Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(02-07-2023, 04:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And that shows how detached from reality many of our proposals are. Kyrie´s value was at an all time low but in the end it was still more than most of us wanted to pay.

I absolutely agree. Most proposals on here favor the Mavs and nothing wrong with that since we are all Mavs fans, but typically there's always more outgoing than we'd like in any real trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • DallasMaverick
(02-07-2023, 04:23 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Phoenix deal.  My bet is you are getting 20/21 or 21/22 Ayton vs. 22/23 Ayton.  This is a Chip 8-man in my opinion.

Ayton/Powell
Crowder/Maxi
Green/Bullock
Luka/Bullock (eventually Hardy)
Kyrie/(one of Luka/Kyrie)

Totally agree, but folks are probably right that it will cost more than that for Ayton, and I am out at that point.  Then I am up for exploring the Wood for Collins angle.  I think he is being hamstrung at the 4 next to a traditional big and would be much more effective as a 5 or playing next to someone like Maxi.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
The only reason I'm even bothering to wonder if this Ayton thing is real at all is that I have an intuitive sense that whatever conversation started these rumors likely began as a Crowder conversation, which leads me to the thought that it might have been Phoenix who brought Ayton's name into it, not the other way around. Could be similar to when they were in the right place/right time (or wrong, I guess, based on how it turned out) to snag Porzingis because they happened to already be negotiating for Hardaway.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump
(02-07-2023, 04:36 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Also new owner who has just made comments saying they will be active but think they have  a contender with their current roster.  This summer if they flame out and Paul struggles again, that is when I think they look for a big move.

Have no clue in which direction the Suns will go. Owner seems to be willing to pay and wants to compete from the get-go. You already mentioned the biggest question mark. CP3. Looking at the rejected offer for Kyrie the Nets asked for three picks. If that is the current market for CP3 they will have a hard time moving on from him.
(02-07-2023, 04:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have no clue in which direction the Sun will go.

Almost always sets in the West, based on my past experience. But honestly, I think it's us moving, not the Sun. 

Having said that, now that Kyrie is in town it might be time to open that second part up for fresh discussion.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, DrMav, Jmaciscool, Not an evil robot, Smitty
It's possible the team hates Ayton after the debacle against Dallas and some of the comments made. They obviously resigned him to not lose the asset(like we should have done with Brunson), but Ayton is having a down year and maybe they don't want him in their playoff rotation again.
  • Smitty
If there is a way to turn Wood/Hardaway/future 1st(s) into Ayton without moving Green/Hardy I’d be all over this. Ayton could be the absolute x factor here in a good way, also age-wise he’d provide a very high floor for the next years alongside Luka even if the Kyrie-business ends badly.

Irving | Hardy
Doncic | Ntilikina
Green | Bullock
Kleber | Morris | Bertans
Ayton | Powell | McGee

Holy smokes…

Don’t care much about Crowder. Just have Green play 40 minutes every night. He’s clearly a studdd and the future.
(02-07-2023, 05:02 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: If there is a way to turn Wood/Hardaway/future 1st(s) into Ayton without moving Green/Hardy I’d be all over this. Ayton could be the absolute x factor here in a good way, also age-wise he’d provide a very high floor for the next years alongside Luka even if the Kyrie-business ends badly.

Irving | Hardy
Doncic | Ntilikina
Green | Bullock
Kleber | Morris | Bertans
Ayton | Powell | McGee

Holy smokes…

Don’t care much about Crowder. Just have Green play 40 minutes every night. He’s clearly a studdd and the future.

I personally want Crowder. He's playoff tested and he's tough. We could use that.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
(02-07-2023, 04:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have no clue in which direction the Suns will go. Owner seems to be willing to pay and wants to stay contend from the get-go. You already mentioned the biggest question mark. CP3. Looking at the rejected offer for Kyrie the Nets asked for three picks. If that is the current market for CP3 they will have a hard time moving on from him.

THJ, Bertans, Wood, McGee for Ayton, CP3.  Mavs employ the most expensive backup PG in the history of the NBA!  Cuban's luxury tax bill is eleventy billion dollars!!

DA, Maxi, Green, Luka, Kyrie
DP, Kief, Bullock, Hardy, CP3

I'M JOKING!!!
(02-07-2023, 05:12 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I personally want Crowder. He's playoff tested and he's tough. We could use that.

Definitely true, I am just not much of a fan of his. Never have been, but who cares what I think. I’d happily take him as a throw in but expect MIL to get him.

Another thing to consider: we should be quite the destination in the buyout market this season thanks to the star power of Luka and Kyrie.
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
(02-07-2023, 05:42 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Another thing to consider: we should be quite the destination in the buyout market this season thanks to the star power of Luka and Kyrie.

Pretty true. 

There's a sweet spot here where the best parts of Kyrie (work ethic, studying opponents, recruiting players, etc) rubs off on Luka and the team while he's hear but the crazy, entitled stuff does NOT. If the Mavs can somehow hit that target, exactly, this could end up being a good thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
This day passing without the Mavs making a trade makes me concerned that the rest of this TDL cycle is going to be a disappointment. They needed to make more than one trade post-Kyrie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41
(02-07-2023, 05:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This day passing without the Mavs making a trade makes me concerned that the rest of this TDL cycle is going to be a disappointment. They needed to make more than one trade post-Kyrie.

Not necessarily.  The Ayton/Crowder trade and they would be done.  Same with the Collins/Bogi trade.  They could trade Timmy + pick for a big wing and keep Wood and they would be done.  Assuming the first two options don't pan out, I am very open to the third as a couple of others have mentioned, but I am struggling to think of a big wing that is roughly the value of Timmy + 27 and any chance of being available.
(02-07-2023, 05:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This day passing without the Mavs making a trade makes me concerned that the rest of this TDL cycle is going to be a disappointment. They needed to make more than one trade post-Kyrie.

Damn bruh, be patient. TDL ends 4:00 pm EST Thursday. I'm sure Trader Mark will have something up his sleeve by then.

I actually think the Mavs are waiting till Wednesday night. They are already short handed with Luka being out, and this is a pivitol stretch of the season for playoff positioning. 

After the game, they'll be making a trade. 

And it'll bring Big DA To DAL.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
https://twitter.com/bibscorner/status/16...56160?s=46&t=SuKUqNm0aoWqQgFdKV3JrA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(02-07-2023, 05:55 PM)mvossman Wrote: Not necessarily.  The Ayton/Crowder trade and they would be done.  Same with the Collins/Bogi trade.  They could trade Timmy + pick for a big wing and keep Wood and they would be done.  Assuming the first two options don't pan out, I am very open to the third as a couple of others have mentioned, but I am struggling to think of a big wing that is roughly the value of Timmy + 27 and any chance of being available.

Presuming Wood won't sign a cheap extension, I think they clearly have to 1) get a starting center, 2) get a starting power forward (actually a big modern wing, if possible), 3) get a backup point guard (perhaps addressable via buyout), 4) get at least one of THJ, Bertans, and McGee off the roster. Keeping Wood probably reduces #1 to getting a backup center. My wish list would be to make hay with NY's or someone else's interest in Bullock, but that's gravy.

(02-07-2023, 06:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/bibscorner/status/16...56160?s=46&t=SuKUqNm0aoWqQgFdKV3JrA

Probably hired someone to Tonya him. Smh, never saw someone so determined not to be traded.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41
(02-07-2023, 06:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/bibscorner/status/16...56160?s=46&t=SuKUqNm0aoWqQgFdKV3JrA

I'm so done with THJ
  • MFFL
(02-07-2023, 04:26 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I just think the price is going to be higher than thought on this board.   PHX is 8-2 in their last 10 and now in third place in the west and their best player is returning.  During the last 10 games Ayton is averaging 22 and 13.    He will take multiple firsts and swaps imo.

I think unless they have another trade lined up, this offseason is a better chance he is moved.

This makes sense - but imo it doesn't move DAL/PHX things to the offseason (where the Mavs have more assets) but instead it just kills them.

Especially it kills an Ayton-Crowder - there is no Ayton available from PHX when we get to July. Nor is there likely to be Wood available from DAL. Nor are Mavs likely to look with desperation at Ayton at that point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41

I think that Thursday is the day (so we are too antsy when looking for something else before then). If a deal drops before Thurs, I think that's a sign they gave up on doing more, and are done.

My guess, I do think 1 more deal is coming. It may be bigger, to accomplish multiple aims. I don't see more than one as very likely.  

I also think doing two more deals from here, with limited assets, would have both of them close to the deadline, as they are trying to create an opening to do more than one with what little they have.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, Reunion Mav, Smitty