Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
It will obviously be Kemba because that's what always happens with our big free agent targets.
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
(07-14-2022, 05:22 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Money doesn't quite work.  Recall we are working at 125% plus $100k.  Can't do the $5mm thing over the apron.  So, we'd have to send more than just Powell to match Rose.

I think someone like Rose makes sense positionally.  TO for 23 also makes sense.  Either need a bigger outgoing or a bigger deal with more moving pieces.

Powell alone does reach Clarkson or Beverley.  FWIW, Clarkson is Rich Paul and Beverley is Duffy.  Conley is CAA (no way the leave him stranded in Utah).  Bogdonovic is Wasserman (same as JaVale McGee).

The more I think about it, the more I like the Rose target.  There are some pretty big qualifiers though.  One, Thibs would actually need to move Rose.  Second, the team that acquires Rose would have not use for him.   

But I like the fit.  It is a short term move.    Rose appears to be the vet who this team prefers.  He is a tough player.  Can be a third attacker.   Don't need to over play him but he can fill in for high minutes when needed.   I never viewed him as a good three point shooter but has shot well recently.   

There are some negatives for his game but at his $ and cost, I think he is a suitable short term solution.   Not as tricky of an acquisition as  Conley and a higher tier player than someone like Kemba.  Pretty well in the sweet spot.,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
(07-15-2022, 03:54 AM)Branduil Wrote: It will obviously be Kemba because that's what always happens with our big free agent targets.

Has he been bought out yet? 

I'd be FINE with Powell for Kemba, straight up. Both expiring...at least then the roster would make some sense.
TBH, and I'm sure everyone here will hate this, but I'm pretty enamored with the idea of Mike Conley here in a 20-25 minute role off the bench. I think losing Brunson will have a significant and negative impact on the future talent level of the team, but changing him out for Conley might actually accelerate growth in some of the areas the team is struggling with, short term. It would be a little like changing Devin Harris out for J Kidd back in the day. 

The problem is (in addition to Ainge) that making the money work would be tough without including Hardaway, and I think that deal would open a new hole in a different part of the roster (unless they really like Greenikina).
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
(07-15-2022, 12:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: TBH, and I'm sure everyone here will hate this, but I'm pretty enamored with the idea of Mike Conley here in a 20-25 minute role off the bench. I think losing Brunson will have a significant and negative impact on the future talent level of the team, but changing him out for Conley might actually accelerate growth in some of the areas the team is struggling with, short term. It would be a little like changing Devin Harris out for J Kidd back in the day. 

The problem is (in addition to Ainge) that making the money work would be tough without including Hardaway, and I think that deal would open a new hole in a different part of the roster (unless they really like Greenikina).
Well Indiana now has a bunch of cap space they have nothing to do with, and we know their head coach likes THJ
(07-15-2022, 12:11 PM)Branduil Wrote: Well Indiana now has a bunch of cap space they have nothing to do with, and we know their head coach likes THJ

Do we know that though?  They also already have a better THJ on the roster in Buddy Love.
(07-15-2022, 12:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: TBH, and I'm sure everyone here will hate this, but I'm pretty enamored with the idea of Mike Conley here in a 20-25 minute role off the bench. I think losing Brunson will have a significant and negative impact on the future talent level of the team, but changing him out for Conley might actually accelerate growth in some of the areas the team is struggling with, short term. It would be a little like changing Devin Harris out for J Kidd back in the day. 

To be honest, I would much rather have Greenikina try to fill the missing wing/3&D minutes than watch Hardy try to fill the missing playmaking minutes.  I think sending out Timmy would be a hit from an asset standpoint but a win from a fit standpoint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
(07-15-2022, 01:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: To be honest, I would much rather have Greenikina try to fill the missing wing/3&D minutes than watch Hardy try to fill the missing playmaking minutes.  I think sending out Timmy would be a hit from an asset standpoint but a win from a fit standpoint.

Yeah, I think you're right, especially since Kleber will probably be playing some 4 in most games to facilitate a role for McGee (whether we like it or not). Those Greenikina minutes, in addition to being less important than the creator/handler minutes, could potentially be a much lower percentage of game time pretty often.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
In case any one was wondering if they had any relevant moves waiting in the wings (hehe see what I did there).

MacMahon on the podcast said that Mavs' front office feel the urgency but don’t want to make “panic” moves that could handcuff them in the future. 

Sounds like they are done to me, not that I had any doubt. I could see a salary dump move to save Cuban a little something, maybe a couple 2nd rounders + Powell to IND.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fuerza1's post:
  • KillerLeft
(07-15-2022, 02:19 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: In case any one was wondering if they had any relevant moves waiting in the wings (hehe see what I did there).

MacMahon on the podcast said that Mavs' front office feel the urgency but don’t want to make “panic” moves that could handcuff them in the future. 

Sounds like they are done to me, not that I had any doubt. I could see a salary dump move to save Cuban a little something, maybe a couple 2nd rounders + Powell to IND.

Ugh.
I think the Mavs are done. If not, we will wish that they had been. They just don't have the assets to deal for an impact player.

I do like the Christian Wood trade, but I'm afraid they're going to screw that up too. Why would you bench the guy you need to grow into your 2nd best player in order to sign a journeyman backup center? I don't understand anything anymore.
[-] The following 3 users Like loki's post:
  • Branduil, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
(07-15-2022, 03:02 PM)loki Wrote: I think the Mavs are done. If not, we will wish that they had been. They just don't have the assets to deal for an impact player.

I do like the Christian Wood trade, but I'm afraid they're going to screw that up too. Why would you bench the guy you need to grow into your 2nd best player in order to sign a journeyman backup center? I don't understand anything anymore.

I really, really, really hope they are not done.  I have given up on a big move.  It is probably for the best, I guess. That big move will totally void us of future assets...if we could even make that move.    So I am hoping for a creative middle move or a smart low cost move.   A creative move would be something probably including Powell.  Maybe give up a small asset but keep the rest of our assets open.  The small move would be something similar to the Clippers signing Hartenstein last year.  Not a Center player, but by the end of the year we all look back and think that was a really smart move by Dallas.   So not like the Sterling Brown signing. 

I just can't believe we go into the season this year with less ball handlers than last year.  Heck, we don't even have a Trey Burke on the roster.  Last year at this time, there was also a sliver of hope on Tyrell Terry.     It would be just terrible if they left the last roster spot open to be flexible but decided to use a real spot on Pinson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
(07-15-2022, 03:22 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I really, really, really hope they are not done.  I have given up on a big move.  It is probably for the best, I guess. That big move will totally void us of future assets...if we could even make that move.    So I am hoping for a creative middle move or a smart low cost move.   A creative move would be something probably including Powell.  Maybe give up a small asset but keep the rest of our assets open.  The small move would be something similar to the Clippers signing Hartenstein last year.  Not a Center player, but by the end of the year we all look back and think that was a really smart move by Dallas.   So not like the Sterling Brown signing. 

I just can't believe we go into the season this year with less ball handlers than last year.  Heck, we don't even have a Trey Burke on the roster.  Last year at this time, there was also a sliver of hope on Tyrell Terry.     It would be just terrible if they left the last roster spot open to be flexible but decided to use a real spot on Pinson.

The more I think about where the roster is right now, the more I think there is literally no chance they're completely done. They'll add another PG, at least, there's no doubt in my mind. I just don't know that the guy they'll add will be someone we here consider in any way consequential.
(07-15-2022, 03:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The more I think about where the roster is right now, the more I think there is literally no chance they're completely done. They'll add another PG, at least, there's no doubt in my mind. I just don't know that the guy they'll add will be someone we here consider in any way consequential.

Yeah, I think there is a strong likelihood of at least one new player added (not including Dorsey).   Maybe a solid shot of 2 players added.   You are right, it may not be consequential.

It may just take some time.  I could see them waiting for any movement with Utah or Brooklyn.  Utah has a ton of solid players.   Some will need to move elsewhere.
(07-15-2022, 03:30 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, I think there is a strong likelihood of at least one new player added (not including Dorsey).

See, I think there's a chance they might view Dorsey as that 3rd ball-handler, or at least the "Plan Z" version of it. 

I don't think he comes here on a two-way. Could be wrong.
(07-15-2022, 03:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The more I think about where the roster is right now, the more I think there is literally no chance they're completely done. They'll add another PG, at least, there's no doubt in my mind. I just don't know that the guy they'll add will be someone we here consider in any way consequential.

I'm guessing whoever it is, it will add to the frustration that we didn't go harder at getting Dragic.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
(07-15-2022, 03:35 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm guessing whoever it is, it will add to the frustration that we didn't go harder at getting Dragic.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, too. We'll see.
I actually like Dragic and think he would/could have been a viable part of the rotation.  But...for whatever reason, regardless of the fact how "everyone" seemed to want him...either we've whiffed on him, or he's whiffed on us...and--where is he now?...the Bulls?

Where was I?  Ah yes...we've whiffed on him for--I guess it seems like the last 14 years...or so.  Maybe less.  A little more reading indicates that it is indeed the Mavs who whiffed on him since he wasn't too impressed with the package the Mavs presented to him, so Goran Dragic is now at the...Bulls?  

Ah...c'est la vie, que sera sera, it's fate, such is life, etc., etc., etc.

Damn, I'll be glad when the season starts.
We can always sign Zoran.
(07-15-2022, 05:59 PM)cow Wrote: We can always sign Zoran.

We'll whiff on him too...