on the court means he'll never get to his potential.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/16...6753035264
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/214TheW/status/1611228071121518592
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...3360373760
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
I like Hardy’s handles. He will eventually be a good pnr ball handler. He had a play where he was able to change speeds and keep his dribble with his defender on his back and then let them pass by. Good feel.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1611398603553050631
Like Reply