Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
Yes, we have sold our picks from 27-30. But after the draft we have 3/7 clean firsts. 5 seconds for minor moves over the next 2 years. We’re in a good position

The cap sheet looks fantastic. The PJ, Kyrie, Gafford, Maxi contracts all end right before a potential Luka supermax extension decision.

This all means that we have great flexibility to revamp this team in a couple years to be whatever Luka wants it to be. We could scrap these guys and have big cap space for any player(s) that Luka were to want to join up with. Sign and trade flexibility as well

Luka isn’t going anywhere
[-] The following 4 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:34 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If I were to be honest, I would have done the PJ trade but not the Gafford trade.  I may completely change my opinion on both but taking my thoughts previous to today that is where I would have landed.  But I am wrong often.  I thought Grant would be great here

I am just the opposite -- I thought the Gafford acquisition was better, and has the greater chance of bringing noteworthy improvement to the team. 

To me he's been a desirable piece since last summer (and before, too), because he's a very good screen setting rim-runner like Powell, but he also blocks shots and rebounds (which Powell isn't very good at). I don't see a conflict with Lively -- in the Mavs better years, they had a 2-center rotation with two GOOD centers. And DG's contract is attractively priced (just above MLE).

As for PJW, while I hope he'll blossom in Dallas, to me he's always seemed like way more hype than substance. And I'm a big believer that it's extremely myopic about risk to trade for a player who will have to do way more than he has ever done before, to be worth the trade cost. Fortunately the trade cost was modest (neither GW nor SC were valuable here), and the lost value of the 1st (which hopefully will be low in the round) is somewhat offset by the gain of the 2 2nds.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Mavs 3-0 on the road trip

Josh Green 15.6/4.6/3.3 47% 3PT (5.6 APG)

This is who he is now!
[-] The following 6 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:28 PM)Smitty Wrote: Mavs 3-0 on the road trip

Josh Green 15.6/4.6/3.3 47% 3PT (5.6 APG)

This is who he is now!

Inb4 Kidd puts him on the bench on Saturday and deflates his confidence again
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Dalton Trigg (@dalton_trigg)
Exclusive: Mavs and Tim Hardaway Jr. have mutual interest in a long-term extension.

“Obviously we can see him being around for a long time, and I know he wants to stay,” @mcuban tells http://dallasbasketball.com/.

#MFFL @SInow: https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/ex...-extension
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Landon Thomas (@sixfivelando)
Luka Dončić has averaged 37.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 10.5 assists in his last 10 games.

50% FG / 37.1% 3PT

Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Jason Kidd on trade deadline additions: "I would just like to ask everyone to have some patience. Because anytime you add two new pieces, or maybe three new pieces, it takes time to get a rhythm and to understand each other. But we're very excited to have those two."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 03:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Dalton Trigg (@dalton_trigg)
Exclusive: Mavs and Tim Hardaway Jr. have mutual interest in a long-term extension.

“Obviously we can see him being around for a long time, and I know he wants to stay,” @mcuban tells http://dallasbasketball.com/.

The only bummer is that this is from 2021.

(02-09-2024, 04:14 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Landon Thomas (@sixfivelando)
Luka Dončić has averaged 37.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 10.5 assists in his last 10 games.

50% FG / 37.1% 3PT

Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Jason Kidd on trade deadline additions: "I would just like to ask everyone to have some patience. Because anytime you add two new pieces, or maybe three new pieces, it takes time to get a rhythm and to understand each other. But we're very excited to have those two."

Buyout player for slot #3.
Like Reply
February 9th 2023. Mavs record 30-26. 4th seed in the west.

February 9th 2024. Mavs record 29-23. 8th seed in the west.
Like Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit: SH, that was evil.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, omahen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Weird Cuban brought up extension for Hardaway now.

If Dinwiddie is signed, things get really tight if everyone is healthy.
Regardless, Josh Green minutes cannot be compromised. Also, if Exum is healthy, his minutes backing up Green should also not be compromised. Both guys will be asked to defend. jones gets any remaining minutes. Not sure if it will play out that way though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:23 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Weird Cuban brought up extension for Hardaway now.

If Dinwiddie is signed, things get really tight if everyone is healthy.
Regardless, Josh Green minutes cannot be compromised.  Also, if Exum is healthy, his minutes backing up Green should also not be compromised.  Both guys will be asked to defend.  jones gets any remaining minutes.  Not sure if it will play out that way though.

2021 article
Like Reply
I think everyone here should take the time to listen carefully to the Hoop Collective’s read on the Mavs’ day in their trade deadline recap episode. You don’t have to agree, but if you listen with an open mind it will scare you, at least a little.

Honestly, I don’t know if Luka stays or goes. I think he signs the supermax and then asks out afterwards if he does go, but…I think the lack of draft capital might make that decision for me if I were he.

If that happens, then they’ll probably recoup a little draft capital by moving him, but it won’t be nearly as good as their own draft capital that OKC, BRK and SA will be feasting on at that time.

And, what are they going to do if he just leaves in two years as a free agent, Brunson style??? I don’t think that’s likely, exactly, but we didn’t want to acknowledge the possibility with Brunson, either. I think they’d end up being very happy that they top two predicted the pick they just traded to Charlotte, but even if they win five fewer games than anybody else in the NBA they will still be depending on ping-pong balls to keep that pick. After that, they won’t control any of their own draft capital, which should all be amazing draft capital, for few years.

I like both of the moves they made yesterday in terms of the players they added. The more I think about it, however, the more I think the smartest thing would have been to do nothing or maybe even to try to add draft capital by selling off some of their depth.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:54 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think everyone here should take the time to listen carefully to the Hoop Collective’s read on the Mavs’ day in their trade deadline recap episode. You don’t have to agree, but if you listen with an open mind it will scare you, at least a little.

Honestly, I don’t know if Luka stays or goes. I think he signs the supermax and then asks out afterwards if he does go, but…I think the lack of draft capital might make that decision for me if I were he.

If that happens, then they’ll probably recoup a little draft capital by moving him, but it won’t be nearly as good as their own draft capital that OKC, BRK and SA will be feasting on at that time.

And, what are they going to do if he just leaves in two years as a free agent, Brunson style??? I don’t think that’s likely, exactly, but we didn’t want to acknowledge the possibility with Brunson, either. I think they’d end up being very happy that they top two predicted the pick they just traded to Charlotte, but even if they win five fewer games than anybody else in the NBA they will still be depending on ping-pong balls to keep that pick. After that, they won’t control any of their own draft capital, which should all be amazing draft capital, for few years.

I like both of the moves they made yesterday in terms of the players they added. The more I think about it, however, the more I think the smartest thing would have been to do nothing or maybe even to try to add draft capital by selling off some of their depth.

I tend to agree with about 90% of your posts. This one I see much differently. The best way to keep Luka a Maverick is to win. Period.

Luka and Brunsons situation are worlds apart. IMO, there is less than 0.00000000001% chance that Luka does not sign the supermax extension. If he wants out afterwards, the Mavs will set the record for returning draft capital coming back.
[-] The following 7 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 09:07 AM)Smitty Wrote: I tend to agree with about 90% of your posts. This one I see much differently. The best way to keep Luka a Maverick is to win. Period.

Sure, but I’m not saying anything to contradict that. What I’m saying is that they are putting themselves in a situation where “winning” will no longer be a choice they can make.

What Luka is going to care about the next time he has to make a decision is not only whether or not the team has been competitive in the years leading up to that decision, it will be even more about his opinion of their chances to be competitive moving into the future from that point in time. 

Every time they do one of these deals, the future gets a little less bright. I like the two players they got a lot, I just don’t think they can afford to operate like this anymore. They really are starting to feel like Cleveland did the first time LeBron played there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply

It’s only 8:15 and my day is ruined.

Edit: old news thank God
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 09:14 AM). KillerLeft Wrote: Every time they do one of these deals, the future gets a little less bright. I like the two players they got a lot, I just don’t think they can afford to operate like this anymore. They really are starting to feel like Cleveland did the first time LeBron played there.

Yes, I agree completely. They are mortgaging/risking a lot of their future to build a team around Luka that is capable of winning. But do you blame them? Don't you have to show Luka that you're making every effort possible to put the right guys around him? 

Luka is involved in these discussions and wants these to happen. LeBron and Luka are two of the few players in the league, that demand winning at all costs. As fans, we certainly discuss/debate how that's a bad idea for a franchise to operate, rightfully so. I just don't think it's realistic to expect the front office to "do nothing" or "try to add draft capital by selling off some of their depth".
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 09:25 AM)Smitty Wrote: Yes, I agree completely. They are mortgaging/risking a lot of their future to build a team around Luka that is capable of winning. But do you blame them? Don't you have to show Luka that you're making every effort possible to put the right guys around him? 

Luka is involved in these discussions and wants these to happen. LeBron and Luka are two of the few players in the league, that demand winning at all costs. As fans, we certainly discuss/debate how that's a bad idea for a franchise to operate, rightfully so. I just don't think it's realistic to expect the front office to "do nothing" or "try to add draft capital by selling off some of their depth".

I agree that Luka probably needs to see a plan NOW, and that he’s probably one of the main voices deciding things like “Grant is weird, get him out of here” or “PJ seems like a good fit.” 

And before this summer, I would’ve been resigned to this path like you seem to be. 

But man, their maneuvering on draft night changed me. Imagine if they had just done that three years in a row up until the next free agent period for Luka. Imagine the amount of young talent there would be around here at that point, and imagine how much experience some of it would have by then. I have to believe that Luka is smart enough to see the wisdom in that approach, and think I would’ve tried to sell them on it. Who knows, maybe they did…

Don’t get me wrong – I am excited to watch these two new players with the team, and I do think they’ll make the team better.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 09:14 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, but I’m not saying anything to contradict that. What I’m saying is that they are putting themselves in a situation where “winning” will no longer be a choice they can make.

What Luka is going to care about the next time he has to make a decision is not only whether or not the team has been competitive in the years leading up to that decision, it will be even more about his opinion of their chances to be competitive moving into the future from that point in time. 

Every time they do one of these deals, the future gets a little less bright. I like the two players they got a lot, I just don’t think they can afford to operate like this anymore. They really are starting to feel like Cleveland did the first time LeBron played there.

Fully agree. I remain on the skeptical side here. We have little to no safety net from 2027 on going forward and will be severely limited in our ways to improve the roster further / replace guys as they age out (Kyrie? Timmy? Can Kleber keep the recent play?)

I think ultimately we haven’t gotten enough talent for what we have moved out in terms of draft assets over the years. Things just add up in a bad way. Owing another 1st to NY for KP here, an unprotected pick swap for Grant there, throw in the 1st we moved for Kyrie, now PJ. That’s a lot. The Cleveland-comparison hurts but i would not be surprised to see things end like that.

Lowe: „it feels like they are always chasing their tale“ in regards to all the picks we’ve moved for guys like Grant, correcting the Brunson mistake by going for Kyrie, now paying to move on from Grant just a few months later.

Also Lowe: „The team looks good on paper“ but he raises concerns about the asset management part of modern day NBA roster building as we somehow always end up „paying a premium“ throughout all these moves & the correcting of mistakes.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 09:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that Luka probably needs to see a plan NOW, and that he’s probably one of the main voices deciding things like “Grant is weird, get him out of here” or “PJ seems like a good fit.” 

And before this summer, I would’ve been resigned to this path like you seem to be. 

But man, their maneuvering on draft night changed me. Imagine if they had just done that three years in a row up until the next free agent period for Luka. Imagine the amount of young talent there would be around here at that point, and imagine how much experience some of it would have by then. I have to believe that Luka is smart enough to see the wisdom in that approach, and think I would’ve tried to sell them on it. Who knows, maybe they did…

Don’t get me wrong – I am excited to watch these two new players with the team, and I do think they’ll make the team better.

You bring up an excellent point. Last years draft and creativity in the offseason is what has me more bullish on the way the Mavs are operating now. Just as they did this TDL. Turning a pick swap into a FRP, sending a protected FRP but getting back SRP's. This is the creativity that we've literally never seen before. Lindsey's addition seems to be the obvious link to how these things are now the new way forward.

If you would have suggested before the TDL that the Mavs immediately corrected their Grant Williams mistake and upgrade their PF/C spots while also netting a draft pick, I would have blocked you for being a troll. (kidding)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 09:07 AM)Smitty Wrote: I tend to agree with about 90% of your posts. This one I see much differently. The best way to keep Luka a Maverick is to win. Period.

Luka and Brunsons situation are worlds apart. IMO, there is less than 0.00000000001% chance that Luka does not sign the supermax extension. If he wants out afterwards, the Mavs will set the record for returning draft capital coming back.

If a chance for Luka to leave is so small as you think, than these moves make even less sense. Than building slowly around him would be a far better long-term strategy. Mavs are taking the risks because they are affraid Luka will not resign or ask out.

My personal feelings. Luka being as competitive as he is, would suffer so much in the middle of the pack hell that he would rather go to where he could win than suffer. I think his happines would be more important to him than additional money. He is rich as it is. Besides, he could probably easily recuperate loss in salary with endorsement deals he could get in top destinations. 

I totally agree that winning is best strategy to keep Luka. But what if PJ turns into another GWill story? There are less and less possibilities to recover from such a mistake. Lets be realistic. Mavs are current 8th seed. Certainly in a position where making playoffs is not totally certain. What do you do if they don't make it? How do you recover from there?
Like Reply