Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(02-07-2023, 12:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You do you, but I don't think Poeltl is anything like those other two. He's at the top of my non-star wish list right now.

He will cost at least one pick and command something like 20 mil next year. I much rather spend that assets on another position. I don't care about payroll, but Cuban seems to care some and Poeltl would skyrocket our salary. Besides, I think he would still be played off the court in serious playoff match-up.
Don't spend money on traditional big men.
[-] The following 8 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic, michaeltex, mvossman, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
(02-07-2023, 01:01 PM)cow Wrote: Don't spend money on traditional big men.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Alternative to the "trade three picks in the summer" could be to spend the 2027 this season and convert THJ to a better player. Some smart cap management and Mavs could have the full MLE and a 2024 pick to trade in the summer for two rotation players.
Tim MacMahon on Twitter: "Lost in the madness of trade deadline week: Mavs C/PF Maxi Kleber, who is recovering from surgery to repair a torn hamstring, expects to be ready to play after the All-Star break. A healthy Kleber will provide a major, much-needed boost to the Dallas defense." / Twitter
[-] The following 6 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, khaled1987, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex, mvossman
Welp, I'm the dissenter. If we can't get Zubac (ideal for salary, and as a Yugo buddy for Luka) I want Poeltl.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • SleepingHero
(02-07-2023, 01:12 PM)omahen Wrote: Alternative to the "trade three picks in the summer" could be to spend the 2027 this season and convert THJ to a better player. Some smart cap management and Mavs could have the full MLE and a 2024 pick to trade in the summer for two rotation players.

I keep coming back to this as well (THJ + pick = _____ ), and one piece to consider is this:

The ONLY way the Mavs can trade a pick this week is to trade an unprotected 1st. They'd better get suitable value for unprotected. But, it can also serve work as a big plus in trade discussions, and make such a quest very inviting to teams with players to trade.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
(02-07-2023, 01:12 PM)omahen Wrote: Alternative to the "trade three picks in the summer" could be to spend the 2027 this season and convert THJ to a better player. Some smart cap management and Mavs could have the full MLE and a 2024 pick to trade in the summer for two rotation players.

This is where I have been for a while.  Hold on to Wood and send Timmy plus 27 for a 2 way big wing.  That pick should be really valuable as Luka could force a trade by then if things go really south.  My question is who is that player out there available that is a reasonable match for that package?  Does Timmy + McGee + 27 for Collins make sense?
(02-07-2023, 02:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: Does Timmy + McGee + 27 for Collins make sense?

I think Collins might be a non-expiring target worth our time to consider, for sure. 

But, I think that's way too much to pay for him, even with McGee getting dumped. Like, WAY too much. As you said, that unprotected '27 is a key asset. 

And, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to try to make sense of Collins/Wood on the same team. I think I'd prefer to try to put Wood IN that deal and hold onto the '27.

Collins/Bogdanovic for Wood/THJ works, salary wise. Not sure it's what either team is looking for, however.
(02-07-2023, 01:56 AM)cow Wrote: He'd be hated here quickly.  There'd be games where he looks all-world and games where you'd wish Diamond was getting his minutes.  I also don't think he wants to be the 3rd banana on a big three again.

He gets hated on because he's asked to fill a 2nd option role. He'd be the 3rd/4th option here on offense. Perfectly suited for him,

But you might have a point on the 3rd banana thing. 

(02-07-2023, 05:26 AM)omahen Wrote: No way Phoenix trades Ayton for Wood straight up. If they will be trading him, it will be in a star trade, imho

You're probably right on this. Although the Suns have definitely been shopping Ayton for over a year now, and should have a good idea of what he can fetch in a trade. I don't think it's a star. Especially because they've tried to trade him already for KD and the Nets frankly weren't interested. 

Still, Wood on paper fills a lot of needs for PHX. THJ also fixes their wing depth. I'm hoping because Ayton would be a fantastic piece.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(02-07-2023, 02:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Collins might be a non-expiring target worth our time to consider, for sure. 

But, I think that's way too much to pay for him, even with McGee getting dumped. Like, WAY too much. As you said, that unprotected '27 is a key asset. 

And, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to try to make sense of Collins/Wood on the same team. I think I'd prefer to try to put Wood IN that deal and hold onto the '27.

The Collins contract is an issue for ATL (and anyone) in comparison to his play. After this season, he is owed another 79M. That's a lot to choke down for his present level of play. No way Mavs trade for him PLUS send them an unprotected 1st.

I'd work around the idea of Wood for Collins. Or maybe expand it.

Something like ...?
Wood-THJ-McGee ... (total future years salary is about 46M)
FOR
Collins-Bogey ....(total future years salary is about 97M)
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, mvossman
(02-07-2023, 02:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Collins might be a non-expiring target worth our time to consider, for sure. 

Collins/Bogdanovic for Wood/THJ works, salary wise. Not sure it's what either team is looking for, however.

It makes a huge amount of sense for the Mavs (who the hell plays the four if not Wood?), and it gives the Hawks a chance to get out of the Collins "mistake." I get that Cuban likely doesn't want to pay that kind of salary for a guy who is clearly not a star, but he's certainly a passable four in this league, and the Mavs are in a win-now position. The other aspect of this is the Mavs' coveting of Bogdan, likely because he is a Yugo. I have already said that I'm leery of that move because it undervalues Green and Hardy and the role they should have moving forward, but it does up our talent quotient while perhaps making Luka a bit more happy. Finally, the Hawks might be the team most likely to see THJ in a somewhat favorable light due to his little contract-earning explosion there.

If the Hawks are willing to do this and the Mavs end up doing something more provisional, to me, that suggests that Cuban doesn't understand the urgencies both of winning now and keeping Luka happy.
(02-07-2023, 02:39 PM)F Gump Wrote: Something like ...?
Wood-THJ-McGee ... (total future years salary is about 46M)
FOR
Collins-Bogey ....(total future years salary is about 97M)

I think adding McGee into things solves my trepidation from the Mavs' perspective. I'm sold. 

Not sure if ATL would be interested, but seeing as they've been trying to trade Collins for (quite literally) two straight years, there's no way that relationship is in a good place. I suppose it's possible they take this if it's the best offer.

(02-07-2023, 02:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: who the hell plays the four if not Wood?

I am on the record countless times saying I don't see Wood as a 4. No interest in that, whatsoever. I think he and Collins are very, very similar players.
(02-07-2023, 02:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think adding McGee into things solves my trepidation from the Mavs' perspective. I'm sold. 

Not sure if ATL would be interested, but seeing as they've been trying to trade Collins for (quite literally) two straight years, there's no way that relationship is in a good place. I suppose it's possible they take this if it's the best offer.

I am on the record countless times saying I don't see Wood as a 4. No interest in that, whatsoever. I think he and Collins are very, very similar players.

I think it comes close to a no-brainer for the Mavs if they can get off of McGee.

The perception on Collins seems to be that he is somewhat better than Wood on defense. That right there makes it more likely that Kidd plays him. Our playmakers post-trade should be Luka, Kyrie, Bogdan, Hardy, and Green. Collins just needs to rebound, defend some, catch a few lobs, and hit open shots. How well he can survive as a small-ball center is a rather iffy question. Don't think the Hawks have attempted that that much, and probably with good reason.
(02-07-2023, 02:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The perception on Collins seems to be that he is somewhat better than Wood on defense.

I think the best way to put it is that Collins is just a flat-out more polished and experienced player all around than Wood. I think Wood is the more talented guy, but he's already 27 and at some point you just need a guy who already "gets it." 

All of my pro-Wood posts this season have been about having the courage and patience to just put Wood in the role he wants (that I believe he's talented enough to learn how to play) and hope he grows into it. Fine with me if it takes 2-3 years, because Luka is 23. 

But in the post Kyrie trade world, that's not really a viable option anymore.
The center I'd love to trade for is Gafford. Don't know if he's available. Can't figure out a trade offer that might tempt WAS.

He has a huge salary jump coming next year. May be too expensive for WAS as a backup. That's my thinking of why, maybe, hopefully ...but can't figure out how.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, loki, RoyTarpleysGhost
(02-07-2023, 02:54 PM)F Gump Wrote: The center I'd love to trade for is Gafford. Don't know if he's available. Can't figure out a trade offer that might tempt WAS.

He has a huge salary jump coming next year. May be too expensive for WAS as a backup. That's my thinking of why, maybe, hopefully ...but can't figure out how.

I like him, too. And...hey, they ARE playing Porzingis at the 5 and are about to give Kuzma the bag to play the 4. Gafford's future there is 3rd big at BEST. He might (might) be gettable.
Turner is my name...just spread but they made sure they could change it,(if the rumors are true)2 FRP + Russ was the price of Turner+Hield... this year he is gaining 34m but the next few years in 20m become very appealing for a 7ft Dallas native, interchangeable with rim protection and elite lockouts..oh and he can stretch the ground... so... Wood/THJ/Mavs27(Unprotected) for Turner. Who says no? then follow up with a Powell to Covington and hope Dragic/Ross/Barton get bought and offer to fill the gap left by Tim... Bledsoe/Dedmon also seem good pieces for the minimum of vet
(02-07-2023, 03:00 PM)Mikelorenzo Wrote: so... Wood/THJ/Mavs27(Unprotected) for Turner. Who says no? 

1 I would not do that deal.
2 But imo it's moot. I am inclined to believe that Indy truly wants to keep him, rather than trade him.
....I think the only reason he was shopped previously was because he refused to extend, and they didn't want to lose him in free agency. That's no longer an issue.
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...2569607179
[-] The following 3 users Like Tunesquad23's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman, Tyler