Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(02-08-2023, 02:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Tim McMahan is on the Lowe Podcast today.  Lots of Mavs talk.    Still listening to it and I think eventually they will talk about some trade rumors.  Lowe was saying he is not  who the starting lineup will be when everyone is healthy he said he would guess the lineup would be: Kyrie, Luka, Green, Bullock, Powell.  Hardaway and Wood off the bench.

From an offense/defense point of view, seems pretty balanced.

Just hope it doesn't torpedo THJ's shooting.
(02-08-2023, 02:43 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: From an offense/defense point of view, seems pretty balanced.

We are going to get pounded on the boards.
(02-08-2023, 02:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Tim McMahan is on the Lowe Podcast today.  Lots of Mavs talk.    Still listening to it and I think eventually they will talk about some trade rumors.  Lowe was saying he is not  who the starting lineup will be when everyone is healthy he said he would guess the lineup would be: Kyrie, Luka, Green, Bullock, Powell.  Hardaway and Wood off the bench.

I think Wood is the starter over Powell if he makes it past the deadline, if only to preserve the ego boost he got by finally getting that opportunity, but that could be way off base.

If Hardaway makes it past the deadline and they try to bring him off the bench AGAIN, that’s just silly.

Mcmahon and Lowe both thought the Wood extension is not going to happen.  Made if feel like it was never on the table for Wood...especially with the higher cap coming.

Lowe also said Cavs aren't interested in the Hardaway for Levert trade

Lowe brought up Josh Hart as someone he would look at.   But said there are a lot of suitors.
Lowe said they appear a player short.  McMahon brought up Josh Richardson as a potential buyout guy.   Said if the Mavs don't make a move, they need to be aggressive on the buyout market.
Guys…it’s gonna be Crowder. Come on. You all know it’s true.
(02-08-2023, 02:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Guys…it’s gonna be Crowder. Come on. You all know it’s true.

I don't see a trade fit.

(02-08-2023, 02:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Lowe also said Cavs aren't interested in the Hardaway for Levert trade

Sadness.   Wonder where this rumor originally came from.
(02-08-2023, 02:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Wood is the starter over Powell if he makes it past the deadline, if only to preserve the ego boost he got by finally getting that opportunity, but that could be way off base.

If Hardaway makes it past the deadline and they try to bring him off the bench AGAIN, that’s just silly.

THJ should be glued to the bench as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather give his minutes to Green and Hardy. At least they will improve with playing time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • MFFL
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...82080?s=20&t=-OaJ6uLdqSXwI_phnyPckQ

I think Morris will be Luka's bodyguard this coming playoffs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MFFL
(02-08-2023, 02:43 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: From an offense/defense point of view, seems pretty balanced.

Looks really small.  Bullock is not a power forward and Powell is an undersized center.  There is work to be done.
(02-08-2023, 02:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Guys…it’s gonna be Crowder. Come on. You all know it’s true.

So Powell/Crowder/Luka/Green/Kyrie starting with a bench of Maxi/Bullock/Hardy/Frank?
(02-08-2023, 04:51 PM)mvossman Wrote: So Powell/Crowder/Luka/Green/Kyrie starting with a bench of Maxi/Bullock/Hardy/Frank?

Yeah, maybe. I don't think it would be a Wood/THJ package for Crowder, so there would be some differences, I guess. Maybe one/both of them are still here...maybe there's another small deal. I just think putting expiring Crowder (who's definitely available) into that DFS hole is what they're probably thinking.
(02-08-2023, 02:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:
Lowe brought up Josh Hart as someone he would look at.   But said there are a lot of suitors.

Specifically, Hart for Wood.  He said Portland tried to trade for Wood when he was in Houston (about a year before we got him).  

Lowe's lineup:

Powell   Maxi
Luka     Wood
Green   
Bullock  THJ
Irving

He also brought up how good Wood/Maxi were with Luka pre-injury.  As an alternative....

Maxi      Powell
Wood
Green    THJ
Irving    Bullock
Luka

Either version is 'a little short'.  Hart would help the wing rotation, but then you'd be shy a big.  Hart + Eubanks?

These constructs where you get multiple players (Like Utah, Detroit, NY and Charlotte deals that have been discussed) seem best for trying to fill out the roster.

Another thought...Is there a world where Draymond Green is a trade target?
(02-08-2023, 07:21 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Specifically, Hart for Wood.  He said Portland tried to trade for Wood when he was in Houston (about a year before we got him).  

If you can get Hart for Wood, it should not be too difficult to extend this to Nurkic/Hart for Wood/Powell. Most people assume Hart is the sweetener to get rid of Nurkic anyway. I personally do not get it at all, what Portland is trying to accomplish. Lillard/Hart are +10.0 on/off. That backcourt works perfectly for the Blazers. Grant/Nurkic/Simmons are barely positive on/off. It´s their bench that is killing them. So to me trading Hart (and Nurkic) is like saying: it´s over.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Tunesquad23
Listening to McMahon and Lowe today...it sure seems like the "cap space fallback" is rhetoric coming from the Mavericks and not some random thought by a media person that everyone's running with. 

I think that's significant, because to me it means A) for sure no extension for Wood, even if he doesn't get traded (at least until after Kyrie's situation becomes more clear) and B) any long term salary commitments added at the deadline would have to be attached to the type of talent they're not likely to get. I suppose maybe Ayton or John Collins might qualify, but if we're talking about anything less than that, I'd assume they're looking exclusively at expiring players as they shop Wood/THJ.
(02-08-2023, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Listening to McMahon and Lowe today...it sure seems like the "cap space fallback" is rhetoric coming from the Mavericks and not some random thought by a media person that everyone's running with. 

I think that's significant, because to me it means A) for sure no extension for Wood, even if he doesn't get traded (at least until after Kyrie's situation becomes more clear) and B) any long term salary commitments added at the deadline would have to be attached to the type of talent they're not likely to get. I suppose maybe Ayton or John Collins might qualify, but if we're talking about anything less than that, I'd assume they're looking exclusively at expiring players as they shop Wood/THJ.
Of course it’s a fallback option if things go south. Cap space and 3 FRPs possibly to work with. It’s not game over if this fails. We would still have another shot

It would have to go absolutely terrible though for us to not re-sign him. If it goes well, we can offer him far more than LA can. He’s shown over the last week he will do whatever to get paid and that’s what he cares about. No way do we lose him if he’s desirable 

Cuban just paid a big price (considering the circumstances) for our first ever big fish. Shams reported mavs have been planning this since November. He’s not going anywhere 

Now, what happens AFTER he re-signs i guess we’ll see
(02-08-2023, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Listening to McMahon and Lowe today...it sure seems like the "cap space fallback" is rhetoric coming from the Mavericks and not some random thought by a media person that everyone's running with. 

That's disappointing. I was really prepared for them to go all-in. The cap space thing will just fail again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • SleepingHero
(02-08-2023, 08:04 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Of course it’s a fallback option if things go south. Cap space and 3 FRPs possibly to work with. It’s not game over if this fails. We would still have another shot

It would have to go absolutely terrible though for us to not re-sign him. If it goes well, we can offer him far more than LA can. He’s shown over the last week he will do whatever to get paid and that’s what he cares about. No way do we lose him if he’s desirable 

Cuban just paid a big price (considering the circumstances) for our first ever big fish. Shams reported mavs have been planning this since November. He’s not going anywhere 

Now, what happens AFTER he re-signs i guess we’ll see

It would be fairly close to game over.  Most of us that preferred the patient route acknowledged it would still be a tough row to hoe.  Compared to that we are basically dumping Dorian, Dinwiddie, Wood, Powell, Frank and a very valuable first round pick, all for the best case scenario of paying VanVleet 30+ mil.  Is that an even trade?  And right now we would only have 2 firsts next offseason, not 3.  I'm not convinced the discussion has been had with the nets to push the 29 to 30 for a tip.
(02-08-2023, 07:35 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If you can get Hart for Wood, it should not be too difficult to extend this to Nurkic/Hart for Wood/Powell. Most people assume Hart is the sweetener to get rid of Nurkic anyway. I personally do not get it at all, what Portland is trying to accomplish. Lillard/Hart are +10.0 on/off. That backcourt works perfectly for the Blazers. Grant/Nurkic/Simmons are barely positive on/off. It´s their bench that is killing them. So to me trading Hart (and Nurkic) is like saying: it´s over.

Do we want to commit 18 mil a year for 3 and 1/2 years for a center that can get run off the floor in the playoffs?  He also hasn't been a pillar of health either.  I can't imagine Cuban will be willing to take on that kind of salary for that long.
It may turn out either way but its a gamble we had to take. without significant moves like this kyrie deal we ain't nowhere close to championship considerations see how bad we got demolished by the true contenders like celtics, even the nuggets could take a full wet poop on our head. departure of brunson hurt us hard. thru the early half of the season it seemed we were sloping to mediocrity and luka was the only force that kept our head above water, and the overused luka was unfortunately and inevitably injured due mainly to the heavy load. We had a winning streak but most of the opponents during that span were sh!tty teams or teams in sh!tty forms. We are somewhat lucky we got a big fish for just one 1st rounder plus two role players while maintaining our top young talents in hardy and josh.

We would've otherwise joined the race for wemby with luka out injured and no reinforcement coming in, and in that competition we were alreay far behind the likes of spurs and rockets, and even the lakers.