Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-09-2024, 07:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, I have to stop checking in with people’s opinions of these trades. The guys from Dunc’d On are some of my favorites. They understand the cap, the rules, are comfortable dealing in advance stats, but also clearly watch pretty much every single NBA game that ever happens and so the they always have educated opinions about these players. They trashed the Mavs’ moves even more than others.

“Several more arrows going out of the quiver, with no championship-level starters coming in”

“They added two more seventh men to a team full of seventh men and paid multiple firsts to do it.”

“I guess maybe Gafford is an ok defender, but then again he is the center on the league’s worst defense. He can’t defend in the post and fouls way too much.”

“Washington is an offensive upgrade to Williams, but is he going to hit more of the standstill shots? Are they actually going to use the things that he can do better than Williams?”

“They now don’t control their pic for basically a four year block, and you have to imagine that at least one of those years will include a top 10 pick, unless they’re able to retain Luka for that entire time, which these moves make me less sure of.” (Other guy) “Agreed.”

On and on and on. I am getting thoroughly depressed listening to this stuff. The Lowe Post didn’t like the moves much, either.

I think we might’ve just witnessed the nail in the Luka Doncic era coffin.

I think it’s called “confirmation bias”.

Ok, ok. Is it Fox News? Or MSNBC?
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 07:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, I have to stop checking in with people’s opinions of these trades. The guys from Dunc’d On are some of my favorites. They understand the cap, the rules, are comfortable dealing in advance stats, but also clearly watch pretty much every single NBA game that ever happens and so the they always have educated opinions about these players. They trashed the Mavs’ moves even more than others.

“Several more arrows going out of the quiver, with no championship-level starters coming in”

“They added two more seventh men to a team full of seventh men and paid multiple firsts to do it.”

“I guess maybe Gafford is an ok defender, but then again he is the center on the league’s worst defense. He can’t defend in the post and fouls way too much.”

“Washington is an offensive upgrade to Williams, but is he going to hit more of the standstill shots? Are they actually going to use the things that he can do better than Williams?”

“They now don’t control their pic for basically a four year block, and you have to imagine that at least one of those years will include a top 10 pick, unless they’re able to retain Luka for that entire time, which these moves make me less sure of.” (Other guy) “Agreed.”

On and on and on. I am getting thoroughly depressed listening to this stuff. The Lowe Post didn’t like the moves much, either.

Glad to find someone who agrees with me on the board.  It's been lonely standing against the PJ Washington trade.  

I like the Gafford deal a lot so I don't care what the podcasters say about that.

My issue with the Mavericks is greatly illustrated by the Christian Wood, Grant Williams and PJ Washington experiences.   Our organization never knows what it wants.  

Not long ago we traded for Christian Wood.  He was an athletic and very skilled big man.  He is a low IQ player though who doesn't always give great effort on defense.  He was very productive but made a lot of mistakes here.  The Mavericks determined he was the reason we finished in the lottery.  Not only did we not want him back but we blasted him publicly and absolutely destroyed his value in free agency.  

We then targeted one of the league's most intelligent and personally interesting players, Grant Williams.  He is super-extroverted and really funny.  We wanted someone who would be a vocal leader in the locker room and on defense.  Within a few months as a Maverick, we decided he talked too much and was annoying.  We didn't just trade him but we again alerted the media that he annoyed the coaches, the players and the organization.  

Now we've acquired PJ Washington.  He's another fairly athletic big with long arms who has some skills.  He's also lazy on defense and makes stupid mistakes.  He is not much different as a player than Christian Wood.  I don't expect it will end well this time either.  It's a constant spiral of acquisition, blame and turnover.  

The problem is that we include draft picks every time we have to acquire the new solution or jettision the latest problem.  

Our organization is still run by Mark Cuban, unfortunately.  The bad decisions and the constant turnover just keep coming.  As I said in another post, we're like the man who is on his 11th wife.  After a while, that man just needs to acknowledge that he's the problem.  

Mr. Cuban, if you're reading this....You are the problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
More sobering thoughts:

https://youtube.com/shorts/MnykWXIkt0E?s...rHXHi5dWDP
Like Reply
All these same pundits applauded the Grant Williams signing.

I’m also really sick of everyone saying we gave up multiple firsts, that’s not what happened.

It’s starting to feel a lot like this trade was more about getting rid of Grant Williams as opposed to acquiring PJ Washington and if it was really that bad then I’m glad they did something instead of falling into sunk cost fallacy. Look at how hard they tried to move Wood until they gave up and then the ultimate outcome.

It’s just been really weird to hear everyone acknowledge the team is better than putting big asterisks on it. If you lose Luka it’s going to be bad no matter what so be aggressive without losing flexibility and that’s what they did. This team is better and has way more assets than we did a year ago, draft picks aren’t the only thing in this league that has value it’s just that our roster has been so crappy we’ve forgotten that.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Jmaciscool, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 07:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: More sobering thoughts:

https://youtube.com/shorts/MnykWXIkt0E?s...rHXHi5dWDP

Removed by the uploader.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh, sure they will! It’s just that you and I see different strategies for how to deal with that. 

You seem to care about matching up with them, whereas I see an opportunity to punish them easily for even attempting to play some slow-footed, single-brain-cell dinosaur in a basketball game against my team of movers and shooters. 

Earlier this season, I claimed that I would not be scared one bit of playing the Minnesota Timberwolves in a seven game series. I am actually more frightened of that prospect now than I was before the trade deadline, because the economics of the mavericks roster indicate that they believe as you do, that you have to throw big players at KAT, Gobert and Reid. That seems silly to me, because we literally watched our own mavericks team create the blueprint for how to beat Gobert, and it involved Kleber hitting 8 threes from the corner in a single game and Gobert looking like he did not even belong in the NBA.

They WANT you to try to matchup with their size. That is their entire strategy. That is how they beat you. They have zigged, and the way to beat them is to zag. Plus, it’s just a cooler way of playing basketball that is 1000 times more fun to watch.

I used to think that countering with small ball/5 out was the best way to beat these teams and it’s certainly an option and what got us to the conference finals but Lively has made me rethink all of this. Powell is just not a lob threat anymore so we didn’t see the other option. You consider dinosaur ball having a big old lumbering gobert out there but it’s more than that, it’s drop coverage over and over again. Have you seen what Luka does to drop coverage with Lively? Now can you imagine him having that option ALL GAME if he wants? There’s other ways to attack what your describing is all and now we have multiple guys who can provide 5 out in maxi and PJ and multiple guys to allow Luka to get a guy on his back in the pick and roll and use a lob threat against a big to get a bucket.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 07:49 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Removed by the uploader.

It was a short of Bill Simmons doing one of his new walk-and-talks. He was basically laying out a theory that Mark Cuban has abandoned any sort of safety net for the team because he doesn’t believe he will be in charge of the team for very much longer. He’s now just throwing desperate hail Mary passes that have no chance of succeeding in a feeble attempt to salvage this season in order to assure he gets to control the next.
Like Reply

That feels a little dramatic
But I know I would feel better about Luka staying here long term (happily) if we still had Brunson and DFS
Like Reply
Mavs make a trade
"Mavs wasted assets while Luka clock is ticking"

Mavs don't make a trade
"Mavs miss opportunity to improve team while Luka clock is ticking"
[-] The following 8 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, HIMAV, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 07:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It was a short of Bill Simmons doing one of his new walk-and-talks. He was basically laying out a theory that Mark Cuban has abandoned any sort of safety net for the team because he doesn’t believe he will be in charge of the team for very much longer. He’s now just throwing desperate hail Mary passes that have no chance of succeeding in a feeble attempt to salvage this season in order to assure he gets to control the next.

Bill Simmons’ bias against the mavs is palpable. The dude is just homies with haralabob.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:07 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Bill Simmons’ bias against the mavs is palpable. The dude is just homies with haralabob.

Sure, but that doesn’t make him wrong. I honestly don’t think it’s the craziest thing I’ve heard.
Like Reply
Boys bottom line is that out of 10 rotational players, 7 of them would be 7/8 guy on any team Mavs are supposed to compete against. Its not hating, or depressing, its just objective. What hurts is, Mavs keep trading for players like this while attaching picks! Trading in this manner, you eventually run out of assets and at that point you trade your super/all star and join the likes of Washington and Detroit at the bottom of the league for foreseeable future. Its a natural cycle.
Its where Mavs are headed. If you watch Nba (other teams, players) long enough its pretty obvious.
I hope for the best, I really do, but pointing stuff like this is not hating, its just objective, based on history, stats and eye test.
Personally the best outcome I would like to see this season is to have an epic battle with LAC in the 1 round. At least it would make for a good story and history. That is the best I can see Mavs doing this season.
Maybe they match up better with Minny or Okc in a series and can somehow make it to the second round, and then face LAC but that is the absolute max.
On the other hand there is still a very good chance they dont even make the playoffs. Priority at this point would be to somehow avoid play in, because that is a lottery. A bad day against Lakers and the season is wasted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bodhisattva's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I am down bad, my dudes. I hope it doesn’t play out as badly as it does every time I imagine it in my head.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am down bad, my dudes. I hope it doesn’t play out as badly as it does every time I imagine in my head.

You said similar things after the second KP trade I believe my man (I know I did at least). We just got to see it on the court. I care much more about that than Kevin peltons algorithm.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am down bad, my dudes. I hope it doesn’t play out as badly as it does every time I imagine in my head.

Im gonna put some salt into this and make a prediction, that Omax will be out of the league in 2,3 years Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes bodhisattva's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:16 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Im gonna put some salt into this and make a prediction, that Omax will be out of the league in 2,3 years Big Grin

[Image: no-noooo.gif]
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:16 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You said similar things after the second KP trade I believe my man (I know I did at least). We just got to see it on the court. I care much more about that than Kevin peltons algorithm.

And in a similar vein, I remember how literally everyone thought the Mavs fleeced the Knicks to get a perfect young combo of Luka and KP.

It's just really hard to truly know if it's going to work or not until it plays out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:16 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You said similar things after the second KP trade I believe my man (I know I did at least). We just got to see it on the court. I care much more about that than Kevin peltons algorithm.

I loved the second KP trade. I was ready to get his ass out of here a year and a half before that trade happened. I was calling itaddition by subtraction the day of.

I was not excited about Dinwiddie coming in, I’ll give you that.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I loved the second KP trade. I was ready to get his ass out of here a year and a half before that trade happened. I was calling in addition by subtraction of the day of.

I was not excited about Dinwiddie coming in, I’ll give you that.

So…

When the Mavs won their championship back in 2011, how many minutes were you happy?
Like Reply
Grant Willams was an "okay" signing for me, not a "jump for joy" type of signing that some here were like.
'Wanted PJ Washington rather than GW from the start (people here were like.. Nahhh.. GW is better). LOL.

I'm not sure if PJ Wash would have accepted less money than what the Mavs could offer, but if the decision on taking GW over PJ wasn't about the money-- then it's a strike for Nico. Would have been exponentially better if the Mavs had PJ outright.

NOTE: I like PJ and Gafford, those two combined is worth an FRP. IMHO there's two things that are missing on the Mavs to truly contend -- 1.) an SF-PF type who doesn't need to produce all-star numbers, he just needs to be more than just "decent" in O, but has to be above average in D. Can the Mavs get him with THJ+2 FRPs?.. 2.) Kiddd needs to go, and make sure the replacement coach is better (not very hard to do).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply