Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(06-24-2023, 12:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not that long ago he was playing small ball center for the Nets. Basically the modern day dream of a versatile positionless player that can play any given role depending on the teams needs.

With Kyrie for some of that time.
Like Reply
1 I would love for them to move Holmes, but don't see an angle. Too much money, too iffy in value.

2 Bullock/McGee for Capella in June works if you increase the RB g'tee to 8.25M.

After a s-w of RB, ATL is under the tax.

Upgrade at C, and opens minutes for Brown.

Hasn't Capella in HOU shown he can be of value in a Luka-type offense?
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Would love Bruce Brown. Even playing alongside our very own in house “Bruce Brown,” Josh Green.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:02 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: With Kyrie for some of that time.

Kyrie recruits him to come to DAL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: 1 I would love for them to move Holmes, but don't see an angle. Too much money, too iffy in value.

2 Bullock/McGee for Capella in June works if you increase the RB g'tee to 8.25M.

I like the time-frame of the remaining 2 years for both Capela and Holmes.  THJ expires at the same time.  I like collecting some expiring contracts for next summer and the 2025 TDL when we will have access to picks in 2025 and 2027.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, rocky164
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 12:44 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Tyler has been promoting a plan where we flip Holmes for Kuzma.  More would need to be added.  While I don't support Gafford added to what we have, I would support it if it were him instead of Holmes rather than in addition to Holmes.

As an example, Kuzma (starting at $28mm) + Gafford for THJ/Green/McGee/Holmes is an exact salary match which keeps the MLE on the table for a guy like Bruce Brown. Washington gets several players with shorter deals for two guys they may not want to keep anyway now that they're in full tank mode. And Dallas gets two starters.

And no matter whether you believe that specific iteration has merit, I think the fact that Kidd has a history with Kuzma deserves our attention.
Like Reply
Interesting note on Brown. I just think you are going to have difficulty taking him away from Denver with just the MLE. Might as well try though.

It would mean two things for me, 1) we would need another move. I think the PF position still needs to be addressed. And 2) We are looking to move off from Bullock either via trade or waive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
Three players I would give good money not to hear as possibilities for the Mavs anymore: Collins, Ayton, and Kuzma. I think they and their salaries would only serve to make this team worse. I do not like them in a box, I do not like them with a fox. No no no. Winning players only, regardless of contract size.
[-] The following 6 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Branduil, ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, mvossman, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Three players I would give good money not to hear as possibilities for the Mavs anymore: Collins, Ayton, and Kuzma. I think they and their salaries would only serve to make this team worse. I do not like them in a box, I do not like them with a fox. No no no. Winning players only, regardless of contract size.

I particularity feel that way about Kuzma. I don't want any part of him
[-] The following 5 users Like Jym's post:
  • DrMav, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:28 PM)Tyler Wrote: As an example, Kuzma (starting at $28mm) + Gafford for THJ/Green/McGee/Holmes is an exact salary match which keeps the MLE on the table for a guy like Bruce Brown. Washington gets several players with shorter deals for two guys they may not want to keep anyway now that they're in full tank mode. And Dallas gets two starters.

And no matter whether you believe that specific iteration has merit, I think the fact that Kidd has a history with Kuzma deserves our attention.

Kuzma at 28 seems like the kind of contract teams are desperately trying to dump right now.
[-] The following 5 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, Luka77, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: 1 I would love for them to move Holmes, but don't see an angle. Too much money, too iffy in value.

Reports are that we could not get Capela for a 10 to 15 trade down without adding Green or Hardy.  Not sure why we would be able to get him now with just our junk.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:32 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Interesting note on Brown.  I just think you are going to have difficulty taking him away from Denver with just the MLE.  Might as well try though.

It would mean two things for me, 1) we would need another move.  I think the PF position still needs to be addressed.  And 2) We are looking to move off from Bullock either via trade or waive.

Nuggets are in a difficult spot without full birdrights. He opted out of the second year of a 2 year contract and the most they can offer is $7.8 million starting. But Portis was in a similar position and stuck around until the Bucks could offer more so the precedence is there but I think I would have to take the guaranteed money
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:58 PM)Jym Wrote: Nuggets are in a difficult spot without full birdrights. He opted out of the second year of a 2 year contract and the most they can offer is $7.8 million starting. But Portis was in a similar position and stuck around until the Bucks could offer more so the precedence is there but I think I would have to take the guaranteed money

Yeah it will be an interesting decision for him.   I am sure he had a blast playing Denver this year.   I think as you mention it is the difference of signing the full MLE for 4 years vs signing for 7.8 for one year with a wink, wink deal to be resigned after this year.    

I could see his decision either way.    I could also see a cap team throw money at him as well.
Like Reply
I read if he takes $7.8 million this year with the nuggets, he's eligible for a deal starting at $14 million next year. But there's a risk if he gets hurt.

Mavs could guarantee him over $50 million right now.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:05 PM)F Gump Wrote: Kyrie recruits him to come to DAL.

We now have Brown conversations on three threads, so don't know where to add this.

Brown is CAA.  If he is our target, it might mean Cuban didn't screw the pooch with them as bad as I suspected (or Nico is better at relationships than I dreamed possible).
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:32 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Interesting note on Brown.  I just think you are going to have difficulty taking him away from Denver with just the MLE.  Might as well try though.

It would mean two things for me, 1) we would need another move.  I think the PF position still needs to be addressed.  And 2) We are looking to move off from Bullock either via trade or waive.

Hopefully it means there is some type of Bullock for Grant Williams deal they are lining up.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • F Gump, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: Reports are that we could not get Capela for a 10 to 15 trade down without adding Green or Hardy.  Not sure why we would be able to get him now with just our junk.

The word is that ATL owner has said they MUST cut a huge chunk of salary. The premise is that the Mavs would be doing exactly that.

Some of their other options might require for them to not only offer a player but ALSO add extra assets or picks. (I certainly wouldn't take Collins without considerable side compensation, for example.)

But you might be right that Capella is one they would NOT put on the table in such a quest. And frankly, if the Mavs could get Brown instead via MLE, I certainly wouldn't want to use up my MLE space on Capella (which is essentially what this would do).

I do think one high priority item for Mavs should be to see if RB will allow them to move back his g'tee deadline into July, even if just to the 1st day of free agency. That would allow more choices AFTER knowing who will sign with them, rather than before.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:04 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Would love Bruce Brown. Even playing alongside our very own in house “Bruce Brown,” Josh Green.

Bruce Brown put in the work. He couldn't shoot a lick when he was drafted by Detroit. That's what Josh needs to do starting this summer.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 02:22 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Bruce Brown put in the work. He couldn't shoot a lick when he was drafted by Detroit. That's what Josh needs to do starting this summer.

Championships are a hell of a drug. Green already shot the ball better than Brown ever has.

People here overrate Brown and his strength like backdoor cutting are well-suited to Jokic´s distribution. I don´t see how it fits with our schemes. The biggsest advantage he has over Green is passing. Not using my MLE on Brown to get a four year older, slightly better Josh Green.

Besides I think he´ll just stay in Denver on a two year deal with a player option, then get out and sign a bigger deal. 

If he´s the top priority in free agency, you get "old" Mavs2021 back. Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 02:10 PM)loki Wrote: Hopefully it means there is some type of Bullock for Grant Williams deal they are lining up.

All the following are possible together (in multiple moves) with Holmes not getting a TK --

Use MLE for Brown
Bullock for GW snt @ 13.6
Hardaway-McGee for Gafford/Morris

This assumes 15 players, and Mavs still under Apron 1 by about 600-700K. Even more room if they leave a slot open (to entice a player to sign, or for a buyout later).

Depth chart is hard to make because of position flex, but just a general idea:

pg - kyrie, morris
sg - luka, hardy
sf - brown, green
pf - gw, maxi, prosper
c - gafford, holmes, lively

I love the resulting roster, but it has a huge flaw -- lack of minutes. Too many mouths (at least 11) to feed, and players who need and deserve to play. Green, Hardy, and both rookies have a good chance get lost in the mix. It just won't work. But the jump in talent would obviously be significant.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Luka77, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply