Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
The athletic says Dallas is bringing Greg Brown and Joe Weiscamp to camp
Like Reply
(08-07-2023, 07:04 AM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Camp Fodder, we got the team we will start the season with. They will not be adding anything else. The MBT is done till they have a chance to see what they have on hand to use. The back court is crowded already. As for the center position they have Lively, Kleber, McGee, Holmes, and Powell. 5 guys and if you have to pay McGee you might as well play him to get your moneys worth instead of cutting him. He is at worst an insurance policy being he is 270 so you can play him against certain types of players that could otherwise kill us and he is not so bad he cannot serve as insurance. Now that PHO signed Azabuike we have nothing but WCS out there to add in free agenecy. Lively will be forced to play defense against these bigger bodies and get a master class on the NBA center position which is a good thing if you ask me but if every team is trying to match up with bigger centers you have to play big so your arsenal of small ball centers is wasted. Small ball works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Kleber and Holmes both have shooting skills so they can stretch things. Powell's limited benefit is as a roll guy so if we develop that ability with Lively there is zero reason to play him. I am wondering if other teams might be interested in trading for Powell. Houston supposedly offered him a contract. I wonder what kind of chips we can get and if we can get some bean dip with that order.

Willie signed with a club in the Italian league.
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 01:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The athletic says Dallas is bringing Greg Brown and Joe Weiscamp to camp

I am not an expert on either.    Brown was a former top 10 recruit who spent a year at Texas and jumped to the pros after a pretty unspectacular first year.   He is someone that has all the athleticism but just isn't very skilled yet.  Only 21 years old.   Probably a long shot for a roster spot, but maybe he is someone you decide you want to invest some time in with the G league (Is he two way eligible?)

Weiskamp is a little older (23) and is the more skilled player.  Pretty good athlete too.  He is probably one of those guys good enough to be on an NBA roster but not much to seperate from others.  a lot of guys like that.  Some find a spot, others never do.
Like Reply
I enjoyed watching Weiskamp play as a multi skilled wing at Iowa. He has had a couple of NBA looks but I don’t have much current info to offer. I will be rooting for my Hawkeye and wouldn’t be surprised if he earned 9-10th guy status.
Like Reply
With the addition of Brown and Weiskamp, does that mean we are at our camp limit (if McGee is included) of 21 players? I am sure you can waive one of these players, but not sure if that is something done at bad faith???

All in all, I doubt the camp invites ever turn into anything, but some interesting filler names. No problem with the fringe invites.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...04736?s=20

Mavs signed DJJ
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Kidnova, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
We have some news! I look forward to the details.
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 05:23 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...04736?s=20

Mavs signed DJJ

Interesting. Kind of fells like a 1-year minimum. Super into that.
Like Reply
Turning into a really deep team
Especially compared to the end of last year. Just interesting that we're going to have multiple guys planted on the bench who could play 20+ minutes on a winning team. Wonder if some type of consolidation trade is in the plans
Like Reply
i'm ready for the Omax vs DJJ bench minutes debate already.
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 05:42 PM)Jym Wrote: Wonder if some type of consolidation trade is in the plans

I’m a little surprised they are carrying 15 players.  Of course, it might not stay that way.  Was this also our last roster spot.  Asking for a friend who was hoping for a S&T.

If the minimum, then we are $2mm under the tax.  Feels more like a “we are done” move than “another move is coming” move.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 06:08 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: i'm ready for the Omax vs DJJ bench minutes debate already.

The answer is an enthusiastic "both."
Like Reply
This is one of the better, more realistic views on the Mavs I've seen in some time. I'm not the biggest MacMahon fan around, but he's right about most of this, and I think people should give a watch/listen. 

https://youtu.be/BlLBvBEdD80
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 05:23 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...04736?s=20

Mavs signed DJJ

Perfect!!  Outstanding move.
Like Reply

Mavs signed DJJ

Awesome news!  Several of us had been hoping for DJJ.  I think he fits perfectly with this roster as the 4.

I see he and Grant Williams as being a nice replacement pair for Reggie Bullock and Christian Wood.  I think it's a significant upgrade overall.

I think DJJ at PF and Grant Williams as a small-ball center would actually work well together.  Williams provides elite spacing but is strong enough to match up with a lot of centers.  Jones provides athleticism and some rim protection and is an excellent lob threat.  They will complement each other.  

I think this completes a great off-season for the Mavericks.  We have become more athletic, better defensively and deeper all in a single off-season.  We are also a significantly younger team than we were last year.  

I think Nico deserves a lot of credit and I think the Dennis Lindsay addition may be a turning point in Mavericks history.  I also give some credit to Mark Cuban for allowing the professionals to make calculated, intelligent maneuvers this off-season.  I'm really looking forward to this season and I actually hope we don't make any further moves until the season begins.  Let's see what we have with this group.  If a weakness emerges, we can look at an upgrade mid-season or closer to the trade deadline.

The future is very bright.
[-] The following 11 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, rocky164, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 07:01 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think he fits perfectly with this roster as the 4.

This is the part most don't see coming. The reason he isn't a bigger deal is that he's built like a 3/2, but he's really more of a 4. If the plan is to play him there, he will fit great, especially as you suggest, with either Grant Williams or Kleber (both shooters) at center.
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 07:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is the part most don't see coming. The reason he isn't a bigger deal is that he's built like a 3/2, but he's really more of a 4. If the plan is to play him there, he will fit great, especially as you suggest, with either Grant Williams or Kleber (both shooters) at center.

Shams tweet went as far as listing him as a F/C which I found very interesting...
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 07:13 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Shams tweet went as far as listing him as a F/C which I found very interesting...

Yes, his value here is as a screener/vertical threat. I think people need to wrap their minds around that early or they'll be pissed at how it goes for him here. 

On the other hand, when they're on defense, I think he can easily guard down, which makes him a pretty decent fit on a Luka team.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, mvossman
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 07:01 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Awesome news!  Several of us had been hoping for DJJ.  I think he fits perfectly with this roster as the 4.

I see he and Grant Williams as being a nice replacement pair for Reggie Bullock and Christian Wood.  I think it's a significant upgrade overall.

I think DJJ at PF and Grant Williams as a small-ball center would actually work well together.  Williams provides elite spacing but is strong enough to match up with a lot of centers.  Jones provides athleticism and some rim protection and is an excellent lob threat.  They will complement each other.  

I think this completes a great off-season for the Mavericks.  We have become more athletic, better defensively and deeper all in a single off-season.  We are also a significantly younger team than we were last year.  

I think Nico deserves a lot of credit and I think the Dennis Lindsay addition may be a turning point in Mavericks history.  I also give some credit to Mark Cuban for allowing the professionals to make calculated, intelligent maneuvers this off-season.  I'm really looking forward to this season and I actually hope we don't make any further moves until the season begins.  Let's see what we have with this group.  If a weakness emerges, we can look at an upgrade mid-season or closer to the trade deadline.

The future is very bright.

Kinda crazy this is the same front office who pulled off that failure of last summer
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-09-2023, 07:30 PM)Jym Wrote: Kinda crazy this is the same front office who pulled off that failure of last summer

Yeah, it's tempting to credit Lindsay with a lot of this, since he's new. 

But, it could be someone else doing less, like Cuban, for example. 

Then again, maybe Harrison is just starting to figure things out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply