Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
MacMahon] Mavs are 16-2 over an 18-game span for the first time since their championship season in 2011, per @ESPNStatsInfo. For all of the big numbers Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving are putting up, the most impressive stat is that Dallas has the league’s No. 1 defense during this run.

Can’t believe JKidd figured it out
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 10:13 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: MacMahon] Mavs are 16-2 over an 18-game span for the first time since their championship season in 2011, per @ESPNStatsInfo. For all of the big numbers Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving are putting up, the most impressive stat is that Dallas has the league’s No. 1 defense during this run.

Safe to say that Gafford was worth a future pick swap
[-] The following 7 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 10:13 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: MacMahon] Mavs are 16-2 over an 18-game span for the first time since their championship season in 2011, per @ESPNStatsInfo. For all of the big numbers Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving are putting up, the most impressive stat is that Dallas has the league’s No. 1 defense during this run.

Gafford and PJ have been better and more mobile on defense than I expected. They're contributing a lot to that stat.

DJJ, Exum and Green are doing very good on that end too. With DJJ in particular, the Mavs seem to have found a Herbert Jones type of defender, or close enough.

If PJ, DJJ, Exum and Green can knock down more threes at a better rate... it will be great. Especially in key moments.
[-] The following 2 users Like RGP1981's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVS2Lxw1qo

NBA Unplugged with Kevin Hart. (27 min video) Dirk, Brunson, interviews.
Like Reply
The West is set. Denver finishing at the top is a near certainty. Last thing to really settle is the play-in.

1 DEN
8 SAC/LAL/GSW

4 LAC
5 DAL

3 OKC
6 NOP

2 MIN
7 PHX

If the Mavs want to win it all, they could have what I view as the most difficult path possible: LAC - DEN - MIN - BOS
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 08:23 AM)Smitty Wrote: If the Mavs want to win it all, they could have what I view as the most difficult path possible: LAC - DEN - MIN - BOS

They had the most difficult path the last time they won a championship. Steel sharpens steel.
[-] The following 5 users Like MFFL's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, michaeltex, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 08:30 AM)MFFL Wrote: They had the most difficult path the last time they won a championship. Steel sharpens steel.

Isn't the phrase "iron sharpens iron?" Or does the phrase exist in multiple forms? Not being nitpicky, just curious.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 08:48 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Isn't the phrase "iron sharpens iron?" Or does the phrase exist in multiple forms? Not being nitpicky, just curious.

Running the question past one of my nerdie grandsons, I learned that the phrase "iron sharpens iron" is Biblical, from the Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 27, verse 17, written sometime between 1015 and 975 BC.  My thinking that steel was developed much later also proved wrong as evidently the Turks were making steel as early as 1300 BC.  But, the reportedly wise Solomon, when he wasn't involved with his 600 wives, came up with "iron sharpens iron" phrase. (My question would be: Is a man who takes 600 wives really that wise?)
[-] The following 6 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • fifteenth, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, omahen, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
@noahweber00
Kyrie Irving on Luka Doncic’s MVP case:

“We all knew how special this year was going to be…(Luka was) really being more vocal, challenging his teammates, challenging me and doing it in his own way and I think that’s the true sign of an MVP…His stats speak for themselves…Me as a brother of his, I have the upmost love and support to give him during this time because I want to see him win MVP…The most important thing he wants to do is win and he’s always put that first….”

https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1...2926359793
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 07:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVS2Lxw1qo

NBA Unplugged with Kevin Hart. (27 min video) Dirk, Brunson, interviews.

My favorite moment in the Dirk interview:

@LegionHoops
Mark Cuban on who’s better between Luka and Dirk Nowitzki: “No disrespect to Dirk… but Dirk will be the first one to tell you Luka is better.”

Dirk’s response: “The good thing is Mark doesn’t know anything about basketball.”

Of course Dirk quickly says "kidding" and agrees with Mark. Dirk is funny as hell man.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, Ghost of Podkolzin, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, Smitty
Like Reply
Dirk is too nice.

I’d be like how many championship banners are hanging up there. Probably doesn’t want to out Luka in a weird situation.
Like Reply

In the FWIW column...

Wasn't Milwaukee's evolution into a strong defensive team initiated during Kidd's tenure? 2016-17 MKE was 16th defensively. 2017-18 18th, 2018-19 1st, 1019-20 1st.

Kidd was realeased MKE in January 2018, but you could argue he laid the foundation in personnel and culture that Budenholtz capitalized on to turn MKE into a defensive juggernaut.

Maybe this time he gets to reap the rewards in person instead of seeing a successor get the praise. Also, his time on the bench in LA helped him mature as a head coach. Getting Luka, Kyrie and others to buy in long enough to understand how key defense is to team success has been critical to getting the ball rolling. I think that mindset will be mostly self-sustaining moving forward.
[-] The following 5 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 08:30 AM)MFFL Wrote: They had the most difficult path the last time they won a championship. Steel sharpens steel.

2010-11 Dal finished 57-25, same as defending champion LALs, but in 3rd place behind SAS and LAL.

Still disrespected, a lot of "experts" touted DAL as the team most others wanted to play in the playoffs.

DAL beat POR 4-2 after withstanding a back-from-the-dead moment from Brandon Roy in Game 3 where he exploded for 24 points (9-13).

DAL swept the LAL 4-0 frustrating them enough that MWP and Bynum drew ejections.

OKC was the new favorite, but DAL took them out 4-1, no sweat.

We all know how it ended in Miami.

My biggest disappointment is that Cuban, trying to be the smartest guy in the room, let the team dissipate. Would have been fun to experience a season defending the title and not just conceding.
[-] The following 5 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • F Gump, fifteenth, From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 10:58 AM)michaeltex Wrote: 2010-11 Dal finished 57-25, same as defending champion LALs, but in 3rd place behind SAS and LAL.

Still disrespected, a lot of "experts" touted DAL as the team most others wanted to play in the playoffs.

DAL beat POR 4-2 after withstanding a back-from-the-dead moment from Brandon Roy in Game 3 where he exploded for 24 points (9-13).

DAL swept the LAL 4-0 frustrating them enough that MWP and Bynum drew ejections.

OKC was the new favorite, but DAL took them out 4-1, no sweat.

We all know how it ended in Miami.

My biggest disappointment is that Cuban, trying to be the smartest guy in the room, let the team dissipate. Would have been fun to experience a season defending the title and not just conceding.

[Image: uh1gw96px5x41.jpg?auto=webp&s=adbd03bda3...7a8f0054c3]

Big Grin
Like Reply
When do we dust off the Season Record Predictions and see how people did?
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 09:10 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Running the question past one of my nerdie grandsons, I learned that the phrase "iron sharpens iron" is Biblical, from the Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 27, verse 17, written sometime between 1015 and 975 BC.  My thinking that steel was developed much later also proved wrong as evidently the Turks were making steel as early as 1300 BC.  But, the reportedly wise Solomon, when he wasn't involved with his 600 wives, came up with "iron sharpens iron" phrase. (My question would be: Is a man who takes 600 wives really that wise?)

That's where I know the phrase, WAB! Love me some Bible. The deal is Solomon started out strong and wise but later descended into the kingly habits of giving all his attention to money and women.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 11:27 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: When do we dust off the Season Record Predictions and see how people did?

I cannot wait to eat ALLLLLL the crow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 10:58 AM)michaeltex Wrote: My biggest disappointment is that Cuban, trying to be the smartest guy in the room, let the team dissipate. Would have been fun to experience a season defending the title and not just conceding.

I still get triggered by this.  Angry

I think I need counseling!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 11:27 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: When do we dust off the Season Record Predictions and see how people did?

well they looked like a pretty mediocre 7-8 seed until the trades
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 11:59 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: well they looked like a pretty mediocre 7-8 seed until the trades

I looked back at the old threads to find a prediction thread and couldn't find it.  Confused
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply