Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-12-2023, 01:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So what you’re saying is that the Mavs need to trade for Capela…

Not sure I follow.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 01:49 PM)RDB Wrote: Not sure I follow.

It was an insertion of levity, my guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RDB
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 01:27 PM)omahen Wrote: My only real problem in the Wood situation is, why Mavs traded for him in the first place. They knew who he is. Sweeney worked with him and I am sure they have plenty of contacts to ask for an honest opinion. So if Wood is a giant pain in the ass in the locker room, they should have known before and avoided him. Dumping 12 mil of bad contracts does not cost a FRP, there would be plenty of other ways to do that and keep the pick. Mavs just took 24 mil of bad contract for similarly placed pick.

The moment they started the McGee will be a starter thing, I knew this will not end well. Wood is clearly way more talented. And even if his numbers don't necessarily contribute to winning, the counting numbers still count. I think Mavs did a lot to tank his value, even if that was not their intention. And by doing this, they also hurt themselves. In my opinion, the smartest way would be to feature him from day 1 and then flip him at TDL. Or not trade for him at all.

In any case, this is all water under the bridge. Wood and Mavs are done and no one will SnT for him. I just hope Mavs learned something from it

Well said.  There is no evidence of Wood being a cancer.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have spent a FRP on him.  The only knock we can have with Wood last year is that he was cocky, wanted to start, and missed defensive assignments.  Professional athletes are cocky and want to start.  So, he missed defensive assignments.  Otherwise, it was a good fit. 

I've already established what kind of a human being Kidd is.  I said it at the time and have been proven right, it was a horrible hiring.  We haven't even mentioned the coaching malpractice is having ZERO scheme on how to fit Kyrie with Luka.  They'd stare at each other not knowing what to do because there was only one ball.  Kyrie gained a ton of respect from me last year.

The McGee is going to start guarantee was also FO/coaching malpractice.  You trade for 27yo Wood, give up a FRP, and pay him $14.2m.  Yet you're going to bench him for your 34yo $5.7m dinosaur?  Again, malpractice.
Like Reply
Got it…I didn’t take it as being a shot. I TRY to always assume positive intent. I just wasn’t sure if I missed something as I am mostly a lurker and occasional poster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDB's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 01:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Can Wood sign a deal with the Shanghai Sharks so we can forever stop talking about the loser.

Can we document everyone's opinion on Wood and revisit the subject mid-season?

My opinion: Wood is a starting flex, stretch F-C who can reliably get you 18pts/9rbs/1.5blks in 30mins a game at 38%3pt.  He has some rim protection skills, but is a subpar defender.  Given his athletic ability, however, you can scheme him into a good team defense.  In today's market he's a $15-$18m player, but does not have that value currently given his time in DAL last year.
Like Reply
If Wood wants to bet on himself and get paid next year he should take his talents to south beach. Some good defenders and a coach with an IQ above room temperature.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 3 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 01:44 PM)RDB Wrote: Where it went off the rails is the same place all of these things go off the rails.  Someone states an opinion and others minimize the opinions.  That puts the person on the defense, others pile on, examples are tailored to fit a narrative, and it eventually gets personal.  It’s social media/message board 101.

Instead of minimizing others opinions, just share your opinions and accept that others may may not be of the same belief.  And it certainly doesn’t help the discussion to say things like “we get it, you hate Kidd”.

Edit: This was not directed at you specifically Kidnova.  It was just a reply to the bold portion of your post and the overall tone of the discussion.

Yup.  I base my opinions on facts, not conjecture.  If someone challenges me, I'm coming back with an avalanche of facts.  Conjecture is fine, but again needs to be based upon facts.  Conjecture should be reading between the lines of facts, not facts based upon conjecture.  At any given time, I'll yield and admit to being wrong when proven to be.  It's about getting it right, not being right.

This Wood thing grates on me because I see posters here simply parroting Kidd without really analyzing those repeated assertions.  Bottom line is that Wood proven he should have either started or been 6th man.  The fact that he wasn't isn't on him.  Look at the 17 games he started.  Facts prove that opinion.
Like Reply
Stop it, please
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Mavsdemon, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 01:59 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote:
Can we document everyone's opinion on Wood and revisit the subject mid-season?

My opinion: Wood is a starting flex, stretch F-C who can reliably get you 18pts/9rbs/1.5blks in 30mins a game at 38%3pt.  He has some rim protection skills, but is a subpar defender.  Given his athletic ability, however, you can scheme him into a good team defense.  In today's market he's a $15-$18m player, but does not have that value currently given his time in DAL last year.

Good description. IMO, there was/is something un-coachable about him. He obviously didn't respond to whatever DAL needed him to do. It can't just be "Kidd is a dic-tator". There has to be something that caused nobody else to promote someone with his athleticism as part of a winning culture. Hate to lose him for nothing, but it doesn't look like there is a market for his services.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:05 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: If Wood wants to bet on himself and get paid next year he should take his talents to south beach. Some good defenders and a coach with an IQ above room temperature.

You are 100% correct.  MIA would be so ideal for him.  In the D.Robinson role he'd excel, better than D.Robinson. 

I think a lot of teams are in a holding pattern on signing Wood until Dame and Harden find their next home, not to mention other moves that need to be made to shed salary.  I can't see Wood signing for anything less than $10m.  The franchises currently in limbo:
PHI
MIA
BOS
POR
LAC
TOR
NOP
DAL
CHA
...in other words, like 1/3 of the league
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:08 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Yup.  I base my opinions on facts, not conjecture.  If someone challenges me, I'm coming back with an avalanche of facts.  Conjecture is fine, but again needs to be based upon facts.  Conjecture should be reading between the lines of facts, not facts based upon conjecture.  At any given time, I'll yield and admit to being wrong when proven to be.  It's about getting it right, not being right.

This Wood thing grates on me because I see posters here simply parroting Kidd without really analyzing those repeated assertions.  Bottom line is that Wood proven he should have either started or been 6th man.  The fact that he wasn't isn't on him.  Look at the 17 games he started.  Facts prove that opinion.

You say this, but your belief that all of this is on Kidd is just as much conjecture as those arguing the other side.  None of us were in the room, so none of us know for sure what happened.  There is history on both sides, whether people want to admit it or not, but in the end it doesn't matter because Wood's time as a Mav is over, for whatever reason.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:16 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Good description. IMO, there was/is something un-coachable about him. He obviously didn't respond to whatever DAL needed him to do. It can't just be "Kidd is a dic-tator". There has to be something that caused nobody else to promote someone with his athleticism as part of a winning culture. Hate to lose him for nothing, but it doesn't look like there is a market for his services.

1/3 of the league is currently in signing limbo.  He'll sign for at least $10m when all the tetris pieces fall.
Like Reply
In other news, TMac said the Mavs FO whispered that trading Reggie was a blessing so that Kidd couldn’t play him over Green anymore and a few days later said they might want to trade Green because he could command up to 20M/yr next year.

I wish I had TMac’s job!
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Teams, players, media and agents all have their own agenda. I think we all accept that here.

I have a suspicion that a lot of you blindly accept the information when it fits your narrative.

As outsiders we will never know the actual truth about what goes on in the NBA.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:18 PM)Kidnova Wrote: You say this, but your belief that all of this is on Kidd is just as much conjecture as those arguing the other side.  None of us were in the room, so none of us know for sure what happened.  There is history on both sides, whether people want to admit it or not, but in the end it doesn't matter because Wood's time as a Mav is over, for whatever reason.

You can't compare Kidd's past of being a prick, putting players in the hospital, and HOFers wanting to fight him to Wood's immaturity and unprofessionalism.  They're not equal.  IMO it's 75% on Kidd, 25% on Wood for not conforming to Kidd.

I good coach can get maximum production out of players regardless of how difficult they are.  Look at Kerr and D.Green.  Spoelstra and Butler; Jimmy was tearing down teammates and yelling at the owner in MIN.  I remember screaming that we needed to trade for Butler, but was debated by everyone that he was a cancer.

Kidd/Wood is analogous to Nellie/Terry, Avery/Daniels/Howard, and Carisle/RoddyB.  Nellie was butthurt for losing Nash and refused to work with combo guard Terry.  Avery is more of a reverend  than coach and hated that Daniels and Howard smoked weed like Cheech and Willie combined.  Carlisle for some reason held RoddyB back until his injury proved Carlisle right.  Those are all coaching failures.
Like Reply
Also, my last post was not directed at you Smitty. You just happened to post in between the time I started typing and hit post.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 11:09 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: So we spent roster assets and a FRP for someone who was *known to be a coach/lockerroom cancer?  Think, man.  There were absolutely ZERO such allegations approaching that.  There is ZERO evidence that he was anything but hated by Kidd.  All of this is conjecture.  ALL.

Wood was very much a late bloomer.  
* He was undrafted.
* Played 8.5mins in 17 games rookie year, 2015/16.
* Played 8.2mins in 13 games 2nd year, 2016/17.
* Out of the league in 3rd year, 2017/18.
* Played 11.9 mins in 21 games 4th year, 2017/18.

--It is ONLY at this point that you can say his NBA career started, 5th year, 24yo
* Played 21.4mins in 62 games for DET 1st year.  13.1pts/6.3rbs/0.9blks/38.6%3pt
--Signs FA contract with HOU, 3yrs/$41m
* Played 32.1mins in 41 games for HOU 2nd year.  21pts/9.6rbs/1.2blks/37.4%3pt
* Played 30.8mins in 68 games for HOU 3rd year.  17.9pts/10.1rbs/1.0blks/39.0%3pt
--At 26yo and HOU having rookie stud Sengun and drafting JSJ, HOU trades Wood to DAL
* Played 25.9mins in 67 games for DAL 4th year.  16.6pts/7.3rbs/1.1blks/37.6%3pt

So...  in 4 years as a steady NBA roster player, he left DET for FA and was Traded to Dallas.  The ONLY team that "got rid of him" was HOU, who got a FRP for him.  Does this sound like a cancer who keeps getting kicked out of locker rooms?  Why did DAL give up a FRP if that was the case???

As a steady NBA roster player:
4 years, 17.2pts/8.3rbs/1.0blks/38.4%3pt

IMO Wood should be used as M.Harrell was used when he was 6MOY.  He can come in at either the 4 or 5, shifting the floor lineup however fits the game action.

It's this discussion AGAIN???? AFter again, and again, and again???? Sorry dude, gotta put you on ignore. Wood is no longer a Mav, and I don't really care about the discussion of who he is or who did what to whom, supposedly. It's not changing anyone's view of him at all, and it's of no relevance to the team now. Good luck to him, and it's time to move on from worrying about him.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:36 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Also, my last post was not directed at you Smitty. You just happened to post in between the time I started typing and hit post.

I didn’t think it was. I see the conversation that’s being had here. I want no part of it. Just tried to change the subject with some Green talk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
Grant Williams deal is official.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, Kidnova
Like Reply
Current roster:

Kyrie | Curry | Exum
Luka | Hardy
Green | THJ | *4.6M Player*
GWill | Kleber | OMax