Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
Mavs history repeating itself.  Cuban lets Nash walk then overpays to sign Dampier.  Now Cuban lets Brunson walk and overpays McGee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:31 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: When you finally think the new FO is embracing modern basketball and then Shaqtin is your new starting center…

Please tell me this MF is coming off the bench

Oh, he will be.

Coming off the bench for Powell, that is.
Like Reply
Well Nico said he wanted better rebounding and rim protection after we lost to GS.  I am quite confident McGhee does both better than Powell.

On the other hand, Powell does a lot of not stat stuff probably better and is a great teammate.  McGhee has supposedly matured a lot and is a good teammate now too.  

McGhee was good last year and a few times when we played them I thought he is excellent.  I just am surprised by the direction.

I did think Kidd wanted to get bigger and more physical.  So I am not surprised they looked to get a different player than Powell in there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:34 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Well Nico said he wanted better rebounding and rim protection after we lost to GS.  I am quite confident McGhee does both better than Powell.

On the other hand, Powell does a lot of not stat stuff probably better and is a great teammate.  McGhee has supposedly matured a lot and is a good teammate now too.  

McGhee was good last year and a few times when we played them I thought he is excellent.  I just am surprised by the direction.

I did think Kidd wanted to get bigger and more physical.  So I am not surprised they looked to get a different player than Powell in there.

I think this signing shows Kidd is serious about being physical and good defensively. McGee's last few years have been about Defense, Rebounds, and Put Backs. He's learned to limit the mistakes and over play. Kidd was part of a title team with McGee and AD in the front court.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • Mavsfan12, MrGoat
Like Reply
Thought I would NEVER have to say, "Mavs doing Mavs things"
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:37 PM)audiosway Wrote: I think this signing shows Kidd is serious about being physical and good defensively. McGee's last few years have been about Defense, Rebounds, and Put Backs. He's learned to limit the mistakes and over play. Kidd was part of a title team with McGee and AD in the front court.

I can see that.  I just don't see this team as a contender as is.   I will re-evaluate it when all is finished.   May need to wait until next offseason though...maybe.

I can see not wanting to wear out Wood playing all the tough center minutes.  This gives them 15-18 minutes of a bigger body.   Wood/Kleber will get the rest  with some 4 run as well.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:37 PM)audiosway Wrote: Defense, Rebounds

McGee was 29.7% DRbd% and 6.1% Blk% last year. 

That is 10th in the league and 4th in the league respectively.

That is ELITE rebounding and shotblocking for the minutes he can give you.
[-] The following 8 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • audiosway, BolsDamols, DanSchwartzgan, Mavsfan12, michaeltex, MrGoat, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Luka will average 10+ assists with Wood and Mcgee in the line up.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote: McGee was 29.7% DRbd% and 6.1% Blk% last year. 

With a 22.6 PER I would add.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • MrGoat, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote: McGee was 29.7% DRbd% and 6.1% Blk% last year. 

As your 3rd center and minimum salary it would be a great addition. He was on my list of bigs I’d like and somehow the Mavs made me dislike the move. Incredible really.
Like Reply
McGee addresses a need. Shotblocking, length, athleticism and rebounding
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • audiosway, Mavsfan12, Reunion Mav
Like Reply

Yeah, seriously, if it's 15 minutes of backup center minutes they could do worse. I would've preferred someone cheaper or someone with an upward pointing arrow, like Claxton, but I don't hate this. 

If he's starting next to Wood, I'm going to be pissed.
Like Reply
Biyombo was +11.0 on/off in the play-offs. McGee was -4.1 on/off. How was he any good? We give him 21/7 and the Suns will re-sign Biyombo for less money. It´s VAJ vs. Harrell 2.0.

The mental gymnastics every failed off-season are stunning.

I´m begging Cuban to sign a literal corpse to the MLE next year.

Some of you would be like: Listen I heard he´s ice cold in the clutch, just going about his business quietly, no further decline over the duration of his contract, not catching feelings when you try to trade him. When you want to talk extension, you know exactly where to find him and he´ll listen.

Oh and he´s better than Powell. Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Fuerza1, Smitty
Like Reply

People just haven't watched him since his Wizards/Nuggets days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If he's starting next to Wood, I'm going to be pissed.

BE PREPARED
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Exactly what they needed. Him and Wood are really going to beef up that front court. They got hammered in the front court against the Suns and Warriors. No more of the easy trips to the basket.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 3 users Like audiosway's post:
  • Kammrath, Mavsfan12, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:46 PM)cow Wrote: People just haven't watched him since his Wizards/Nuggets days.

I'm not a fan of the player, but Kidd coached him in LA, so if he thinks he can wring some good out of the geezer, that's good enough for me. It's just the "starting" bit that completely ruined my chi, but I bet that's not even how it plays out.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:46 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Biyombo was +11.0 on/off in the play-offs. McGee was -4.1 on/off. How was he any good? We give him 21/7 and the Suns will re-sign Biyombo for less money. It´s VAJ vs. Harrell 2.0.

The mental gymnastics every failed off-season are stunning.

I´m begging Cuban to sign a literal corpse to the MLE next year.

Some of you would be like: Listen I heard he´s ice cold in the clutch, just going about his business quietly, no further decline over the duration of his contract, not catching feelings when you try to trade him. When you want to talk extension, you know exactly where to find him and he´ll listen.

Oh and he´s better than Powell. Tongue

I needed the laugh. Appreciate it brother.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not a fan of the player, but Kidd coached him in LA, so if he thinks he can wring some good out of the geezer, that's good enough for me. It's just the "starting" bit that completely ruined my chi, but I bet that's not even how it plays out.

If our rotation is Wood, Maxi, McGee and Powell, there are situations that all of these players can be successful in and games that they might not be playable in.  That rotation of who will start and play is going to be very fluid and depend on matchup.   While I think we overpaid, he's not that expensive to completely lose our shit over.  Maybe just a little shit for that 3rd year.  I too wish it was a 1YR @$4M or 2YR @$8M but it is what it is.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's just the "starting" bit that completely ruined my chi, but I bet that's not even how it plays out.

I would think he is just "effing" around by saying that.
Like Reply