Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-08-2024, 05:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nobody wants to think about thus, but they should:

https://x.com/samquinncbs/status/1755687059426079007?s=61&t=Zmns3TEXDYnIJIXeN05-eQ

If I understand things correctly there will be plenty of draft picks acquired to offset any stepien rule concerns if these next 2 months don't work out.  I'm definitely hoping it works out.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nobody wants to think about thus, but they should:

https://x.com/samquinncbs/status/1755687059426079007?s=61&t=Zmns3TEXDYnIJIXeN05-eQ

The best way to make sure Luka stays? Win!
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
really big opportunity for Josh Green. He is going to be given a chance to take that SF position. He is going to need to guard the best offensive guard or SF. It will be a big trial for him. Can he stay confident taking open shots. If he doesn't grab it, this team will look for a SF this offseason. If he does, he can really put himself in a good, important role.

Also, practices and this summer will be big for Omax. He needs the game to slow down for him and gain some confidence in the coaching staff. If not, he is going to get boxed in a little.

This trade deadline was probably not good for Derrick Jones jr. He has gone from an important role player to one who may not get a lot of minutes if everyone is healthy.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:23 PM)chaparral Wrote: I like the players incoming today via the TDL.  I also hope we can add Dinwiddie in via the buy-out marked, since Kyrie and Exum have been offend injured.  Mavs went all in for this TDL.  It is all on Kidd now to make it work. 

My questions are about the future FRP draft picks.

2024 - NYK
2025 - Own.  Can we trade this summer if 24 conveys to the Knicks?
2026 - Own.  If we can trade 25 we can no longer trade 26, right?
2027 - CHA.  Top 2 protected.
2028 - OKC swap.
2029 - BRK.
2030 - SA swap.
2031 - Own.

Mavs can trade 2025 and 2031 once free agency starts and swap 2026
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:20 PM)MFFL Wrote: Bobby Marks says Mavericks were the biggest winners of the TDL

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42

Everyone has their opinion. They filled some holes at C and PF, but the Knicks are clear winners to me.
Like Reply
Since the TDL is over, I had a look at direct Mavs competitors. Mavs are 2 games behind Pelicans and Suns for the 6th spot. Sacramento in 7th spot has 1.5 games advantage over Mavs. 31 games left.

Pelicans and Sacramento stood pat. Phoenix traded a bunch of their vet minimums for O'Neale and Roddy and are planning to be very aggresive in the buyout market (likely replacing those meh vet minimums with meh buyout guys). Probably better than they were, but not much.

Lakers are 1.5 games behind Mavs and stood pat, but they can likely get one of the better bought out guys. Utah sold some contributing rotation players (Olynik, Fonteccio), GSW stood pat. Houston didn't do anything ground breaking and I don't see them as capable to make up the ground. Rest of West is out of playoff race.

Mavs were certainly one of the more active teams at TDL, paired perhaps only with NY. Other moves around the league were pretty much marginal.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:02 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs can trade 2025 and 2031 once free agency starts and swap 2026

How can they trade the 2024 and then also trade the 2025?

At best they could trade the 2025 pick during the 2025 draft. At least that's the way I understand the rules. 

The only way I could see that happening is if the Mavs actually drafted the player for the 2024 draft and THEN sent it to the Knicks - but I don't see that as legal because it isn't a draft day trade. It took place YEARS ago.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:14 PM)MFFL Wrote: How can they trade the 2024 and then also trade the 2025?

At best they could trade the 2025 pick during the 2025 draft. At least that's the way I understand the rules. 

The only way I could see that happening is if the Mavs actually drafted the player for the 2024 draft and THEN sent it to the Knicks - but I don't see that as legal because it isn't a draft day trade. It took place YEARS ago.

I can't give you official explanation on how exactly Stepien rule apply, I just know this is true as basically every analyst is saying it Smile

As soon as the 2024 draft is finished and new season starts with FA, Mavs can trade 2025 if they own a pick in the 2026 draft.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • MFFL, michaeltex
Like Reply

Nope.  Shouldn't think about it at all.

Just obey what Jesus said:

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Here's a guess at the rotation moving forward if/when everyone is healthy. No Lawson or Morris minutes, and OMax will still only play in garbage time because Kidd lost his "develop young players" virtue, so just 12 guys. I'm counting Luka as an SF, not because I believe he plays SF, but because he guards SFs.

PG: Irving (33), Exum (15)
SG: Green (28), THJ (15), Hardy (5)
SF: Luka (35), PJ (13)
PF: PJ (17), Maxi (15), DJJ (10), Powell (6)
C: Lively (28), Gafford (20)

I'm sure some are spewing out their coffee at how low Exum and THJ's minutes are. There's a crunch. Good problems to have.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Here's a guess at the rotation moving forward if/when everyone is healthy. No Lawson or Morris minutes, and OMax will still only play in garbage time because Kidd lost his "develop young players" virtue, so just 12 guys. I'm counting Luka as an SF, not because I believe he plays SF, but because he guards SFs.

I'm sure some are spewing out their coffee at how low Exum and THJ's minutes are. There's a crunch. Good problems to have.

I doubt PJ can play SF. He was more of a PF/C type in Charlotte. Powell is also not a PF, not sure why you have him there. I will be really surprised if he ever plays next to Lively and Gafford. I think Hardy will be a DNP when everyone is healthy. So will Powell. Their minutes will come in games when others will be out.

Here is my take:
PG: Irving (33), Exum (15
SG: Green (28), THJ (20)
SF: Luka (38), THJ (10)
PF: PJ (30), Maxi (18)
C: Lively (26), Gafford (22)

Maxi will likely get some minutes at center based on the opponent.

I would love Exum to play 25+ minutes at the expense of Hardaway, but I am affraid that will not happen. Looking a bit again, I was probably too generous giving THJ 30 minutes. Likely more like 25 and Exum 20. Forgot to add DJJ, but I don't think he will be very regular when everyone is healthy.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
If I were to be honest, I would have done the PJ trade but not the Gafford trade. I may completely change my opinion on both but taking my thoughts previous to today that is where I would have landed. But I am wrong often. I thought Grant would be great here
Like Reply
I think Lively and Gafford will be pretty close to even on minutes. No issues with anything else there.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Here's a guess at the rotation moving forward if/when everyone is healthy. No Lawson or Morris minutes, and OMax will still only play in garbage time because Kidd lost his "develop young players" virtue, so just 12 guys. I'm counting Luka as an SF, not because I believe he plays SF, but because he guards SFs.

If I had to guess. PJ won't play any minutes at SF. More likely that he plays some small ball center. One out of Exum/Hardy is getting DNP-CDs. If DJJ cannot find his jumpshot from november he might join the DNP-CD list.
Like Reply

Yes.  If everyone's healthy, it definitely cuts minutes for players that have grown accustomed to larger roles.

On the other hand, some players will benefit from specific matchups.  If they play small, perhaps Lively and Gafford won't total 48 sometimes.  

Or Green is the only guy who can stop Kawhi, so he ends up playing 35.

Or maybe Powell is just having one of those supernova games where he just can't miss, and Kidd can't keep him off the floor.  Oh, wait.  I think I meant Timmy.

Where are you, SH??
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:33 PM)omahen Wrote: I doubt PJ can play SF. He was more of a PF/C type in Charlotte. Powell is also not a PF, not sure why you have him there. I will be really surprised if he ever plays next to Lively and Gafford. I think Hardy will be a DNP when everyone is healthy. So will Powell. Their minutes will come in games when others will be out.

Here is my take:
PG: Irving (33), Exum (15
SG: Green (28), THJ (20)
SF: Luka (38), THJ (10)
PF: PJ (30), Maxi (18)
C: Lively (26), Gafford (22)

Maxi will likely get some minutes at center based on the opponent.

I would love Exum to play 25+ minutes at the expense of Hardaway, but I am affraid that will not happen. Looking a bit again, I was probably too generous giving THJ 30 minutes. Likely more like 25 and Exum 20. Forgot to add DJJ, but I don't think he will be very regular when everyone is healthy.

I’m not sure it’s easy to predict the Green/Exum/THJ minutes, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see anyone of those three get a slightly shorter end of the stick then the other two, but this is basically how I see it playing out, too.

Where do we see DJJ fitting in?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Where do we see DJJ fitting in?

Perhaps as a "break in case of emergency" on whatever position defense will need a boost on any given night. I doubt he will just go to a complete DNP, but his minutes will be certainly reduced a lot and will be only high either because he will be absolutely awesome on defense or his shots will be falling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:34 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If I were to be honest, I would have done the PJ trade but not the Gafford trade.  I may completely change my opinion on both but taking my thoughts previous to today that is where I would have landed.  But I am wrong often.  I thought Grant would be great here

After watching years of Gafford destroy KP and Powell. And again this year in the 6 games I watched where Gafford was by far the best player for the wizards. I am very excited about the trade.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:34 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If I were to be honest, I would have done the PJ trade but not the Gafford trade.  I may completely change my opinion on both but taking my thoughts previous to today that is where I would have landed.  But I am wrong often.  I thought Grant would be great here

Close your eyes. Just imagine it as having having Bam Adebayo as Lively's backup Big Grin

EPM

Gobert +2.0
Lively +1.9
Bam  +1.8
Gafford +1.8
Robinson +1.2
Mark Williams +1.2
WCJ +1.1
Walker Kessler +0,8
Andre Drummond +0.8
Naz Reid +0.3
Claxton +0.3
Like Reply
Agree with SleepingHero on Gafford. That's about as good an upgrade at center as we could have ever asked for.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply