Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EUROBASKET 2022: Greece (Giannis), Serbia (Jokic), & Slovenia (Luka) out
(09-02-2022, 05:15 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Might be unconnected to the Dallas party, he also sat a few seats apart. He's Franz Wagner's coach.
For that reason alone he wouldn't need to travel so far for another players events.
No, I cannot imagine that he came uninvited by Dirk. But if that's the case, it really tells something. Because RC wasn't there. But then the question would still be if he was even invited or just couldn't make it.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...6837622784
Like Reply
If Dorsey turns out to be good, it will be tricky (contractually) to navigate him to end up as a long-term Mav role player. The ability (or lack of same) of Mavs FO will be on full display, as they try to navigate how to get it done well, and part of the challenge will be issues with the rules (limits in what kind of money the Mavs can offer, and how to use the ability to make him a RFA without necessarily having much ability to match offers).

If he continues to look good, the Mavs might be kinda forced to use him as value in trade, in order to get much benefit from having having.

If I was doing it, I would focus on obtaining the most precise evaluation possible in camp that I can get of him, and get a feel for his future. Much easier to say than do, of course. But if he looks VERY promising, the clock will start ticking down quickly, so before the rest of the league gets a read on him (and starts trying to woo his agent), I'd want to get him on board to being a Mav for 2 years. That takes an NBA deal, not two-way, and Mavs only have minimums to offer (with a 2-year limit). It's in CUBAN's best interest financially to have him stay on the 2-way until he's played 50 games (because 2-way salaries don't get taxed), but that's risky since the longer you wait, then the more Dorsey might show something of value, which then might make him want to decline any deal in favor of 2023 free agency. If he's good, what is given higher priority - Cuban pinching pennies, or the Mavs' future?

There's a big caveat in all this focus on Dorsey, which is that results in non-NBA settings can be very deceptive. He might be just a guy once he's here. In games with NBA players at every position, there are 5 NBA players trying to stop his offense (instead of an NBA guy here and a bunch of spares there) and 4 NBA players on his team forcing him to share the ball where they are better than he is.

How well the Mavs FO does on this one is going to be revelatory as to Mavs evaluating, developing, and negotiating skills these days.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Dahlsim, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Another interesting name with some NBA experience. Dzanan Musa. 29th pick in 2018. Played for the Nets but never earned more than a garbage time role. Has been out of the league for nearly two years. Still only 23 years old.

Averaged 20/5/3 in spain last season. Lead the league in scoring.
Dropped 19/5/6 in the first game against Hungary. 30pts on 13/17 FG today against Germany.
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 11:05 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Another interesting name with some NBA experience. Dzanan Musa. 29th pick in 2018. Played for the Nets but never earned more than a garbage time role. Has been out of the league for nearly two years. Still only 23 years old.

Averaged 20/5/3 in spain last season. Lead the league in scoring.
Dropped 19/5/6 in the first game against Hungary. 30pts on 13/17 FG today against Germany.

Yeah that´s what Real Madrid figured as well, so they signed him to a two year deal on July 14th, while Cuban was still playing with his pipi.
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 11:42 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah that´s what Real Madrid figured as well, so they signed him to a two year deal on July 14th, while Cuban was still playing with his pipi.

I thought Nico was GM.
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 04:11 PM)WillE Wrote: They're both very different from Maxi. Maxi is quicker, more athletic and better defensively.

JT and Joe are both rather more traditional bigs, but both can shoot the 3 and score better from close to the basket.

Joe sure has the higher chances of making it to the NBA, but I have not seen or heard anything pointing into that direction.
Voigtmann signed with Olympia Milano yesterday, so even though I think he could be good enough for a bench role in the NBA that ship should have sailed with yesterday.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1566091235089063936?s=20&t=JlhNvFGDuGoefyXJ9oK3ag

Surprised I haven't seen this posted yet. Y'all ready for Schroeder?
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 12:27 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: I thought Nico was GM.

Do people really think this?

Nico is the GM in the sense of “Hey Nico, can you find out from your connections if Dinwiddie is fed up in Wash and will be good here?”

In terms of planning the roster, I imagine Nico is behind Cuban, Kidd, and the analytics department, in that order.

(09-03-2022, 02:53 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1566091235089063936?s=20&t=JlhNvFGDuGoefyXJ9oK3ag

At this point, yes.
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 02:58 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: In terms of planning the roster, I imagine Nico is behind Cuban, Kidd, and the analytics department, in that order.

You might be right. It's clear that the team is targeting a different sort of player than they have in the past, but that could have more to do with subtracting Donnie than it does with adding Harrison, who knows? 

I have a feeling Finley has more power than we usually attribute to him around here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...8439508995
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/valiapilianidi/statu...9490471938
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You might be right. It's clear that the team is targeting a different sort of player than they have in the past, but that could have more to do with subtracting Donnie than it does with adding Harrison, who knows? 

I have a feeling Finley has more power than we usually attribute to him around here.
The new MBT in my head:

Nico: the face of the franchise around the people that don’t like Cuban. Players, agents etc. He’s in charge of dealing with other teams and having the relationships 

Kidd: babysit the players and win the games. He deals with player problems that Cuban used to deal with. Also has a voice on team personnel decisions 

Analytics: decide who plays and stay away from the team

Finley: Nico’s right hand man. Deals with all the behind the scenes problems 

Cuban: be Cuban and try to micro manage everything 

Dirk: voice of reason. The one guy that can tell Mark to sit down and shut up if needed
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TDORSEY_1/status/156...0129709060
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/EuroBasket/status/15...9146064896
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 02:53 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1566091235089063936?s=20&t=JlhNvFGDuGoefyXJ9oK3ag

Doesn´t matter one bit to me that Nico and Finley were there. There is no negotiation necessary. It´s the minimum. They won´t impact his decision at all.

I do however read something into the fact that his former coach and ATG PG Jason Kidd was there in person.
Like Reply
[Image: FbxR492WAAAyNmC?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
[Image: FbxR492XgAAXK4f?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(09-03-2022, 02:58 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Do people really think this?

Nico is the GM in the sense of “Hey Nico, can you find out from your connections if Dinwiddie is fed up in Wash and will be good here?”

In terms of planning the roster, I imagine Nico is behind Cuban, Kidd, and the analytics department, in that order.

At this point, yes.

Tim Macmahon had interview few days ago in Slovenia, where he said that for every move, Cuban have to give ''green light''.

https://www.rtvslo.si/sport/kosarka/liga...lov/638859
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAVS-SLO's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Whatever happens got to give the Mavs a little credit that they look pretty smart inking the 3rd leading scorer in Dorsey with their limited resources. Would look even better, if they listened to me sometimes and acquired the 57th pick in 2017 (in the middle of a rebuild) to draft Vezenkov, the current leading tournament scorer and rebounder averaging 27/13.5, who also happens to be the reigning Greek League MVP and all Euro-League first team. Cry 

Oh he´s 27 now and his draft rights have since landed on the Kings, which makes him the new Bogdan Bogdanovic. Just saying Nico. You could become the first Mavs GM to win a trade with the Kings. Big Grin Tongue
Like Reply