Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(10-25-2022, 12:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: Russ?  (joking)

That third playmaker we've all been craving for sure.
(10-25-2022, 12:01 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Interesting that it’s been a 9-man rotation thus far (obvious garbage minutes excepted). Preseason, I did not expect both Dwight and Frank to get zero minutes on a recurring basis. But it sure looks like that’s what’s in store. 

Also intrigued that the 10th spot appears (to me) to be a center rather than a backup PG. Our second unit, in reality, is Dinwidde, Hardaway, Green, Kleber, and out-of-the-rotation Powell, no?

I think Frank is injured, right?  He will probably get some minutes when back.

Facu is not on the team yet, but I don't expect him to be in the regular rotation.  There may be exceptions (like when Din gets in foul trouble), but I don't think there is any intention to have two playmakers on the floor at all times.  I think the plan is having 2 creators (Luka/Din/Wood) on the floor at all times.

Powell definitely seems out of the rotation.  If Wood continues to hold his own as a single big, Powell essentially becomes the 4th center.  It would be nice if we could take advantage of his expiring contract at the TDL, but I'm afraid Cuban is angling to get under the tax next season.
(10-25-2022, 11:58 AM)mvossman Wrote: If they are pulling this trigger during the season, we won't have a lot picks to send.  We have to wait until the draft to officially trade 24 and 26.  A THJ+Bertans package will cost at least a first to dump, probably more right now.  Siakam is going to be worth multiple first picks, probably more than we will have at the TDL, especially when you factor in the cost of dumping bad contracts.  

I'm skeptical Masai is going to blow that team up.  They have a lot of talent still.  I think it more likely he looks for another Kawhi move.  If he does blow it up, the timing would be better for us if he waits until the offseason, and even then I don't think we will have enough assets to get Siakam plus one of those guys (we would be lucky to get Siakam with everything we have).
I don’t think anyone is under the impression something like this would happen before the summer. IMO, it’s just fun to predict which teams will break next after we broke utah

Toronto and Masai don’t want to blow it up, but they have several big contracts on top of 3 guys they’re about to need to pay max extensions to. They’re not Golden state so they could have some tough decisions like we just had with Brunson
(10-25-2022, 12:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: Russ?  (joking)

tbh. I am wanting to fleece the Lakers sooo badly!  Russ is in a terrible situation to succeed.  He needs space, and the Lakers have the least in the league.  If we sent out THJ/Bertans for Russ and picks, (and if Russ will agree to run the bench unit), then we would be amazing.  Using current sub pattern, I would love to have mcgee/SD sub out and in comes Russ/Wood - that lineup would slay! Russ/Green/Maxi/Wood with Doncic/SD would be an amazing second lineup.  Russ would be able to go back to being an attacking player with spot up shooters, rather than needing to BE the spot up shooter that the Lakers dysfunctional lineup requires him to be.  I want the Lakers to continue to lose and be willing to throw both future FRP's in, and then squeeze that trigger.  Clean up the cap, get some future picks for ammo, and rehab a HOF player who is being misused in LA.  I can't believe I am saying this, but I would do it. That's how badly I want to move on from 3 years of THJ/Bertans and want another ball handler/distributor/creator.  Btw, I have wanted GH for a long time as well - just don't think he is as available.
(10-18-2022, 09:00 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: After about a month of getting used to Kidd’s defensive system, Wood will be solid out there. Book it. He we be great on offense out of the gate. It will quickly become disrespectful to keep him coming off the bench.

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
(10-19-2022, 01:27 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: @"KillerLeft" please go ahead and set up the McShaqtin hater group and I’ll join you after 2.64789 games of trying to be positive. I almost gave up already in the last preseason game when he caught it at the 3 point line and just decided to turbo into a dude standing still for the charge.

Should I give him a few more games?

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...59425?s=46&t=BNhozB_mj3hm7a6op677qg
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • SleepingHero
Those clips of McGee couldn’t be any worse. I’d light him up in the film review session and give him exactly one more game as starter to get it together. Otherwise, I’d rather see Powell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • SleepingHero
(10-26-2022, 12:16 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Those clips of McGee couldn’t be any worse. I’d light him up in the film review session and give him exactly one more game as starter to get it together. Otherwise, I’d rather see Powell.

Yep. I think it wasn’t a good idea to give him a 3 year contract. That’s just my opinion. They should’ve given Marcus Bingham Jr. a chance to develop more. I would take him over Powell & Mcgee now.
(10-25-2022, 02:56 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm just waiting for the Pascal Siakam trade and the Mavs should be all over it.

TOR isn't a true contender. Masai knows this. He isn't one to bide his time and accept a 6th seed with no path to win. Siakam's timeline is a lot further along than Barnes.

With that said, I think they are going to be a sneaky team to tank for Victor W. They'll hover around .500 till December and then blow it up.

Give them Powell+THJ+Bertans+all the picks  for Siakam and insert one of the names listed (OG, Trent Jr., FVV). Siakam solves a lot of what we're looking for and gives the Mavs a lethal wing combo. Add in either FVV or another wing and the Mavs got even more depth. It's a final all in move, but I think 2 wing players is all Luka needs for the Mavs to get over the hump.

Do you honestly think Toronto is going to tank this year?  Also, Masai would hang up the phone at your proposed trade of Powell, THJ, Bertans, and picks,  for Siakam, FVV, OG, or Trent Jr.  Toronto won 48 games last year with primarily the same roster aside from Koloko ( He's going to be good) and O.P.Jr. who hasn't even played yet. They are a playoff team in the East, It's your opinion, but  I don't expect them to hover around .500.
Whats funny about that trade is...has anyone noticed...Toronto, though not awesome past couple of years...seems to have a squad of guys that know how to play on both sides of the ball for the most part.  Hoopers...not one trick ponies.  All athletic.

I am confident THJ, Bertan and Powell offer would get you hung up on and a few days later have you opening a glitter bomb in the mail from Masai.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
(10-26-2022, 06:49 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Should I give him a few more games?

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...59425?s=46&t=BNhozB_mj3hm7a6op677qg

Man, it's literally his one job...
(10-26-2022, 02:24 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Man, it's literally his one job...

I haven't chimed in much on the Pels debacle, but my most predominant thought watching the game was, "They stayed out until 2:00 am drinking hurricanes, didn't they?"
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Mavsfan12, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
(10-26-2022, 04:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I haven't chimed in much on the Pels debacle, but my most predominant thought watching the game was, "They stayed out until 2:00 am drinking hurricanes, didn't they?"

Those are delicious.  My favorite part about that drink is the stairs in the bar that originated them are all over the board on shapes and sizes.  It's like they want their customers to take a digger.

edit:  I think I'm confusing hurricanes with hand grenades.
(10-26-2022, 01:51 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Do you honestly think Toronto is going to tank this year?  Also, Masai would hang up the phone at your proposed trade of Powell, THJ, Bertans, and picks,  for Siakam, FVV, OG, or Trent Jr.  Toronto won 48 games last year with primarily the same roster aside from Koloko ( He's going to be good) and O.P.Jr. who hasn't even played yet. They are a playoff team in the East, It's your opinion, but  I don't expect them to hover around .500.

I absolutely think Toronto is going to shift into rebuild mode sooner than later and build around a younger core centered around Barnes.

Either that or Masai will double down and look to make a big trade for someone like AD.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(10-26-2022, 04:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I haven't chimed in much on the Pels debacle, but my most predominant thought watching the game was, "They stayed out until 2:00 am drinking hurricanes, didn't they?"

My biggest takeaway too. 

I expected McGee to have some bad moments given his career reputation, but that game was just so bad. Meanwhile you have Wood who is lighting it up and is playing well.

If Kidd is so worried about maintaining offensive consistency when Luka sits, I'd start Wood and just have *gulp* THJ become more a focal point when Luka/Wood sits. 

In any case a trade AND a lineup trade has to come around. Wood needs to start. If not Wood then Maxi. Further Mavs need to get another scorer off the bench that can distribute. Clarkson is the obvious one but I'd be okay with Conley too. If the Jazz keep winning I think Ainge will be more than happy to sell them off.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(10-26-2022, 11:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'd start Wood and just have *gulp* THJ become more a focal point when Luka/Wood sits. 

Not meaning to pick on you as your post was really about a trade more than a call for Wood to start.  But it is at the end of a thread and had the words I wanted to respond to.

As I’ve written, it is obvious to me that Kidd is dubious about Wood’s ability to defend as a solo big.  The change in the substitution pattern in the third quarter of the NO game just reinforced what I’ve been saying.  My point is that it is easy to call for our second best scorer to start, but it is much harder to draw out a rotation that checks all of the necessary boxes,

1. McGee was promised a starting job
2. Wood WILL NOT start as a solo big.  I just don’t see it happening given his career and given how he’s been used here defensively.
3. We need a second ball handler in the game to start
4. We need both Bruise Brothers in the starting lineup to create the defensive dynamic Kidd wants.

IF Wood starts, you have to violate at least one of the above.  So, when people call for Wood to start, I’d love them to finish the sentence…instead of who?  To be clear, I’m not saying Wood will never start.  I just think he will have McGee, Maxi or Powell next to him when he does.  

I think you are wise to think through the impact on the bench, but it goes deeper than THJ.  Each half we have basically four lineups.  Starters (first six minutes of each half), Bench 1 (with Luka to finish the quarter), Bench 2 (with SD starting the 2nd/4th quarters) and Finishers (final six minutes of the half).  Moving Wood to the starting lineup doesn’t change that much for Hardaway.  The challenge I see is how you re-jigger the big rotation depending on who you start alongside Wood.  I know some still cling to the idea of 5 out and Wood as the solo big, but as I’ve said for months, knowing Kidd, I think that is a specialty lineup rather than a starting lineup.
The answer is either Dinwiddie or Bullock. If Wood is on the court with Luka, Dinwiddie’s creation isn’t as necessary. Him coming off the bench really puts the G minutes in a good spot.

Bullock has been less than impressive, so he’s an easy answer and Wood is better as a help defender to help protect the paint.

McGee or Maxi with Wood is a good go to for most of his 32mpg. The most important part of that sentence is 32mpg.
I really hope we don't need to wait until February before Bullock starts making his shots.  It is fun when he is making them.   With that being said, I never considered him a core player.   I think he is a really solid player but his position is probably the area I would like to upgrade most with a guy who can be our second best player.  Whether that means Bullock is moved, comes off the bench or starts with three wings is TBD.
(10-27-2022, 12:38 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The answer is either Dinwiddie or Bullock. If Wood is on the court with Luka, Dinwiddie’s creation isn’t as necessary. Him coming off the bench really puts the G minutes in a good spot.

Bullock has been less than impressive, so he’s an easy answer and Wood is better as a help defender to help protect the paint.

McGee or Maxi with Wood is a good go to for most of his 32mpg. The most important part of that sentence is 32mpg.

So if McGee is roughly 15 minutes a game and Maxi is roughly 24 minutes a game, who is our center for the remaining 8-10 minutes?  Given that Powell is currently out of the rotation, the only answer is Wood.  If you except that Wood makes more sense with Maxi than McGee, you are looking at a big rotation of:

Maxi/Wood:  24
Mcgee:         16
Wood:          8
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Mavsfan12
(10-27-2022, 02:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: So if McGee is roughly 15 minutes a game and Maxi is roughly 24 minutes a game, who is our center for the remaining 8-10 minutes?  Given that Powell is currently out of the rotation, the only answer is Wood.  If you except that Wood makes more sense with Maxi than McGee, you are looking at a big rotation of:

Maxi/Wood:  24
Mcgee:         16
Wood:          8

I agree with this.  Maybe even a couple less from solo mcgee - 12-14 for him, 26 for the maxi/wood, and then 8 solo for wood (or spot minutes with powell/mcgee depending on the matchup).  I think Wood getting 32-34 min/g is inevitable and coming sooner rather than later.  

I think being a solo big is a big ask for almost ALL C's. Plus, I am of the opinion that Wood should only solo if the matchup dictates it - he is a PF.  He is a skinny 6'9''.  I think that this is the number 1 reason for him to come off the bench where his positives allow him to dominate, while not having to be exposed against starting C's.  This is kind of how Harrell has had a career - and Wood is far more skilled than Harrell, but more slight of build.  If you start wood, you would need to have 2 bigs in the starting lineup.