Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(10-19-2023, 08:38 AM)MFFL Wrote: One week away from the season opener,
Jason Kidd still hasnt talked to Tim Hardaway Jr. about his role…

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...1251708928

I think Kidd wants his role to be on another teams roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Benskix2's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:54 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting. I hope it is either for the affiliate or the trade is coming. Signing him instead of even Morris doesn't make a lot of sense, as he is not better than current Mavs centers and they have plenty of centers as it is.

Maxi and Holmes haven't looked good in preseason.  I can imagine the Mavs scrambling for a different 3rd-string center.

Based on counting stats, Bradley is a good rebounder and shot-blocker.  Free throw shooting is solid for a big-  68 percent.

His advanced stats in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 were actually pretty good.  He had a positive total RAPTOR in both years.  

He is probably just being signed to play on our G-league squad but I think he's worth gambling on.  I would also be fine with them waiving Markieff Morris and making Bradley the 15th man.  He provides better defense, rebounding and is much younger than Morris.

This might be a decent move.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:57 PM)omahen Wrote: Kidd is so bad with handling the media. How many teams can't (refuse to) name two of their starters a week before the season start? And if there are any, they are certainly not trying to compete. If Kidd actually knows who the starters will be, this is just a silly mind game he is playing. I don't see any benefit for anyone doing this.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1715...wcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

I really have no idea how G-league works regarding eligbility, but according to him Bradley can't play in G-league either

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7974705434

Amazing b’ball IQ in game as a player. Every time I hear the guy speak though I think Vicodin addiction. He just sounds so dumb and reaction time’s so slow. But yes, it’s got to be stupid mind games.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 09:29 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I think Kidd wants his role to be on another teams roster.

The day Jason Kidd is fired is the day the Mavs finally take championship aspirations seriously.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 10:28 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Maxi and Holmes haven't looked good in preseason.  I can imagine the Mavs scrambling for a different 3rd-string center.

Based on counting stats, Bradley is a good rebounder and shot-blocker.  Free throw shooting is solid for a big-  68 percent.

His advanced stats in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 were actually pretty good.  He had a positive total RAPTOR in both years.  

He is probably just being signed to play on our G-league squad but I think he's worth gambling on.  I would also be fine with them waiving Markieff Morris and making Bradley the 15th man.  He provides better defense, rebounding and is much younger than Morris.

This might be a decent move.

The only issue is the Mavs don't have the spot. I agree the move on paper looks promising, but unless Dan is right and there is a 2 for 1 type of trade incoming, I think Bradley is going to be waived before the season starts.

This front office appears to like to bring in as many guys as they can for workouts throughout the year so they have a good grasp on who they like. From my memory they've brought in Isiah Thomas, Dion Waiters, Brandon Knight, Lance Stepehenson, and Monta Ellis. 

Bradley probably signed an Exhibit 10 deal so he gets a bonus if he sticks with the Legends for 2 months. 

Quote:First introduced in the 2017 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), an Exhibit 10 contract is a mechanism for teams to bring in players to compete in training camp. They function as one-year minimum contracts, but most of the contract is non-guaranteed. Their purpose is to allow teams to bring in a few players to compete in training camp for a final roster spot or a team’s G League affiliate.

The difference between an Exhibit 10 and a normal non-guaranteed deal is that teams can include an optional bonus in the contract up to $75,000. That bonus is awarded if, after a player is waived, he spends at least 60 days with a team’s G League affiliate.

That mechanism encourages players who intend to play in the G League to stick with the team they were with in training camp. The team benefits from keeping them close to the organization and playing a consistent style of play, thus lessening the learning curve should that player get “called up” during the season. The player benefits from that bonus money they would not otherwise get on a non-guaranteed deal.

If the player signs with another team, another G League team or heads overseas, that bonus is voided.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
twitter.com/dalton_trigg/status/1715192359372099662
Dalton Trigg (@dalton_trigg)
Williams on why he chose to wear Luka shoes last season instead of Jayson Tatum’s: "I was more concerned with finding the best shoes to play in, and I guess me and Luka's body type, let's just say, is pretty similar. Stop-and-go was more what I needed than vertical, athleticism.”
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 12:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bradley probably signed an Exhibit 10 deal so he gets a bonus if he sticks with the Legends for 2 months. 

DB.com is reporting it as an Exhibit 10.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 08:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Bradley was drafted by Dennis Lindsey too.  Still pretty young.  Just has never proven to be more than an end of a bench player.

This needs to be a G-league spot.  Not a two way.  Justin Jackson was in the same draft and he has played in the G league.  Funny Bradley played on the same team as Theo Pinson at UNC.  Justin Jackson was on that team too. 

Bradley isn’t a guy you sign before a trade.  I would not expect much with this.  But who knows.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 03:42 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: Is anyone actually excited for this season?  This is the most apathetic I've been to a Mavs season since I can remember.  We're a .500 team at best with a nutty and terrible coach and a big talent drop off after 1 and 2.

Not me.  I am actually pretty positive and sort of excited. I was actually much more down entering last season....although I did not expect the season to be so awful.   The first 3 preseason games this year were rough though.  

I think this is the year to set the table for the future.   My vision is a year from now (maybe with another trade to upgrade the roster) the national media starts saying "Wow, how did Dallas add all this young talent".   

This year is for development and setting the future.  Hopefully that also includes good basketball where Luka and Kyrie show they are stars who impact winning and the coaching and front office show they are a competent run organization.    

There will be bumpy parts of the season and most of the teams in the West look good/great.   But Dallas finally invested in guys who fit better and are young.   Most also appear to be the right kind of guys to build around your stars.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Jmaciscool, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:57 PM)omahen Wrote: Kidd is so bad with handling the media. How many teams can't (refuse to) name two of their starters a week before the season start? And if there are any, they are certainly not trying to compete. If Kidd actually knows who the starters will be, this is just a silly mind game he is playing. I don't see any benefit for anyone doing this.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1715...wcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

I really have no idea how G-league works regarding eligbility, but according to him Bradley can't play in G-league either

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7974705434

What he says in the media doesn't really bother me.   But I agree the communication part inside the team is what worries me.  I understand wanting the players compete and win roles, but the communication is so important.  Hardaway should have had a clear understanding of the role we envisioned for him entering camp.  Not saying he could play himself into a better role or out of that role to a lesser one.  But the communication should have been clear imo.  

I was never a Christian Wood fan.  There was a 10 game spurt in December where I thought he played really well and I liked what I saw.   I wasn't a fan of much else.  But that got off to the wrong start from the beginning.   If the Mavs saw him as a Bobby Portis role, that should have been clear from the start.  Again, maybe he plays himself into a better role, but it appears that conversation never happened when camp opened up last year.  

The Josh Green thing is confusing.  I actually think right now in his development he is best off the bench (only 22 and can certainly continue to get better).  He is the best player on the roster currently to start the game.   Until they find an option who is better, Josh should start.   Lets see if he takes the opportunity and runs with it.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 06:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: DB.com is reporting it as an Exhibit 10.

This is now my application to work for DB.com Big Grin
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 07:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Makes one think. Delon was ushered out pretty quickly too. What is making the stop in Dallas basically their worst stop?

Hmmm.
He said he had personal issues there, if I get it right I think it is personal issues that affects his work and not the opposite, no?
[-] The following 1 user Likes khaled1987's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 08:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This is now my application to work for DB.com Big Grin

Traitor Tongue
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 08:33 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not me.  I am actually pretty positive and sort of excited. I was actually much more down entering last season....although I did not expect the season to be so awful.   The first 3 preseason games this year were rough though.  

I think this is the year to set the table for the future.   My vision is a year from now (maybe with another trade to upgrade the roster) the national media starts saying "Wow, how did Dallas add all this young talent".   

This year is for development and setting the future.  Hopefully that also includes good basketball where Luka and Kyrie show they are stars who impact winning and the coaching and front office show they are a competent run organization.    

There will be bumpy parts of the season and most of the teams in the West look good/great.   But Dallas finally invested in guys who fit better and are young.   Most also appear to be the right kind of guys to build around your stars.

Well said. I prefer to look for positive progress and just accept the painful parts. There are plenty of potential positives to look for and enjoy.

Time to sign up for NBA league pass for out of town fans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://x.com/johnhollinger/status/17158...39980?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Dennis looks the part. Shooting and being able to be productive without the ball will be key. Maybe a Royce O’Neal type player if he can hit open shots. Sort of weird he played 5 years in college and his points per game was pretty consistent his whole career (just under 10). You would think a guy who produces quickly as a freshman would see his stats go up after his freshman year.

Greg Brown is just a gamble on a former top 10 recruit and crazy athlete that he can learn how to play the nba game. Still only 22. Solid gamble as well. Probably a longer shot than Dennis though.
Like Reply
(10-21-2023, 03:55 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://x.com/johnhollinger/status/17158...39980?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Dennis looks the part.  Shooting and being able to be productive without the ball will be key.  Maybe a Royce O’Neal type player if he can hit open shots.  Sort of weird he played 5 years in college and his points per game was pretty consistent his whole career (just under 10).  You would think a guy who produces quickly as a freshman would see his stats go up after his freshman year.

Greg Brown is just a gamble on a former top 10 recruit and crazy athlete that he can learn how to play the nba game.  Still only 22.  Solid gamble as well.  Probably a longer shot than Dennis though.

So Mavs have three very similar players on two way deals (three 3-D wings)?
Like Reply
(10-22-2023, 12:42 AM)omahen Wrote: So Mavs have three very similar players on two way deals (three 3-D wings)?

Dennis and Lawson for sure.   With the 3 being the big question mark.

I have no idea what the successful Greg Brown looks like.   I was surprised to see when we signed him that he is only 6'7.   I thought he as like 6'10.  Just looking at his shot, I don't think he will ever be a strong perimeter player.  I was thinking small ball 5 type of player, but I am not sure if that is possible at 6'7.

It is crazy how talented you need to be even to be a fringe NBA player.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4jYtp3Y7vM&t=146s
Like Reply
(10-22-2023, 07:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is crazy how talented you need to be even to be a fringe NBA player.   

I think it's time to expand the league by 2 to 4 teams
Like Reply
https://x.com/coopz___/status/1716150363529662702?s=46
Like Reply
(10-22-2023, 02:21 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://x.com/coopz___/status/1716150363529662702?s=46

It seems it would have happened by now if it was going to happen.  Below is Sam Quinn's evaluation of Green (CBS Sports).  It is part of his evaluation of the entire draft class.  Green fits in what he calls the "Bet on Yourself Candidates".  The Keldon Johnson contract he references was 4/$74mm.  It started at $20mm and declined with an average of $18.5mm.

"There is an open competition for the starting shoot guard slot in Dallas. The metrics suggest Josh Green deserves it, but Jason Kidd's trust in him waxed and waned last season. That should suit Green just fine. He has the Mavericks over a barrel, in a sense. If he plays well, they'd have no means of replacing him as a free agent next summer. Even if Kidd yanks his minutes around, he's put more than enough on tape already to warrant a starter-level offer sheet in restricted free agency. 

If Dallas wants to lock him up, it would likely need to approach that Keldon Johnson number. Ask Jalen Brunson how comfortable the Mavericks are making big upside bets like that. In all likelihood, their offer underwhelms and Green punishes them for their hesitance during the season."
Like Reply