Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(05-01-2023, 06:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: “I saw this coming a long time ago,” one former team employee said, “but I didn’t expect it to be this bad.”

It's a Cato article. There's a 100% chance that the "former team employee" is Donnie Nelson. I find it funny that the guy fired for cause in large part because of a hit piece he pretty obviously leaked to Cato is still Cato's best team source. I wouldn't read anything into the quote other than the fact that both Donnie and Cato are still bitter about being cut out.
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 11:49 AM)Tyler Wrote: It's a Cato article. There's a 100% chance that the "former team employee" is Donnie Nelson. I find it funny that the guy fired for cause in large part because of a hit piece he pretty obviously leaked to Cato is still Cato's best team source. I wouldn't read anything into the quote other than the fact that both Donnie and Cato are still bitter about being cut out.

Sure, it could be Donnie.  But it could also be several other people no longer with the team.  Keith Grant?

I don't understand the bitter comment.  I read most of his articles and listened to most of his podcasts this year and I never felt any bitterness from him.  In fact, I thought his coverage was good this year.  If anything, he was too positive for most of the year with the teams poor play for most of the year.
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 12:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sure, it could be Donnie.  But it could also be several other people no longer with the team.  Keith Grant?

I don't understand the bitter comment.  I read most of his articles and listened to most of his podcasts this year and I never felt any bitterness from him.  In fact, I thought his coverage was good this year.  If anything, he was too positive for most of the year with the teams poor play for most of the year.

I mean...you don´t need an insider to know the Mavs front office has done a sh*t job for the last decade outside of one great day...and since that day they do everything in their power to un-do that lucky accident.
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 12:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sure, it could be Donnie. But it could also be several other people no longer with the team. Keith Grant?

Cato was clearly bitter in several of the interviews after his anti-Voulgaris article helped get Donnie fired. But sure -- maybe he deserves more credit for his later work. I do think Cato is more professional than a guy like MacMahon who is all about inventing drama for ESPN clicks.

My larger point is that the quote in question comes across as pretty self-serving by an ex-employee. "I saw it coming, but they screwed it up." Right. Normally I'd say that's a classic Voulgaris tactic, but we all know there's no way in hell BV is talking to Cato after the hit piece Cato published that ended his NBA career. IMHO, the team source that fed Cato that article and who would love nothing more than to twist the knife with the current Mavs leadership is the obvious candidate. So all I'm sayin' is to think about the motivation of the messenger when interpreting the message.
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 12:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I don't understand the bitter comment.  I read most of his articles and listened to most of his podcasts this year and I never felt any bitterness from him.  In fact, I thought his coverage was good this year.  If anything, he was too positive for most of the year with the teams poor play for most of the year.

Cato is a hack. Many of the posters on this forum would be better at covering the Mavs than he is.
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 11:49 AM)Tyler Wrote: It's a Cato article. There's a 100% chance that the "former team employee" is Donnie Nelson. I find it funny that the guy fired for cause in large part because of a hit piece he pretty obviously leaked to Cato is still Cato's best team source. I wouldn't read anything into the quote other than the fact that both Donnie and Cato are still bitter about being cut out.

Why does it matter who said it? Anyone who's critical of Mark's clown shitshow is honestly underselling it at this point. It's a group of useless yes-man and the most useless moron of them all, Cuban, and they've spent the last few years rubbing a diamond in manure because they're incapable of taking advantage of getting gifted a generational player.
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 02:45 PM)Tyler Wrote: Cato was clearly bitter in several of the interviews after his anti-Voulgaris article helped get Donnie fired. But sure -- maybe he deserves more credit for his later work. I do think Cato is more professional than a guy like MacMahon who is all about inventing drama for ESPN clicks.

My larger point is that the quote in question comes across as pretty self-serving by an ex-employee. "I saw it coming, but they screwed it up." Right. Normally I'd say that's a classic Voulgaris tactic, but we all know there's no way in hell BV is talking to Cato after the hit piece Cato published that ended his NBA career. IMHO, the team source that fed Cato that article and who would love nothing more than to twist the knife with the current Mavs leadership is the obvious candidate. So all I'm sayin' is to think about the motivation of the messenger when interpreting the message.

I actually think Voulgaris is EXACTLY who got quoted. His tweet profile leads me to believe he’d be willing and easily accessible enough to say such a thing off the record.
Like Reply
(05-03-2023, 10:48 AM)omahen Wrote: Smile

Sure Cubes, I can call you Cubes, right. I will gladly sign here for full max. Dallas is best city I have been to. 

Six months later., after missing 75 % of games to different reasons beyond imagination..

I demand a trade, because you disrespected me.

Sounds about right. Stay tuned...
Like Reply
As much as I love Kyrie's recent play, IMHo, it's better for the Mavs to trade him. If the Mavs can get the same amount of value they sent out from the Kyrie trade, then you do it. A future first and two rotation pieces (preferably young guys).

With Kyrie, the Mavs are limited to a window far less than you'd expect for a franchise that has a 24 year old superstar. The Mavs should be building a team with multiple title runs, but instead, they are gunning for a single title with a max of 2.

AND if Kyrie is the reason Kidd isn't getting the axe, all the more reason to trade Kyrie and get rid of the clown coach.
Like Reply
So, again....did we hire Lindsey? This is sort of a important offseason. It brings me back to Nico's first offseason....of course he didn't have time to make decisions so we were forced into re-signing Hardaway right? That was some of the messaging. They should already have several directions planned out at this stage for this offseason. Is this guy part of the plan? Why do they move at a glacier approach? Ainge would have already traded 6 players (joking as I know this is not possible, but sort of not joking).

It got me thinking, When Nico was hired we were all hoping he had some Svengali feel of evaluating players. I was one of these. It certainly appears this was never the role he was hired for. We hear the Mavericks front office is pretty small compared to other teams. So who replaced Donnie? Like him or hate him, he had decades experience of evaluating players. Bob V was probably not good at evaluating players but he had a process that lead to strong recommendations. Who filled in the gap when they left? Did anyone? Or was it Mark, Kidd, Nico and Fin in a group think process. Did Cuban actually think that would work and what we needed?
Like Reply
Nico, I think should have a good feel for draft prospects seeing that that is what Nike is all about (they also “eval” non rookies too I would guess). I was thinking with what I would think was his team of scouts he had at Nike, he would bring some over to the Mavs. Guys he had a good track record and rapport with. So far that hasn’t been the case. Hopefully this season helps him change everything around. It might start with the hiring of a consultant (I too wonder about there not being some announcement of the Utah guy not being hired).

Going back to the team of scouts thing. He would be the guy that picks guys like Hardy after hearing what his scouts reported to him. He doesn’t have that team here.
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/4489029/2023/05/...ed_article
Like Reply
(05-04-2023, 09:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Budenholzer was fired from the Bucks today, how about him?

IMO, this is the most impactful move that the Mavs could make this offseason.  I would have been on the phone to his rep within 5 minutes to see if he was interested in coaching this coming year.  If so, Kidd would have been fired within the next five minutes.  Coach Bud is an impactful coach who is also beloved by his players.  I can hardly see why MIL got rid of him, but they did get an unexpected bump out of the playoffs.  Heck, I would do it just based on the fact that Giannis loves him and will be a FA soon.  I like his XO's, I like his demeanor, I like his style of play, and he is a multi-team winner with a championship on his resume.  He is a WAY better coach than JKidd at WORST.  He is a franchise changer for the Mavs at best, and I can't believe that they wouldn't consider it.  Make that move today, and then let him give input on personnel direction to remake the roster in what he is looking to do.  He might just have love for a Wood type player if he could get a C playing next to him. That guy can do a lot with a wider range of players than JKidd has shown the ability to do.  I also trust him not to alienate his players, but rather get the most benefit from them.  Please make this happen!!!
Like Reply
(05-09-2023, 11:14 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: He is a WAY better coach than JKidd at WORST.  

At this point, any other NBA head coach would suffice for me.
At the very least, there will be changes on how the Mavs would/could play.
I don't see creativity in Kidd, he'd be just more of the same next season.

Having Kidd back is just an exercise in stupid!ty.
Like Reply
Surprised by this. It seemed to be trending that he would lose his spot. Several,of the podcasts I listen to had him second team.

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1656434...50242?s=20
Like Reply
(05-10-2023, 06:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Surprised by this.  It seemed to be trending that he would lose his spot.  Several,of the podcasts I listen to had him second team.

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1656434...50242?s=20

I wasn't honestly. 

Luka just had too monstrous of a statistical season and no one else really surpassed him individually. 4th in 5 years. Only other people to do that were Bird, Duncan, and Gervin. Hopefully Luka grabs some rings now like Bird and Duncan!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
From Stein, looks like Lindsey is already signed:

Former Jazz lead decision-maker Dennis Lindsey, now a special adviser to Mavericks GM Nico Harrison, is scheduled to make his first appearance as part of Dallas’ front office contingent at the Chicago pre-draft combine next week.

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/an-ode-...-nba?sd=pf
Like Reply
(05-13-2023, 08:07 AM)omahen Wrote: From Stein, looks like Lindsey is already signed:

Former Jazz lead decision-maker Dennis Lindsey, now a special adviser to Mavericks GM Nico Harrison, is scheduled to make his first appearance as part of Dallas’ front office contingent at the Chicago pre-draft combine next week.

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/an-ode-...-nba?sd=pf

Good to hear.
Like Reply
Good to hear indeed. Now formulate a great plan. Execute the plan. Oh wait, win the lottery tomorrow night. Make great use of hopefully a great pick.

Yes I do still get hopeful every year. I have learned to recover quickly.
Like Reply
Why haven’t we heard names from our coaching search?
Like Reply