Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(07-10-2022, 10:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this. I would absolutely start him if he’s here on the roster, especially now with Brunson gone.

It's what makes Kidd's comments about starting McGee and Din so weird.  THJ is obviously better in a starting roll but Luka and DFS are obviously starting.  I'm assuming Wood is starting.  I'd prefer Din be the 6th man and THJ start.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this. I would absolutely start him if he’s here on the roster, especially now with Brunson gone.
Training camp/time can change thoughts (for Kidd). If this is our team going into training camp, it wouldn’t surprise me if THJ wins the starting role over SD (or it changes at some point during the season). 

I will say, for those saying who is the ball handler for the second team (not saying that is you KL)? Minutes can be staggered, even with the 2 best handlers starting, to keep at least 1 of them on the court throughout the game.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:06 PM)cow Wrote: It's what makes Kidd's comments about starting McGee and Din so weird.  THJ is obviously better in a starting roll but Luka and DFS are obviously starting.  I'm assuming Wood is starting.  I'd prefer Din be the 6th man and THJ start.

I think there's a Kidd motif emerging -- if you don't create the offense that gets the good shots for everyone (Luka, SD), then your defense is what will get you minutes, and starts.

There are big questions about THJ's defense. Wood's too. So Bullock starts over THJ, and McGee over Wood.
Like Reply
I can see why he would say McGee is starting, but I would think that the guard you want on the floor with the jumbo lineup is THJ, not Din.  Din flourishes in space, while THJ is the guy you want getting those kickouts and (theoretically) creating space for the Luka/McGee Luka/Wood actions to occur.  Also, if you want to keep Luka or Din on the floor at all times, It pretty much guarantees that Din is the first sub out... WITH McGee. So while Din would obviously play more minutes, Din and McGee would be sort of connected in their playing time.  I don't think that is optimal.  Training camp and early season will certainly get everything sorted out with the rotations, but it will be interesting to see how that works itself out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think there's a Kidd motif emerging -- if you don't create the offense that gets the good shots for everyone (Luka, SD), then your defense is what will get you minutes, and starts.

There are big questions about THJ's defense. Wood's too. So Bullock starts over THJ, and McGee over Wood.

I'd honestly like Bullock in the starting lineup and I'm probably overly excited about Wood and penciling him in as a starter.  Wood can create his own for the second unit I guess.  I'd still be worried about injuries to Din.  We really do need that 3rd creator at some point.  I do think THJ is getting traded by the TDL, playing him off the bench probably isn't the best thing for his value but you can't operate a team like that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
To me, Dinwiddie is one of the best bench pieces in the NBA, and particularly valuable against bench units, who are generally less equipped to deal with his size, while Luka is on the bench. 

On the floor to start games, off-ball, while McGee is out there, without the wide open paint? I worry about him being just a guy in that situation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To me, Dinwiddie is one of the best bench pieces in the NBA, and particularly valuable against bench units, who are generally less equipped to deal with his size, while Luka is on the bench. 

On the floor to start games, off-ball, while McGee is out there, without the wide open paint? I worry about him being just a guy in that situation.

I just want to keep his minutes down which can also be accomplished by starting I guess.  McGee might see an uptick in minutes this year but I think we are overthinking Kidd's "starter" comments here.  Adjustments will be made if one guy is getting in the way of another.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To me, Dinwiddie is one of the best bench pieces in the NBA, and particularly valuable against bench units, who are generally less equipped to deal with his size, while Luka is on the bench. 

I could certainly see the argument for starting THJ or Bullock instead with McGee out there. Playmaking would be a problem, but we're just shuffling that problem around right now anyway.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:27 PM)cow Wrote: I just want to keep his minutes down which can also be accomplished by starting I guess.

Oh dude, starting or not starting, with Brunson gone, they’re going to lean on Dinwiddie this year like he’s prime Kobe. The injury concern is real, but just as real for me is the idea that he’s about to get Peter Principle’d.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To me, Dinwiddie is one of the best bench pieces in the NBA, and .

To make that an option, they need another offense-creating ballhandler to start next to Luka. Someone who can make things happen so Luka doesn't have to do it all, like that Brunson kid in NY. If he's not available, then someone.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh dude, starting or not starting, with Brunson gone, they’re going to lean on Dinwiddie this year like he’s prime Kobe. The injury concern is real, but just as real for me is the idea that he’s about to get Peter Principle’d.

He's averaged 48 games played in his 8 seasons.  If they lean on him like that and he survives it, I hope it is his last year in Dallas.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:33 PM)cow Wrote: He's averaged 48 games played in his 8 seasons.  If they lean on him like that and he survives it, I hope it is his last year in Dallas.

I just don’t see how they have a choice. 

There is a LOT that can go wrong for this team. 

depressed earth
Like Reply

Exactly my point.  You might as well have Bull start if that is the case - at least you have the D out there.  Din is miscast as a spot up shooter on the floor with the PNR crowd.  Man, I think Dan brought up Conley in a different thread, and I was thinking he would be really good here in that role.  Start with luka/Conley/DFS/Wood/McGee.  He can guard PG's and is a knock down shooter while still providing excellent secondary playmaking.  THEN sub in Din/Maxi for the space game.  I am not sure if acquiring him is feasible, but I'd take 2 years of Conley in that role for JB snt and powell.  But yeah, Din excites me off the bench.  I think he doesn't fit as a starter.  I guess we will see.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just don’t see how they have a choice. 

There is a LOT that can go wrong for this team. 

depressed earth

I wonder how the mini camp went with Waiters and Evans.

[Image: giphy.gif]
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:40 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Exactly my point.  You might as well have Bull start if that is the case - at least you have the D out there.  Din is miscast as a spot up shooter on the floor with the PNR crowd.  Man, I think Dan brought up Conley in a different thread, and I was thinking he would be really good here in that role.  Start with luka/Conley/DFS/Wood/McGee.  He can guard PG's and is a knock down shooter while still providing excellent secondary playmaking.  THEN sub in Din/Maxi for the space game.  I am not sure if acquiring him is feasible, but I'd take 2 years of Conley in that role for JB snt and powell.  But yeah, Din excites me off the bench.  I think he doesn't fit as a starter.  I guess we will see.

Great idea, I’d love Conley. 

Sadly, I think the snt ship has sailed.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Great idea, I’d love Conley. 

Sounds like we’ll know tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:42 PM)cow Wrote: I wonder how the mini camp went with Waiters and Evans.

Now THAT’S the type of question you want your fans asking immediately after making the Western Conference Finals! Keep up the good work, Cuban and Nico!

depressed earth
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Great idea, I’d love Conley. 

Do you love Conley or the idea of what Conley was.  I don't remember anything about him in our series.  He's has another year on his deal guaranteed at 14m.  Also, never trade with Ainge.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:45 PM)cow Wrote: Do you love Conley or the idea of what Conley was.  I don't remember anything about him in our series.  He's has another year on his deal guaranteed at 14m.  Also, never trade with Ainge.

I love the idea of Jalen Brunson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Now THAT’S the type of question you want your fans asking immediately after making the Western Conference Finals! Keep up the good work, Cuban and Nico!

depressed earth

I still wanted Evans for our Burke (break in case of emergency) role but with only one spot left, even if he's the best version of himself, we need more minutes than he can possibly give.
Like Reply