Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(07-01-2022, 08:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Agree with most of this. Just don´t think that McGee at his current age is the best solution. Especially because the Mavs desperately need to address the lack of assets on the roster.
Other problem is that basketball doesn´t allow for as many situationable subs as other sports. Flexiblity is important and will hopefully help the Mavs in certain matchups but it always comes with a trade off. In this case rim protection + rebounding instead of perimeter defense/switching + shooting.

I am not sure if McGee will be a part of the 7-8 man playoff rotation that we talked about in the last couple of weeks. Would argue that his value in the last few seasons was more about his durability in the regular season. In the playoffs he was an afterthought. Suns tried to give him a few spot minutes. Lakers made a crucial decision and benched him for the rest of their playoff run after a couple of bad games in the WCFs.

I think of him as a regular season body that can reduce the load of Woods and Kleber. But when it matters I don´t want to see him on the floor.

I agree for the most part.   Although I am not sure who or what was available.   I think he could be a pretty nice part this year....but does it matter at this point?

Years 2 and 3?  Ideally you would want someone who may be a 5 million investment now but in the next year or two is a 10 million dollar asset.  I don't think McGee will be that.  He may not be someone we want on the team in 2 years.   

I do think a 15-20 minute center is better priced at 5-6 million rather than 10 million per year.  So that is solid roster thinking.  But it is tough to come to grips when we have so many recently acquired players who have over valued contracts.

(07-01-2022, 08:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Agree with most of this. Just don´t think that McGee at his current age is the best solution. Especially because the Mavs desperately need to address the lack of assets on the roster.
Other problem is that basketball doesn´t allow for as many situationable subs as other sports. Flexiblity is important and will hopefully help the Mavs in certain matchups but it always comes with a trade off. In this case rim protection + rebounding instead of perimeter defense/switching + shooting.

I am not sure if McGee will be a part of the 7-8 man playoff rotation that we talked about in the last couple of weeks. Would argue that his value in the last few seasons was more about his durability in the regular season. In the playoffs he was an afterthought. Suns tried to give him a few spot minutes. Lakers made a crucial decision and benched him for the rest of their playoff run after a couple of bad games in the WCFs.

I think of him as a regular season body that can reduce the load of Woods and Kleber. But when it matters I don´t want to see him on the floor.

I agree for the most part.   Although I am not sure who or what was available.   I think he could be a pretty nice part this year....but does it matter at this point?

Years 2 and 3?  Ideally you would want someone who may be a 5 million investment now but in the next year or two is a 10 million dollar asset.  I don't think McGee will be that.  He may not be someone we want on the team in 2 years.   

I do think a 15-20 minute center is better priced at 5-6 million rather than 10 million per year.  So that is solid roster thinking.  But it is tough to come to grips when we have so many recently acquired players who have over valued contracts.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA: McGee to DAL - by KillerLeft - 06-30-2022, 06:41 PM
RE: FA: McGee to DAL - by Mavs2021 - 06-30-2022, 06:47 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee to DAL - by Kammrath - 06-30-2022, 06:41 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee to DAL - by MrGoat - 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: FA: Javale McGee to DAL - by Fuerza1 - 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee to DAL - by cow - 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20M to DAL - by omahen - 06-30-2022, 06:45 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M to DAL - by cow - 06-30-2022, 06:46 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M to DAL - by cow - 06-30-2022, 06:47 PM
RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - by Chicagojk - 07-01-2022, 08:50 AM