Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(06-30-2022, 06:15 PM)cow Wrote: Pray for GPII to add to that defensive rotation.  And Dragic for some more offensive kick on the second unit.

I don't know what to expect out of 36 yr old Dragic. He'll have a few flashbacks, I'm sure,  but his value will be his experience.
(06-30-2022, 08:01 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I don't know what to expect out of 36 yr old Dragic. He'll have a few flashbacks, I'm sure,  but his value will be his experience.

Well, one thing is certain: going to be tough to call this a "young team" next season.
(06-30-2022, 08:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, one thing is certain: going to be tough to call this a "young team" next season.

Weren't a "young team" this year....
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1542675832249917442
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...5155653634
(06-30-2022, 08:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Weren't a "young team" this year....

I disagree, mostly. But I don't want to argue semantics. I know guys like Kleber and DFS are getting a little long in the tooth, but their two best were 23 and 24. The two rotation players we know of that are (likely) incoming so far are both in their mid to late 30's, which I think is older than anyone who actually played for this team last season. 

Getting older isn't necessarily a bad thing.
https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/15...4815335427
(06-30-2022, 08:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/15...4815335427

*insert snarky Fish comment here*
(06-30-2022, 08:22 PM)cow Wrote: *insert snarky Fish comment here*

Let me help...

Probably read Cato's tweet, and then tried to sell something like it as his own.

Does that work?
[-] The following 4 users Like Winter's post:
  • cow, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Smitty
Random Thought

I LOVE that the shortest Mav is now Hardy at 6'3" w/o shoes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41
(06-30-2022, 10:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Random Thought

I LOVE that the shortest Mav is now Hardy at 6'3" w/o shoes.

I didn't explore Hardy at draft time. For those who did, is he a point/creator type, or more of a shooter on the wing?
(06-30-2022, 10:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: I didn't explore Hardy at draft time. For those who did, is he a point/creator type, or more of a shooter on the wing?

He gets buckets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
(06-30-2022, 10:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: I didn't explore Hardy at draft time. For those who did, is he a point/creator type, or more of a shooter on the wing?

He will eventually be an elite NBA shooter, I am 99% confident about that. But he absolutely has the ceiling to be a shoot-first creator kind of like JB. 

Defense is going to be the big question mark. His rhetoric was good in his press conference, acknowledging that defense is how he is going to get playing time. But in the GLeague his D for the most part (on and off ball) was really poor. 

He seems like a really hard working and focused kid that persevered through a TERRIBLE start in the GLeague. I was not happy about the pick initially but I can now see why the Mavs took a shot.....especially since they already knew JB was leaving on draft night.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, KillerLeft
(06-30-2022, 10:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He will eventually be an elite NBA shooter, I am 99% confident about that. But he absolutely has the ceiling to be a shoot-first creator kind of like JB. 

Defense is going to be the big question mark. His rhetoric was good in his press conference, acknowledging that defense is how he is going to get playing time. But in the GLeague his D for the most part (on and off ball) was really poor. 

He seems like a really hard working and focused kid that persevered through a TERRIBLE start in the GLeague. I was not happy about the pick initially but I can now see why the Mavs took a shot.....especially since they already knew JB was leaving on draft night.

He missed most of his senior year because of COVID.  Going from the level of competition in his junior year to the G-League is a massive leap in the quality of competition and most human beings can't easily find their footing unless you are KG or LeBron.  He's a lottery ticket we should definitely take our time with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Kammrath
He has an absolutely pure stroke. His pro day workout shooting was incredible. I could see him carving a niche early on as a shooter. He definitely is a bucket getter. I see a lot of upside with him. Hopefully he pans out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Kammrath
(06-30-2022, 10:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But he absolutely has the ceiling to be a shoot-first creator kind of like JB. 

This is absolutely the reason they drafted him - because of his ability to create shots for himself (not others) off of a wiiiiide variety of dribble moves. He might be a good off-ball shooter, I'm not sure. He's got the stroke for it.

I've seen him compared to Brunson and Clarkson, and I understand why - because like those guys, he's super creative, especially in the mid range, and able to get an effective shot off pretty much anytime he wants. But, unlike those guys, I haven't noticed him being able to get into the paint quite as effectively off of his drives. Yet. 

The best comp that comes to my mind for his upside is Lou Williams. 
(06-30-2022, 10:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is absolutely the reason they drafted him - because of his ability to create shots for himself (not others) off of a wiiiiide variety of dribble moves. He might be a good off-ball shooter, I'm not sure. He's got the stroke for it.

I've seen him compared to Brunson and Clarkson, and I understand why - because like those guys, he's super creative, especially in the mid range, and able to get an effective shot off pretty much anytime he wants. But, unlike those guys, I haven't noticed him being able to get into the paint quite as effectively off of his drives. Yet. 

The best comp that comes to my mind for his upside is Lou Williams. 

Beal 2.0
(06-30-2022, 10:48 PM)cow Wrote: Beal 2.0

Yeah, that's another good one. In the absolute best case scenario.
(06-30-2022, 10:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He might be a good off-ball shooter, I'm not sure.

Shot 40% on catch and shoot threes in the GLeague despite shooting terrible and getting off to an abominable start.
(06-30-2022, 10:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, that's another good one. In the absolute best case scenario.

It's who he's patterned himself off of.  Dream big!