Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-28-2024, 05:49 PM)The Jom Wrote: Dear THJ Haters,

Can you imagine Prime Dirk playing on a team this deep, with 2 athletic centers, and a second star like Kyrie, but finishing 8th in the playoff standings? It’s time to lay the blame at Luka’s feet. It’s not the fault of some guy off the bench.

Mavs second star missed more than 20 games (out of less than 60 total) and the second athletic centre is here for 5 or so games now. Based on this facts you might think again about correlation between Mavs standings and how much of it is on Luka. One could claim Mavs score would be far worse if Luka wouldn't carry the team giving an MVP level performances during those tough stretches,
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • BobyM, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-29-2024, 02:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brad Townsend (@townbrad)
A few nights ago I asked Jason Kidd whether the Mavs need a dependable third scorer. He indicated that night that a group approach would be OK, waiting for the hot hand each night.

Now? "I would make it a lot easier if we have a third scorer. I think P.J. is trending that way."

Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
"I feel like I'm getting more comfortable each and every game." - P.J. Washington

I really hope this is the way to go. Not a fan of THJ shot selection looking to chuck every ball he gets in those minutes one of Luka and Kyrie are not on court. Mavs could and should be playing a much more team friendly offense in those minutes. And also diversify offense a bit, not just depend on stars and three point shooting

I agree with the ISO strategy when both are on the court. The goal of this would be to either efficiently score in ISO situations (Luka and Kyrie can efficiently cook most of defenders) or force the opponent to double the star (probably Luka), which should make Mavs offense far easier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
A nice Omax article.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketbal...ce=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=SportsBasketball&utm_content=omaxkyrie
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • ballsrchr, Chicagojk, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-29-2024, 11:04 AM)Smitty Wrote: A nice Omax article.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketbal...ce=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=SportsBasketball&utm_content=omaxkyrie
Great article. Good that Kyrie and Omax are BFF’s. Kyrie gonna turn him into a star for us
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
@libaanstar1
NBA star Kyrie Irving has taken Montreal’s Olivier-Maxence Prosper under his wing during his rookie year.

From taking his family out to lunch, to sitting next to him on team flights, they’ve built a bond.

“He’s going to be a special player one day.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-29-2024, 11:04 AM)Smitty Wrote: A nice Omax article.

Thanks for posting.  Really nice to see how Omax is taking things and how Kyrie is being a mentor to him.   Maybe not the biggest key but if Josh, Jaden and Omax all develop things are a lot easier here moving forward.   Josh is a few steps ahead of both Jaden and Omax.  You could argue that Omax may be the most important of the three.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
Need to start trying Luka Irving PJ Kleber and Lively this way Gafford is the clear backup for Lively and we have a stretch player at all positions and we need to start encouraging Lively to shoot the three more. With Kleber at the PF we can look at several advantages existing that do not exist when using PJ as a PF Instead of SF. Eventually PJ will get back to being a good 3 point shooter that is a given, He has been a good 3 point shooter before and it may start to happen faster if he plays at the 3 and gets a lot of open looks. Kleber can hit 3's and I know that Lively could also develop into a decent enough 3 point shooter and with 5 3 point shooters and that musch size on the court with great overall defense we will see a better lineup that can win more games. THJ Green DJJ Gafford and Exum is there to use off the bench and Hardy can be penciled in as the replacement for THJ when he is crap which is to often for me. Hardy Exum Green DJJ Gafford is a strong defensive bench that can run time off the clock when you are resting starters.
Like Reply
(02-29-2024, 11:54 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Great article. Good that Kyrie and Omax are BFF’s. Kyrie gonna turn him into a star for us

It's great to see Kyrie not merely behaving but accepting a leadership role and mentoring a rookie.  Kyrie has been amazing when he's on the court but is also giving us the veteran leadership we need as Luka is simply too young for that role.  

The Kyrie acquisition is becoming the greatest non-draft night trade in Mavericks history.  My hope is that Kyrie will finish out his career here in Dallas.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-01-2024, 07:41 AM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Need to start trying Luka Irving PJ Kleber and Lively this way Gafford is the clear backup for Lively and we have a stretch player at all positions and we need to start encouraging Lively to shoot the three more. With Kleber at the PF we can look at several advantages existing that do not exist when using PJ as a PF Instead of SF. Eventually PJ will get back to being a good 3 point shooter that is a given, He has been a good 3 point shooter before and it may start to happen faster if he plays at the 3 and gets a lot of open looks. Kleber can hit 3's and I know that Lively could also develop into a decent enough 3 point shooter and with 5 3 point shooters and that musch size on the court with great overall defense we will see a better lineup that can win more games. THJ Green DJJ Gafford and Exum is there to use off the bench and Hardy can be penciled in as the replacement for THJ when he is crap which is to often for me. Hardy Exum Green DJJ Gafford is a strong defensive bench that can run time off the clock when you are resting starters.

Im petrified at the thought of playing Kleber more than 20 mins a night. Need him so badly for playoffs that we can't afford to risk his body breaking down.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
The OMax pump has begun.

Could there be a scenario where Mavs got more interest than they expected for OMax at deadline...and maybe Mavs have decided based on G-League and practice that he is too raw and they have decided that waiting 2 years for Olivia is too long and its in Mavs best interest to pump his value and use him in a trade for that final piece this summer or next TDL?

This is mostly coming from a Luka clock standpoint and the addition of our TDL pieces.

I havent read the article/convo maybe it comes across more sincere than a pump based on the thread clippings.
Like Reply
Speaking of OMax pump,

I wonder how Omax would fare in the starting lineup over Josh. Not that Josh has been bad, he's been fantastic, but I'm really curious how he'd look. First 3-5 minutes of the 1st and 2nd quarter and see what happens. It's not like his defense has been bad. His offense is the issue but if have to imagine he'd get some better looks next to Kyrie and Luka vs. Hardy and AJ Lawson.
Like Reply
@kyriemavs
The Mavs have a defensive rating of of 116.9 this season (22nd in the NBA)

The Mavs defensive rating without Tim Hardaway is 113.86 (would be 12th in the NBA)

The Mavs have an offensive rating of 117.6 (7th in the NBA)

The Mavs offensive rating without Tim Hardaway is 117.25 (Same as the Nuggets in 12th)

The Mavs net rating this year is .7 (16th in the NBA)

The Mavs net rating without THJ is 3.39. (Tied for 10th in the NBA)
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
So next 5 are pretty important to get back on track. I am thinking they need to go 4-1. Each has their unique challenges.

Sunday at home against the Sixers. Dallas should take care of business. First home game after a road trip can be tricky though. Early game.

Tuesday at home against Pacers. Dallas was beat pretty good last week by the Pacers. I hope to get even.

Thursday at home against the Heat. Heat are playing better. If we win the first two, this would be a nice game to get.

Saturday at Pistons. Should be a W. I am sure we won't get an A+ game though against the lowly Pistons. You remember that loss last year against Detroit? Ouch

Monday at the Bulls. Should also be a W.

5 games where Dallas should be favored, but also a chance to lose them especially games 2 and 3. A 4-1 run will be nice heading into a tough stretch after.
Like Reply
Keep grinding young buck

https://x.com/texaslegends/status/176405...14859?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 05:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So next 5 are pretty important to get back on track.  I am thinking they need to go 4-1.  Each has their unique challenges.

Sunday at home against the Sixers.  Dallas should take care of business.  First home game after a road trip can be tricky though.  Early game.

Tuesday at home against Pacers.  Dallas was beat pretty good last week by the Pacers.  I hope to get even.

Thursday at home against the Heat.  Heat are playing better.  If we win the first two, this would be a nice game to get.

Saturday at Pistons.  Should be a W.  I am sure we won't get an A+ game though against the lowly Pistons.  You remember that loss last year against Detroit?  Ouch

Monday at the Bulls.  Should also be a W. 

5 games where Dallas should be favored, but also a chance to lose them especially games 2 and 3.    A 4-1 run will be nice heading into a tough stretch after.

I'm not sure they have to go 4-1, but anything worse than 3-2 would be cause for significant concern.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Omax shot 9-10 last night. Williams the other two way went for over 40.

https://youtu.be/KHpq-OOHneA?si=OCiMSX4RT1sG_8Q0
Like Reply
@surilytics
I’m not that good at lip reading so I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that Luka just screamed “vadi ga van” to the bench Translated as “take him out”.

THJ's days here are numbered
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 01:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Speaking of OMax pump,

I wonder how Omax would fare in the starting lineup over Josh. Not that Josh has been bad, he's been fantastic, but I'm really curious how he'd look. First 3-5 minutes of the 1st and 2nd quarter and see what happens. It's not like his defense has been bad. His offense is the issue but if have to imagine he'd get some better looks next to Kyrie and Luka vs. Hardy and AJ Lawson.

I'm trying to figure out when Josh has been fantastic?  He'll have one good game followed by three bad ones, when you think he's not even on the floor. Omax isn't ready, so after what DJJ did today, he should get the nod over both of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(03-03-2024, 10:58 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I'm trying to figure out when Josh has been fantastic?  He'll have one good game followed by three bad ones, when you think he's not even on the floor. Omax isn't ready, so after what DJJ did today, he should get the nod over both of them.

What are you expecting from Green?

He's been averaging close to 12 points per game on 56/48/93 splits since January. 

He's been more aggressive than ever. He isn't an all NBA level defender but he's certainly not bad.

If you're looking at him solving the 3rd scorer issue he won't be it. And I'm honestly starting to come to the conclusion that the lack of 3rd scorer is due to system, not talent. Kidds game plan is one dimensional and bad.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 12:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: What are you expecting from Green?

He's been averaging close to 12 points per game on 56/48/93 splits since January. 

He's been more aggressive than ever. He isn't an all NBA level defender but he's certainly not bad.

If you're looking at him solving the 3rd scorer issue he won't be it. And I'm honestly starting to come to the conclusion that the lack of 3rd scorer is due to system, not talent. Kidds game plan is one dimensional and bad.

I expect more from a 4 year player. He's been with the team long enough to know the plays and the schemes. I admit Kidd may not be the best coach for him, but he still should be showing more consistency in his play. But that's just me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply