Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(07-14-2022, 01:57 PM)F Gump Wrote: The most desirable player in that trade, from a Mavs pov, is Bullock. He's a key starter here, and a core of what they are trying to do, on a very affordable contract. He's going nowhere.

If you are thinking Harris fits the criteria of a "star" to chase, um no. He's just a very high-paid player who doesn't really push the needle when it comes to impacting a game. Those worker bees who help the stars and add some contributions here and there at times are good to have, but certainly not at that sort of price.

I like what Bullock did the second half of the season and in the playoffs, and I like his fit on the team, but I feel like this board overrates him.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, omahen
(07-14-2022, 02:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: I like what Bullock did the second half of the season and in the playoffs, and I like his fit on the team, but I feel like this board overrates him.

It's like this I think.

You don't move a player who has played well on both sides of the ball, shot pretty well in the playoffs, and who fits in the team chemistry unless the guy you're trading for is a Tier 2 or above player. I don't think it's much more complicated than that. This trade feels mostly just sideways to me. Like you're just trading for the sake of trading.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs, sterlingmallory
Trading players away so quickly after we've signed them as free agents is also a nasty trend we need to buck.  It's probably something that doesn't help us in other pursuits.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
I am having trouble getting there on Hayward.   In theory, he seems like a good fit skillwise.  His injury history just scares me too much.   I think I would prefer Hardaway.

Regarding the Hornets, who has higher trade value to the Hornets:  Hayward or Rozier? Rozier has four years left on his contract but has been the better player.

In looking for the third guard, here is what I am looking for:  A guy who can get into the lane and is tough to stay in front of and 6'3 or taller.  A taller guard will also make it easier to play all three at the same time in certain situations.  

My vision is to have three really good guys who can break defenses down; 3-5 wings who can defend and hit open shots; a big guy who can rim run; and a combination shooter & rim runner big guy.  

I think if they can find this guard, this offense will be really hard to stop.   Not sure if Rozier is attainable of if I would take on that contract, but he fits some of the things I am looking for (he is smaller but plays bigger).  Having Luka suck up a lot of defense focus and spreading the floor with the rest, when you add another good penetrator this will give defenses no answers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Rozier? Yuck. 

I guess I’m probably oversold on this. But my view is that every player needs to (1) stretch the floor and (2) survive switches on D. That’s what it takes to be a 2-way player in today’s NBA. Rozier can’t do #2, so I’m out.
(07-14-2022, 04:22 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Rozier? Yuck. 

I guess I’m probably oversold on this. But my view is that every player needs to (1) stretch the floor and (2) survive switches on D. That’s what it takes to be a 2-way player in today’s NBA. Rozier can’t do #2, so I’m out.

You may be right.  I hadn't thought of him until I watched some highlights.

Question, can you guys help me out.   I read Fournier and Rose are the veteran names maybe in the Utah Mitchell trade.    Could we get involved for Rose?   Is he a fit?   Powell for Rose type of move?
(07-14-2022, 05:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Question, can you guys help me out.   I read Fournier and Rose are the veteran names maybe in the Utah Mitchell trade.    Could we get involved for Rose?   Is he a fit?   Powell for Rose type of move?

Money doesn't quite work.  Recall we are working at 125% plus $100k.  Can't do the $5mm thing over the apron.  So, we'd have to send more than just Powell to match Rose.

I think someone like Rose makes sense positionally.  TO for 23 also makes sense.  Either need a bigger outgoing or a bigger deal with more moving pieces.

Powell alone does reach Clarkson or Beverley.  FWIW, Clarkson is Rich Paul and Beverley is Duffy.  Conley is CAA (no way the leave him stranded in Utah).  Bogdonovic is Wasserman (same as JaVale McGee).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1K3otshcY&ab_channel=NBASarah

I like him for the Mavs, but can you get a more wide open game winner?
https://twitter.com/1053thefan/status/1547709272318001152?s=20&t=ishgplRqheXDlFoLT5Pyaw
RE: Reading the Tea Leaves of Summer League Attendees & Nico/Player Comments

I really think it is a mistake to think that the Mavs are telling their players if they are being shopped. KP was very clear he had no idea he was going to be traded until Nico called him AFTER it had happened. Nico and Kidd are going to talk about players like they are part of the team until the moment they are not. And not a moment sooner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jommybone
depressed earth
(07-14-2022, 09:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: depressed earth

[Image: elmo-burn.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
(07-14-2022, 09:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: depressed earth

At least it is a new stage of grief.
(07-14-2022, 10:19 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: At least it is a new stage of grief.

I don't know which stage I'm in right now, but I feel like I've been through a lot of them this summer.
(07-14-2022, 10:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't know which stage I'm in right now, but I feel like I've been through a lot of them this summer.

I predict we are one Powell trade away (or about 3 weeks away if no trade happens) from acceptance.  Time heals all wounds.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Tyler
(07-14-2022, 10:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I predict we are one Powell trade away (or about 3 weeks away if no trade happens) from acceptance.  Time heals all wounds.

We fester and bleed until Bertans is gone.
(07-14-2022, 10:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I predict we are one Powell trade away (or about 3 weeks away if no trade happens) from acceptance.  Time heals all wounds.

The circle of life...Mavs edition.
(07-14-2022, 10:33 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The circle of life...Mavs edition.

Like it will be some earth-bending trade. It´s Powell. If any reasonable player is so supposed to be the return, it would probably cost two future 1st round assets.
I'd accept the Dwight Powell of point guards at this point
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • KillerLeft

A couple Powell trade ideas:

Powell + a second rounder to OKC for JaMychal Green
Powell + a second rounder to Charlotte for Kelly Oubre (lol)

The number of picks is negotiable but those seem like somewhat realistic possibilities to me. I specifically looked for players that would work in a trade for Powell straight up and are also expiring contracts as it just seems the Mavs style to want to keep flexibility and not take on any guaranteed money next year. Either guy would get a prove it year like Wood and we can decide if we want to keep them going forward. I would strongly prefer Green as I think he would be a great 4 in our system. Oubre is a dumb player and probably redundant with THJ but I don't know he's a wing at least.

Or if you want a guard then Powell for Pat Bev or Kemba works. I'd love Seth Curry for a 3rd time but I doubt the Nets want to do that.

I honestly doubt we make any huge trades, I think a smaller one like that is more likely and could potentially get us a useable piece out of it.