Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...2837085187
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...3127437314
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • mvossman
Yes! This is good news (and smart GM-ing).

Kleber got the extension that I have been wishing for, and the price was appropriate. It was a good FO move, framed by the fact that the big MLE in 2023 should be about 11.3M and this deal probably starts at 10.8M where the Mavs are offering "the most we can offer." It's a deal everyone can feel good about.

The big plus for the Mavs with this is that it keeps Maxi out of free agency. When you have a player who fits as a key part of your core, you should work to extend at a mutually-reasonable number, whenever doable, rather than let them get to free agency where you have to compete for their services.

The next decision will be Green's 4th year option, that has to be decided before the season starts (probably will wait and see what he looks like in camp).

And then Wood (where they will be juggling "first see how he fits" fitting with "the limits on money/years are stricter for Wood until Dec 23" and with "if he fits, try to keep him from feeling a need to be a free agent where the price becomes iffy"). Right now, the "max" limits for a Wood extension are 2 more years, starting at about $15M, and the result leaves the Mavs in sight of being tax-free in 2023. I would think the Mavs, if they get a positive sense of Wood's fit early in the season, might try to make that happen within that convenient limit.

Bullock would also seem to be one they want to extend, as a key part of their core, but he's not eligible until late next summer.

I know Dougie is also eagerly hoping to see a Powell extension so he can keep making him an issue, but obviously DP's days are done in Dallas when this year ends. They don't have room for him financially, even if they lost their minds, as it would cost Cuban an arm-and-a-leg taxwise to add him to the plans (and I suspect they see his expiring as a trade filler, which means he will be gone if they can find the right swap available).
[-] The following 8 users Like F Gump's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, IamDougieFresh, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
(09-08-2022, 02:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yes! This is good news (and smart GM-ing).

Kleber got the extension that I have been wishing for, and the price was appropriate. It was a good FO move, framed by the fact that the big MLE in 2023 should be about 11.3M and this deal probably starts at 10.8M where the Mavs are offering "the most we can offer." It's a deal everyone can feel good about.

The big plus for the Mavs with this is that it keeps Maxi out of free agency. When you have a player who fits as a key part of your core, you should work to extend at a mutually-reasonable number, whenever doable, rather than let them get to free agency where you have to compete for their services.

The next decision will be Green's 4th year option, that has to be decided before the season starts (probably will wait and see what he looks like in camp).

And then Wood (where they will be juggling "first see how he fits" fitting with "the limits on money/years are stricter for Wood until Dec 23" and with "if he fits, try to keep him from feeling a need to be a free agent where the price becomes iffy"). Right now, the "max" limits for a Wood extension are 2 more years, starting at about $15M, and the result leaves the Mavs in sight of being tax-free in 2023. I would think the Mavs, if they get a positive sense of Wood's fit early in the season, might try to make that happen within that convenient limit.

Bullock would also seem to be one they want to extend, as a key part of their core, but he's not eligible until late next summer.

I know Dougie is also eagerly hoping to see a Powell extension so he can keep making him an issue, but obviously DP's days are done in Dallas when this year ends. They don't have room for him financially, even if they lost their minds, as it would cost Cuban an arm-and-a-leg taxwise to add him to the plans (and I suspect they see his expiring as a trade filler, which means he will be gone if they can find the right swap available).
Nice post. This is the way

Extend Wood in Dec/Jan so he can be available in trade at the 23 draft. Our pick conveys and boom all our future picks are available. And like you mention, we can get out of the tax if we want. Then finish the summer by extending Bullock

Next years FA class is garbage. The trades will be there

In the meantime, we can continually try to improve the team by shopping DP, Bert and THJ
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiQkpB2uZYa/
Jaden hanging out with Floyd Merriweather and Meek Mill

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiMDHkmupBd/
(09-08-2022, 02:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yes! This is good news (and smart GM-ing).

Prepping the McShaqtin hater pivot as we speak
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Added a new poll to the thread.

What say ye?
(09-09-2022, 11:53 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Added a new poll to the thread.

What say ye?

With current personnel?  SD.  We don't have a backup PG, so you have to rotate Luka/SD.  I also think SD's game benefits from coming off the bench.  That said, I like the Luka/Wood pnr having space to operate without McGee.  So, he could move McGee out.  I think this team needs Bull/DFS starting for D.  But it comes down to D for me (and I believe Kidd).  Only way Wood makes the starting squad is if he proves he can anchor D - which would kind of mean McGee is out.
(09-09-2022, 12:18 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: With current personnel?  SD.  We don't have a backup PG, so you have to rotate Luka/SD.  I also think SD's game benefits from coming off the bench.  That said, I like the Luka/Wood pnr having space to operate without McGee.  So, he could move McGee out.  I think this team needs Bull/DFS starting for D.  But it comes down to D for me (and I believe Kidd).  Only way Wood makes the starting squad is if he proves he can anchor D - which would kind of mean McGee is out.
What if he shows the ability to move his feet to be a switchable defender but not a defensive anchor? I think McGee was brought in to be able to bang with all the big starting C’s in the league for long enough so that Wood and Maxi don’t have to take on all that wear and tear. Starting is important because at the beginning of both halves is when those big bigs have the most energy.

You’re probably right in that if Wood can be a defensive anchor, McGee sits. If Wood can be a switchable defender, I think Bullock is the casualty unless Wood also shows he can spell Luka a few possessions here and there while on the court. Then it’s SD.

I also think he’s closer to being a switchable defender than a defensive anchor though.
It doesn't matter who we start alongside Dorian as water covers 71% of the earth's surface, God King covers the rest.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Mavsfan12
(09-09-2022, 12:48 PM)cow Wrote: It doesn't matter who we start alongside Dorian as water covers 71% of the earth's surface, God King covers the rest.

I had that Deon Sanders poster as a kid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • cow
(09-09-2022, 12:48 PM)cow Wrote: It doesn't matter who we start alongside Dorian as water covers 71% of the earth's surface, God King covers the rest.
Wait, so DFS covers 29%? Good thing he covers 9% more than he should. Why do you have such a low opinion of his defense?
(09-09-2022, 12:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What if he shows the ability to move his feet to be a switchable defender but not a defensive anchor? I think McGee was brought in to be able to bang with all the big starting C’s in the league for long enough so that Wood and Maxi don’t have to take on all that wear and tear. Starting is important because at the beginning of both halves is when those big bigs have the most energy.

You’re probably right in that if Wood can be a defensive anchor, McGee sits. If Wood can be a switchable defender, I think Bullock is the casualty unless Wood also shows he can spell Luka a few possessions here and there while on the court. Then it’s SD.

I also think he’s closer to being a switchable defender than a defensive anchor though.

I like Dinwiddie in a 5 out offense where he has more room to get to the rim.  When McGee is out there I would rather have Bullock than Dinwiddie because the offense is going to be centered around Luka/McGee P&R and I like his spacing and defense.  A McGee/Wood/Dorian/Bullock/Luka lineup would have Luka running P&R with 3 guys who shoot over 38% from 3.  Wood will add a little diversity on offense, and we have 3 high level defenders to cover for Luka and Wood.

If Wood actually becomes a true anchor, then you move McGee to the bench and run 5 out from the beginning, but I think that is unlikely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Mavsfan12
(09-09-2022, 02:16 PM)mvossman Wrote: I like Dinwiddie in a 5 out offense where he has more room to get to the rim.  When McGee is out there I would rather have Bullock than Dinwiddie because the offense is going to be centered around Luka/McGee P&R and I like his spacing and defense.  A McGee/Wood/Dorian/Bullock/Luka lineup would have Luka running P&R with 3 guys who shoot over 38% from 3.  Wood will add a little diversity on offense, and we have 3 high level defenders to cover for Luka and Wood.

If Wood actually becomes a true anchor, then you move McGee to the bench and run 5 out from the beginning, but I think that is unlikely.
@"ItsGoTime", These are close to my thought as well.  Either way, McGee isn't going to be out there long.  I just think that SD off the bench is the right call if Wood starts - especially while we don't even have a creator off the bench to back up Luka if he starts.  SD in a 5 out is a demon.  Surround him with THJ/DB/Maxi/Josh and he can get to the rim at will.  I can see closing with SD, but I think he should be coming off the bench to start.  I think it will come down to whether Wood can play D for JKidd or not.
Jaylen Hoard. I'm really wondering why nobody signed him and he's now lacing it up in Isreal.

I have not seem much of him but his late season numbers were impressive and he seems to be pretty developable given he's still only 23 and has good size and athleticism.

So value-wise he should be a strong candidate for a 2 way deal. So what did I miss about him?
1 Not 2-way eligible.
2 Re the stats, they were compiled in a few end-of-season throwaway games, where he was usually playing more than 40 minutes (!) -- and in one he played almost 47. His personal plus-minus was ugly (in one game alone he was -48).
(09-12-2022, 02:28 PM)F Gump Wrote: 1 Not 2-way eligible.
2 Re the stats, they were compiled in a few end-of-season throwaway games, where he was usually playing more than 40 minutes (!) -- and in one he played almost 47. His personal plus-minus was ugly (in one game alone he was -48).
1 is already a major road block - thanks for pointing this out.

Re 2 however, he still managed to make the most out of these minutes.

So, yes: bad competition, bad team, minutes for free etc. But otoh, name other players that were presented with comparable situations and produced comparable results. I hardly can, so I can only repeat myself: why is this guy not signed by anyone?
Listening to Hardwood Knocks ranking of NBA backcourts the last two days.  The Mav's duo of Luka/Dinwiddie ranked eighth.  Both hosts had them at the same place.  They don't like Luka/SD as much as they liked the Luka/Brunson pairing (though they said Dallas would only move up a slot to 7th with Brunson as he isn't the perfect off-ball partner for Luka either).  As has been said, Dinwiddie largely replaces Brunson.  It is the Dinwiddie role that hasn't been replaced.  The criticisms/concerns about Dinwiddie were mostly about injury history.  The teams ahead of them were 1. GS, 2. Phoenix, 3. Atlanta, 4. Philly, 5. Cleveland, 6. Memphis and 7.  Boston.  Dallas has the better "star" than almost all of them.  The thing that made Dallas 8th is the quality of the #2 guy.

If we don't sign another creator, the duo is only going to play about 12 minutes a game together (so are they really a backcourt duo?).  The combo will get about 60 minutes and 48 or those will be used to cover the PG position.  But, I doubt Luka/THJ would rank any higher.

I have a fairly clear bottom five currently in Powell, Bertans, Pinson, Hardy and Frank.  Here is how I see a typical game against a good team when everyone is healthy:

McGee 18       Wood 30                   Powell

DFS 24           Maxi 24                     Bertans

Bullock 28       DFS 8/Green 12         Pinson

Dinwiddie 12   THJ 28/Green 8          Hardy

Luka 32           Dinwiddie 16              Frank

Basically there are 8 proven guys soaking up all but 20 minutes a game most nights.  There is room for some of those guys to eat some additional minutes in an important game reducing that 20 minute spot to 8-10 minutes.  I think Green gets the first shot here.  He played well in the regular season in a similar role and it is probably more important to build his value than it is any of the other guys.  There is a logical backup that can be called up for all five slots among the bottom 5 players.  I personally think Frank is as good a third PG as many.  The issue is how much Dinwiddie is counted on to play two different roles.  If he were to go down you'd pile 16 minutes on inexperienced Frank and a good bit of an additional 12 minutes on inexperienced Green.  If there isn't an additional move, Frank and Green are being heavily counted upon.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, Dahlsim, Hypermav, mvossman, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
The concerns about Dinwiddie are also about his shot.  He’s a career 32% from three.  He shot 40% for the Mavs last year.

He looked amazing for the Mavs but I’m not as confident in him as @"KillerLeft".  TBD if the fit here is so amazing or if it was a post trade I have a chip on my shoulder over performance.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Mavs2021, mvossman