Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-03-2023, 10:06 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am really trying to read if this is legit intel or intel from the past or just educational guessing.   Bamba is tough for me.  I think he never mastered the simple stuff and that is why he is looking for a job for probably under 5 million.  If he did the simple stuff well, he would be a player every team wants.   Only 25 still.   Way too much pick and pop for me...despite having a nice touch.  It he instead played like Powell or Gobert and went to the rim hard, it would be so much better.   

Stein's comment (and I have no idea if the above screenshot is legit) is weird.  So if they moved two centers, then Bamba could be an option?  What happens if they brought in another center?  Or is he talking the center lineup would be Lively, Powell and Bamba?  That seems pretty risky.

He is saying that centers like Bamba don't want to come to Dallas, because they want minutes and don't see them with all the centers Mavs have.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Stein said a few other interesting things.

Mavs probably don’t have enough to trade for Allen IF Cleveland decided to move him.

Mavs having trouble finding Hardaway takers.

Also mentioned Mavs would be open to helping facilitate the Dame trade but it kind of felt like a “mavs would be doing their jobs” sort of answer, nothing really concrete
Like Reply
Did Dropping Dimes just for real predict PJ to Dallas? That would be the best case I think outside of trading for a top big wing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
I honestly prefer PJ to GWill.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 12:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Did Dropping Dimes just for real predict PJ to Dallas?  That would be the best case I think outside of trading for a top big wing.

Tried to skim through the 376 posts in Stein’s Q&A.  There is a common theme between him and Cato…THJ is the outgoing if Dallas can find someone to take him.  Charlotte could probably use THJ more than PJ and visa versa for Dallas.  If Dropping Dimes is right, more likely a trade than a straight MLE offer.  The question to me is whether it is just two guys or something bigger (like Hayward).
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Smoke everywhere now on twitter suggesting PJ to Dallas. For what? I don’t know. He’s probably just considered redundant to Miller by COH, so why pay him? Also heard he has some weird Zion-light personal stuff. He passed my eye test but not the statistical test. In fact, most the data is surprisingly mediocre. But he fills a need perfectly and is young and possibly ready to break out a little. DFS wasn’t really that great either, just a passable but legit rotation piece who could meet the core needs for an important role — and it made a big difference. This seems real. Only problem is I no longer know who the Hell is the real Dropping Dimes?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 01:07 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Smoke everywhere now on twitter suggesting PJ to Dallas.  For what? I don’t know.

This seems real.  Only problem is I no longer know who the Hell is the real Dropping Dimes?

I mentioned BYC yesterday.  It wouldn’t be an issue here.  Charlotte is enough under the cap to pay PJ about the same $18mm THJ makes (don’t know if he’ll get that much or not.  Just pointing out the numbers).  A direct one for one for THJ at the same money still preserves all of the other MLE and trade possibilities we’ve been discussing.  This would move a SG/SF resource to a PF/small-ball Center resource.  We’d still be in position to shop for a center.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ThisIStheYear, Tyler
Like Reply
Yes to PJ! That would be a huge win. I like Jarrett Allen but that’s not the way to spend our limited assets. Let’s see what we have in Lively, who may wind up being a turbo-charged Jarrett Allen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I don’t see a reason for Cha to say yes. I also think the 27 is too much compensation. However, expanding it to be able to dump THJ, Holmes and McGee (would have to add Bullock too for salary matching) for Hayward is plenty of compensation for that pick. If Bullock was going to be a good trade piece at the TDL, Hayward is a bigger piece.

Edit: An almost exact salary match would have PJ starting at $14.6M. Go from there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
PJ may be gettable now that Miles Bridges is back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
And I've seen reports that Charlotte has Grant Williams (a Charlotte native) as a target.
Would make sense for them to swap PJ for THJ.
And an even better trade for them is if they get the Mavs 2027 pick.

Stings to lose a pick but Hayward+PJ for THJ+McGee+Bullock+Holmes+27 evens out
You can even swap Bullock or Holmes with Wood.
Like Reply
I have watched very little of Washington. I thought defense was something he was known for but I've heard sources online saying he doesn't bring much defense at all. What's the analysis on him defensively? Based on his offensive stats he's not someone that looks very interesting if he isn't bringing defense, unless we are just dumping contracts for him and not spending any assets like a FRP.
Like Reply
I had PJ way ahead of GW on my wish list and if we did this deal we would be so blessed. To liberate that much cap space while adding a great PF/SF like PJ I would be extremely happy. That would make this offseason the greatest ever.

Adding a center would be easier if we did seek to throw out some of the excess and I hear that Houston wanted to take Powell on for a lot more $$$ . Why don't we send him down there so he can get paid more. How selfish of us to try and insist that he stay on board we could do a trade and swap out Boban for Dwight.
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 03:07 AM)myconsumerclub Wrote: I had PJ way ahead of GW on my wish list and if we did this deal we would be so blessed. To liberate that much cap space while adding a great PF/SF like PJ I would be extremely happy. That would make this offseason the greatest ever.

Adding a center would be easier if we did seek to throw out some of the excess and I hear that Houston wanted to take Powell on for a lot more $$$ . Why don't we send him down there so he can get paid more. How selfish of us to try and insist that he stay on board we could do a trade and swap out Boban for Dwight.

Think bigger...
McGee for Boban
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 02:03 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: PJ may be gettable now that Miles Bridges is back.

Miles Bridges is actually the opposite of "back", considering Charlotte. They didn't agree on the extension, so he took his QO and will be UFA next season. It doesn't seem Charlotte values him highly in their long term plans.

Could be though, that Charlotte is more after Grant Williams. Not really sure why not stick with their own guy, unless perhaps PJ prefers to be elsewhere.

I have also seen Hollinger saying he doesn't bring much on defense. I haven't seen him enough to be able to judge, but he always looked interesting. If Charlotte is willing to part with him for THJ, I would be all over it. I wouldn't give up the 2027 pick, though, even if we include expiring Hayward and dump our remaining trash. If at least Charlotte would send some lesser assets back, some protected future FRP or something. 

btw, dropping dimes also mentioned Mavs in Siakam conversations, along with Knicks and Atlanta. Not really sure, how we could challenge offers they could put on the table.
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 03:59 AM)omahen Wrote: Miles Bridges is actually the opposite of "back", considering Charlotte. They didn't agree on the extension, so he took his QO and will be UFA next season. It doesn't seem Charlotte values him highly in their long term plans.

Could be though, that Charlotte is more after Grant Williams. Not really sure why not stick with their own guy, unless perhaps PJ prefers to be elsewhere.

I have also seen Hollinger saying he doesn't bring much on defense. I haven't seen him enough to be able to judge, but he always looked interesting. If Charlotte is willing to part with him for THJ, I would be all over it. I wouldn't give up the 2027 pick, though, even if we include expiring Hayward and dump our remaining trash. If at least Charlotte would send some lesser assets back, some protected future FRP or something. 

btw, dropping dimes also mentioned Mavs in Siakam conversations, along with Knicks and Atlanta. Not really sure, how we could challenge offers they could put on the table.

Ok let me get in on the PJ debate. Let me start with saying that I would love to see PJ in Dallas. 6'7 with a 7'2-7'3 wingspan. Here you have Vecenie talking about him at the beggining of last season, just so you get a sense of his offensive game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlg608Iu7Ds

On defense he is a solid piece. He has the athletic ability and IQ to be an above average defender. He is able to switch 1-5, he isn't exactly an all defensive team defender, but he was solid in the few games I have watched(you need to know that the Hornets were a$$ on defense, even more than the Mavs Big Grin
If the Mavs get PJ and Thybulle this would be an A+ offseason for me
[-] The following 2 users Like juanc's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 04:08 AM)juanc Wrote: On defense he is a solid piece. 

Thanks for the info. This is the only issue, I really have. Considering what Mavs need with Luka and Kyrie, is "solid on defense" good enough? Offensively I think he is a great fit.
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 04:24 AM)omahen Wrote: Thanks for the info. This is the only issue, I really have. Considering what Mavs need with Luka and Kyrie, is "solid on defense" good enough? Offensively I think he is a great fit.

The Mavs just went to WCF a year ago with Bullock, DFS and Maxi beeing their 3 best defenders, I think that PJ can and will be at least a Bullock level defensive player in the right system. He is a guy that can switch all across the boar, and that fits really well in the Mavs defensive scheme.

Also I think that most of fans are forgetting the biggest addition to the Mavs defense this year, and it's Josh Green. With the jump he has made last year, and this summer he once again went to Vegas as soon as the season was over. He is a hard worker and I think we'll see a great jump from him once again.

All in all the Mavs aren't a contender this year IMO. A competitive team? Yes, but a real contender? No. But Nico and the crew were/are still making the right moves to position themselves to jump into that contention status.
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 04:41 AM)juanc Wrote: The Mavs just went to WCF a year ago with Bullock, DFS and Maxi beeing their 3 best defenders, I think that PJ can and will be at least a Bullock level defensive player in the right system. He is a guy that can switch all across the boar, and that fits really well in the Mavs defensive scheme.

Also I think that most of fans are forgetting the biggest addition to the Mavs defense this year, and it's Josh Green. With the jump he has made last year, and this summer he once again went to Vegas as soon as the season was over. He is a hard worker and I think we'll see a great jump from him once again.

All in all the Mavs aren't a contender this year IMO. A competitive team? Yes, but a real contender? No. But Nico and the crew were/are still making the right moves to position themselves to jump into that contention status.

The first part I agree. But that WCF also showed Mavs are quite far from real contention. Also, basically everything went well for Mavs in that run. They were shooting lights out and had no injuries. Since than, they replaced Brunson with Irving and I think this might be a step down defensively. Point I am trying to say - can Mavs be true contenders with just ok or even good defenders on the other three positions or do they need at least a couple of all-defense guys to be able to field a contender level defense?

As for last paragraph. As it is, Mavs are approximately same as last season. Even if everything goes well, can't see them higher than lets say 4th seed in the West. If things don't go as planned, I can also easily see them out of play-in. Looking forward to additional moves we are all waiting for, that will change that outlook.
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 12:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Did Dropping Dimes just for real predict PJ to Dallas?  That would be the best case I think outside of trading for a top big wing.

100 % Fake account. Only 20 is the real account. Other numbers are straight fake.

But he seems to unfollowed the Hornets acc. Has Dallas, Tx in his bio etc. pp. Tho something weird is going on. That also caught the Hornets fans attention at least.

Nico getting PJ for THJ no picks or only the 2030 2nd rounder would be a master class. Wink wink deal and pulling out of Grant W. Tho the Hornets can offer him 15-18 mill per (he is from Charlotte) which the Celtics probably don't match. Next send Bullock to Sixers for Zubac in the Harden deal. And sign Thybulle for MLE.

No other wishes  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply