Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
Omax highlights. 4 for 5 from 3.

I have no idea how to evaluate G league games. I didn't see last night, but I checked out a quarter or so some of the previous games. Got to be honest, when I watch Omax leaves me wanting more. I have no idea what is transferable to real NBA games.

He is either really tentative or still not sure of the sets. Seems to be thinking a lot. Regardless good stats last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prt96gzWf9I
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1762848378764116379

Luka's last 15 games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
When you have Mark Followill publicly complaining about officiating on Twitter I think you've probably made some mistakes. He is never vocal about that stuff.
Like Reply
Sounds like Exum can go tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
@analyticsGOAT

If you want to be more shell-shocked, from the 7:33 mark of the 3rd qtr until the end of the game, these are the minutes played by our SGs/SFs:

17:22 - THJ
16:37 - Kyrie
7:07 - Green
4:53 - DJJ
0:00 - Hardy

Luka, our star player, played 17:44, to put it into perspective.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 02:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @analyticsGOAT

If you want to be more shell-shocked, from the 7:33 mark of the 3rd qtr until the end of the game, these are the minutes played by our SGs/SFs:

Inexcusable.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3960...arate-pack

Fascinating that, despite a couple of losses, ESPN has the Mavs moving fro
 11th to 10th in their power rankings.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 03:25 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3960...arate-pack

Fascinating that, despite a couple of losses, ESPN has the Mavs moving fro
 11th to 10th in their power rankings.

Because they’re playing well! I think the Indiana loss was bad, but this loss was good!
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 02:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @analyticsGOAT

I think what this tells us is that right or wrong, the Mavs’ strategists, including Kidd, other coaches and probably Luka/Kyrie, believe that the MOST important need down the stretch for the swingman spot is to hold a defender at the 3-point line, presumably to provide space for the other players. Green has been shooting really well this year, but he is just not feared like Hardaway as a shooter from all over the court. A few corner 3’s just isn’t the same. 

I think people should stop wishing for Hardaway to go away and start wishing for him to play well again, like he has all season until the past couple of weeks. The Mavericks are screaming at the top of their lungs that they believe they need him on the floor. That’s not because their idiots.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Mapka, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 04:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think what this tells us is that right or wrong, the Mavs’ strategists, including Kidd, other coaches and probably Luka/Kyrie, believe that the MOST important need down the stretch for the swingman spot is to hold a defender at the 3-point line, presumably to provide space for the other players. Green has been shooting really well this year, but he is just not feared like Hardaway as a shooter from all over the court. A few corner 3’s just isn’t the same. 

I think people should stop wishing for Hardaway to go away and start washing for him to play well again, like he has all season until the past couple of weeks. The Mavericks are screaming at the top of their lungs that they believe they need him on the floor. That’s not because their idiots.

Like you, I used to defend Tim. He was clearly needed on this team at times and has even been the reason they've won some games over the years. But even in his best statistical season as a Mav, he's a massive negative on the court. 

The Mavs do not have to rely on his streaky shooting and terrible defense anymore. His minutes have been getting cut with every healthy body that returns, so clearly the coaching staff notices what 99% of Mavs nation does.

I'd rather have the 23 year old kid closing games than 31 year old Hardaway, who likely won't be wearing a Mavs uniform 12 month from now.
Like Reply
The issue at present is there is a choice between the lesser of 2 evils.
DJJ vs THJ. THJ probably provides better ceiling results in theory, while DJJ has a lower ceiling overall with a higher floor defensively, but is worrisome when a bucket is necessary.
THJ can hit some shots on occasion and can do a couple of things defensively better than Christian Wood. But his advantage is theoretical at this point. Maybe, Exum's return allows a balanced player to offset the minutes that DJJ provides. My fear is that DJJ is viewed as a 3 and Exum is the PG leaving all the minutes for THJ behind the 2nd guard of KI/Luka...

I just do not feel comfortable that Kidd will completely cut THJ's minutes even if the rotation availability calls for it.
[-] The following 2 users Like SkenfromLMF's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 04:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think what this tells us is that right or wrong, the Mavs’ strategists, including Kidd, other coaches and probably Luka/Kyrie, believe that the MOST important need down the stretch for the swingman spot is to hold a defender at the 3-point line, presumably to provide space for the other players. Green has been shooting really well this year, but he is just not feared like Hardaway as a shooter from all over the court. A few corner 3’s just isn’t the same. 

I think people should stop wishing for Hardaway to go away and start washing for him to play well again, like he has all season until the past couple of weeks. The Mavericks are screaming at the top of their lungs that they believe they need him on the floor. That’s not because their idiots.

I need to see data on if I agree with this or not.

Im not that big a fan of allowing a guy to shoot shots that make me want to turn the tv off in an entertainment business.  If there is proof that Tim creates gravity early in games and then the Mavs use that gravity to get Luka space late in games...and that tactics has shown success...I would like to see that data.   If there is proof that tactic has won Mavs numerous late, close games...I would be interested in seeing it.

Im aware the dude creates space for Luka.   I need to see proof where its a close game late, Mavs sub in Tim...and Mavs win the game because Luka uses Tim's gravity to score a few easy buckets with the space provided.   I need to see quite a few of these games to be on board.

I just dont think Tim's gravity is that much of a deciding factor that you dont look elsewhere.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 04:38 PM)Smitty Wrote: Like you, I used to defend Tim. He was clearly needed on this team at times and has even been the reason they've won some games over the years. But even in his best statistical season as a Mav, he's a massive negative on the court. 

The Mavs do not have to rely on his streaky shooting and terrible defense anymore. His minutes have been getting cut with every healthy body that returns, so clearly the coaching staff notices what 99% of Mavs nation does.

I'd rather have the 23 year old kid closing games than 31 year old Hardaway, who likely won't be wearing a Mavs uniform 12 month from now.

I don’t think they care so much about hitting shots/missing shots. I think they want a shooter who will hold their defender so that the ball doesn’t get to them in the first place. That makes it easier to create an advantage for everyone else. Sure, the person has to be able to knock shots down if/when things come to that, but again, as frustrated as folks are with him, THJ is the best threat of doing that from the highest number of places around the court on the whole mavericks roster. It’s just the truth.

(02-28-2024, 05:09 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I just do not feel comfortable that Kidd will completely cut THJ's minutes even if the rotation availability calls for it.

I agree, and I think we’re actually pretty far away from the rotation availability calling for it.
Like Reply
Dear THJ Haters,

Can you imagine Prime Dirk playing on a team this deep, with 2 athletic centers, and a second star like Kyrie, but finishing 8th in the playoff standings? It’s time to lay the blame at Luka’s feet. It’s not the fault of some guy off the bench.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 05:49 PM)The Jom Wrote: Dear THJ Haters,

Can you imagine Prime Dirk playing on a team this deep, with 2 athletic centers, and a second star like Kyrie, but finishing 8th in the playoff standings? It’s time to lay the blame at Luka’s feet. It’s not the fault of some guy off the bench.

Luka pretty much single handed brought us back in that game last night. Hard to fault him. He’s even playing decent defense. We have had tons of injuries, are incorporating new players on the fly, and have a lower tier coach.

Kidd leaving THJ on Donovan Mitchell one on one with Josh on the bench for most of the 4th was unconscionable. A lot of things had to go wrong for us to lose that game (officiating being a prime factor) but we had them on the ropes and THJ gave up like 10 straight pints to Mitchell. Haven’t checked the game log but that’s how I remember it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
No argument about Luka being great. But maybe he has something to do with the refs. Just maybe.
Like Reply
"Lively is played off the floor" "Lively has trouble on the perimeter"

I agree on Gafford. He certainly has more problems on the perimeter. Lively is nothing like Gafford tho. In terms of mobility he is way closer to Kleber.

Starters had a 93.5 DefRtg over the last 2 games. Thats roughly 10 pts better on defense than the league leading Wolves Rolleyes

Overall starters are sitting at +42 net. And they played a few good teams now. Rebounds with Kleber vs. with Lively as a 5 looking as expected. Neither Indy nor Cavs couldn't score on the Mavs starters. Indy had a plethora of TOs. Is Kidd blind?

Not Lively fault that entire ship sinks like the titanic if you replace Green with Tim. Lively played off the floor is morse code for Luka/THJ in the game TOGETHER. Kleber doesn't fix the mess either.

[Image: Zvz3XMq.png]

[Image: tfFTAaP.png]
team Rebounding + overall raw +/-

Kidd coaching vs. Rick coaching 2 games

[Image: GhTbiPH.png]

Spot the difference.
[-] The following 4 users Like sefant's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
I have to assume Lively having a broken nose has a lot to do with his reduced minutes of late. Several seem to blame Kidd for that. But I suspect it’s not a basketball decision.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://x.com/SloHoopsFan/status/1763056...87644?s=20

A must watch imo:

(@SloHoopsFan)
Kyrie on Luka for NBA TV: “What gets overshadowed for me and Luka specifically is how good of a teammates we are on and off the floor. […] I have a ton of respect for him, he has a ton of respect for me.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
  • WillE
Like Reply
Brad Townsend (@townbrad)
A few nights ago I asked Jason Kidd whether the Mavs need a dependable third scorer. He indicated that night that a group approach would be OK, waiting for the hot hand each night.

Now? "I would make it a lot easier if we have a third scorer. I think P.J. is trending that way."

Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
"I feel like I'm getting more comfortable each and every game." - P.J. Washington
  • Smitty
Like Reply