Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(10-23-2023, 03:33 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: So now that you have your two role players wrapped up for 4 years in Grant Williams and Josh Green, I'm more than happy to play the OG trade game for everything else on the table.

Hardaway/Holmes/Hardy/Omax/27 FRP is probably the best package I could see us putting together.  Would that be enough for OG/filler (thad young and garrett temple)?  Is that too much?  All kind of depends on how the Raptors season goes obviously but it's interesting to think about what the front office does with those 5 assets in February.

I think that may a little for much OG. 

That's essentially 3 first rounders if you count Jaden having 1st round value now. Not to mention Hardaway having some type of value as a 14 PPG scorer off the bench. 

I dont see the hype with OMax, but i think i'd like to see him for a half season at least.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • Reunion Mav, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 03:42 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I think that may a little for much OG. 

That's essentially 3 first rounders if you count Jaden having 1st round value now. Not to mention Hardaway having some type of value as a 14 PPG scorer off the bench. 

I dont see the hype with OMax, but i think i'd like to see him for a half season at least.

Ya it's a little steep for my taste as well.  I'm more guessing what will be asked for in a trade like that.

One thing I will say is I think this board overvalues Hardy a bit.  I love watching him play but I still think there's a ton of decision making maturity that needs to be shown before he's solidified himself as a solid NBA rotation player.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • F Gump, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 03:45 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Ya it's a little steep for my taste as well.  I'm more guessing what will be asked for in a trade like that.

One thing I will say is I think this board overvalues Hardy a bit.  I love watching him play but I still think there's a ton of decision making maturity that needs to be shown before he's solidified himself as a solid NBA rotation player.

I agree that the board overrates Hardy, but I ALSO agree that his worth is more/less equivalent with a late first rounder to a team in need of a ball-handling scorer type.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • sterlingmallory, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 03:45 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Ya it's a little steep for my taste as well.  I'm more guessing what will be asked for in a trade like that.

I'm with you on this.  I'd do that deal for OG and go win now.
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 03:41 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Good news. Basically the same AAV as Grant Williams.

Guessing it was Josh and his agent that wanted one less year. He’ll still be in his prime and in line for a bigger deal at the end of this one. Good compromise for both sides.

Holmes and Hardaway are the only bad contracts left. Both will be expiring next season.

The most significant thing for me is that given how the last few dealings between the Mavs and CAA went down, I feel like this news means we KNOW Green wanted to get a deal done HERE. I also think it bodes well that he was willing to take a good deal and go back to "head down, get better" rather than worry about piling up stats for a great deal all season. Gives the right vibes, imho.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
After Kuminga builds off his preseason, it's going to be THJ/Holmes for old man Draymond in the 2024 offseason. That feels like a Cuban move.
Like Reply
In Nico we trust
Excited to see what he can pull off next. I really want Jeremy Grant but I doubt there's any good way to make those numbers work
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 02:49 PM)omahen Wrote: What would we do without you Smile

Good deal. If Green takes a couple of steps forward, they have a player with a great contract. If he doesn't, he is not overpaid as a bench rotation player.

...and I strike out again, lol

(10-23-2023, 03:13 PM)Jym Wrote: $13.7 mil a year.
Hard to argue with that. Was gonna consider anything under $15 mil a year to be reasonable

It's a hell of a deal.  Well done, Nico.
Like Reply
Well Alright! I think this was in the range of his value. I would have been willing to go a million or two more to get the deal done, but I think it is a good middle ground. Green gets life changing money no matter what happens in the next few years and if he still keeps improving he gets a chance for at least one big payday. Josh is the right type of guy too who this extension won't change him at all.

At this #, there is also a solid chance you can invest in good money in another wing in a bit. With Grant and Josh pretty close in salary and OMAX in a rookie deal, they are in good position if they want to take on a higher priced guy.

Nice job Mavs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 03:57 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: It's a hell of a deal.  Well done, Nico.

I think this was a mistake.  Yes, congrats to Nico in the near term.  $13.7mm is good value for the team.  It also makes team salary manageable next season.

But after two years of this deal (so 3 from now when he's 25) Josh will be extension eligible and we won't be able to extend him because 140% of his final year is only $20mm.  So, Josh will be a full on UFA in 2027.  We will either pay dearly for this or lose him altogether.  My range was $14mm-$16mm, so $13.7mm isn't that far off.  But, I'm not a fan of the 3 year term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 05:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think this was a mistake.  Yes, congrats to Nico in the near term.  $13.7mm is good value for the team.  It also makes team salary manageable next season.

But after two years of this deal (so 3 from now when he's 25) Josh will be extension eligible and we won't be able to extend him because 140% of his final year is only $20mm.  So, Josh will be a full on UFA in 2027.  We will either pay dearly for this or lose him altogether.  My range was $14mm-$16mm, so $13.7mm isn't that far off.  But, I'm not a fan of the 3 year term.

Given that 

A) they probably have plans over the next two years that will be aided greatly by the certainty this provides and 

B) It's a rather sizable assumption that they'll even want to retain his services in 2027 (or still have him here, for that matter),

don't you think that's kind of a nitpick? 

I mean, I'm willing to accept that potential downside if we get to avoid all the talking points about his coming free agency this year. I realize your point is that they kicked that stress down the road, but can we see the kid play in the rotation for a season before we worry about whether or not losing him in 2027 would be a huge negative?
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, Hypermav, Kidnova, mvossman, omahen, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Giannis extends for 3 years. Last year being a player option. Good for the Bucks.
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 02:48 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Shams chose violence. 3 years 41 million. 13.67 mil per year average.

https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/17165...71050?s=20

Next summer's MLE for 3 years with max raises totals $41.96M. (That's using NBA projection of a 142M cap, which is only a 4.4% raise over this season.)

So this deal is for less than that expected MLE. Reasonable number, because imo he hasn't yet shown to be an MLE player. The thinking that his agents got bigger contracts for other players was never rational, because he is not them! It is reasonable because Mavs aren't paying wildly for "what-if" upside fantasies, while at the same time, if his ever-promised "upside" actually happens, he's only committed for 3 years, thereby getting rewarded IF he outplays his contract.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • HIMAV, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 05:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: don't you think that's kind of a nitpick? 

I mean, I'm willing to accept that potential downside if we get to avoid all the talking points about his coming free agency this year. I realize your point is that they kicked that stress down the road, but can we see the kid play in the rotation for a season before we worry about whether or not losing him in 2027 would be a huge negative?

I'd call it advancing the conversation rather than nitpicking.  I acknowledged the positives.  Those are obvious.  

But, how many posts have we seen that took the time to even think about what this does down the road.  Nico's job is bigger than just what this does to the 24/25 cap.  He has to think through extensions and I'm saying right now that Josh won't extend off of this number.  You can take the season to evaluate if you'd like.  I don't think it will take that long.      

I think we collectively seem to anchor to negative things with certain players.  Brunson was 'unplayable' in the playoffs until he wasn't.  But, people are still anchored to Green not taking open shots against Gobert in the playoffs.  He's not the same guy.  Kidd is an idiot regarding just about any topic around here unless its his decision to start Holiday for a few games.  Then, its an indictment on how good Green is.

The upside is really high here.  It doesn't take a leap.  It just takes him doing what he does when he gets PT.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to see Josh get another extension 3 years from now.  I think we'll all eventually get to a point where we all agree this is a problem.  Until then, at least this should clear up any team shenanigan's surrounding his playing time or role.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 05:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think this was a mistake.  Yes, congrats to Nico in the near term.  $13.7mm is good value for the team.  It also makes team salary manageable next season.

If the third year ends up being a team option then I'll agree with you.

If not, then I think this is a really favorable deal for the Mavericks.  I really like the player Josh Green already is and I see the potential for him to become a top-50 player in the league.  That player on a contract for $14 million per year is a steal.  I would have preferred a four-year or five-year deal at a higher number but the deal he signed gives us more flexibility over the next 3 years.  

I think we should all be very positive about our situation as we enter this season.  This is the youngest and most athletic starting five we've had in a long time.  It's also the first time I can recall in a long time that our starting five is locked in under contract for multiple years.  This should finally give us some roster stability that we haven't had since 2011.  It's pretty good to be a Maverick fan right now.
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 06:45 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: But, how many posts have we seen that took the time to even think about what this does down the road. 

[...]

The upside is really high here.  It doesn't take a leap.  It just takes him doing what he does when he gets PT. 

Some of us think about down the road, and just disagree with your assumptions on Green. The priority value needs to be in this contract, or not at all.

I applaud the Green contract, and it landed right about where I kept talking about -- at the MLE or somewhat lower.

I don't buy your thesis that the QUALITY of Green's game flourishes or not depending on his minutes. Instead, I think the quality of his game impacts how many minutes he gets, that is I think the cause and effect is reversed. Which is correct? It takes more games than the tiny sample sizes we have so far to answer that.

I do agree that it's possible for him to improve, but believe that you need to be wary of paying for a player commensurate of an imagined, hopeful level of play rather than an actual one.

I also don't buy the idea that you might want to pay him a wrong (too big) number now, in order to try to create a better negotiation for a contract later. There are way too many variables between now and that next negotiation when he will be a UFA. UFA's change teams, get better, get worse, may want to spread their wings elsewhere, feel a better fit here or wish they were elsewhere, and etc etc, and it's way more than you can micromanage. In addition, the value of the player in 3 years depends on his play AND the surrounding cast. 

The only thing you get is this contract and its value over the next few years, and imo you are much wiser to keep your focus on that, and ignore the rest.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Kidnova, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-23-2023, 02:48 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Shams chose violence. 3 years 41 million. 13.67 mil per year average.

https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/17165...71050?s=20

Wow his agent is trash. Great deal for the Mavs, terrible deal for Green in this market unless there's some player option after two years and he's betting on himself. He could have done better than that if he was patient, although it's still a life changing amount so the temptation to sign that now was strong. No brainer deal for the Mavs
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(09-15-2023, 05:14 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You and I perceive this potential risk differently. Only way Green is getting an offer close to that is if he completely looks like a different player and takes a huge step for this team. One I hope that happens by the way. But even if it does happen then the Mavs just match said deal and move on. He'd obviously be worth it. Should the very (and I believe VERY) unlikely reality that some desperate team throws Green a 4/80 deal next summer after he puts up a season that looked largely like the last 2 then you wrangle a SnT and wish Green good luck.  The new cap rules punishes teams brutally for going over the 2nd cap and the days of overpaying the 4th-8th guys seem to be long gone. 

If a guy like Reaves got 4/54 (after doing more in 1 season than Green has in 3 years) then I can't see how Green gets close to a 70mil offer. I'm going to tentatively submit a 4/55 deal but hope its closer to 4/44.
[Image: bow-bowing.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mapka
Like Reply
So glad that Green is locked up for another 4 years on a very reasonable contract before the season starts. Now the Mavs can fully commit to him and try to get the most out of him without the fear of having to pay him too much if he performs very well.

In 2027 everyone will know what Josh Green is as a player and will have to pay accordingly (upside will be reduced to a minimum). Mavs will have full bird rights and can plan ahead if they want to keep him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Halfnir's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 04:33 AM)Halfnir Wrote: So glad that Green is locked up for another 4 years on a very reasonable contract before the season starts. Now the Mavs can fully commit to him and try to get the most out of him without the fear of having to pay him too much if he performs very well.

In 2027 everyone will know what Josh Green is as a player and will have to pay accordingly (upside will be reduced to a minimum). Mavs will have full bird rights and can plan ahead if they want to keep him.

Yeah becomes even harder to worry about a future contract of his after looking at the salary cap that year 
Early estimate I'm seeing is $189 million for 27-28 which is $53 million higher than this year and most likely on the lower end of reality. The tax line would be at $229 million
Like Reply