Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
I think Markieff Morris is done. Pretty much James Johnson at this point in his career...who still ended up getting minutes when he was here too
(02-06-2023, 12:32 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Pretty much James Johnson at this point in his career...who still ended up getting minutes when he was here too

Yeah, he'd be pretty useful right about now, too. 

The hole left behind by DFS is real. We'll probably never think about Dinwiddie ever again if this goes anything close to well, but DFS has been a 40 minutes per guy, mostly at the 4, for YEARS.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman
(02-06-2023, 10:51 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I thought we had one second left? Anyway if the 2027 1st has to be unprotected, you can ask for three 2nd rounders from Orlando back. I´m sure they´d happily do that. That 2027 1st could be the top top pick and is easily worth three 2nd rounders.

I said I guess Phoenix says no, but it´s hard to tell. Crowder and Saric are both expiring and Crowder refuses to play for them. On paper Saric for Levert is a fair trade, but I think Phoenix overrates their position and leverage.

But let´s do it like that now...

Bertans + McGee + 2027 unprotected 1st for Bamba + Harris + three 2nd round picks.

Crowder/Saric to Dallas
THJ to Cleveland
Levert + three 2nd round picks to Phoenix

We have a second left, but it is tied up with the 23 first.  We should have it available in offseason.

As you mentioned the 2027 unprotected first is very valuable.  No interest in sending that out for Bamba and Harris.  I have no interest in spending the limited assets we have in getting off our bad contracts.  I would rather stretch waive either/both if necessary.
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1622596150925590529?s=20&t=4uS1ZD5LSI8CRnQ7PjUYCA

It's so gonna be Jae Crowder.
(02-06-2023, 12:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1622596150925590529?s=20&t=4uS1ZD5LSI8CRnQ7PjUYCA

It's so gonna be Jae Crowder.

Batum
mvossman Wrote:We have a second left, but it is tied up with the 23 first.  We should have it available in offseason.

As you mentioned the 2027 unprotected first is very valuable.  No interest in sending that out for Bamba and Harris.  I have no interest in spending the limited assets we have in getting off our bad contracts.  I would rather stretch waive either/both if necessary.

I have no interest in this either, but if you screw yourself over, you might as well do it right. And since we have no 2nds to trade, what else is there, but to throw in the 1st and get rid of Bertans/McGee that way? Other option is Green/Hardy or Wood, which is just a talent sideways move.
(02-06-2023, 02:26 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I have no interest in this either, but if you screw yourself over, you might as well do it right. And since we have no 2nds to trade, what else is there, but to throw in the 1st and get rid of Bertans/McGee that way? Other option is Green/Hardy or Wood, which is just a talent sideways move.

I think the other option is Timmy (who might be slightly negative but not in same league as Bertans/McGee) plus the very valuable first.  That should net you a much better package.
(02-06-2023, 12:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Has he recovered from his last encounter with Jokic

NBA script writers working overtime this year to have the Morris redemption arc when the Mavs knock out the Nuggets in the playoffs to face the Celtics in the finals where Kyrie can finally enact his revenge.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
In theory, if the Mavs keep Wood, this roster is going to be something else on the offensive end. My holy grail for a great scorer is a player who can manage a 60% true shooting percentage on about 30% usage. High use and high efficiency. Can’t beat it.  Luka can do that at 38% usage and Kyrie at 30%. And then Wood as your number three this season is at 64% TS% with pretty high 26% usage.  That’s a lot of high efficiency, high volume scoring between those three.  And Green, our new defensive stopper, is certainly a low volume player, but when he does shoot,  it’s a 67% TS% this season. And, while I don’t think Powell should be the fifth guy, some folks say he and his 74% TS% will be. I don’t know of any team in the NBA that can roll out that combination of highly efficient players in a plausible lineup. The defense will be an issue, but this should be a fun team to watch. I just hope the coaches are up to figuring out how to win with a greatest show on the hardwood approach.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
(02-06-2023, 10:00 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So the biggest question is:

Do you go all-in now?

I´d say Bertans + McGee + Mavs 2027 first top 6 protected for Bamba/Harris is an offer Orlando would accept.

Neither Bamba nor Harris are the sort of player the Mavs really need, nor ones you spend hat remaining 1st for. imo
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, omahen, Smitty
(02-06-2023, 05:55 PM)F Gump Wrote: Neither Bamba nor Harris are the sort of player the Mavs really need, nor ones you spend hat remaining 1st for. imo
To add to that, Bamba isn't the type of lumbering big I'd want. That dude is Lurch incarnate.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
We will know in a couple of days but there is an interesting dillema now. Do the Mavs count on Irving staying sane in the longer term or will they go all in now? With a little shift of the pick being sent to Nets to 2028 or 2030, they could still have 3 picks to trade in the summer. Enough for a good two way wing.
(02-06-2023, 07:01 PM)omahen Wrote: We will know in a couple of days but there is an interesting dillema now. Do the Mavs count on Irving staying sane in the longer term or will they go all in now? With a little shift of the pick being sent to Nets to 2028 or 2030, they could still have 3 picks to trade in the summer. Enough for a good two way wing.

Thinking more about this. If the future is Luka-Irving-(hopefuly) Green-2way wing, who is the center on this team? Woods offense seems a bit redundant in this case. Is there a move for a more defensive oriented center at the TDL without sending the pick? My guess for the trading partner would be either any East team or one of the tanking teams in the West. 

A couple of ideas:
Tor: Wood for Young and Achiuwa (both needed also this season)
Was: Wood for Barton and Gafford (Wood is an awkward fit with KP but perhaps a third team like Clippers could be included)
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • F Gump
(02-06-2023, 08:07 PM)omahen Wrote: Thinking more about this. If the future is Luka-Irving-(hopefuly) Green-2way wing, who is the center on this team? Woods offense seems a bit redundant in this case. Is there a move for a more defensive oriented center at the TDL without sending the pick? My guess for the trading partner would be either any East team or one of the tanking teams in the West. 

I know of a defensive oriented center whose team could have interest in Wood...

https://tenor.com/view/ayton-gif-18317546
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, haveitall
(02-07-2023, 01:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I know of a defensive oriented center whose team could have interest in Wood...

He'd be hated here quickly.  There'd be games where he looks all-world and games where you'd wish Diamond was getting his minutes.  I also don't think he wants to be the 3rd banana on a big three again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
(02-07-2023, 01:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I know of a defensive oriented center whose team could have interest in Wood...

No way Phoenix trades Ayton for Wood straight up. If they will be trading him, it will be in a star trade, imho
This game against Utah further determined me in thinking a contender shouldn't spend big on traditional centers. Utah lineup is huge yet they were totally outplayed by smaller and mobile lineup Mavs used. I am totally out on centers like Poeltl, Valanciunas or Nurkic. Too much money and assets for a guy that will be very limited in a playoff environment imho. Invets in the wing and run with a cheap mobile center.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MAVS-SLO, MFFL, sterlingmallory
(02-07-2023, 05:34 AM)omahen Wrote: This game against Utah further determined me in thinking a contender shouldn't spend big on traditional centers. Utah lineup is huge yet they were totally outplayed by smaller and mobile lineup Mavs used. I am totally out on centers like Poeltl, Valanciunas or Nurkic. Too much money and assets for a guy that will be very limited in a playoff environment imho. Invets in the wing and run with a cheap mobile center.

Agree.

I think Wood is really underrated on Mavs twitter and forums. In my opinion he is really showing effort on defensive end and in offense he is exactly the type of a big a contender needs in a playoff. 

If FO decided to move on from him, i would be targetting John Collins as his replacment even if i prefer Wood to stay (sadly Bam isn't availalbe Smile ).

Also sending any of remaining assests for a big which ussualy got exposed in the playoffs and paying the max to a player who can't create his own shot is not the path. 

I think we have a really good core of the team now.

Wood - Powell - Kleber
? - Morris
Green - Bullock
Kyrie - Hardy
Luka - ?

Also game against Utah is another indicator that we should and we can move on from THJ (i've been one of his biggest advocates) and that won't hurt the team. With other remaining assets target a 4-3 player and if everything clicks we have a shot on a championship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAVS-SLO's post:
  • omahen

No thanks. Pass for me.
(02-07-2023, 05:34 AM)omahen Wrote: This game against Utah further determined me in thinking a contender shouldn't spend big on traditional centers. Utah lineup is huge yet they were totally outplayed by smaller and mobile lineup Mavs used. I am totally out on centers like Poeltl, Valanciunas or Nurkic. Too much money and assets for a guy that will be very limited in a playoff environment imho. Invets in the wing and run with a cheap mobile center.

You do you, but I don't think Poeltl is anything like those other two. He's at the top of my non-star wish list right now.