Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
IT'S HARDY TIME: Jaden Hardy looking like a decent prospect
He has that bounce.  His play didn’t lose the game.  Keep giving him minutes.  By playoff time, he is probably back to a fringe performer but this is great learning for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I know we're going to focus on the TO's, but other than his wild passes, the dude looked incredibly comfortable in a half court set playing real minutes against the Clippers.

He broke down PG on more than one occasion and actually got to the rim multiple times. 

I still think this was a good game from him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I love Hardy. I think he has a lot of upside. I have no problem with some learning curves. He's fearless and I like him.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Hardy needs to get Wright’s minutes. That’s just a waste of time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
The Hardy experience is something else.   Call it impressive or dumb or both, but to see Leonard or Geroge get switched on him and see Hardy go whatever, I am going right at either.    He is not scared.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
Stay ready young man. I think next year will be the year of the Hardy breakout party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2X9dRLPoY
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-09-2023, 09:12 AM)MFFL Wrote: Stay ready young man. I think next year will be the year of the Hardy breakout party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2X9dRLPoY

Absolutely one of the nastiest posters in Mav history. Shades of DSJ over Demarcus Cousins.

Hopefully this dunk is enough to vault him over Frank in the rotation.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Getting his first party in the starting lineup tonight.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
I don’t get folks who can’t see we need this guy now. He might not be consistent but we need that third creator.  Killer said he is the future but to win now we can’t use him. My question is who else? It’s not like any clear guy is there that you can point to. Guys like holiday are retreads and people who look at them as the present are deluding themselves 

I like Hardy more than Green because Green tends to defer too much when there is a clear hierarchy. Hardy is dumb enough or bold enough to still want his.  Plus he has the ability to get his. Learn to live with his mistakes and roll with him. The future is now.
[-] The following 3 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Mavs2021, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 10:10 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Yes, but as soon as you start losing games because the young players made mistakes, then the even angrier mob is calling for the coaches' head on a platter.

Bump
Like Reply
(03-12-2023, 01:31 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I don’t get folks who can’t see we need this guy now. He might not be consistent but we need that third creator.  Killer said he is the future but to win now we can’t use him. My question is who else? It’s not like any clear guy is there that you can point to. Guys like holiday are retreads and people who look at them as the present are deluding themselves 

I like Hardy more than Green because Green tends to defer too much when there is a clear hierarchy. Hardy is dumb enough or bold enough to still want his.  Plus he has the ability to get his. Learn to live with his mistakes and roll with him. The future is now.

I like his fearlessness but dislike his selfishness.

So far...I see a future THJ in this kid as far as "gotta get mine" goes.

I cant stand that style of basketball in todays NBA.  Its so 90's Hero-ball when the game has evolved into a much more intelligent game...yet we still have guys stuck in the past ball-hogging or making bad decisions dribbling or shot selection.

You dont have to waste your time trying to talk it away as "but everyone else is timid...we need aggression"...its about decisions and shot selection for me.
Like Reply
(03-12-2023, 09:45 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I like his fearlessness but dislike his selfishness.

So far...I see a future THJ in this kid as far as "gotta get mine" goes.

I cant stand that style of basketball in todays NBA.  Its so 90's Hero-ball when the game has evolved into a much more intelligent game...yet we still have guys stuck in the past ball-hogging or making bad decisions dribbling or shot selection.

You dont have to waste your time trying to talk it away as "but everyone else is timid...we need aggression"...its about decisions and shot selection for me.

This term of hero ball is the most overused cliche.  The NBA has always been about stars whether it is in the 90s or now. If you don’t have unselfish 3 and D glue guys like DFS or Josh Green, you won’t win anything.  If you have 5 unselfish 3 and D guys like that you still won’t win anything. 

You need creators and the pure PG model went out a long time ago. With a creator who can score the key is they have to always walk that fine line of scoring vs passing.  It is never going to be a perfect balance that you or I will agree upon. If they pass in a key situation they will get blamed for not taking the shot If they miss, they will get blamed for not passing.  However this type of decision making needs time and actual playing time to develop. Luka is in year 5 and still shows a lot of selfishness with the ball despite his assist stats. Let this kid get some time. He was a PG in school and his ability to pass was not questioned. D League gets you into some bad habits. Give him time. 

The THJ comparison by the way is way off. THJ was never a shot creator for himself or for others. Hardy has the ability to do both. If year 3 after getting a good amount of playing time, he is doing the same, then I will come over to your side.
[-] The following 3 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • audiosway, MFFL, omahen
Like Reply
I like Hardy...and think he MAY have the tools to be pretty good.  But he is raw.  He needs quality playing time and a coach who knows how to TEACH and get the best out of his players.  Do we have that?

Haaa!

I also like MW4.  He is a point guard...not a shooting guard being used as a point guard.  But he is also a little raw, and needs quality playing time.

I think THJ is fools gold.  Looked at in the right light, and at the right angle--he flashes.  But it's fools gold.
Like Reply
(03-12-2023, 11:08 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: This term of hero ball is the most overused cliche.  The NBA has always been about stars whether it is in the 90s or now. If you don’t have unselfish 3 and D glue guys like DFS or Josh Green, you won’t win anything.  If you have 5 unselfish 3 and D guys like that you still won’t win anything. 

You need creators and the pure PG model went out a long time ago. With a creator who can score the key is they have to always walk that fine line of scoring vs passing.  It is never going to be a perfect balance that you or I will agree upon. If they pass in a key situation they will get blamed for not taking the shot If they miss, they will get blamed for not passing.  However this type of decision making needs time and actual playing time to develop. Luka is in year 5 and still shows a lot of selfishness with the ball despite his assist stats. Let this kid get some time. He was a PG in school and his ability to pass was not questioned. D League gets you into some bad habits. Give him time. 

The THJ comparison by the way is way off. THJ was never a shot creator for himself or for others. Hardy has the ability to do both. If year 3 after getting a good amount of playing time, he is doing the same, then I will come over to your side.

thanks for reinforcing my point.  dude aint a star and he acting like he is...like THJ.  true stars taking over in the fourth and putting the team on their shoulders is one thing, non-stars doing it is another.
Like Reply
(03-12-2023, 02:27 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: thanks for reinforcing my point.  dude aint a star and he acting like he is...like THJ.  true stars taking over in the fourth and putting the team on their shoulders is one thing, non-stars doing it is another.

I am sorry I can’t do anything about your reading comprehension.  

Your evaluation skills seem pretty suspect as well if you look at THJ and Hardy and see the same player. 

Was JJB a star? Yet without him breaking down defenses constantly and making big shots ( though historically his outside shooting was not that great) we don’t win that title. When Dinwiddie was good in the last playoffs we won. When his level dropped. the team dropped.  

You seem to think of creator as a star. That’s your issue. I am saying we need a third creator. If that third creator is forever scared and deferring to others who are rated higher on the pecking order, the team is not going anywhere. There will be times where Luka or Kyrie are upset. That is fine. There are many times others are upset that Luka takes bad shots.  The issue is it can’t just go to extremes where anyone including Luka, is taking more bad shots than good.  Given that this team needs a third creator and Hardy is the best option, give him the playing time. Live with the growing pains and hope for improvement.
[-] The following 4 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • audiosway, F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
@"hakeemfaan" I agree with you about the type of player Hardy is, and that it’s a type the rotation needs more of. While he’s close to being ready, and clearly going to get there (I have no doubt about that) I don’t agree that the need for that type trumps the need to have 100% of the rotation be more experienced right now, as the team desperately attempts to integrate Irving and get the ship righted in time to salvage the season. 

I think a conversation could be had about whether or not going all in on this season was any type of sane choice, and a more patient, better approach might have been to add a YOUNG player or two and see what mixing them into the rotation (while continuing to play Hardy) might’ve set up for next year. But, I don’t think it’s debatable that going all in is the choice they made, and there’s no taking it back. 

Now that Irving is here, the only way forward is to get the team playing good basketball. Now. That means bringing Hardy along a little more slowly. It just does. I still think he’ll be in the rotation by this time next year.
Like Reply
I think the kid is going to be really good.    I am a little more hopeful now that we are playing a faster pace.  I am still worried about his connection with Luka.   Hopefully that is something that grows.    

His defense is always going to be an issue.  I said earlier in the season that I am quite confident if he gets the playing time, he is eventually going to score 20 a game.  The issue is if his defense is going to allow him to stay on the floor.   I am really not a fan of him pointing (mainly to Wood) when there is a defensive breakdown.    That is a bad habit.   But I like most everything else about his confidence, enthusiasm, personality.
Like Reply
Rook led the team in minutes played for the second straight game. He looks like he belongs in the NBA but idk where his ceiling is.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Hardy has a better floor game and more defensive potential than he gets credit for. He can shoot the three and get to the rim. Sometimes, it looks like he lacks touch around the basket, but I think he just uses so many launch points in the paint to beat the shot blockers that he hasn’t mastered many of them yet. I think he will, with time and good coaching. Acquiring him in the second round is the best move of the season for this team.
[-] The following 4 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, MFFL, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(03-13-2023, 10:55 PM)MFFL Wrote: Rook led the team in minutes played for the second straight game. He looks like he belongs in the NBA but idk where his ceiling is.

He shows flashes of a consistent 20ppg kind of guy. 

I think he can be that. I think the best role would probably be a super 6th man like a Manu/JET type of role. Come off the bench, play starter minutes, score a crap ton/distribute as needed.

https://v.redd.it/g0xwd6u7m7oa1

Hardy in the USA!
Like Reply