Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
IT'S HARDY TIME: Jaden Hardy looking like a decent prospect
Still think it made some sense to start him from the beginning and let Dinwiddie come off the bench.  G League definitely helped though.  

The whole fan base gonna lose it when he scores 30 in 20 minutes.
Like Reply
regular minutes will be hard to come by, but Hardy needs to earn minutes.   He looks pretty good doing it so far.   I hope they can find some run for him though when players are out or in brief stints.   

Maybe his time comes sooner than we think, but I think at the latest he needs to get 15-20 minutes per game starting next year.  That is if they view him as a future piece.   Young players need playing time to grow, make mistakes, and gain confidence.   

Heck, he may be ready this year.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/...90883?s=46&t=DruzXb0mopZFw1NtQqJ2Ww

I am a big proponent of this for guys you consider key pieces moving forward.  Sort of unfair to mention coach Carlisle though.  That year was so strange in Green’s rookie season.
Like Reply
Is there unspoken code in the NBA that you dont bench or make it obvious you are killing a vets minutes?  Maybe it has to be a decent vet not just any vet?

Or...are there agents that you have to protect yourself from pissing off by not killing their clients minutes?   Word gets around to players around the league about vets getting minutes cut and everyone will try and avoid that club in FA?

Are there minute minimums in contracts that teams have to follow?

I can see not killing a guys minutes to a youngster in a contract year for a vet...but even then I am going to find minutes for my future prospect.  I dont see why getting young guys minutes is such an issue in the NBA.  It really seems like (the Mavs at least) it is made way more difficult than it needs to be.

Anyone willing to shed light?
Like Reply
(12-06-2022, 08:26 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/...90883?s=46&t=DruzXb0mopZFw1NtQqJ2Ww

I am a big proponent of this for guys you consider key pieces moving forward.  Sort of unfair to mention coach Carlisle though.  That year was so strange in Green’s rookie season.

He doesn't have to mention RC, but Kidd knows a lot of people aren't very pleased of him, so in typical Kidd fashion, he has to say something that would make him look good even at the expense of making others look bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(12-06-2022, 10:13 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: He doesn't have to mention RC, but Kidd knows a lot of people aren't very pleased of him, so in typical Kidd fashion, he has to say something that would make him look good even at the expense of making others look bad.
At least he is giving us information about what is/was going on. It's not all generic speak.
Like Reply
(12-06-2022, 10:11 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Is there unspoken code in the NBA that you dont bench or make it obvious you are killing a vets minutes?  Maybe it has to be a decent vet not just any vet?

Or...are there agents that you have to protect yourself from pissing off by not killing their clients minutes?   Word gets around to players around the league about vets getting minutes cut and everyone will try and avoid that club in FA?

Are there minute minimums in contracts that teams have to follow?

I can see not killing a guys minutes to a youngster in a contract year for a vet...but even then I am going to find minutes for my future prospect.  I dont see why getting young guys minutes is such an issue in the NBA.  It really seems like (the Mavs at least) it is made way more difficult than it needs to be.

Anyone willing to shed light?

Depends on the team...
Playing young developing players usually comes at the cost wins.
Kidd bucks that not to develop but also to hammer out rotations so that by the end of the year (based on 21-22 season) his team is humming and primed to compete. there are several of us who are frustrated due to this resulting in games we "shouldn't lose" being lost and the reality of the small difference in home court and possibly playing the #1 cede. Dallas has RARELY made these type of choices in the past, and that probably goes all the way to mark pressuring the staff for the best overall performance.

For Hardy the wings are especially difficult to crack into the rotation in that behind Luka there are 5 players who you could argue are our next - bests and they all play on the wings when Luka is in the game. (DFS, Dinwiddie, Bullock, Green, THJ) This does not bode well for Hardy to crack into the rotation easily. The good news is that Kidd seems willing to make sacrifices to accomplish these types of goals early in the season...
Like Reply
One thing's for sure, he gets his shots up no matter how many minutes.
Like Reply
(12-06-2022, 12:35 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: One thing's for sure, he gets his shots up no matter how many minutes.

I get that this team has a need for offensive play makers...but I sure hope Hardy plays like Josh Green with the ball and not Spencer and THJ.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...1890577413
Like Reply
Need to figure out a way to get him minutes so we can bring him along faster than we did with Josh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 07:22 PM)cow Wrote: Need to figure out a way to get him minutes so we can bring him along faster than we did with Josh.

I feel like moving on from Bullock could force more minutes for both Hardy and Green.
Like Reply
Didn't sound very much like Kidd is interested in getting Hardy minutes the other night. A lot of "he's gotta wait" and "ask Josh" and "the minutes are spoken for" and "we've been healthy"...

FWIW, I don't expect Hardy to take as long to reach some of his potential as Green did whether he plays this season or not. The only thing I hope for him this year is that he doesn't get packaged in some deal. You just know everyone they deal with is going to ask for Green and/or Hardy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 08:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Didn't sound very much like Kidd is interested in getting Hardy minutes the other night. A lot of "he's gotta wait" and "ask Josh" and "the minutes are spoken for" and "we've been healthy"...

FWIW, I don't expect Hardy to take as long to reach some of his potential as Green did whether he plays this season or not. The only thing I hope for him this year is that he doesn't get packaged in some deal. You just know everyone they deal with is going to ask for Green and/or Hardy.

Not saying I would do these deals, but what if - All it took to get Buddy Heild was THJ and Hardy and all it took to return Harrison Barnes was Bertans and Green.  Would you do those trades?  That would be big savings down the road.
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 08:36 PM)chaparral Wrote: Not saying I would do these deals, but what if - All it took to get Buddy Heild was THJ and Hardy and all it took to return Harrison Barnes was Bertans and Green.  Would you do those trades?  That would be big savings down the road.

I would not. But that’s just one man’s opinion.

I think there’s a decent chance Green is the best player in the trade by this time next year, and even a slight chance that Hardy gets there a year later.
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 08:36 PM)chaparral Wrote: Not saying I would do these deals, but what if - All it took to get Buddy Heild was THJ and Hardy and all it took to return Harrison Barnes was Bertans and Green.  Would you do those trades?  That would be big savings down the road.

Nope to either trade - you gotta reload with youth every once in awhile. 

But if we are acquiring a true second star THAT ALSO fits with Luka, I'd flip both of those guys in heartbeat.
Like Reply

I would hate either deal.  In both cases that is basically giving up one of our few young assets to dump long term salary.  It would be a huge signal that Cuban is more concerned about cutting costs than competing.
Like Reply
Heck no to those trades. Green and Hardy should only be traded for a Star. Otherwise, stay flexible and add to your young core of Luka, Josh and Jaden either by drafting well and/or packaging picks for another young vet running mate (like OG who is 25.)
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 08:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Didn't sound very much like Kidd is interested in getting Hardy minutes the other night. A lot of "he's gotta wait" and "ask Josh" and "the minutes are spoken for" and "we've been healthy"...

I'm going to predict that this statement and it's implied conclusion (that Hardy won't get minutes this season) turns out to be way wrong, when all is said and done.

Frankly, I understood Kidd to be saying exactly the opposite of this, with an acknowledgment that he does get it, and that he does have intentionality to see that Hardy does get those needed minutes, in the right way. But FOR RIGHT NOW, and speaking to the online coaches who think they know all, he made sure to mention and justify whatever limitation in right-this-second minutes he the coach thinks necessary (because, he is the coach, not everyone else, and he is tasked with coaching to maximize 15, not 1).
Like Reply
(12-08-2022, 02:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: Frankly, I understood Kidd to be saying exactly the opposite of this, with an acknowledgment that he does get it, and that he does have intentionality to see that Hardy does get those needed minutes, in the right way. But FOR RIGHT NOW, and speaking to the online coaches who think they know all, he made sure to mention and justify whatever limitation in right-this-second minutes he the coach thinks necessary (because, he is the coach, not everyone else, and he is tasked with coaching to maximize 15, not 1).

I mean, he did say something to the effect of "things happen, people get sick or injured, but we've been healthy" and belabored that point a bit, implying that EVERYONE would get a chance to play, but he said "Jaden has to wait" and "ask Josh" about 5 times. I honestly don't know how you got "exactly the opposite" out of that, frankly. 

I do agree that part of his motivation was just to imply that he doesn't care what twitter thinks and that making that point was aided by pushing back against this, specific group-think request.

I guess I would add that what I think you mean by "minutes" isn't what some are asking for, I don't think. People seem to expect that he gets into the rotation, which I personally don't think has much of a chance barring 1-2 major injuries or some huge shakeup. I can see it next year because I'm a big fan of the kid.
Like Reply