Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: DM to CLE | Markkanen + Sexton + Agbaji + 3 1sts + 2 swaps to UTA
I guess Beasley isn't as much as a wing as I thought.  Thought he was bigger than 6'4".
Like Reply
Good trade for both teams

I think the pressure now turns to the Lakers to get a Westbrook deal done
Like Reply
1 A literal "salary match" is probably part of what it would take for a UT-DAL swap.

UT is about $2M under the tax line, per Spotrac numbers, so will be looking for the same salary or less in any trade. Cuban is already avoiding having a 15th man due to the tax ramifications, so will also be looking for the same or less.

2 There are several probably-helpful Jazz players that might be of some use to Dallas, but there's really not an ideal fit. Some wouldn't be better than what Mavs already have. I'm guessing Mavs would be very selective.

3 If Ainge has to have a pick to be willing to deal, I think DAL would walk away.
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 05:07 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I will be surprised if Dallas is interested

Idk...if it's a close salary match, then it's not extra tax, right? And, I'm sure Kidd has a healthy appreciation for one of the better PG's over the past decade. You can't say he wouldn't make the team better coming off the bench, because he absolutely would. 

I'm a big Hardaway fan and I'd swap them in a second, given the state the Mavs are in at the moment. No idea if that would interest Utah in the slightest, obviously. I kind of doubt it.
Like Reply
Conley for Hardaway and Green is an almost exact salary match
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 06:43 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Conley for Hardaway and Green is an almost exact salary match

You're probably better off this season making that deal, imho. Maaaaaaybe it looks bad in a couple of seasons if you're in the more optimistic camp regarding Green's potential. I'm on the fence. I rewatched the Utah series recently and Green had 1-2 pretty nice games. 

I wonder if that would be enough to get it done. I think if Green was locked into his rookie deal for another year or two it probably would be.
Like Reply
That seems like a lot

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/15655...66657?s=21&t=OAn9sNpXSxbRxFC4HZsZXA
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 05:49 PM)F Gump Wrote: 3 If Ainge has to have a pick to be willing to deal, I think DAL would walk away.

They better. Nothing on UTA is worth a 1st at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 08:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: They better. Nothing on UTA is worth a 1st at this point.
I agree with this. I guess if we had OKC or NYK number of picks it would be easier to let go on one for Bojan or Clarkson. I guess I’m so low on all Utah players seeing them get out of the first round only once during their run. Just seem like good regular season players but playoff shrinkers
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 08:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: They better. Nothing on UTA is worth a 1st at this point.

I'm on the fence with Clarkson.  I think he's worth a first to a contender, I'm just not sure I'd do that if I were Dallas considering we don't have a FRP readily available.  We are an injury to Dinwiddie or Luka from giving New York a really favorable pick next year.  Clarkson would make me feel a whole lot better about the outlook of the team this year.  But his final year is a player option and I think he's probably worth more than that contract number, so unless you want to invest in him long term, Dallas should want no part of him.  He's also 30.  I just don't think there is a favorable way to get him here.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 09:53 PM)cow Wrote: I just don't think there is a favorable way to get him here.

Yeah, I end up at the same place.

I think he would be an upgrade if the Mavs send Powell (saving UT 2.25M) or Powell/Franky (very small saving for UT, but they get a younger prospect in Franky). But I'm guessing Ainge would be looking for a better benefit from trading him than those, and I'm not offering a pick (which he might be able to get from someone else).
Like Reply
How about DP + a pick swap for Clarkson?

Mavs FRP for a second round pick? (could be an early second for the next 3 years).
Sample scenario: DP+23rd pick for Clarkson+34th pick.
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 10:33 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: How about DP + a pick swap for Clarkson?

Mavs FRP for a second round pick? (could be an early second for the next 3 years).
Sample scenario: DP+23rd pick for Clarkson+34th pick.

It's probably a question for @"F Gump" or @"DanSchwartzgan", but even if you could offer a provisional first (the first FRP after your owed NY pick conveys), you've just tied your hands again as I'm sure you'd want protections on a sent pick that is 2025 or later.  This would limit what you can offer in future deals and trading future picks that far out is a really dangerous game.  Clarkson can also walk after this season and I could see him getting a THJ-like contract.  Ready to pay that?

I think the cleaner deal would be a team like GSW giving up their '23 FRP should they find the need for some extra fire power before the TDL.
Like Reply
Everything has finally cleared up for Mavs to execute the deal they have lined up. Refreshing Woj and Shams every minute waiting for announcement.

Good deal for Cleveland, I think. They have good defensive pieces around DM. Will be interesting to see how he will work with Garland. They still need a good wing, imho
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Paul Gasol, RoyTarpleysGhost, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Zach Lowe released a podcast with Bobby Marks talking about the trade yesterday.  At the end, they discussed the expected to be dealt remaining Jazz.  A few notes about Conley.  I forgot he has a partial guarantee his second year, but it is 14 million.  So you probably need to consider he is going to be a 22-23 million dollar player for the next two years.  Marks stressed not too many teams are in need of high priced point guards.   Marks mentioned Dallas when struggling to list teams.   Lowe wasn't crazy about the Dallas fit.  What surprised me is he said, is Conley a better player than Dinwiddie and Lowe said yes in passing.  I don't know if he meant better overall player or a better ball handler.    I found that interesting.
Like Reply
(09-02-2022, 07:17 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: What surprised me is he said, is Conley a better player than Dinwiddie and Lowe said yes in passing.

I think we tend to go to extremes when talking about how much these guys have fallen off, sometimes. Conley was a big time player in the NBA for many years, and he had a pretty good season last year (though not a great Dallas series). 

I think he'd be worth quite a bit on this team, personally. He's not as good as he once was, but his impact would be similar to what they were trying to achieve by chasing Kyle Lowry last season. 

If he's not a fit for many teams, that's kind of a good thing, imo, because it means maybe you can get him for just a salary match. Didn't work out like this when Dragic was in Toronto, but sometimes these old warriors without a super high value get moved just to accommodate them, out of respect for who they are and what they've meant to the league. Sometimes.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman
Like Reply
Always liked Conley but he looked cooked in the playoffs. I guess he can still dribble a basketball, which is more than I can say for our bench guards.
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 10:46 PM)cow Wrote: It's probably a question for @"F Gump" or @"DanSchwartzgan", but even if you could offer a provisional first (the first FRP after your owed NY pick conveys), you've just tied your hands again as I'm sure you'd want protections on a sent pick that is 2025 or later.  This would limit what you can offer in future deals and trading future picks that far out is a really dangerous game.  

A first for a second pick swap is just a trading of picks and doesn't enjoy any benefit over simply trading the pick.  "Pick swaps" are typically first for first.  Dallas could do a first for first pick swap of the next pick that belongs to them (which could be 24, 25 or 26), but the trading partner has to designate a first to swap in each of those years.  The swap could occur one year earlier than the next pick Dallas can trade.

Example:  Dallas 23 conveys to NY.  Dallas does a pick swap (exchange of first rounders) of its next available first (in this case 24).  Dallas can still trade its 25 because it made Utah's pick in 24.  But, such a deal made now has to also account for the fact the Dallas pick to NY might not convey until 24 or 25.
Like Reply
I thought this was an interesting nugget from Hollinger on Sexton:

"So why four years and $72 million for Sexton? Because that was the only number that worked.

On the Jazz’s end, they couldn’t pay him any more without putting other players in the deal. The most 2022-23 salary Sexton could make in this version of the trade was $17,545,911. Sending another player from Utah to Cleveland to increase that amount would have put the Cavs perilously close to the luxury tax. As ever, having an upper limit set by outside forces is an expedient way to push contract negotiations to their conclusion."
Like Reply
(09-02-2022, 08:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I thought this was an interesting nugget from Hollinger on Sexton:

"So why four years and $72 million for Sexton? Because that was the only number that worked.

On the Jazz’s end, they couldn’t pay him any more without putting other players in the deal. The most 2022-23 salary Sexton could make in this version of the trade was $17,545,911. Sending another player from Utah to Cleveland to increase that amount would have put the Cavs perilously close to the luxury tax. As ever, having an upper limit set by outside forces is an expedient way to push contract negotiations to their conclusion."

I'm pretty intrigued by the Sexton situation from a number of angles. Like this, for example: He clearly turned down offers for his worth according to league consensus (much lower than this, apparently) hoping to get a payday. I suppose you could argue that he got it, though for all we know he was aiming for a max. No accounting for how these guys view themselves. 

I wonder, is he happy today, knowing he got paid and feeling like he bet on himself and won, or is he pissed that he'll have to go to Utah and win 20 games next year to get it?

Would this same deal have been available a month ago, or did it happen because someone was finally successful in communicating to Sexton "look, this is your last chance at anything remotely resembling the kind of offer you want"? I think that type of stuff is fascinating.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL, Not an evil robot, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply