Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
From my calculations, the $20mm reports imply McGee got the full Taxpayer MLE. But if it's true that they reserved money for Hardy, then it will be about $17mm. I'll be interested to see where it lands.

In any case, I do like McGee here. I'm not convinced he's a starter, but if it's in the Powell honorary starter role for a while then that's fine. Even at his age, I think he's a good value for what he offers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Kidd and Dudley may have coached him 2 years ago during the Covid BS year but two years is a lifetime for a big in your 30s.  

McGee will bring shotblocking and rebounding.  No question about that.  But he has never struck me as a net positive player.  For every shot he blocks, he misses a defensive assignment that gives up a layup.  For every rebound, he collects he turns it over leading to an easy two points.

He is a worse Samuel Dalembert.  And Dalembert only played til he was 33.
Like Reply
He's been a 15 mpg guy almost every place he's been. I don't think that changes here.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft, StepBackJay
Like Reply
I like McGee but this is a bigger overpay than the supposed overpay that Brunson got from NY.  An aging backup center.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Was pretty good last year, but he’s old, has been up and down over his career and is prone to get exposed. He may have one decent year left playing 12-15 minutes a game. Pretty much a waste of money but maybe down the line he can be salary filler in a trade. The Mavs have gotten owned even more than usual in free agency this year. The only way to salvage this signing is by trading one of their other bigs for a big upgrade somewhere else.
Like Reply
I don't understand all the complaints about McGee based on him only being a 15-20 mpg player. They didn't need or have room for a 30 mpg big man, with both Wood and Kleber already here and expected to split the C minutes.

The Mavs had a need for a part-timer who will play limited minutes when they need a more traditional big, who will be ready in case of injury or sickness or foul trouble , and who won't make waves -- which, in fact, is exactly what McGee has been and has excelled at in recent years.

We wanted to solve that problem area (or a different one) with the MLE asset, and they got it done. One problem solved, for less than the MLE (enough less to slide Hardy into a more team-friendly deal).

Not sure how the "starter" thing will play out -- but maybe it will be like D Steve years ago, who started and added some early physicality to set a tone?
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Mavsfan12, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't understand all the complaints about McGee based on him only being a 15-20 mpg player. They didn't need or have room for a 30 mpg big man, with both Wood and Kleber already here and expected to split the C minutes.

The Mavs had a need for a part-timer who will play limited minutes when they need a more traditional big, who will be ready in case of injury or sickness or foul trouble , and who won't make waves -- which, in fact, is exactly what McGee has been and has excelled at in recent years.

We wanted to solve that problem area (or a different one) with the MLE asset, and they got it done. One problem solved, for less than the MLE (enough less to slide Hardy into a more team-friendly deal).

Not sure how the "starter" thing will play out -- but maybe it will be like D Steve years ago, who started and added some early physicality to set a tone?

I drove the McGee bandwagon so I obviously love the player.  I don't really like the contract, specifically the years, but I think we just need to come to the conclusion that to get any free agent, Mavs are going to need to overpay.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:13 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I like McGee but this is a bigger overpay than the supposed overpay that Brunson got from NY.  An aging backup center.

ok. But, JB is the first player to get a $100 million dollar deal from a new team without being an all-star. Would you feel better if Cuban had offered JB $150/5? It sounds like that much wouldn't have even changed his mind. I don't know about you but I would not be a happy camper today if money like that had even just been offered in a token fashion to JB.

I get it that JB is a fan fave. Doesn't make him a $100 million dollar player.

McGee is only getting about $5.5 M per year. That's much better than Powell's $11 million this next year.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
When everybody else goes small, you go big? 

Wood, MaGee, Isaac would be a serious counterculture move. I would have to respect that regardless of whether it works. So there could be lemonade to make from what right now seems pretty lemony.

But right now? Having watched the TPE expire and the refusal to offer Jalen market rate? Can’t make myself happy over F’n JaVale MaGee.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:41 PM)audiosway Wrote: That's much better than Powell's $11 million this next year.

Only one more year of Powell!
Like Reply
I can't believe y'all don't like this signing.

McGee was probably the best backup big in the league last year. 5 mil for that is still HALF of what we're paying Powell.

Him starting doesn't really matter. Powell started every playoff game for 3 minutes, and it had no effect to what the Mavs were doing. McGee even at age 35 is better than Powell today.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't understand all the complaints about McGee based on him only being a 15-20 mpg player. They didn't need or have room for a 30 mpg big man, with both Wood and Kleber already here and expected to split the C minutes.

If he was young, I wouldn't care.  Sign Bamba in that role, and I am fine with the signing even though Mcgee is the better player at the moment.  But the Mavs need some players that have some upside that they can pair with Luka and grow with Luka.  McGee is not that.  He never will be.

And I'm not sure the Mavs are capable of finding that youthful upside to pair with Luka.  Wood could fit that mold because he will be 27 at the start of next season.  Is he the only Mav that fits that mold.  And he has huge question marks and not a ton more upside (IMO).  He is entering his 7th year in the league and that doesn't include a year he wasn't in the league in that span. 

Dimwiddie?  He is 29 and entering his 9th year in the league.  He is what he is at this point.  And he is a good player in spurts....  

So it is disappointing to me.  And losing Brunson (who had flaws) for nothing certainly didn't help that youthful upside one bit.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bayliss's post:
  • hakeemfaan, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
I’m shocked at the reaction here. The Mavs run in the playoffs was incredible and highly improbable given how they were utterly dominated in the front court. I don’t have points in the paint stats handy, but here are the rebounding differentials for the 3 playoff series

Mavs v Jazz: -7.1
Mavs v Suns: -7.7
Mavs v Warriors: -11.4

They ended the season with a big rotation of Maxi/Powell/Boban. They will start next season with a rotation of Wood/Maxi/McGee (assuming Powell is moved).

The first two moves they made addressed their most glaring weakness. I for one am ecstatic to see the MBT executing what appears to be a calculated and coordinated offseason plan instead of just swinging for big fish and then filling up roster spots with scraps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:47 PM)Bayliss Wrote: Sign Bamba in that role, and I am fine with the signing even though Mcgee is the better player at the moment. 

A lot of the young guys people mentioned, Mo included, the Mavs couldn't afford.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:54 PM)cow Wrote: A lot of the young guys people mentioned, Mo included, the Mavs couldn't afford.

Looks like Mo just signed a two year deal with Orlando for 10.5 mil a year.......
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:56 PM)Bayliss Wrote: We shall see what Bamba gets on the market.  I don't think he will get more than 7 million.

2 for 21 already happened.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/...3300392960
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:57 PM)cow Wrote: 2 for 21 already happened.

They didn't give him a qualifying offer and signed him for a million dollars more.  That seems very strange.  But it's the Magic.  Where young players go to languish.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 10:01 PM)Bayliss Wrote: They didn't give him a qualifying offer and signed him for a million dollars more.  That seems very strange.  But it's the Magic.  Where young players go to languish.

I *think* that makes him tradeable right away.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 10:02 PM)cow Wrote: I *think* that makes him tradeable right away.

Well, maybe they will take Bertans and Powell off our hands for him and Ross.
Like Reply
While he is a borderline reformed goofus, I will give the signing an A... IF...

Dwight is gone, he comes off the bench (unless we have to go big) and there are more moves to come.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply