Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
IT'S HARDY TIME: Jaden Hardy looking like a decent prospect
(12-08-2022, 02:23 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, he did say something to the effect of "things happen, people get sick or injured, but we've been healthy" and belabored that point a bit, implying that EVERYONE would get a chance to play, but he said "Jaden has to wait" and "ask Josh" about 5 times. I honestly don't know how you got "exactly the opposite" out of that, frankly. .

I understand your pov and where it comes from. My 2c is I just don't think his throwaways of red meat to the questioners who are nitpicking his minutes allocation is really that meaningful to what will happen as we go along.

Rather, within Kidd's contextual points, I see the expression of an intention (and plans he's not going to discuss) to get meaningful minutes for Hardy as he begins to learn the game.

Like I said, let's see how it plays out in the long run (over the entirety of the season).
Like Reply
There is absolutely zero for me to gripe about with the way Hardy has been handled to this point. Let the kid get as many minutes as possible in the G-League. If THJ and/or Reggie get moved at the deadline, and Hardy is still showing signs of improvement, then maybe he can get some more NBA experience in the second half of the season. Fans can be impatient.
[-] The following 5 users Like Smitty's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(12-08-2022, 08:35 AM)Smitty Wrote: There is absolutely zero for me to gripe about with the way Hardy has been handled to this point. Let the kid get as many minutes as possible in the G-League. If THJ and/or Reggie get moved at the deadline, and Hardy is still showing signs of improvement, then maybe he can get some more NBA experience in the second half of the season. Fans can be impatient.

I agree about how he's been handled to this point.  He looks so much better now than even this summer and certainly better than his last G League season.

I do think there is a 5-6 minute a game role in the second quarter that could be carved out.  Maybe you don't do it every night.  Carlisle used to do that with Green.  Those second quarter minutes don't crush the team's chances of winning the game even if they go poorly.  They probably come at the expense mostly of Bullock (making him an 18 minute guy instead of a 24 minute guy).  I'd rather Hardy have to fit in with other scorers than be the sole focus of the team in trash time.  He's a three level scorer with a sweet shot.  My concerns have always been defense and shot selection.  I want him to learn to shoot in the flow of the offense rather than just watching all the scrubs clearing out for Hardy to go to work.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Dahlsim, DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, MFFL, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-08-2022, 08:35 AM)Smitty Wrote: There is absolutely zero for me to gripe about with the way Hardy has been handled to this point. Let the kid get as many minutes as possible in the G-League. If THJ and/or Reggie get moved at the deadline, and Hardy is still showing signs of improvement, then maybe he can get some more NBA experience in the second half of the season. Fans can be impatient.

I agree...no problem how he is being handled.  Although, he may be finished playing G-league games.

edit--Mostly done in G-league.  I could see him getting a few games if he doesn't play in 4-5 games.   I do wonder if him or Kemba gets playing time this weekend.  10 ET game against the Bucks followed by a 8 ET the following night against the Bulls.   Either they reduce minutes in one of these games or someone probably sits out.
Like Reply
(12-08-2022, 08:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree...no problem how he is being handled.  Although, he may be finished playing G-league games.

edit--Mostly done in G-league.  I could see him getting a few games if he doesn't play in 4-5 games.   I do wonder if him or Kemba gets playing time this weekend.  10 ET game against the Bucks followed by a 8 ET the following night against the Bulls.   Either they reduce minutes in one of these games or someone probably sits out.

If he's done playing in the G-League, then I will have a problem with how he's being handled.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(12-08-2022, 09:04 AM)Smitty Wrote: If he's done playing in the G-League, then I will have a problem with how he's being handled.

Well looky there...wrong again.  It looks like the Mavs assigned Hardy to the G-league.  Sort of surprised as they play tomorrow.  I thought he would be with the team for the next two home games.
Like Reply
No problem with him getting G-League burn but if he's killing the competition there, I really like Dan's 2nd quarter idea.  Let him carve out more and more.  I'll have stronger feelings come January to see if the Bullock switch flips again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Not a fan of this move.  Hardy needs to play against some real competition.  Best case scenario is he’s being sent down only to work on defense. To me, it looks like Kemba will be a progress stopper.
Like Reply
(12-08-2022, 07:17 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Not a fan of this move.  Hardy needs to play against some real competition.  Best case scenario is he’s being sent down only to work on defense. To me, it looks like Kemba will be a progress stopper.

Something had to give if the Kemba experiment is going to be a real thing, right?  

If Kemba's knee is fried then its on to retirement but if he still has a career burst left to offer Dallas needs to find out sooner rather than later in the season.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doylerader/...9a944e2600 
Quote:Walker stands to play a significant role in Dallas—potentially. Once he got the call from the front office, he says he started watching Mavericks games
With Doncic’s usage at 38% and Dinwiddie’s playing time with the other starters producing negative net ratings a quarter of the way through the season, Walker has the potential to shake up Dallas’ rotation dramatically. There’s no guarantee that he will, though. He still has to prove that his knee injuries are behind him and that he can be effective on the floor.
Like Reply
Missed this yesterday.  Mavs view him as key part In future.  Great signs.

https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/...45060?s=46&t=fWmoSWdPhbsb_dkwudBybQ
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-09-2022, 05:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Missed this yesterday.  Mavs view him as key part In future.  Great signs.

https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/...45060?s=46&t=fWmoSWdPhbsb_dkwudBybQ
So they’ll pull him up and not play him, then send him down…gotcha.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Jaden "its Hardy Time" with 39 pts tonight

5-9 from 3
Like Reply
You know who can shoot free throws? Jaden Hardy. But he’s off annihilating the G League yet again instead of helping the big club win a big game because of an idiot, broken record coach. I can’t believe how unprecedentedly dumb the current decision makers are for this team.
Like Reply
I watched a little of the game last night.  Hardy is just too good for G-League.  I agree getting reps is positive and it appears they have him handling the ball more.  But he can do whatever he wants on offense.   It is much easier to get to the rim in the G-League.   He doesn't need to compete on defense in the G-league so this is the one area where he isn't getting a lot of benefit playing there.   

https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/16...7181893633
Like Reply
You could make the argument that tonight’s game against the Bulls would be a prime spot for Hardy.  Even if everyone plays, the mavs will likely be running on fumes.  A shot of Hardy might give them a little life.

I have very little expectations tonight but I think the Mavs need and surprise big performance outside of the regular guys.
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 11:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: You could make the argument that tonight’s game against the Bulls would be a prime spot for Hardy.  Even if everyone plays, the mavs will likely be running on fumes.  A shot of Hardy might give them a little life.

I have very little expectations tonight but I think the Mavs need and surprise big performance outside of the regular guys.

With the way Hardy is playing in the G-League and Green is playing in the NBA, any sensible franchise would priorities the three young players and plan the rest of the regular minutes around them. If they win 50 games: awesome. If they win 30 games: awesome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 09:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I watched a little of the game last night.  Hardy is just too good for G-League.  I agree getting reps is positive and it appears they have him handling the ball more.  But he can do whatever he wants on offense.   It is much easier to get to the rim in the G-League.   He doesn't need to compete on defense in the G-league so this is the one area where he isn't getting a lot of benefit playing there.   

https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/16...7181893633

He was overwhelmed in the G League last year.  Its amazing the difference in one year.  I would love to see them make a two for one trade at the TDL and then get Hardy some real minutes.  My guess is he will be equally overwhelmed playing against NBA regulars this year, but if he continues this progression, the sky's the limit next year.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...0196585472
Like Reply
He didn’t play very good. Shooting percentage was too low to help the team and he needs to find other ways to contribute besides scoring. But showed real flashes and problem solving abilities. I think he’ll be the second best offensive player on the team before long.
Like Reply
(12-11-2022, 01:54 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He didn’t play very good. Shooting percentage was too low to help the team and he needs to find other ways to contribute besides scoring. But showed real flashes and problem solving abilities. I think he’ll be the second best offensive player on the team before long.

He didn't play very bad either, though.  I do think he looks to get his own shot too often but honestly, the team needs more of that mentality as he joins Luka, Din, Wood and THJ (sadly) as the only guys who believe they can create an opportunity for themselves (and others to varying degrees).  Some of his passes in the pick and roll were bad and his 3PT shooting was dreadfully short in the 2nd half (didn't catch the 1st).  He got blocked a few times going to the rim (one I blame on McGee's poor spacing on the fast break) but some of his finishes were spectacular.  I think these are valuable minutes as this is a level above the G-Leaguers he's been dominating and the kid seems to process and adapt quickly.  

I was thinking about it earlier, but he seems to be the polar opposite of Josh.  He looks a little lost on the defensive end at times but has all the confidence in the world on the offensive end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply