Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(04-14-2024, 12:53 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Definitely. I posted it in another thread - they have 5 attacking players on the 1-3 positions with Harden, Leonard, George, Westbrook and Powell, which will make it very tough to hide or at least protect Kyrie and Luka as our worst individual defenders. They will try to at least tire them out during the games, score on them and maybe get them into foul trouble. No other team has that ability in my opinion, not even the Celtics.

I don't know how you can make that statement. Boston beat them 119-100 at Dal and 138-110 in Bos.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Mavs first playoff game is on Sunday
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 05:38 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: I don't know how you can make that statement. Boston beat them 119-100 at Dal and 138-110 in Bos.

Don’t get me wrong, the Clippers aren’t the best team in the league and I‘m quite sure they won‘t win the championship. But they present the worst match for our biggest weakness on defense, which is the individual defense of Luka and Kyrie. Even if they both hold their own it will make them less effective in the 4th quarter when they have to defend an attacking player every minute they are on the court. And that‘s where my comparison with the Celtics was pointing at, not overall team strength, but number of players able to attack off the bounce on the guard and small forward positions. 

I do hope that Luka forces them to play Mann for extended minutes, because he isn’t that strong at attacking off the bounce like the other 5 guys I mentioned and would allow Luka to rest on D. And I wouldn’t be too sad if Leonard’s knee is less than a hundred percent to be honest. 

I still think we will be able to get through in 6 or 7 games, but it will be a hard fought series because of these individual match-ups.
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 05:52 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Don’t get me wrong, the Clippers aren’t the best team in the league and I‘m quite sure they won‘t win the championship. But they present the worst match for our biggest weakness on defense, which is the individual defense of Luka and Kyrie. Even if they both hold their own it will make them less effective in the 4th quarter when they have to defend an attacking player every minute they are on the court. And that‘s where my comparison with the Celtics was pointing at, not overall team strength, but number of players able to attack of the bounce on the guard and small forward positions. 

I do hope that Luka forces them to play Mann for extended minutes, because he isn’t that strong at attacking of the bounce like the other 5 guys I mentioned and would allow Luka to rest on D. And I wouldn’t be to sad if Leonard’s knee is less than a hundred percent to be honest. 

I still think we will be able to get through in 6 or 7 games, but it will be a hard fought series because of these individual match-ups.

LOL, he was talking about your comment about the Celtics vs. the Mavs.
Like Reply
Here's hoping that being in the east has made Boston look better than they are...

and that JKidd just didn't want to show anything to our potential finals matchup.  Cool
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
I think our regular lineup will have long stretches of dominating the Clippers. But when they punch back and get some momentum in the series……

Maxi guards Kawhi
PJ guards PG13
DJJ guards Harden
Kyrie guards Powell
Luka guards Mann

We’ll see some important minutes that look like that
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 10:04 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I think our regular lineup will have long stretches of dominating the Clippers. But when they punch back and get some momentum in the series……

Maxi guards Kawhi
PJ guards PG13
DJJ guards Harden
Kyrie guards Powell
Luka guards Mann

We’ll see some important minutes that look like that

Seems like Dallas has a significant rebounding and interior defense edge with those matchups. Can LA really go that small?
Like Reply
Full regular-season grades for all 30 NBA teams

Dallas Mavericks
Grade: A-
Midseason grade: B-
Everything clicked for the Mavericks after they added starters Daniel Gafford and Washington in deadline deals around the same time Kyrie Irving got healthy after missing 22 of the team's first 49 games. Add in an MVP-caliber campaign from Luka Doncic and Dallas was one of the NBA's better teams after the break, moving up to the fifth seed in the West a year after finishing outside the top 10.

https://archive.is/jlOwz#selection-17261.0-17261.47
Like Reply
Don't you all find it annoying when the talking heads talk about Jokic having the advantage in the MVP race because of the "advanced stats" that show he's more efficient... but completely ignore that Centers will always have an edge when it comes to efficiency and these stats because of the nature of their position on court and playing closer to the basket?

I feel they should at least acknowledge this advantage, when comparing the efficiency of a Center to a Guard/Forward.

It's not like Luka is far behind in those advanced numbers either, despite having a much lesser team for half the season and despite playing in a position that is less efficient by its very nature.

BPM: Jokic 1st, Luka 2nd.
VORP: Jokic 1st, Luka 2nd.
PER: Jokic 1st, Luka 4th.
WS/48: Jokic 1st, Luka 5th.

PPG: Luka 1st (33.9), Jokic 9th (26.4)

This feels like a repeat of 2005-06, when Kobe was the best and most valuable player in the league, and was dumping all over every team (81 points, outscored the Mavs by himself over 3 quarters, 56 games of 30+ PPG, etc)... but they gave it to Nash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
This playoff series is going to be fascinating between Dallas and LAC. One team will leave very disappointed. A healthy Clipper team may be better than any of their other teams. They had a stretch where they looked like a top 3 team in the league. Can they get back to that level again?

I really like coach Lue and think he has the advantage over Kidd. I think Lue will make more adjustments in the series. Lets see if they work and if Kidd can also adjust when needed.

Looking at the rosters the last time this team played each other in the playoffs, I feel like the Clippers are smaller. They have 3 centers now (can't play together), but are missing Morris and Batum. They players they added are probably better but a little smaller. Both Morris and Batum were bigger bodies to throw at Luka and try to wear him down.

On the other side, Dallas is much bigger. Dallas had no rim protection (minus Maxi). While they had Maxi and DFS to try to guard Leonard, Leonard just destroyed Kleber. Kleber played good defense but Leonard seemed to score every time against him (at least it appeared that way). Now Dallas has DJJ and PJ to throw at Leonard. Plus, they have bigger centers who will make it harder to score at the rim. There are negatives to this as well, but I really like what the bigger bodies have brought.

Lastly, I am pretty confident Luka, Kyrie and a healthy Leonard will show up big. The key to the series is probably the other guys. Who steps up or who shrinks may determine who gets out of round 1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 10:22 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This playoff series is going to be fascinating between Dallas and LAC.  One team will leave very disappointed.  A healthy Clipper team may be better than any of their other teams.  They had a stretch where they looked like a top 3 team in the league.  Can they get back to that level again?

I really like coach Lue and think he has the advantage over Kidd.  I think Lue will make more adjustments in the series.  Lets see if they work and if Kidd can also adjust when needed. 

Looking at the rosters the last time this team played each other in the playoffs, I feel like the Clippers are smaller.  They have 3 centers now (can't play together), but are missing Morris and Batum.  They players they added are probably better but a little smaller.  Both Morris and Batum were bigger bodies to throw at Luka and try to wear him down.   

On the other side, Dallas is much bigger.  Dallas had no rim protection (minus Maxi).  While they had Maxi and DFS to try to guard Leonard, Leonard just destroyed Kleber.  Kleber played good defense but Leonard seemed to score every time against him (at least it appeared that way).  Now Dallas has DJJ and PJ to throw at Leonard.  Plus, they have bigger centers who will make it harder to score at the rim.  There are negatives to this as well, but I really like what the bigger bodies have brought. 

Lastly, I am pretty confident Luka, Kyrie and a healthy Leonard will show up big.  The key to the series is probably the other guys.  Who steps up or who shrinks may determine who gets out of round 1.

Kyrie never missed at the elbow against us.   KINDA ODD AINT IT!

Next series he missed a lot from the elbow.   MAKES SENSE AINT IT!
Like Reply
BTW, I have been traveling. Really tough news for Lively. I feel for him. I know he wished for his Mom to be around for 30-40 years longer. I guess when Lively missed a game a few weeks ago that this was coming. I actually didn't know she was sick again. I wonder if she was always sick but they kept it private. Or if her cancer came back and came back with a vengeance recently?

While losing his mom will never stop hurting, the last year he had with him mom was magical. He also lived with his mom. She got to see her son reach a life long dream and see really great early success while also being mature well beyond his years. I imagine seeing him in the NBA after dreaming about it together for years was really special to her. I am sure it eased her mind to see Dereck in a good spot and see how he has adapted to being an NBA player so quickly. I am sure she wanted to see 15 years of him playing, but is probably at peace knowing she did a great job. RIP.
[-] The following 5 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Knutsen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 10:35 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: BTW, I have been traveling.  Really tough news for Lively. I feel for him.  I know he wished for his Mom to be around for 30-40 years longer.  I guess when Lively missed a game a few weeks ago that this was coming.    I actually didn't know she was sick again.  I wonder if she was always sick but they kept it private.  Or if her cancer came back and came back with a vengeance recently?

While losing his mom will never stop hurting, the last year he had with him mom was magical.    He also lived with his mom.  She got to see her son reach a life long dream and see really great early success while also being mature well beyond his years.  I imagine seeing him in the NBA after dreaming about it together for years was really special to her.  I am sure it eased her mind to see Dereck in a good spot and see how he has adapted to being an NBA player so quickly.  I am sure she wanted to see 15 years of him playing, but is probably at peace knowing she did a great job.  RIP.

I had similar thoughts, but you worded that nicely. Great comment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Tough news about Lively's mom. I lost mine when I was in my 60s and it hurt, so losing his mom while he's just 20 has got to leave a big hole.

Regarding the Clips...

Do we just automatically dump our (very successful) starting lineup and immediately try to match up? Is it possible we make them react to what we do well instead? DAL rotation has worked well against big and small, young and old, green and experienced, teams. Doesn't the coaching staff need to see how it plays out before doing something that messes with the developing chemistry? Reacting too early feels like some of the Avery Johnson coaching moves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
[Image: GLKTKWRWsAAfYkI?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 12:21 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Tough news about Lively's mom. I lost mine when I was in my 60s and it hurt, so losing his mom while he's just 20 has got to leave a big hole.

Regarding the Clips...

Do we just automatically dump our (very successful) starting lineup and immediately try to match up? Is it possible we make them react to what we do well instead? DAL rotation has worked well against big and small, young and old, green and experienced, teams. Doesn't the coaching staff need to see how it plays out before doing something that messes with the developing chemistry? Reacting too early feels like some of the Avery Johnson coaching moves.

I would be extremely surprised if Mavs wouldn't start with what have been their best five last stretch of the season. Defensive assignments will be interesting for me to observe. From the Mavs side I fully expect Gafford on Zubac and PJ on Kawhi. Luka will be probably on Mann. Harden is their nominal playmaker, but is smaller than George. So do you put Irving on him or George? Harden/Zubac PnR would create a lot of tough mismatches for Mavs. Or do perhaps Mavs put Luka on George and Kyrie on Mann?

On the other side it was usually Mann guarding Luka, but I am not sure he can be a match for a play-off Luka. Much smaller and weaker. Westbrook was also trying to be ultra aggresive on Luka in past games. Tucker is probably to slow to be able to efficiently defend him. They might try Theiss. If Clippers put one of their stars on him, he will just run high PnR as those guys don't really fight through screens. The big question is, will Clippers put Zubac on either DJJ or PJ immediately or try some traditional defense first. I am expecting they start hiding him immediately. I am a bit affraid of the aggresive Clippers bench with Westbrook and Theiss and their small ball with Theiss at center. He is always ultra aggresive and plays with huge energy. Sort of as a bit shorter version than Gafford. He can also hit a three. Other than perhaps Mann - which Clipper can guard Kyrie 1on1?

I am also interested which teams center will be played off the floor sooner Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 07:52 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Don't you all find it annoying when the talking heads talk about Jokic having the advantage in the MVP race because of the "advanced stats" that show he's more efficient... but completely ignore that Centers will always have an edge when it comes to efficiency and these stats because of the nature of their position on court and playing closer to the basket?

I feel they should at least acknowledge this advantage, when comparing the efficiency of a Center to a Guard/Forward.

It's not like Luka is far behind in those advanced numbers either, despite having a much lesser team for half the season and despite playing in a position that is less efficient by its very nature.

BPM: Jokic 1st, Luka 2nd.
VORP: Jokic 1st, Luka 2nd.
PER: Jokic 1st, Luka 4th.
WS/48: Jokic 1st, Luka 5th.

PPG: Luka 1st (33.9), Jokic 9th (26.4)

This feels like a repeat of 2005-06, when Kobe was the best and most valuable player in the league, and was dumping all over every team (81 points, outscored the Mavs by himself over 3 quarters, 56 games of 30+ PPG, etc)... but they gave it to Nash.

Do you think that Jokic positions himself on the floor like a center?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 12:21 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Regarding the Clips...

I‘m pretty sure they won‘t react in the first game. You play to your strengths in the first game of a playoff series and then see where you‘re at and begin to iterate if necessary. Especially since we start away from home and winning one of the first two games would count as a success. 

I read a stat that the Clippers are 23-4 this season when Harden dishes 10 or more assists. Suggests he is the clear cut head of the snake and the key to their offense?
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 02:12 PM)Knutsen Wrote: I read a stat that the Clippers are 23-4 this season when Harden dishes 10 or more assists. Suggests he is the clear cut head of the snake and the key to their offense?
Limiting Harden to less than 7 assists should be a very good start, yes.

Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 12:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Do you think that Jokic positions himself on the floor like a center?

Well, not all the time, and certainly less than your usual Center. However, Jokic positions himself on the floor like a Center a lot more often than Luka does (or needs to) when generating offense, as almost all of Luka's offense is generated from the perimeter or thereabouts. So since this MVP race is between Jokic vs Luka, not Jokic vs more traditional type of Centers or Centers of old, I think it's important that the MVP voters keep it in mind. Would you agree?

Then there are other advantages that Centers have on defense due to being closer to the basket that add to their PER, BPM, WS, VORP, etc too, is it not?
Like Reply