Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away

Pretty late with this, but here you go for all you face blind people haha
[-] The following 3 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
RE: Luka/Kyrie...

My analogy is a band with 2 great guitar players. They can seamlessly switch back and forth between rhythm and lead; the listener doesn't hear the difference.

Offensively...
To not use Kyrie's handles (probably the greatest of all-time) is criminal. I call Luka a Point Small Forward because when he's not at the point he should be a Lebron-level SF. Luka HAS to learn to play off the ball.

Two comps that I can think of as a model for Luka/Kyrie is Joker/Murray and Giannis/Dame. Luka has to more model his game after more after Joker/Giannis than Steve Nash.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero
Like Reply

Coming back to the coaching topic. Even Rondo who certainly didn't leave on friendly terms points out that RC was in a different league when it comes to in game adjustments and play calling.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, khaled1987, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Go from Kidd to Rondo as head coach anyone?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-06-2023, 02:13 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Go from Kidd to Rondo as head coach anyone?

You might have found a rare person who would be a downgrade
[-] The following 5 users Like Jym's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I wouldn't be too hard on Omax. It was a rough outing and more will come. I want to get a good look at him, but I expect he is going to get regular minutes this year. I don't believe we will see him in the G league.

Mavs play again tomorrow. I really am not interested too much in Luka, Kyrie and Williams. I am sure they will play and it would be nice to see some connection, but i am much more interested in others.

I expect Hardy is going to lose out on minutes early in the year to Hardaway and Curry, but I want it to be a real battle. I would also like to see Exum get some minutes with other rotation players. Same with Holmes. Both may be out of the regular rotation, but I would like to see them get legit runs to see how they look.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Regarding Williams, if the plan is to play him above the break 80% of the time like he did in game 1, I sure hope his percentages improve from those zones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
If you could extract the energy of the Mavs org, invert it and use it to form one man.

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1710...74248?s=20
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
[Image: F7xzTNDbgAASoLH?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Pic goes hard.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 08:44 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: F7xzTNDbgAASoLH?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Pic goes hard.

Seems like the media department has decide who THEIR starters would be.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL
Like Reply
So what's everyone's top 10?

I feel like it should be...

Luka - Kyrie - Green - GWill - Lively
Exum - THJ - Omax - Maxi - Powell

Swap out Omax for Curry or Hardy when more shooting is needed
I already have way more clarity on what should happen this year than I did last year. There were just no correct answers
[-] The following 3 users Like Jym's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, The Jom
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 10:51 PM)Jym Wrote: So what's everyone's top 10?

I feel like it should be...

Luka - Kyrie - Green - GWill - Lively
Exum - THJ - Omax - Maxi - Powell

The Locked On guys did something similar to this topic.  It was more about whether we have 240 minutes covered by real NBA players.  David Locke does this analysis ever year and Dallas is one of four teams in the west that has the depth to cover 240 minutes.  After listening to their arguments, here is my thinking:

Center:  Lively 20, Powell 20, Maxi 8 

I think at this point Holmes gets played in case of foul trouble for Lively or injury trouble for Maxi.  He's expensive, but it is a real luxury to have someone as good as him for this role.

Big Forward:  Williams 28, Maxi 14, OMax 6

This gets Maxi to the 22-24 minutes range between the two positions.  Williams could certainly get to 30 or even 32 minutes.  The swing factor here is OMax.  I think OMax will get the rookie treatment in certain games where he gets a five minute run in the second quarter in certain games.  His 'shot' at real minutes will depend on growth and the health of Maxi.  He's not ready and Dallas can't afford two rookies getting heavy minutes.

Wing:  Josh 22, THJ 26

I don't know that it will split out exactly like this, but as long as Tim is on the team, he's going to get minutes.

Ball Handler:  Luka 34, Kyrie 30, Josh 6, (Someone 26)

To me this is the mystery.  I can see Josh getting some minutes as the second ball handler as Kidd moves the subs in and out.  That only leaves 26 minutes for Seth, Exum and Hardy.  Kidd has been quoted as saying Seth will be getting minutes.  Kidd has also said Exum is in the 10 man rotation.  

As I've listed it above, the top 10 are Lively, Powell, Maxi, GWill, Josh, THJ, Luka, Kyrie, Seth and Exum (with OMax getting a few rookie cameo's for short stints).  If that plays out correctly, Exum and Seth are splitting a limited number of minutes.  I've already pulled Luka back from 36 to 34 and Irving back from the 32/33 range in recent years to 30.  I really don't see where we get more minutes from if everyone is healthy.  I also don't see a consistent role for Hardy.  He has to beat out someone or someone has to get traded.  Maybe that trade happens this season.  Maybe he has to wait another year and that trade happens in the summer.  Its not like we have to rush him...just like we don't have to rush Omax either.  I think Hardy will get opportunities when either Luka or Kyrie is out.  They might jump him over the backups into the starting role temporarily to keep the rest of the rotation in tact.
Like Reply
I think Hardy is in the rotation somehow. At what expense? Or who's expense, I'm not sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:24 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I think Hardy is in the rotation somehow. At what expense? Or who's expense, I'm not sure.
I really hope so, but it’s not looking promising for him, IMO. I’d much rather have him looking for a shot than have THJ seeking his.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I really hope so, but it’s not looking promising for him, IMO. I’d much rather have him looking for a shot than have THJ seeking his.

I'd also rather him taking shots rather than Curry. I don't see the need for Curry on this team. Not with THJ and Hardy also on the roster.

This makes me feel like when they signed Seth first, they had other moves lined up that didn't happen.

Whether that be trading away THJ or someone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
To properly state minutes, you have to do total minutes by estimating their games played with minutes.  I split the minutes into 3 positions: Point, Wing, and Bigs.  Here's what I got...

Luka - 68gms, 36mins, 50%point , 6%wing
Kyrie - 65gms, 38mins, 13%point , 25%wing
Green - 65gms, 30mins, 10%point , 20%wing
Hardy - 65gms, 25mins, 9%point , 16%wing
Curry - 60gms, 16mins, 5%point , 10%wing
Exum - 50gms, 14mins, 14%point , 2%wing
THJ - 70gms, 15mins, 13%wing
DJJ - 60gms, 14mins, 5%wing , 5%bigs
Omax - 30gms, 15mins, 1%wing , 5%bigs
Gwill - 75gms, 30mins, 2%wing , 26%bigs
Maxi - 40gms, 25mins, 13%bigs
Morris - 50gms, 16mins, 10%bigs
Lively - 60gms, 20mins, 15%bigs
Powell - 75gms, 19mins, 18%bigs
Holmes - 41gms, 13mins, 7%bigs

Note: percentages are the teams total minutes at that position.  You have 1 point, 2 wing, and 2 bigs.  Example: Kyrie is playing 13% of the point minutes and 25% of wing (50% of total wing).
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:30 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I'd also rather him taking shots rather than Curry. I don't see the need for Curry on this team. Not with THJ and Hardy also on the roster.

This makes me feel like when they signed Seth first, they had other moves lined up that didn't happen.

Whether that be trading away THJ or someone else.

Curry will be used exclusively as catch/shoot for certain matchups.  He'll get some DNP, some 20mins.  I have Curry at 60gms/16mins.  I have Hardy at 65gms/25mins.
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The Locked On guys did something similar to this topic.  It was more about whether we have 240 minutes covered by real NBA players.  David Locke does this analysis ever year and Dallas is one of four teams in the west that has the depth to cover 240 minutes.  After listening to their arguments, here is my thinking:

Center:  Lively 20, Powell 20, Maxi 8 

I think at this point Holmes gets played in case of foul trouble for Lively or injury trouble for Maxi.  He's expensive, but it is a real luxury to have someone as good as him for this role.

Big Forward:  Williams 28, Maxi 14, OMax 6

This gets Maxi to the 22-24 minutes range between the two positions.  Williams could certainly get to 30 or even 32 minutes.  The swing factor here is OMax.  I think OMax will get the rookie treatment in certain games where he gets a five minute run in the second quarter in certain games.  His 'shot' at real minutes will depend on growth and the health of Maxi.  He's not ready and Dallas can't afford two rookies getting heavy minutes.

Wing:  Josh 22, THJ 26

I don't know that it will split out exactly like this, but as long as Tim is on the team, he's going to get minutes.

Ball Handler:  Luka 34, Kyrie 30, Josh 6, (Someone 26)

To me this is the mystery.  I can see Josh getting some minutes as the second ball handler as Kidd moves the subs in and out.  That only leaves 26 minutes for Seth, Exum and Hardy.  Kidd has been quoted as saying Seth will be getting minutes.  Kidd has also said Exum is in the 10 man rotation.  

As I've listed it above, the top 10 are Lively, Powell, Maxi, GWill, Josh, THJ, Luka, Kyrie, Seth and Exum (with OMax getting a few rookie cameo's for short stints).  If that plays out correctly, Exum and Seth are splitting a limited number of minutes.  I've already pulled Luka back from 36 to 34 and Irving back from the 32/33 range in recent years to 30.  I really don't see where we get more minutes from if everyone is healthy.  I also don't see a consistent role for Hardy.  He has to beat out someone or someone has to get traded.  Maybe that trade happens this season.  Maybe he has to wait another year and that trade happens in the summer.  Its not like we have to rush him...just like we don't have to rush Omax either.  I think Hardy will get opportunities when either Luka or Kyrie is out.  They might jump him over the backups into the starting role temporarily to keep the rest of the rotation in tact.

Two thoughts:

1) Omax role--I agree on the minutes.   I think he should start off in the hustle role.   It is not a high minute role.  Maybe bring him in when the other teams top wing scorer is near his rest.  Give him 3-4 minutes to hound this player.   OMAX likes to play like it is game 7 of the finals trying to be a pest.   I could see this be a role for him to start.  One caution though is he will need to be disiplined.  We will likely be in the penalty and these scorers are so tricky finding ways to get to the rim so he can't be baited to get into fouls.   On offense, they will put their best player on him to rest probably.   So, he will need to cut and be active.  He is pretty good at this.  This is the role I think he should begin in.

2) I want to see more of Exum with Kyrie.   I think that could be a fit to start the year.    With the second unit, it will be good to be able to play off Kyrie who will be looking to attack.     

Bonus thoughts:

3) Green shot 40% from 3 last year.   He shot less than 3 threes per game.   Do we think that number is high because he only takes wide open threes?   I like having a few players who don't throw up a shot on first touch...especially with some of our other gunners.   But I wonder if it would be smart to lower his percentage some and let him take higher quantity of 3s.   Right now, teams really don't need to defend his three because he typically only takes wide open threes.   I would love to see some games where he shoots 8-9 threes....even if he misses most of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 08:44 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: F7xzTNDbgAASoLH?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Pic goes hard.

(10-07-2023, 10:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Seems like the media department has decide who THEIR starters would be.
Why is Luka's number the only one not covered? Is there any chance he changes from his trademark "77"?

Why does the photo's focal point, Luka, look like he slept in his uniform the night before picture day? You'd think PR would be more on the ball.
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 12:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Two thoughts:

1) Omax role--I agree on the minutes.   I think he should start off in the hustle role.   It is not a high minute role.  Maybe bring him in when the other teams top wing scorer is near his rest.  Give him 3-4 minutes to hound this player.   OMAX likes to play like it is game 7 of the finals trying to be a pest.   I could see this be a role for him to start.  One caution though is he will need to be disiplined.  We will likely be in the penalty and these scorers are so tricky finding ways to get to the rim so he can't be baited to get into fouls.   On offense, they will put their best player on him to rest probably.   So, he will need to cut and be active.  He is pretty good at this.  This is the role I think he should begin in.

2) I want to see more of Exum with Kyrie.   I think that could be a fit to start the year.    With the second unit, it will be good to be able to play off Kyrie who will be looking to attack.     

Bonus thoughts:

3) Green shot 40% from 3 last year.   He shot less than 3 threes per game.   Do we think that number is high because he only takes wide open threes?   I like having a few players who don't throw up a shot on first touch...especially with some of our other gunners.   But I wonder if it would be smart to lower his percentage some and let him take higher quantity of 3s.   Right now, teams really don't need to defend his three because he typically only takes wide open threes.   I would love to see some games where he shoots 8-9 threes....even if he misses most of them.

I have OMax at 30games/15minutes.  I think it'll be fewer games with more minutes than is being discussed.  It'll come with injuries and after his getting big minutes for the Legends.
Like Reply