Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(07-11-2022, 02:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Isolation D (this is not post ups)...

McGee: 84.2 percentile (0.71 PPP)

DP: 63.4 percentile (0.84 PPP)

These are the plays when a player is isolated one on one on the perimeter. So this is the perimeter D you are looking for @"ItsGoTime"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Isolation D (this is not post ups)...

McGee: 84.2 percentile (0.71 PPP)

DP: 63.4 percentile (0.84 PPP)
Ok, so he's not as slow footed as is being reported. I'm glad to see that.

(07-11-2022, 03:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: These are the plays when a player is isolated one on one on the perimeter. So this is the perimeter D you are looking for @"ItsGoTime"
That goes exactly opposite to what is being said around here.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ok, so he's not as slow footed as is being reported. I'm glad to see that.

I mean we all watched him isolated against Luka and pick Luka's pocket and go the distance. He has always been an ELITE athlete with ELITE length. If his head is right he is all you want from a big man defensively.
Like Reply
I view the McGee signing on how he matches up to the best teams in the West.  For me that is LAC and the Warriors.   We need McGee to break even against Zubac and Looney.    In these matchups, it will probably be a rush to see which big can get played off the floor first.    But in the meantime, in this years playoffs and in several Clippers games, both Looney and Zubac have had some good games against us.   Sure Zubac struggled in some of those playoff matchups, but check out some of his lines in '20 and '21 below.  We need to get similar production in a matchup against those teams.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/ivica-zubac-vs-dallas

In looking at the Clippers, I think there is still glaring we need another wing who can defend.    Clippers are really positioned well to go big early, but their most damage will be going small but being able to play big with Kawaii, George, Batum playing the wings.   

We also need another creator because their length will really make things tough for our players who rely on open looks.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Is there a stat that rates his perimeter defense? I don't think McGee is a Vucevic level slow footed perimeter defender and my hope is that with Maxi/Wood in there as off ball rim protectors, taking McGee out to the perimeter isn't gonna be as detrimental as is being talked about. Adding less second chance points/opportunities to the opposition will be nice to see for once.

Difficult. Even tracking numbers are far from perfect because they only give us one scenario without the context. We know that Powell played in a switch-heavy defense that relied on his foot speed to switch onto wings/guards and make quick rotations. McGee played drop defense and stayed closer to the rim.
Best option would be a video breakdown that evaluates every single possession.

We have iso or spot up numbers. Also shot defense by distance. Powell is contesting more 3s. McGee more attempts in the paint.

McGee allowed 36.7% from 3 in the regular season (2.4 attempts). 46.4% in the playoffs (2.6 attempts)
Powell allowed 33.9% from 3 in the regular season (2.7 attempts). 35.7% in the playoffs (1.7 attempts)

With the reverse trend inside the paint. McGee performing a lot better inside 6ft. McGee in the low 50s. Powell in the low 60s. But we should at least mention that most of the mentioned metrics do not account for McGee´s insane foul rate (2nd highest in the league, 5.6 per 36 in the regular season, 7.3 in the playoffs).

And as you can see @"Kammrath" and I are giving a perfect example of selective selections of stats to push a narrative.

(07-11-2022, 03:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: These are the plays when a player is isolated one on one on the perimeter. So this is the perimeter D you are looking for @"ItsGoTime"

They do not offer a clear definition. Could also  include face ups. Who knows. Again be careful with the stats and narratives you trust. You are getting all of them through the @"Kammrath" or @"dirkfansince1998" filter. Using the same tools to paint different pictures.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I mean we all watched him isolated against Luka and pick Luka's pocket and go the distance. He has always been an ELITE athlete with ELITE length. If his head is right he is all you want from a big man defensively.

One play. We also watched him close out against Kleber and nearly murder him with a really dumb foul.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I view the McGee signing on how he matches up to the best teams in the West.  For me that is LAC and the Warriors.

I think it's the Suns too, sure we beat them in 7, that doesn't mean it would happen again, and they're still elite, also, they are one of those teams that have played well against us in the past.  

In looking at the Clippers, I think there is still glaring we need another wing who can defend.    Clippers are really positioned well to go big early, but their most damage will be going small but being able to play big with Kawaii, George, Batum playing the wings.   

I think this is the point some of us are making, we're positioned to go big to start, then be able to match up with their Kawai, George and Batum lineup by going Wood, Maxi and DFS or Maxi, DFS and Bullock.

We also need another creator because their length will really make things tough for our players who rely on open looks.
It would be nice to get someone like Clarkson or Conley out of the smoking building that is Utah.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I mean we all watched him isolated against Luka and pick Luka's pocket and go the distance. He has always been an ELITE athlete with ELITE length. If his head is right he is all you want from a big man defensively.

Remember when you didn’t want Bane because of his short arms??????
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Difficult. Even tracking numbers are far from perfect because they only give us one scenario without the context. We know that Powell played in a switch-heavy defense that relied on his foot speed to switch onto wings/guards and make quick rotations. McGee played drop defense and stayed closer to the rim.
Best option would be a video breakdown that evaluates every single possession.

We have iso or spot up numbers. Also shot defense by distance. Powell is contesting more 3s. McGee more attempts in the paint.

McGee allowed 36.7% from 3 in the regular season (2.4 attempts). 46.4% in the playoffs (2.6 attempts)
Powell allowed 33.9% from 3 in the regular season (2.7 attempts). 35.7% in the playoffs (1.7 attempts)

With the reverse trend inside the paint. McGee performing a lot better inside 6ft. McGee in the low 50s. Powell in the low 60s. But we should at least mention that most of the mentioned metrics do not account for McGee´s insane foul rate (2nd highest in the league, 5.6 per 36 in the regular season, 7.3 in the playoffs).

And as you can see @"Kammrath" and I are giving a perfect example of selective selections of stats to push a narrative.

They do not offer a clear definition. Could also  include face ups. Who knows. Again be careful with the stats and narratives you trust. You are getting all of them through the @"Kammrath" or @"dirkfansince1998" filter. Using the same tools to paint different pictures.
So then, why not just wait and see how he does in our system and with our guys before setting in stone what he will be with us? The sky MIGHT be falling when it pertains to the McGee signing, but there isn't anything that is so concrete that we should be this upset about a 15 mpg acquisition. I mean, if he gets 3 fouls pg in 15 minutes during non-crucial points in the game, is it really that bad (what are those fouls preventing and are FTs made from them too?).

I myself had hopes of an OPJ signing with that money or someone similar while wanting a bigger big at vet min. I didn't get that, but I don't think I have to have it my way all the time (only most of the time).
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So then, why not just wait and see how he does in our system and with our guys before setting in stone what he will be with us? The sky MIGHT be falling when it pertains to the McGee signing, but there isn't anything that is so concrete that we should be this upset about a 15 mpg acquisition. I mean, if he gets 3 fouls pg in 15 minutes during non-crucial points in the game, is it really that bad (what are those fouls preventing and are FTs made from them too?).

I myself had hopes of an OPJ signing with that money or someone similar while wanting a bigger big at vet min. I didn't get that, but I don't think I have to have it my way all the time (only most of the time).

Because the Mavs already have Powell. I have already stated that I would be a lot happier if the Mavs would move Powell. Right now they are doubling down on bigmen that won´t be able to play in the majority of playoff matchups.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because the Mavs already have Powell. I have already stated that I would be a lot happier if the Mavs would move Powell. Right now they are doubling down on bigmen that won´t be able to play in the majority of playoff matchups.
I think it was very clear that Kidd didn't want to play Powell in the playoffs, he just had no real other option (I think he wants Maxi off the bench but with the closers and that also suits him much better) and the team trusts him.

If the Mavs don't trade Powell and don't play him except in emergency, does that alleviate your anger? Cause I really do believe Kidd doesn't want to play Powell.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it was very clear that Kidd didn't want to play Powell in the playoffs, he just had no real other option (I think he wants Maxi off the bench but with the closers and that also suits him much better) and the team trusts him.

If the Mavs don't trade Powell and don't play him except in emergency, does that alleviate your anger? Cause I really do believe Kidd doesn't want to play Powell.

Kidd's hands were certainly tied.  I also believe it's why Bertans saw as many minutes as he did.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it was very clear that Kidd didn't want to play Powell in the playoffs, he just had no real other option (I think he wants Maxi off the bench but with the closers and that also suits him much better) and the team trusts him.

As long as Powell and McGee combine for less than 15min I am okay with a big body that can play some regular season minutes. Still bad asset management but at least the Mavs won´t change the entire scheme to make room for both of them.
Come playoff time I would prefer to reduce their minutes even more. Ideally going with the Lakers and Suns approach. Benching them in the most important games of the season.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, ItsGoTime, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As long as Powell and McGee combine for less than 15min I am okay with a big body that can play some regular season minutes. Still bad asset management but at least the Mavs won´t change the entire scheme to make room for both of them.
Come playoff time I would prefer to reduce their minutes even more. Ideally going with the Lakers and Suns approach. Benching them in the most important games of the season.

You don’t trust McShaqtin’ when everything is on the line?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:13 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: You don’t trust McShaqtin’ when everything is on the line?

I trust him to foul out before everything is on the line...
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As long as Powell and McGee combine for less than 15min I am okay with a big body that can play some regular season minutes. Still bad asset management but at least the Mavs won´t change the entire scheme to make room for both of them.
Man, it's funny to me that anyone thinks it would be any different than this lay out of his role. This is EXACTLY the role I thought he'd play when I saw we were trying to sign him. It fits the LAL bill that Kidd helped establish and McGee is already used to it. Wood is extra rebounding for the playoffs, he just has to get there uninjured. I think in the playoffs, McGee as has been shown many times, gets less minutes the deeper they go.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, it's funny to me that anyone thinks it would be any different than this lay out of his role. This is EXACTLY the role I thought he'd play when I saw we were trying to sign him. It fits the LAL bill that Kidd helped establish and McGee is already used to it. Wood is extra rebounding for the playoffs, he just has to get there uninjured. I think in the playoffs, McGee as has been shown many times, gets less minutes the deeper they go.

So the Mavs give a 35 year old $17M over three years, so he can max out at 10 MPG during the regular season? Maybe they should rename the segment on TNT Cubin a fool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 03:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And as you can see @Kammrath and I are giving a perfect example of selective selections of stats to push a narrative.

I am not giving only certain stats to make a point. When I started looking I had no idea what I would find. And I posted everything I looked at. Sure there are more stats. BUT I AM NOT REDACTING ANY STATS. I HAVE NO AGENDA HERE. 

I thought McGee kind of sucked when we signed him. I have been shocked at how much that is not the case since diving into the numbers. I hate that he is 35, but damn statistically he really gets you a bang for your buck.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:34 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So the Mavs give a 35 year old $17M over three years, so he can max out at 10 (15) MPG during the regular season? Maybe they should rename the segment on TNT Cubin a fool.
Abso-freakin-lutely. If our team can get into the playoffs uninjured (only dinged up) from the regular season McGee is worth his weight in GOLD (which admittedly might not amount to his contract value...but I digress)! That end might be met with some of the other C's still out there now on a vet min contract, maybe, who knows if they would be better here than McGee might be. Also, corrected your mpg in your post.

They have my consent to change the name to "Shaqtin a Cuban", that will be my beef until he changes his tune, or sells the team.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am not giving only certain stats to make a point. When I started looking I had no idea what I would find. And I posted everything I looked at. Sure there are more stats. BUT I AM NOT REDACTING ANY STATS. I HAVE NO AGENDA HERE. 

I thought McGee kind of sucked when we signed him. I have been shocked at how much that is not the case since diving into the numbers. I hate that he is 35, but damn statistically he really gets you a bang for your buck.

I am sorry but I don´t believe you. Why not include other numbers like spot up or handoff defense. Or at least mention that even though both didn´t qualify for most playoff metrics McGee looked really bad in a small sample size.
I don´t have a problem with it. I am happy that you are providing a lot of information but learned that the kind of stuff you post tends to align with your personal opinion or a certain narrative. Again. That´s not a problem. All of us are doing the same. No one is free of biases. If I want read a more critical analysis of the Mavs offseason or a certain signing I just have to look somewhere else or post it myself. Same for stats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply