Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(04-06-2024, 07:45 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kyrie won’t get to 65 games so he is ineligible for all nba, but I wonder if he would be getting pub for all nba if he had played 65 games?  Especially with his recent stretch.  Or would a certain group of national media hold his past troubles against him and not vote for him for that?  There are a lot of deserving guys for all nba and guys who deserve it will be left off.  I just wonder if Kyrie deserved a spot if he played 65.

As you mentioned there are a lot of guys that are in the conversation for one of the six guard spots. Luka is going to make 1st team all NBA again and that hurts Kyrie's case. Up against players on teams with a better record or the best players on teams without another all-NBA caliber player.

For the guard spots I have...

1st SGA/Luka
2nd Brunson/Edwards
3rd Booker vs Fox vs Curry vs Maxey vs Lillard (Kyrie has a solid case)
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 07:45 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kyrie won’t get to 65 games so he is ineligible for all nba, but I wonder if he would be getting pub for all nba if he had played 65 games?  Especially with his recent stretch.  Or would a certain group of national media hold his past troubles against him and not vote for him for that?  There are a lot of deserving guys for all nba and guys who deserve it will be left off.  I just wonder if Kyrie deserved a spot if he played 65.

No I don't think Kyrie would get any recognition from the national media. He's burnt all the bridges in every major market. New York hates him cause he refused to sign with them in 2019. Brooklyn hates him cause of everything that happened there. Boston hates him for the same reasons to be honest. Lakers hate him because he didn't do everything in his power to help Lebron. 

In short, the national media has every reason to keep Kyrie down. They have very little to gain to prop him up. He's been hovering as a 50/40/90 guy this entire season as a 6'2 guard. That is insane. He's barely gotten any media buzz as is.

But i don't think he cares much for it anyways. Of course he would like recognition but I think Kyrie is perfectly happy being left alone. He deserves all NBA this season though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-04-2024, 09:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sucks for the Mavs that their best interior defender won’t be able to play for a while, but the silver lining is that all of a sudden that pick swap for Gafford makes a lot more sense. I sure am glad they have him right about now, and to be honest, I don’t think they were going to be able to play both centers very much in the playoffs, anyway. Really think Kleber is going to finish games.
This is where my focus will be when we get to the playoffs. Will Gafford (or Lively) be played off the court? Before the year i would have said yes it is likely. At this point I’m not sure. 

I do believe that if we are able to effectively use both we will make a long run. It’s so devastating for other teams when we can take total control of the paint. 

The times that bigs really get played off the floor historically has been against the elite small ball teams like the Warriors or Mavs from 2 years ago. Potentially the clippers this year. Last nights game Gafford destroyed them. I don’t see how any plan from GS could have played him off the court. It takes almost perfect play from small ball to win these days
Like Reply
https://clutchpoints.com/mavericks-news-...s-warriors

Kyrie on his battles with Steph Curry.
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 10:04 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: This is where my focus will be when we get to the playoffs. Will Gafford (or Lively) be played off the court? Before the year i would have said yes it is likely. At this point I’m not sure. 

I do believe that if we are able to effectively use both we will make a long run. It’s so devastating for other teams when we can take total control of the paint. 

The times that bigs really get played off the floor historically has been against the elite small ball teams like the Warriors or Mavs from 2 years ago. Potentially the clippers this year. Last nights game Gafford destroyed them. I don’t see how any plan from GS could have played him off the court. It takes almost perfect play from small ball to win these days

Good answer!

Last night Gaff repeatedly switched onto CP and (less frequently) Steph on the perimeter. He held his own. Because of this, I thought it was Gaff’s best game as a Mav. He and PJ both. I absolutely LOVE that they’re getting their feet wet in this no-whistle, playoff-like environment too. If this team can get healthy, watch out!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-12-2024, 09:15 PM)Smitty Wrote: It’s not popular to defend Kidd on here. Believe me, I’ve criticized him plenty. But his two stars are poor defenders. His best defender, Maxi, has missed 37 games of a possible 65. Second best defender, Exum, has missed 26 games.

This team has shown that they can play excellent defense and they’ve shown the exact opposite, in back to back weeks, even game to game. And that’s honestly what I expect when nobody on the team has played together all season.

The Mavs and Grizzlies are the only teams in the West that don’t have a 5 man lineup that’s played 100+ minutes together. The top 4 in the West average 640 minutes played for their top 5-man lineups. The Mavs - 88 minutes.

Defense in the NBA regular season seems optional these days but to just be average you need effort, availability and continuity. Effort will always be an issue with a Luka led team. Availability hasn’t been the case this year and continuity comes with time.

The scheme obviously has flaws and to me it looks like they’re working through those things. Some games it looks good and others the communication and effort isn’t there. I watched the Celtics defense against the Mavs and it was a joke. Of course the Mavs couldn’t make anything but they’re supposed to be the best of the best and they looked like a G league team on the defensive end that night.

Hopefully they get it figured out because if they can just be average consistently, their offense is good enough to be dangerous.

Good job Kidd. 

I was responding to Hero here, who didn’t like Kidd implementing a new defensive scheme mid-season. I bash the head coach plenty. Want to give credit where credit is due.

Go Mavs!
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • SleepingHero, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 08:48 AM)Smitty Wrote: Good job Kidd. 

I was responding to Hero here, who didn’t like Kidd implementing a new defensive scheme mid-season. I bash the head coach plenty. Want to give credit where credit is due.

Go Mavs!

So...we implemented a new defensive system?  Mid-season?
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 09:07 AM)youzigizag Wrote: So...we implemented a new defensive system?  Mid-season?

No - not really, I can’t remember the report that Hero was referencing but it wasn’t kind to Kidd.
Like Reply
https://nypost.com/2024/04/07/sports/net...time-ever/

DFS plays in front of his father for the first time.
[-] The following 5 users Like HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • fifteenth, Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 09:07 AM)youzigizag Wrote: So...we implemented a new defensive system?  Mid-season?

Kidd made a comment during the stretch where the Mavs lost 5 of 6 saying they're implementing a new defensive scheme and everyone is learning and will get better.

The article was lambasting Kidd for not having the team ready and just criticized him and the mavs for general uninspired play.

At the end of the day, gotta give credit where it's due though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/5397824/2024/04/...s-rockets/

Kyrie and Luka even leave their teammates starstruck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nbaofficial/status/1...YIEmq9ss1A

Luka Dončić’s (DAL) technical foul at 0:01 of the 1st quarter on 4/7/24 (vs. HOU) has been rescinded upon league office review.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
[Image: GKqum6PWkAA0Epu?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 03:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/nbaofficial/status/1...YIEmq9ss1A

Luka Dončić’s (DAL) technical foul at 0:01 of the 1st quarter on 4/7/24 (vs. HOU) has been rescinded upon league office review.

Good.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 12:17 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://theathletic.com/5397824/2024/04/...s-rockets/

Kyrie and Luka even leave their teammates starstruck.

Cato saying nice things is certainly weird reading
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 03:35 PM)MFFL Wrote: Cato saying nice things is certainly weird reading

Surprised that I've barely heard anything from Cato what has felt like all season. He's normally one of the more negative guys on the Mavs  anyways. His entire schtick is "I've never been a fan of then Mavs, I was just assigned to cover them, so I must be impartial" is tiring.

I don't find it surprising that basically all of his scoops and insider stories ended the day Donnie and Bobby V were ousted.
Like Reply
Looks like we're going to give the 25th pick to the Knicks
scary how close we were to giving them the 11th last year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 04:10 PM)Jym Wrote: Looks like we're going to give the 25th pick to the Knicks
scary how close we were to giving them the 11th last year.

What a great point! Playing with fire, we were.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 03:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/nbaofficial/status/1...YIEmq9ss1A

Then we shouldn’t have had to play overtime!  Good thing we won.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 05:28 PM)rocky164 Wrote: Then we shouldn’t have had to play overtime!  Good thing we won.

Yeah had we lost that game by 1 point I would've been furious.

That tall bald headed ref always seems to give Luka the softest techs
Like Reply