Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
Smoking Cuban 
SMoking Cuban has an article for the Mav's third ballhandler open-slot. 
Pretty good names thrown out there.
But established names are just too costly or too difficult to trade for.

IMHo, the third playmaker/ballhandler doesn't have to be Brunson-like good, but the player the Mavs should aim for must be above the likes of Campazzo, or at least, someone who has the potential to blossom with the Mavs.

I look at Toronto and I was surprised of the minutes Flynn is having. Got a DNP against the Mavs and just averaging 12 minutes a game. Their third string PG chips in 11 minutes a game. Raptors doesn't have a legit PG as I count FVV as an SG, but he's running point well enough so it just doesn't matter if he's a natural SG. Siakam is an able play-maker/ballhandler that PGs just take a back seat for the Raps.

IMHo, either Flynn or Banton can see extended minutes with the Mavs.

Yes, I know youtube highlights make ém look good but, I'm going to post them anyway.
How to get them? I don't know, but I would think either could be available for the right price.

I'd take a chance on Banton. He's a 6'5 pg with more upside than Flynn IMO. In fact, he moved ahead of Flynn in the rotation.
we send Wood to Heat for Oladipo/Yurtseven/Heat23..
Wood should fit especially well in 4..

. then...
Bullock/Ntilikina to 76ers Thybulle/Powell/Heat23 to Pacers Turner/Korkmaz to Mavs..

Turner/Yurtseven/Mcgee
DFS/Maxi/Bertans
Green/Korkmaz/Pinson
Oladipo/THJ/Hardy
Luka/SD/Campazzo
(11-22-2022, 06:35 PM)Mikelorenzo Wrote: we send Wood to Heat for Oladipo/Yurtseven/Heat23..
Wood should fit especially well in 4..

Dipo hasn't suited up once this year and isn't believed to be suiting up anytime soon, so treat him as if he's not even there. The trade essentially becomes Wood (our 2nd best scorer) for Yurtseven (5ppg bench warmer) and a first. Oh did I mention that Yurtseven had an offseason surgery and also hasn't suited up this year and isn't expected back anytime soon? 

Mavs SHOULD be getting way more back there. A deal I'd be interested in is Wood+THJ for Lowry+Jovic. Lowry's contract in principle is similar to Haywards and we're eating THJ's money in 2 years vs. 3. Mavs get Jovic as a little something extra for giving up the best player in the deal. 

Then I'd turn around and offer a 1st to the Pacers for Turner.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(11-21-2022, 05:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Play the game with me. Give me any team and let's see if I would take four of their starters over the Mavs.
The lakers…
(11-23-2022, 02:12 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: The lakers…

I would absolutely take....

AD
Lonnie Walker
Austin Reaves
Thomas Bryant

OVER

DFS
DP
SD
RB
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
I think I would take DFS/DP/SD/RB over Reddish/Randle/Barrett/Robinson (or substitute Fournier or whoever) just for this year alone, not moving forward.  It's close though and I'm probably biased.
(11-23-2022, 11:12 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I think I would take DFS/DP/SD/RB over Reddish/Randle/Barrett/Robinson (or substitute Fournier or whoever)

Nah, I would take the Knicks four and maybe Hartenstein over Robinson.
  • BoredAssistant
(11-23-2022, 11:12 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I think I would take DFS/DP/SD/RB over Reddish/Randle/Barrett/Robinson (or substitute Fournier or whoever) just for this year alone, not moving forward.  It's close though and I'm probably biased.
Where's JB? He's a starter.
(11-23-2022, 11:22 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Where's JB? He's a starter.

I designated him their 'best' player and excluded him as part of this exercise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • Kammrath
(11-23-2022, 11:27 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I designated him their 'best' player and excluded him as part of this exercise.

Yeah for this exercise to work you have to eliminate whoever you think is their "best" player.
(11-23-2022, 10:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I would absolutely take....

AD
Lonnie Walker
Austin Reaves
Thomas Bryant

OVER

DFS
DP
SD
RB

15 games in and you'd take Lakers trash over the Mavs roster? LOL

Wait until December when AD is back out with lower back tightness for 3 months.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
(11-23-2022, 12:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: A deal I'd be interested in is Wood+THJ for Lowry+Jovic. Lowry's contract in principle is similar to Haywards and we're eating THJ's money in 2 years vs. 3. Mavs get Jovic as a little something extra for giving up the best player in the deal. 

I think you are on the right track in terms of needing to return a similarly high dollar contract if THJ is part of the outgoing.  Obviously, a way of making the outgoing more attractive to the other team would be to substitute out Reggie for THJ as part of any deal with Wood.  That is the deal I suggested for Collin.  In fact, I suspect something like that was probably discussed this summer and the parties could come to agreement.

I'm not sure why Miami gives up Lowry and takes on another 'shooter' in THJ when they already have Robinson and Herro.  But, your mention of Hayward brings up an interesting thought.  Most of the Hayward trades proposed here did not include Wood.  But, if he isn't going to work out here and isn't going to stay this summer, would Wood/THJ for Hayward/K. Jones work for Charlotte.  It makes great sense that they would want to move on from Hayward.  The taking on Wood part is largely dependent on Charlotte's plans for Bridges.  If there are no plans for Bridges, I could see the interest.  If they think Bridges will return by next year, I don't see the interest. 

Hayward can be that third creator, but not from the PG position.  He would do a better job of "replacing Brunson" than Wood even if Wood was getting minutes and consistent usage.  Getting rid of THJ a year early has value (Hardy will never get a real shot as long as Chuker-Tim is on the roster), but it means we get less in return than if Bullock were the outgoing.  If it is THJ/Wood, there is no chance we also get Washington.  But I like Jones as a future asset...especially if he can hit his 3's like he did in G/L last year.  The team will need to make a decision regarding Powell and it wouldn't surprise me if they added a young cheap big between now and next summer.  They won't go with a big rotation of just McGee/Maxi/DFS (if Wood is traded or leaves).  I kind of doubt they want to do multi-year on Powell this summer, so they need something lined up so that they can either move on or offer an 1/1 with the second year being a TO.
(11-23-2022, 12:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: 15 games in and you'd take Lakers trash over the Mavs roster? LOL

This isn't a 15 game eval.

DP is not an NBA starter. RB is not an NBA starter. DFS is a borderline NBA starter (and that is me being generous). SD is a borderline NBA starter. 

AND none of them have ANY upside whatsoever. NONE. NOT A DROP.
(11-23-2022, 12:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: 15 games in and you'd take Lakers trash over the Mavs roster? LOL

Wait until December when AD is back out with lower back tightness for 3 months.

If you could trade the Mavs starters not named Luka for AD or LeBron...would yo do it?
(11-23-2022, 12:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Obviously, a way of making the outgoing more attractive to the other team would be to substitute out Reggie for THJ as part of any deal with Wood.  That is the deal I suggested for Collins.  In fact, I suspect something like that was probably discussed this summer and the parties could come to agreement.

Below is a quote regarding Collins from the Jake Fischer article posted in another thread.  My interpretation is Atlanta was basically looking at Markkannen and Harrison Barnes as targets in a Collins swap.  In other words...a lateral move to change out roughly equivalent players.  This would lend credence to the idea that a Collins/Wood based deal might be possible:

But what if Utah is no longer content with joining the race for prized prospect Victor Wembanyama? The Jazz’s interest in Hawks forward John Collins is real, league sources said, and would seem to indicate Utah is considering how to add to this winning unit rather than subtract from it. Right now, the likelihood of Collins landing in Salt Lake City, though, seems low. Atlanta approached the Jazz about swapping Collins for Markkanen, sources said, which did not generate any traction.

Finding any home for Collins becomes a difficult task when you consider the Hawks have dangled the talented 25-year-old for several transaction cycles. There was true momentum in a deal with Sacramento during this summer’s draft window, sources said, but the Kings walked away with Kevin Heurter and seem quite happy lighting the beam with this current iteration at Golden 1 Center.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath
(11-23-2022, 12:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This isn't a 15 game eval.

DP is not an NBA starter. RB is not an NBA starter. DFS is a borderline NBA starter (and that is me being generous). SD is a borderline NBA starter. 

AND none of them have ANY upside whatsoever. NONE. NOT A DROP.

The Dorian hate is real.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
(11-23-2022, 12:47 PM)mvossman Wrote: The Dorian hate is real.

Haha, no hate. Good glue guy. Has shot the ball well the last couple years when WIDE OPEN, but cannot really stretch a D. Offers nothing else on O but offensive rebounding. Is an average to slightly above average defender the last few years who seems to have become average to maybe worse defensively this year.
  • HoosierDaddyKid
A Wood+Bullock trade for Collins is starting to make a lot of sense.

Kidd will never play Wood 30+ minutes or start him and I think Collins would start here and play 30+ the day he gets traded. Bullock is playing poor now, and will likely get better as he usually does. But I now consider him a progress stopper for Green. I want Green getting the Reggie treatment (~30 minutes of play time regardless of your effectiveness on the offensive end that night). Also, it doesn't add to the LT bill this year:

Wood 14.3M
RB 10.0M

Collins 23.5M
Giving up two starters for one isnt ideal to me.  Collins isnt a needle mover even with Luka effect.   Im sure he would produce...but at the expense of depth?  I dont know.  

I just assume the player should be able to create and score well and play defense if youre giving up starters and depth in a 2 for 1.