Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(07-06-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes. I'm not meaning to insert myself into the McGee debate, but this board way got the wrong idea about Looney. 

He wasn't out there backing down defenders and then unleashing a huge array of pivot/footwork to score points. He was leaking into the paint after the team with the best ball movement in the NBA had gotten 4-5 passes into a possession and our poor Mavs defenders were completely bumfuzzled and out of position. 

Was part of that success unique to him being on the floor? Probably, but only because chemistry and familiarity with certain lineups is (I believe) much more crucial than we here often think.

But, the reason he was on the floor is because Luka/Brunson were unable to play him off of it. AND THEY TRIED. He earned those minutes on defense, not offense. Then, he also did some valuable things on offense and on the glass. But, it started with him handling Luka in space better than Gobert did, and MUCH better than Ayton did. 

Don't hate the McGee signing, but he's not that guy.

I agree with some of that.  They did get points off of superior ball movement.  That is what they do.  But they also demolished us on the boards and had MANY putbacks/second chance points.  I agree it is a balance, but its like football.  If you can't stop the other team from running the ball, you are screwed.  You don't have to be the best rebounding/interior defensive team, but you can't completely punt on that either.  Wood and McGee are both much better rebounders than anything we had last season.  Even with Porzingis.  That will make a big difference.  If Wood can be the defender that his athletic profile suggests he could, I am excited for the improvement.  At the very least, they will finish off more possessions with a def reb.  McGee isn't a big minute guy.  He is an option against teams where he is needed.  It was needed at times last season, and we didn't have anything to turn to.  Now we have a guy to set a tone and back up as needed per the game strategy.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA: McGee to DAL - by KillerLeft - 06-30-2022, 06:41 PM
RE: FA: McGee to DAL - by Mavs2021 - 06-30-2022, 06:47 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee to DAL - by Kammrath - 06-30-2022, 06:41 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee to DAL - by MrGoat - 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: FA: Javale McGee to DAL - by Fuerza1 - 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee to DAL - by cow - 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20M to DAL - by omahen - 06-30-2022, 06:45 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M to DAL - by cow - 06-30-2022, 06:46 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M to DAL - by cow - 06-30-2022, 06:47 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - by Mavsfan12 - 07-06-2022, 06:58 PM