Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(02-08-2024, 03:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have mixed feelings, as well. 

I like both Washington and Gafford, but I was fine with center the way it was, and I don't think even the combination of both of them is worth completely emptying the war chest that they had literally just started filling back up. 

I don't think people realize how little the Mavs will be able to get done in the trade market moving forward from here. They are STILL paying for Porzingis, lolololol.

I don't think their trade situation is that lessoned.  They will still have two picks, and better young trade assets.  The pick swap stings, but I think that GWill contract was heading into untradeable territory.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:50 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think their trade situation is that lessoned.  They will still have two picks, and better young trade assets.  The pick swap stings, but I think that GWill contract was heading into untradeable territory.

Did you see what Omahen posted? 

I do not believe they will have two tradable picks now, due to that swap. 

I suppose there will be things they can do to further mortgage the swapped picks, and they do have a handful of seconds, but it's bleak.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Did you see what Omahen posted? 

I suppose there will be things they can do to further mortgage the swapped picks, and they do have a handful of seconds, but it's bleak.

Which thread (too many)?  I don't think a pick swap would keep you from being able to trade a first, but not an expert on these things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Did you see what Omahen posted? 

Pick swap didn't change anything. They can still trade two picks
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:57 PM)omahen Wrote: Pick swap didn't change anything. They can still trade two picks

That's a relief!!!!
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What changed? You were hate-posting me over the summer for making this point.

Watching this team play this year was a chore. Did not feel like we were even close to being a contender with one more big move.  

As the season has transpired, I’ve decided I’d rather make 3-4 small trades for young players and hope you hit on a couple than go all in for one old player aka “third best guy.”

I felt like omahen before the season, somewhat restless for third best guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:45 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think with the trades today it is going to be hard for Dallas to trade for their 3rd best player.  So we may be looking at guys in the DFS range this summer.   

This is the main concern for me. If Mavs problem is lack of a third best guy*, then endless swapping of fifth best guys trying to play them in the third best guy roles losing assets doing it will never solve the problem.

* third best guy is not an all star. He is a good player, somewhere around top40-top60 players in the league. Mavs could use above average defender that can do stuff offensively
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:00 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Watching this team play this year was a chore. Did not feel like we were even close to being a contender with one more big move.  

As the season has transpired, I’ve decided I’d rather make 3-4 small trades for young players and hope you hit on a couple than go all in for one old player aka “third best guy.”

Do you agree that watching them was LESS of a chore than last year, or no?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Do you agree that watching them was LESS of a chore than last year, or no?

Outside of Lively holding it down at 19, didn’t see any improvement from last year to this. 

Not a DJJ believer. Green was basically bad until recently. Kyrie hurt again. Luka angry most nights. Grant Williams flop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:03 PM)omahen Wrote: This is the main concern for me. If Mavs problem is lack of a third best guy*, then endless swapping of fifth best guys trying to play them in the third best guy roles losing assets doing it will never solve the problem.

* third best guy is not an all star. He is a good player, somewhere around top40-top60 players in the league. Mavs could use above average defender that can do stuff offensively

Wouldn’t the 3rd-best guy be in the 60-90th-best NBA player? Assuming that 1-30 is the best player on each team, then 31-60 is the 2nd-best.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:12 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Wouldn’t the 3rd-best guy be in the 60-90th-best NBA player? Assuming that 1-30 is the best player on each team, then 31-60 is the 2nd-best.

Contenders certainly have more than 2 guys in the 1-60 tier. We could easily say Boston (for example) has 5 guys in that tier.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:09 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Outside of Lively holding it down at 19, didn’t see any improvement from last year to this. 

Not a DJJ believer. Green was basically bad until recently. Kyrie hurt again. Luka angry most nights. Grant Williams flop.

Okay, fair enough. I think you're underselling how good Exum/DJJ were as MINIMUM salary additions and I'm a lot higher on the prospect of what O-Max (been warming back up on Hardy lately, too) will become than you are, but yeah, Williams was the main acquisition and he did flop. That's true. 

Still, that one positive of "Lively holding it down at 19" is a big one.

This time next year, I predict a pretty sizable Kyrie Irving deal. I only hope he's still worth a fair return at that time.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:14 PM)omahen Wrote: Contenders certainly have more than 2 guys in the 1-60 tier. We could easily say Boston (for example) has 5 guys in that tier.

Ah. 

So what you’re saying is that we need a 3rd-best guy who would be the 2nd-best (or best) player on some other team.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:21 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Ah. 

So what you’re saying is that we need a 3rd-best guy who would be the 2nd-best (or best) player on some other team.

I think that is a logical order of things. Look at Washington. Poole is acting like a No.1 there, while in reality he wouldn't be more than 6th man on contenders. Kuzma is third best player on a contender at best. Detroit has Cunningham who is a very average number 1 guy. Not any other player has showed much to be more than a role player on a contender (some guys of course still young and have a chance to become one).
Like Reply
I am happy the Mavs kept Josh, Omax and Hardy. Maybe in a few years I may regret we gave up a first than either. Omax and Hardy probably don't have much value, but they are Nico guys. Selling low on either now is not a smart move. Maybe they help on the court or maybe they are assets in a trade. This teams needs to find young assets to fill out the roster.
Like Reply
Bobby Marks says Mavericks were the biggest winners of the TDL

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I like the players incoming today via the TDL. I also hope we can add Dinwiddie in via the buy-out marked, since Kyrie and Exum have been offend injured. Mavs went all in for this TDL. It is all on Kidd now to make it work.

My questions are about the future FRP draft picks.

2024 - NYK
2025 - Own. Can we trade this summer if 24 conveys to the Knicks?
2026 - Own. If we can trade 25 we can no longer trade 26, right?
2027 - CHA. Top 2 protected.
2028 - OKC swap.
2029 - BRK.
2030 - SA swap.
2031 - Own.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
I don't understand how we have ANY first round picks to trade. If we give NY the 2024 pick then we are prohibited from trading 2025. And we can't trade 2026 because we owe the 2027 pick.

And yes I know we can draft and trade a player to get around it during the draft.
Like Reply
The unheralded aspect of what we did today is that we don't know how long Lively's going to be out. Having Gafford available as the starter might save our season.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • F Gump, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Smitty
Like Reply
Nobody wants to think about thus, but they should:

https://x.com/samquinncbs/status/1755687059426079007?s=61&t=Zmns3TEXDYnIJIXeN05-eQ
Like Reply