Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
I didn't saw this one posted, so sorry if I overlooked. MacMahon about Mavs weirdness. Sure he likes to be negative and seems to enjoy when he can kick someone laying on the floor. But looks like some weird stuff is going on related to Casey Smith (Cato never followed up on his initial story) as well as line-up stuff we already mentioned here.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...1841915203
Like Reply
(10-11-2023, 11:37 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: SF...
I still say that the only way to make the Luka/Kyrie starting combo work is with a big and defensive minded SF (OG type).  OMax may fulfill this role at some point, but I don't see that point this year.  He needs to be looking for a condo in Frisco, not Dallas.  I like J.Green, but he is too small for this role and is not a rebounder.
Thoughts on Holmes/27FRP for KPJ/Eason?  Start Eason.  J.Green as your 6th man.

Center...
We now see why we were given the #24 pick to take on Holmes.  Shot.  Done.  Maxi?  Shot.  Done.  Powell?  He didn't have a tremendous amount of talent as a baseline; now age has diminished even that greatly.  Lively?  He's so raw and foul-troubled.  This was a known fact, but out of necessity it seems we're going to run him out there as a starter.  This scares me.  Most starting centers don't get big minutes.  I really think we need a starting caliber C to platoon with Lively.
Thoughts on Zubac, Z.Collins, ???

SF will be very interesting to follow this year.   I just have a feeling Mavs don't think they have their long term starter at that position currently (I think they see Josh Green as heavy minute bench guy).  So the start of the season will be important for Josh to take that opportunity and run with it.  I was higher on Brunson's upside than I am with Green's, but the team had some of the same reservations on Brunson's role (and that bothered me so much ha).  Jalen took the opportunity and ran with it.  It just feels like the Mavs were looking for a starting SF this offseason (Bogdanovich, Bruce Brown, Dillon Brooks, Thybulle were the ones we heard about).  I think SF is the most likely position the team tries to use their assets to fill eventually.  Lets see if Green can change their mind.

I am not an expert on Omax prior to the draft.   Maybe he doesn't work out.  He probably will be outside of the main rotation to begin the year and may just get small doses of playing time.   I wouldn't discount him this year though.   I think he does a lot of things that will help this team once the game slows down for him a little.    His three point shot and ball handling looks a little rough and that will take time.   I just think he could provide some valuable things this team needs as the season goes along.

As far as Center goes, things get tricky.  You have to expect even in the best case Lively is going to have rough spots (games, week, weeks?).   82 games is a long season for a rookie.   My hope is Lively can provide 15-20 minutes of solid play.  Same for Dwight Powell.  Lets say that gives us 30 minutes of respectable center play.  The rest I think we see Grant and maybe Maxi paired together.   Grant can guard the big strong guy and Maxi can float a little and be the off ball shot blocker.   Maybe that is where Derrick Jones can find minutes in the grouping.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
https://x.com/mazurfocus/status/17125137...66291?s=46
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 12:16 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://x.com/mazurfocus/status/17125137...66291?s=46

Interesting.  I thought Miles deserved a closer look, but I found it interesting that he didn't enter any of the preseason games (i don't think).  I thought he was hurt though. 

I thought Dennis was going to get a two way spot.  I was sort of wondering if he was going to beat out AJ Lawson.  They play the same position and have similar weaknesses.   Dennis is just a bigger athlete.
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 12:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I thought Dennis was going to get a two way spot.  I was sort of wondering if he was going to beat out AJ Lawson.  They play the same position and have similar weaknesses.   Dennis is just a bigger athlete.

Could that mean that Jelly Walker is getting the third spot? Doesn't make a lot of sense to have both Miles and Jelly. 

Lawson, Dexter (and Jelly) are all older guys. Last year they had Dorsey on a two way deal. How much of a shot it is they will ever make it? I would prefer to take a shot with some of recently cut FRP that are still very young. Garuba, Primo, for example. There will still be several potentially interesting cuts before the season starts.
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 01:31 PM)omahen Wrote: Could that mean that Jelly Walker is getting the third spot? Doesn't make a lot of sense to have both Miles and Jelly. 

Lawson, Dexter (and Jelly) are all older guys. Last year they had Dorsey on a two way deal. How much of a shot it is they will ever make it? I would prefer to take a shot with some of recently cut FRP that are still very young. Garuba, Primo, for example. There will still be several potentially interesting cuts before the season star

I think we could use another possible center solution after seeing Homes and Maxi play in preseason.  I would also prefer to target a young player with upside rather than another 24-year old.  Garuba or Queta would have been good players to target. The Mavericks don't always take these things very seriously though.  Jelly Walker would be the ultimate Maverick move.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 02:08 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think we could use another possible center solution after seeing Homes and Maxi play in preseason.  I would also prefer to target a young player with upside rather than another 24-year old.  Garuba or Queta would have been good players to target. The Mavericks don't always take these things very seriously though.  Jelly Walker would be the ultimate Maverick move.

Yeah, this will be an interesting test.  Walker has looked good...on offense.  He is an instant spark.   Demaris said this summer that Walker has fans very high in the organization and would be surprised if he doesn't make the roster.   I am pretty confident Cuban is one of his fans.   The issue is he is a 5'10 gunner.  Tough to see a real route here.  Maybe I am wrong.   

Greg Brown could also be a name to remember.  He may not know how to play NBA basketball but was a highly rated prospect who has jumped around a little.   Maybe you see if you can develop him.   Jason Preston is a guy I would be interested in.  Another guard but bigger.   He was released by the Clippers.
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 02:08 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Garuba or Queta would have been good players to target.

I assumed we'd miss out on Garuba because we didn't have a big enough role to offer him and some rebuilding team with minutes to spare would pick him up, but once he signed with GSW I was pretty disappointed because he would have easily had more use here and it would have given a different looking young front court player that could have potentially played and developed alongside Lively.  Felt like a big miss IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 02:21 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I assumed we'd miss out on Garuba because we didn't have a big enough role to offer him and some rebuilding team with minutes to spare would pick him up, but once he signed with GSW I was pretty disappointed because he would have easily had more use here and it would have given a different looking young front court player that could have potentially played and developed alongside Lively.  Felt like a big miss IMO.

Yeah, it is one of my gripes.  This front office is pretty slow to move.   I was actually pretty impressed they moved quickly after the draft and signed Miles, who I had a draftable prospect.  It sounds like that may have been a poor move.   

This front office has had some solid undrafted moves.   Most will not make a dent in the NBA, but they found some value.   Eugene has stuck around a bit.  Carlik Jones as a G-league MVP I believe last year and Feron Hunt got a two way contract for a year.   Most of these guys will never make it, but it doesn't mean you don't try.
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 02:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, this will be an interesting test.  Walker has looked good...on offense.  He is an instant spark.   Demaris said this summer that Walker has fans very high in the organization and would be surprised if he doesn't make the roster.   I am pretty confident Cuban is one of his fans.   The issue is he is a 5'10 gunner.  Tough to see a real route here.  Maybe I am wrong.   

Greg Brown could also be a name to remember.  He may not know how to play NBA basketball but was a highly rated prospect who has jumped around a little.   Maybe you see if you can develop him.   Jason Preston is a guy I would be interested in.  Another guard but bigger.   He was released by the Clippers.

I was hopeful Greg Brown would show something in preseason but there's nothing there other than athleticism.  He should practice the high jump as he has no NBA future.

I think we're all tired of Mark Cuban making personnel decisions.  I wish we could draft a new owner. 

I'm not familiar with Jason Preston but I like the model of taking players who were drafted fairly high (early 2nd round) and giving them a second chance.  I also like Preston's stats from G-league-  a point guard with over 5 rebounds per game.   He hit over 36 percent from 3 and 84% at the line.  I would rather Jason Preston than Jelly Walker.  I'd really like another developmental center on a 2-way though.
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 02:21 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I assumed we'd miss out on Garuba because we didn't have a big enough role to offer him and some rebuilding team with minutes to spare would pick him up, but once he signed with GSW I was pretty disappointed because he would have easily had more use here and it would have given a different looking young front court player that could have potentially played and developed alongside Lively.  Felt like a big miss IMO.

He would have fit well here.  It's never surprising when good organizations (like GS) make smart moves. 

We've done some good things this summer but Garuba would have been another clever move.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 12:16 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://x.com/mazurfocus/status/17125137...66291?s=46

"I’m hearing from multiple sources that the Mavericks will waive Mike Miles Jr. and sign Dexter Dennis"

I'm wondering about the reliability of this report. Is this breaking news, or confusion over normal things being done?

They already had Dennis signed to a contract (Ex 10, with Frisco getting his GL rights if he's waived, and him probably getting a GL bonus for such a move). Has he done something so amazing already that they feel compelled to do more?

Miles has been on a 2-way (along with Lawson), and they are allowed 3. So if they want to "promote" Dennis to 2-way status, they don't have to waive anyone if they don't want to. Has he done something so bad already that they feel compelled to get rid of him?

They are also in the time of year where their Ex 10 players are going to be waived, to send them to Frisco. But it won't mean anything, really, when they get waived.
Like Reply
https://x.com/MavsPR/status/1713251311309795778?s=20

Mavs waive Mike Miles, Jelly Walker, and Joe Wieskamp. Kinda surprised about Miles.
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 01:06 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://x.com/MavsPR/status/1713251311309795778?s=20

Mavs waive Mike Miles, Jelly Walker, and Joe Wieskamp. Kinda surprised about Miles.

Tbh, I'm more surprised about Jelly Walker, Cuban's little buddy. Pleasantly surprised.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 10:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: SF will be very interesting to follow this year.   I just have a feeling Mavs don't think they have their long term starter at that position currently (I think they see Josh Green as heavy minute bench guy).  So the start of the season will be important for Josh to take that opportunity and run with it.  I was higher on Brunson's upside than I am with Green's, but the team had some of the same reservations on Brunson's role (and that bothered me so much ha).  Jalen took the opportunity and ran with it.  It just feels like the Mavs were looking for a starting SF this offseason (Bogdanovich, Bruce Brown, Dillon Brooks, Thybulle were the ones we heard about).  I think SF is the most likely position the team tries to use their assets to fill eventually.  Lets see if Green can change their mind.

I am not an expert on Omax prior to the draft.   Maybe he doesn't work out.  He probably will be outside of the main rotation to begin the year and may just get small doses of playing time.   I wouldn't discount him this year though.   I think he does a lot of things that will help this team once the game slows down for him a little.    His three point shot and ball handling looks a little rough and that will take time.   I just think he could provide some valuable things this team needs as the season goes along.

As far as Center goes, things get tricky.  You have to expect even in the best case Lively is going to have rough spots (games, week, weeks?).   82 games is a long season for a rookie.   My hope is Lively can provide 15-20 minutes of solid play.  Same for Dwight Powell.  Lets say that gives us 30 minutes of respectable center play.  The rest I think we see Grant and maybe Maxi paired together.   Grant can guard the big strong guy and Maxi can float a little and be the off ball shot blocker.   Maybe that is where Derrick Jones can find minutes in the grouping.

I love OMax, but without any ballhandling skills and shooting he'll never break into the rotation.  I'd almost play him as point forward for the Legends.

Ya, the center situation is abysmal.  Lively at most will give us 20 mins in 60 games.  That's only 1,200 minutes for the required 4,000 minutes at C.  Do we really think we can get those 2,800 from Powell, Holmes, and Maxi?
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Tbh, I'm more surprised about Jelly Walker, Cuban's little buddy. Pleasantly surprised.

Should NOT be a surprise. 
1 Mavs have 15. 
2 These end of the bench were players signed to be waived and then go to GL, as part of being waived. This is nothing more than the continuation of that plan, with the possible exception of Miles (who was signed as a 2-way).
Like Reply
(10-12-2023, 03:16 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He would have fit well here.  It's never surprising when good organizations (like GS) make smart moves. 

We've done some good things this summer but Garuba would have been another clever move.

That´s not even clever. That´s just common sense. The Mavs had more than the minimum to throw at every available center prospect to outbid teams that had more to offer (besides money). They just don´t want to be good. Garuba has always played well for Spain. He clearly plays with an edge. 

Bruno just anchored the biggest upset in European basketball with an true underdog 7th seed beating the three top seeds in the play-offs to win a national championships. Followed it up, playing the World Cup for Brazil, where he finished 23rd in PPG, 3rd in RPG and 17th in BPG. Not even worth a look over two very small guards that had no shot to crack the rotation anyway. Same last season with Bitadze. 

You can have all these guys for the minimum for test drives. Nobody says they´ll all be hits. 90% will be busts, so the odds are you need to sign 10 to find one. Not sign one every ten years.

Yet they have no problem to give away agent favour minimum contracts to guys like Markieff Morris. 

On every podcast you here: That cockroach Dwight Powell, you just can´t kill him. He´ll be starting for the Mavs again this season. Yeah that´s funny and a compliment to Powell perseverance, but it´s an embarrassment to Cuban and the Mavs. Literally all the (national) media thinks he´s a joke. Sadly his ego is too big to even care.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RGP1981
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 01:56 PM)F Gump Wrote: Should NOT be a surprise. 
1 Mavs have 15. 
2 These end of the bench were players signed to be waived and then go to GL, as part of being waived. This is nothing more than the continuation of that plan, with the possible exception of Miles (who was signed as a 2-way).
I think he was pleasantly surprised Jelly didn’t get the open 2 way spot. Put me down as pleasantly surprised as well. Ever since Singh I’ve just braced every year for that gimmick/Cuban must have move.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Interesting comments from Stein in this article. I assume from his podcast. A lot of smoke of the role they view best for Green imo.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...rie-irving
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 05:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Interesting comments from Stein in this article.  I assume from his podcast.  A lot of smoke of the role they view best for Green imo.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...rie-irving

Kidd is gonna Kidd
I don't feel like there's an ounce of justification for anyone but Green starting and playing starter minutes the first 1 to 2 months of the season. At that point maybe consider someone else
[-] The following 5 users Like Jym's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, Mavs2021, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply