Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(07-10-2022, 09:49 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, to date, THJ hasn’t looked good on a Kidd led team.

To be fair, if look at Bullock for the same timeframe he was terrible.  We probably need to give Timmy a little bigger sample.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:45 PM)cow Wrote: Do you love Conley or the idea of what Conley was.  I don't remember anything about him in our series.  He's has another year on his deal guaranteed at 14m.  Also, never trade with Ainge.

Conley was effective last year still.  The Mavs didn't pick on him in the playoffs, and they picked on everyone on Utah.  He shot TERRIBLY in the series though.  That wasn't typical though... he has been a 41% 3pt shooter the last two seasons with plus defense.  I am probably reaching here, but I could see Utah trying to get off of him, and he is exactly the skillset I would want in a Luka/DFS/Wood/McGee lineup to bridge to Din when McGee comes out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavsfan12's post:
  • cow, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:56 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Conley was effective last year still.  The Mavs didn't pick on him in the playoffs, and they picked on everyone on Utah.  He shot TERRIBLY in the series though.  That wasn't typical though... he has been a 41% 3pt shooter the last two seasons with plus defense.  I am probably reaching here, but I could see Utah trying to get off of him, and he is exactly the skillset I would want in a Luka/DFS/Wood/McGee lineup to bridge to Din when McGee comes out.

I'll take your word for it but still, the Ainge part.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 10:57 PM)cow Wrote: I'll take your word for it but still, the Ainge part.

F 'em.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 11:01 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: F 'em.

Say that when we've given up a FRP, a useful rotation piece and somehow, inexplicably, extend Powell's contract for 3 more years.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 11:03 PM)cow Wrote: Say that when we've given up a FRP, a useful rotation piece and somehow, inexplicably, extend Powell's contract for 3 more years.
Holy crap! I haven’t laughed that hard in a bit! I will say, it’s not inexplicable because after trading with Ainge yet again, Cuban will be recommitted to winning the Rondo trade!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 11:07 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Holy crap! I haven’t laughed that hard in a bit! I will say, it’s not inexplicable because after trading with Ainge yet again, Cuban will be recommitted to winning the Rondo trade!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 09:48 PM)cow Wrote: Too bad.  Team didn't miss a beat without him during the regular season either.  You are happy to disagree but I don't see Timmy as an impactful player and his playoff performances did nothing to change my feelings.

That's fine.  Luka finally got in shape, Bullock went from terrible to good and they got rid of the KP distraction while adding the much needed Dinwiddie, but otherwise it was just the same.  

I don't see McGee as an impactful player and his last several teams pulling him from playoff rotations and letting him walk has not done much to change that opinion.  I'm sure it makes sense to spend over 5 mil a season in his 34-37 years when his previous teams had no interest paying more than the min.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 11:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: That's fine.  Luka finally got in shape, Bullock went from terrible to good and they got rid of the KP distraction while adding the much needed Dinwiddie, but otherwise it was just the same.  

I don't see McGee as an impactful player and his last several teams pulling him from playoff rotations and letting him walk has not done much to change that opinion.  I'm sure it makes sense to spend over 5 mil a season in his 34-37 years when his previous teams had no interest paying more than the min.
We were bidding against Mil, we added the extra year which is what got him.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 12:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We were bidding against Mil, we added the extra year which is what got him.

Allegedly. Why would a team that has just won the title act like some sad beggars for a minimum level player with one foot out of the league that can´t be relied on in the play-offs regardless of match-ups.

They have Giannis, Lopez, Ibaka and Portis. At best he was regular season injury/health insurance, so they can manage the minutes of Ibaka/Lopez to get them to the play-offs healthy.

Not for one second do I believe they offered McGee more than the minimum and especially not multiple years. They can just wait for buyouts like Favors or like a smart franchise offer that same ALLEGED deal to Jalen Smith or Andre Drummond.

Cuban also gave DeAndre Jordan $24M and celebrated it like some sort of achievement and the Clippers signed Harrell to 16/2 instead. Same happened here. Suns let McGee walk and re-sign the better player to the better contract.

You can bet your $100 crypto voucher that in 12-18 months we are looking to move his contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 05:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Allegedly. Why would a team that has just won the title act like some sad beggars for a minimum level player with one foot out of the league that can´t be relied on in the play-offs regardless of match-ups.

They have Giannis, Lopez, Ibaka and Portis. At best he was regular season injury/health insurance, so they can manage the minutes of Ibaka/Lopez to get them to the play-offs healthy.

Not for one second do I believe they offered McGee more than the minimum and especially not multiple years. They can just wait for buyouts like Favors or like a smart franchise offer that same ALLEGED deal to Jalen Smith or Andre Drummond.

Cuban also gave DeAndre Jordan $24M and celebrated it like some sort of achievement and the Clippers signed Harrell to 16/2 instead. Same happened here. Suns let McGee walk and re-sign the better player to the better contract.

You can bet your $100 crypto voucher that in 12-18 months we are looking to move his contract.
Ok, all of that may be true. Why do teams do what they do?  Sometimes it beats me. Apparently it beats you too?
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 06:15 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ok, all of that may be true. Why do teams do what they do?  Sometimes it beats me. Apparently it beats you too?

You are all heavily addicted to stats, and especially one stat. Being the salary.

That's not how successful basketball teams are made.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:46 AM)Mapka Wrote: You are all heavily addicted to stats, and especially one stat. Being the salary.

That's not how successful basketball teams are made.
Ummm, knowing salary is EXACTLY how successful basketball teams are made.
Like Reply
Is he better than Powell?
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:01 PM)burekemde Wrote: Is he better than Powell?

In some areas. Better rim protector and rebounder. Worse pick and roll and perimeter defender. About the same on offense.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • burekemde, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:10 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Worse pick and roll

Pick and Roll O....

McGee in the playoffs was 89.7 percentile (1.38 PPP) & in the regular season 89.5 percentile (1.40 PPP)

DP in the playoffs 71.4 percentile (1.19 PPP) & in the regular season 92.6 percentile (1.42 PPP)
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: McGee  in the playoffs was 89.7 percentile (1.38 PPP) & in the regular season 89.5 percentile (1.40 PPP)

DP in the playoffs 71.4 percentile (1.19 PPP) & in the regular season 92.6 percentile (1.42 PPP)
So, a good amount better on offense. The line you quoted was about defense. I would like to know those numbers, cause I feel like McGee isn't getting enough credit for being able to defend on the perimeter. The numbers might not bear that out though.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:50 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: about defense. I would like to know those numbers

Pick and Roll D....

McGee: 70.7 percentile (0.86 PPP)

DP: 79.3 percentile (0.79 PPP)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Isolation D (this is not post ups)...

McGee: 84.2 percentile (0.71 PPP)

DP: 63.4 percentile (0.84 PPP)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: McGee: 70.7 percentile (0.86 PPP)

DP: 79.3 percentile (0.79 PPP)
Is there a stat that rates his perimeter defense? I don't think McGee is a Vucevic level slow footed perimeter defender and my hope is that with Maxi/Wood in there as off ball rim protectors, taking McGee out to the perimeter isn't gonna be as detrimental as is being talked about. Adding less second chance points/opportunities to the opposition will be nice to see for once.
Like Reply