Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(04-17-2023, 04:24 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: From Stein:

League sources tell The Stein Line that the Mavericks, fresh off plummeting from the Western Conference finals into the lottery, are in advanced discussions to hire former Utah Jazz lead decision-maker Dennis Lindsey to join the organization as a special assistant to general manager Nico Harrison.

Dallas’ front office is headed by Harrison and assistant general manager and former Mavericks All-Star guard Michael Finley — with the longstanding involvement, as seen since he bought the franchise in January 2000, from Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Harrison’s most recent two hires came from the Brooklyn Nets: Senior director of pro personnel Matt Riccardi and senior director of salary cap and strategy Andrew Baker.

Sources say Harrison has been looking for an experienced sounding-board voice to join the Mavericks in a consultant’s role dating to last offseason. This is a pivotal summer in Dallas, with the Mavericks not only faced with trying to re-sign Kyrie Irving in free agency but addressing well-chronicled concerns about its interior and wing defense and rebounding despite limited trade assets or salary-cap flexibility to make moves.

I mean we do have a type

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1365085933490610178

Seriously, he is a name I know and for the most part is someone who brings up positive images.  But that is surface level, don't know much about him.     
Like Reply
Who would have guessed that Cuban was running an echo chamber front office
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 3 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, hakeemfaan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 04:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I try : )

Hopefully this is a real hire and not a Rosas situation all over again. I gotta check out Lindsay.

He made some good moves with Utah. He drafted Gobert and Mitchell. He also has some concerning allegations against him for racism though. The league couldn't ever prove the allegations, however. I'm sure Nico checked into it before hiring him I suppose.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 05:01 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Who would have guessed that Cuban was running an echo chamber front office

Would loved to hear the group think last offseason about targeting McGee.    Now that would be a funny listen.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 05:08 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Would loved to hear the group think last offseason about targeting McGee.    Now that would be a funny listen.

Considering Cuban looks at roster building in the most simplistic terms possible, it wouldn't surprise me if it boiled down to we need defense and rebounding, Javale can do those things, Kidd liked him in LA, so lets sign him. And that was it. Never mind that McGee is a drop coverage big while we thrived using a switching scheme last year, he can't switch onto guards, is 35, etc. This is the front office who tried to say that picking up Wood and getting THJ back would replace what Brunson brought on offense, as if was as simple as plugging in a couple guys who can score the same 16ppg that Brunson scored last year. They don't have a plan or seem to really understand how different pieces fit together. It's just, we need defense and rebounding, ok here's a guy that can do that. We need shooting? Here's JJ Reddick's broken down ass.
[-] The following 4 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost, Smitty
Like Reply
A special assistant to Nico sounds a way better than a special assistant to Cuban.

Some Jazz draft picks in the past.

2013 - # 9 Trey Burke and # 27 Rudy Gobert

2014 - # 5 Dante Exum and # 23 Rodney Hood

2015 - # 12 Trey Lyles

2016 - # 13 Donovan Mitchel and # 28 Tony Bradley

2018 - # 21 Grayson Allen
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 05:27 PM)chaparral Wrote: A special assistant to Nico sounds a way better than a special assistant to Cuban.

Some Jazz draft picks in the past.

2013 - # 9 Trey Burke and # 27 Rudy Gobert

2014 - # 5 Dante Exum and # 23 Rodney Hood

2015 - # 12 Trey Lyles

2016 - # 13 Donovan Mitchel and # 28 Tony Bradley

2018 - # 21 Grayson Allen

As long as he doesn´t get a top 10 pick he is going to nail it?
Like Reply
Nice Ass GM hire. Couldn't be any worse than the Nico/Cuban show.
Like Reply
Another Cuban negotiation failure. There are literally billions of people who would manage ass for free.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Hope this doesn’t turn into another Gambler vs Donnie situation if Cuban is the one forcing Nico to make this hire. 
——-
But most expect Lindsey to find another NBA job rather than stay with the Jazz in this role for long — he was said to be interested in Dallas’ open position, since filled by Nike executive Nico Harrison.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/...tah-jazzs/
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 11:19 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Hope this doesn’t turn into another Gambler vs Donnie situation if Cuban is the one forcing Nico to make this hire. 
——-
But most expect Lindsey to find another NBA job rather than stay with the Jazz in this role for long — he was said to be interested in Dallas’ open position, since filled by Nike executive Nico Harrison.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/...tah-jazzs/

Surely not. A 54 year old with 13 years experience as GM serving as an understudy to a 50 year old sophomore GM.
Like Reply
A consultant isn’t an understudy. Jerry West has served as a consultant, Don Nelson was a consultant for a time.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(04-18-2023, 07:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: A consultant isn’t an understudy. Jerry West has served as a consultant, Don Nelson was a consultant for a time.

When Jerry West was hired it was known that he would have a lot of leverage. This is a weird dynamic with someone who is coming in wanting the same job tht Nico now has. Plus he has years of experience in this and Nico is a neophyte. It is going to be interesting. 

It can absolutely work if done correctly and boundaries are clearly defined. Do I have confidence in Cuban of doing that? Absolutely no.
Like Reply
(04-18-2023, 08:41 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: When Jerry West was hired it was known that he would have a lot of leverage. This is a weird dynamic with someone who is coming in wanting the same job tht Nico now has. Plus he has years of experience in this and Nico is a neophyte. It is going to be interesting. 

It can absolutely work if done correctly and boundaries are clearly defined. Do I have confidence in Cuban of doing that? Absolutely no.
The report says Nico has been looking for someone in this capacity for a year. I also haven’t seen anything about the guy saying he wants Nico’s job. A consultant job sounds like having a sit back and talk through the pros and cons on all the leg work Nico is doing, and getting paid well to do so. Pretty great retirement gig.

If he is gunning for the job, may the best man win honestly. Don’t really care how we get to contention, just want to get there.
Like Reply
Was Assistant GM of SA 2007-2012. Found that notable. Going to go back and reacquaint myself with his work when I have a chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(04-18-2023, 09:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I also haven’t seen anything about the guy saying he wants Nico’s job.

It was said he was aiming for Mavs job, but they decided for Nico.
Like Reply
Joe Ingles and Royce O’Neale were good undrafted finds on Lindsey’s watch. Definitely a mixed bag draft-wise. Traded up for Gobert with just cash essentially. Traded for Conley.
Like Reply
(04-18-2023, 10:26 AM)omahen Wrote: It was said he was aiming for Mavs job, but they decided for Nico.
It’s been a couple years of not finding another landing spot. Thoughts and feelings can change.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 05:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As long as he doesn´t get a top 10 pick he is going to nail it?

Or a #23 (Rodney Hood), or a #12 (Trey Lyles), or a #28 (Tony Bradley), or a #21 (Grayson Allen)
Like Reply
I wouldn’t say Hood and Grayson Allen qualify as bad picks. If you get a rotation player in the 20’s it’s a victory. And they were able to use Allen as part of the package to get Conley.
Like Reply