Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-09-2024, 11:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brunson only left because Mark Cuban refused to pay up. That is the only reason. If Cubes ponied up the full max, Brunson would still be here. 

I was one of the few calling for a full 5 year/$175 mil offer at the time. Feels like an underpay now. But it probably wouldn't have taken that much to keep him
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 12:02 AM)Jym Wrote: I was one of the few calling for a full 5 year/$175 mil offer at the time. Feels like an underpay now. But it probably wouldn't have taken that much to keep him

I was calling for way less than what NYK even offered. I was 100% wrong and Brunson proved he's worth the big bucks. Good for him.

I'm still sick and tired of talking about him and I hope the Knicks never amount to anything.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • MFFL, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 11:57 PM)Smitty Wrote: . . . OKC owns FOUR picks in this years draft that is reportedly one of the worst drafts in recent history. They weren’t using all of them. It was nothing for them to send one out for the lottery ticket of being able to swap with the Mavs 4 years from now. . . .

I’m so unimpressed with Presti and his pick hoarding. Dude hasn’t ever won anything. Just gets credit for his days as Pop’s assistant. The guy has created such a glut of picks that he literally gave us an immediate one for a swap down the road. Lotto picks are valuable. Non lotto picks? Worth way less than a young player with upside on a good contract.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 4 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, Hypermav, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 11:49 PM)MFFL Wrote: I don't know why everyone is so ready to write off Kyrie. He's 31 (about to turn 32) but players play a lot longer now and at a very high level. He might not be amazing anymore in 4 years but he'll still be a nice weapon. And his next contract will reflect that.

And why would Luka want to leave if one of the kids becomes a hit? What if Lively levels up and becomes the next Bam? O-Max is going to start showing us stuff as early as next year - what if he becomes the next Siakam? Suppose Hardy makes a leap? What if two kids become a hit? Or all 3? Do you really think Luka would leave them behind?

What's the old saying, IF my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle. You can't trust or believe on IF's.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 12:02 AM)Jym Wrote: I was one of the few calling for a full 5 year/$175 mil offer at the time. Feels like an underpay now. But it probably wouldn't have taken that much to keep him

But if he would have stayed,  I don't think he develops into the player he is now, with Luka here. Going to NY was the best move he made.
Like Reply
Mojey (@MojeyPersonal)
Josh Green in the clutch

60% from the field
43% from 3

Tim hardaway Jr in the clutch

27% from the field
26% from 3

Tim can never play for us In the clutch detriment to the team awful player in clutch scenarios

To all my THJ faithful's, I'm posting this as a positive note for Green, not to critique THJ.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Ok fuys I need to ask, since many of you are sure that PJ Washington is a starting caliber player, what are you guys seeing that I am not?
Like Reply
This team continues to have a homecourt problem.

We are 14-13 at home, which doesn´t sound that bad, until you realize it is the 20th best home record, tied in losses with the Raptors/Warriors behind us.

On the other hand we are only 1.5 games behind the best road records in the league.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 02:34 AM)juanc Wrote: Ok fuys I need to ask, since many of you are sure that PJ Washington is a starting caliber player, what are you guys seeing that I am not?

Found Kidd's burner account
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 07:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, I have to stop checking in with people’s opinions of these trades. The guys from Dunc’d On are some of my favorites. They understand the cap, the rules, are comfortable dealing in advance stats, but also clearly watch pretty much every single NBA game that ever happens and so the they always have educated opinions about these players. They trashed the Mavs’ moves even more than others.

“Several more arrows going out of the quiver, with no championship-level starters coming in”

“They added two more seventh men to a team full of seventh men and paid multiple firsts to do it.”

“I guess maybe Gafford is an ok defender, but then again he is the center on the league’s worst defense. He can’t defend in the post and fouls way too much.”

“Washington is an offensive upgrade to Williams, but is he going to hit more of the standstill shots? Are they actually going to use the things that he can do better than Williams?”

“They now don’t control their pic for basically a four year block, and you have to imagine that at least one of those years will include a top 10 pick, unless they’re able to retain Luka for that entire time, which these moves make me less sure of.” (Other guy) “Agreed.”

On and on and on. I am getting thoroughly depressed listening to this stuff. The Lowe Post didn’t like the moves much, either.

I think we might’ve just witnessed the nail in the Luka Doncic era coffin.

We could flip Green + Washington + Gafford to the Bulls for Beal Lavine right now. Are the same experts going to wank themselves into oblivion over our big three?  Huh

Washington was averaging 14/5/1/0.5/0.3 before the trade for the only losing franchise he has ever known. Three years later he´s a two time All-Star. 

Sorry I got my numbers messed up. That was Lauri on the Bulls. The numbers were so similar, I got confused.  yeah yeah I also ignored the percentages

The real question is whether Kidd and his staff are up to the task. Maybe the Mavs are not the most talented talented team in the league, but if we had Spoelstra, I´d put my money down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Against some teams we could see a lineup of Luka Irving Lively Gafford and PJ. Defensively speaking that works for me a lot better than what I have seen mentioned. With that approach you are more balanced and can use Kleber as a 5 off the bench and play with any 4 of DJJ THJ Green Exum or Hardy. Maybe Dinwiddie if he signs here. that is a solid enough bench we can trade some pieces to get an upgrade at SF or even PF.

You still have Omax to groom into a PF/ SF plus with 2 second rounders we can add 1 or 2 centers in the draft to create even more size and depth since this year is loaded with bigs. Zach Edey is already moving up into the first round so he may be out of reach even if we combine both 2nds and a player. 7'4.25" 300 pounders that score 27.2 ppg and grab 13.7 rpg do not come along often. Though there is a guy in the 2nd round who is 7'2" that scores 21.4ppg and snags 13.8rpg showing up at 34 in the tankathon mocks and he is a freshman not a senior. Might need to start watching some Kentucky games.
Like Reply
It has been interesting reading the very different opinions about the trade with a lot of media members and people here who I like. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Obviously, Mavs can't afford to make a mistake. As a person who wanted Grant Williams this offseason, I don't think he is as bad as he was lately. Personally when I look at these support players I am always asking do these players let Luka be Luka. The more and more that I watched Grant (even when he hit his threes) I didn't think he was good enough at those small things where it would highlight Luka and Kyrie and let them be your stars. Not great rotation defender, not a good rebounder, really couldn't put pressure on the rim, had a lot of trouble guarding certain players, etc.

Washington fits my mold of what I am looking for as a power forward and also the type of athlete that fits how I want to play. The reviews of his game are mixed. The flashy plays are nice, but I am more interested in the boring, non stat stuff. I think he will be able to create and finish better than Grant, but probably be a lower three point shooter over time. The key for me is can he be an above average defender, a smart player who can play off stars, and be a solid rebounder. We will need to give him time to fit in, but I think we will have some of these answers relatively soon. Even if the next month or so there will be a lot of bumps.

Same thing for Gafford. Obviously, you hope he rim runs. He looks to have pretty decent hands. But the things he needs to do to allow Luka to be Luka is to make it a little bit harder for teams to score at the rim. He will have a lot of challengers with our perimeter defense. Offensive rebounds will also be key. If he can get 3-4 extra shots per game....along with several from Lively, those are the types of play I call winning on the edges. Small things like that add up. One thing I liked reading about Gafford is that he always plays hard per Washington fans. Having two uber athletic centers who play hard all the time is a nice thing to have. When you have a super star, if you can consistently win on the edges, I like our chances in a lot of games.

Just highlights, but fun watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRFCt8te4CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPG_7SFkOI
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 08:00 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It has been interesting reading the very different opinions about the trade with a lot of media members and people here who I like.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  Obviously, Mavs can't afford to make a mistake.  As a person who wanted Grant Williams this offseason, I don't think he is as bad as he was lately.  Personally when I look at these support players I am always asking do these players let Luka be Luka.    The more and more that I watched Grant (even when he hit his threes) I didn't think he was good enough at those small things where it would highlight Luka and Kyrie and let them be your stars.  Not great rotation defender, not a good rebounder, really couldn't put pressure on the rim, had a lot of trouble guarding certain players, etc. 

Washington fits my mold of what I am looking for as a power forward and also the type of athlete that fits how I want to play.  The reviews of his game are mixed.  The flashy plays are nice, but I am more interested in the boring, non stat stuff.  I think he will be able to create and finish better than Grant, but probably be a lower three point shooter over time.  The key for me is can he be an above average defender, a smart player who can play off stars, and be a solid rebounder.    We will need to give him time to fit in, but I think we will have some of these answers relatively soon.  Even if the next month or so there will be a lot of bumps.

Same thing for Gafford.  Obviously, you hope he rim runs.  He looks to have pretty decent hands.  But the things he needs to do to allow Luka to be Luka is to make it a little bit harder for teams to score at the rim.  He will have a lot of challengers with our perimeter defense.    Offensive rebounds will also be key.  If he can get 3-4 extra shots per game....along with several from Lively, those are the types of play I call winning on the edges.  Small things like that add up.  One thing I liked reading about Gafford is that he always plays hard per Washington fans.  Having two uber athletic centers who play hard all the time is a nice thing to have.  When you have a super star, if you can consistently win on the edges, I like our chances in a lot of games. 

Just highlights, but fun watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRFCt8te4CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPG_7SFkOI

Let me add, that poor Hornets announcer.  He sounds like he had way too much coffeee.  Ha.  Although I guess when you cover the Hornets there is not much to get excited about.
Like Reply
putting the cart way before the horse, but if Dinwiddie signs here and plays well what could we offer him to stay? Is it just depend on the exception we would have? Curious to see what type of contract he is going to demand next year.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 08:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: putting the cart way before the horse, but if Dinwiddie signs here and plays well what could we offer him to stay?  Is it just depend on the exception we would have?  Curious to see what type of contract he is going to demand next year.

Currently Mavs have ~$7M of the MLE to use next year so 2/14 or 3/21. Something in that neighborhood.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 02:34 AM)juanc Wrote: Ok fuys I need to ask, since many of you are sure that PJ Washington is a starting caliber player, what are you guys seeing that I am not?

I mean...I not trying to be a frustrating poster here...

But SleepingHero mentioned guys that he thought would fail here but worked out and guys that he thought would work but didnt...

Very small sample size of players...but the common theme in the guys that worked out(Kyrie and College stud Lively)...is that they have talent, skill or both.

Nothing against you SleepingHero...but this is about basketball...to think that Kyrie would not work out is crazy talk to me.   They guy is a literal bball God...immensely skilled.   NBA starters need to have talent, skill or both...and size helps too. 

PJ Washington is a system fit guy...not a talented/starter guy on most teams.   So..Juan...Im with you on your assessment.   Since the simulation likes to make me look like a fool...I wouldnt be surprised if Luka makes PJ happy and PJ shows out here or works out.   

But...still think its going to be hard to win asking Luka to carry a bunch of system fit guys late in Playoffs.   We wont be able to go on cold shooting streaks at all.   With a spread out offense....getting offensive boards while all our guys are standing behind 3 will be hard to come by...and if we have an undersized system fit player the boards will be harder to come by on defense too.

I think the Mavs need a 20M+ level PF that hits 3's, defends decent and rebounds.   Id rather not go lite on PF.  Im hoping Washington has another gear that he was hiding because he didnt care about playing in Charlotte.   PJ does up our talent/skill level though...but at what cost and how much does he actually move the needle?   He doesnt seem to have glaring fundamental flaws...but doesnt seem to do much in Charlotte either.
Like Reply
Where can we watch the Mavs press conference this morning for Gafford and Washington?
Like Reply
PJ slots in as a SF for me. This is certainly dependent on his improving his 3 back to where he had it when he was still interested in being on CHA but it seems to me his 3 dropped of because his looks started to suffer when they lost their starting PG who was feeding him so those looks he gets with Luka will be evem better.

Gafford is a surprise because he was producing a special set of great numbers that few other centers in the league were producing. Victor Wembanyama, Rudy Gobert, Anthony Davis, Nic Claxton, and Walker Kessler, are the only players averaging at least two offensive rebounds and two blocks this season.
Like Reply
https://x.com/shamscharania/status/17563...75681?s=46

Took a bigger role over money I guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
That sucks. I was hoping he would return.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply