Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
https://twitter.com/mavspr/status/160349...67233?s=46&t=XqCdtyhJwBijETavfrgDiA
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 04:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavspr/status/160349...67233?s=46&t=XqCdtyhJwBijETavfrgDiA

Sucks that this should mean some development minutes for Hardy but based on the last game and just the palpable desperation I know it won't happen.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 04:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure what the value would be of dumping Bullock just to save 5 mil?  I would argue he is probably roughly neutral value and probably worth more than 5 mil, so I would prefer to keep him if that is the option.  

As for option 2, I would be fine with that if we truly had the option lined up.  I have seen this FO set themselves up for stuff that they never follow through on too many times to think this would be any different.

I have been vocally anti-tank, but if Luka gets injured for more than a week or two, I will be all on board the tank brigade.

Luka missed at least two weeks worth of games every regular season so far and this year he´s playing +3.6 MPG compared to his 2nd highest season. You are already on board. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
My best guess is more of the same. Surely Kidd knew Kleber would be out for a while and the starting lineup didn't change at all last night. Seems like the idea was to insert Ntilikina for Green, Bertans for Kleber and run it out there. 

In theory it makes sense. Ntilikina was better than Green last year and should be able to hold down the fort as a backup guard. He was a lottery pick after all. Likewise, Bertans should be able to produce as a backup stretch four. He's making a lot of money for that skillset.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Mavs will be competitive without mixing up the lineups, rotations and even the defensive schemes and even then it's questionable. Of course, maybe that's ok. If you want a top-10 pick in 23 maybe you need a comically bad front court to offset Luka's MVP start.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 04:19 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Luka missed at least two weeks worth of games every regular season so far and this year he´s playing +3.6 MPG compared to his 2nd highest season. You are already on board. Wink

Last season I think it was related to coming in out of shape and the season before that he only missed 6 games.  

For me the biggest goal right now is asset accumulation, but that includes retaining the assets we currently have and Luka is like 95% of that.  I don't know his mindset, but it is hard to imagine he would not have an issue with a complete teardown, and its hard to imagine this franchise conducting a quick efficient teardown that would be ready to compete in 2 or 3 years.  I also think our cap situation is so bad right now that the only reasonable way to clean it up is to have some patience (and not sign any more dumb ass contracts like McGee).  I have no problem taking some steps back right now if it helps to move forward in the near future, but I don't see a reasonable path to a teardown.  I don't think LA is interested in our crappy contracts and don't see a Westbrook trade that makes sense for both teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Taking stock once again

PG Luka .... then Walker (DNP-CD)

SG Din - Ntilikina (usually DNP-CD) ... then Hardy (D-League rookie) ... Green (Out)

SF THJ - Bullock .... then Pinson (DNP-CD)

PF DFS ... then nobody ... Kleber (Out) ... Bertans (Out)

C Powell - Wood (who knows who starts).... then McGee (DNP-CD)

That's seven rotation players and a deep backup. Only three can be counted on to score in double digits on most nights and none of those three are good defenders. No size, no rebounding, no rim protection. Kleber was really a lynchpin. Maxi Kleber. Are we really to the point that losing Maxi Kleber for 6 weeks turns this thing into a bottom-10 lottery team?

Hollinger thinks Dallas was one injury away but he pointed out Luka as the one guy that could force a tailspin. I'm not so sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 04:25 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: My best guess is more of the same. Surely Kidd knew Kleber would be out for a while and the starting lineup didn't change at all last night. Seems like the idea was to insert Ntilikina for Green, Bertans for Kleber and run it out there. 

In theory it makes sense. Ntilikina was better than Green last year and should be able to hold down the fort as a backup guard. He was a lottery pick after all. Likewise, Bertans should be able to produce as a backup stretch four. He's making a lot of money for that skillset.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Mavs will be competitive without mixing up the lineups, rotations and even the defensive schemes and even then it's questionable. Of course, maybe that's ok. If you want a top-10 pick in 23 maybe you need a comically bad front court to offset Luka's MVP start.

Your probably right, but now is the time to say "fuck it" and put Wood in the starting lineup.  Without Maxi or Green we are not going to play quality defense anyways.  He was somehow +9 last night in 36 mostly single big minutes in a game we lost by 15.  Lets run him out there and see what happens.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, vfromlmf
Like Reply
Any chance we could get an NBA medical examiner to determine that Maxi should be shut down for the season in the next 7 hours?
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 04:43 PM)mvossman Wrote: Your probably right, but now is the time to say "fuck it" and put Wood in the starting lineup.  Without Maxi or Green we are not going to play quality defense anyways.  He was somehow +9 last night in 36 mostly single big minutes in a game we lost by 15.  Lets run him out there and see what happens.

Kidd's reluctance to turn this into an offense first team that figures out defense as the season goes HAS to reach a breaking point soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BasketballJones41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
A former Maverick retires and this forum's entire reaction is 1 post of the source and 2 one-line comments. That's it.

Seriously guys. That's it?
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 06:38 PM)WillE Wrote: A former Maverick retires and this forum's entire reaction is 1 post of the source and 2 one-line comments. That's it.

Honestly, he wasn't really all that much of "a former Maverick" from my perspective. I feel bad for him as a human, but I don't have a very strong connection to him as a Mavs fan.
Like Reply
The YouTube algorithm is weird.  Today it randomly shot an 11 year old video with no views to the top of my list.  

I’ve watched it about a half dozen times since this morning. 

Made me smile. 

https://youtu.be/TxgGOBuaqk0
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 07:38 AM)omahen Wrote: I think the bigger problem is Mavs failing at vast majority of the moves they did after they traded for Luka. Majority of rotation players are still from Luka rookie season. 

- reportedly could have taken 20 mil contract instead of giving up a pick for Luka. They valued cap space more to spend it on DAJ
- KP trade
- Mavs sending Barnes away for free (his worth was measured in at least one FRP) a season later - didn't capitalize on TE generated by him and failed the max cap space 2019 offseason where Wright was their prized aquisition (could have used the cap space for assets, if Kemba walked on them). It cost 2 SRP to get Wright and 2 SRP to send him away (too lazy to check exact numbers, but this is how I remember it)
- Powell extension (ok player, but way overpaid)
- mostly failing in 2020 draft with 2 high SRP
- trading Curry for Richardson (not that Curry would fit on this team, but unfortunately JRich didn't neither)
- didn't capitalize the Richardson TE because money
- didn't capitalize near max cap space in 2021, opted to resign THJ to what is now a negative contract
- WCS contract
- Sterling Brown
- Trey Burke
- KP trade to Washington - best player in the trade was KP (and owed less money) and Mavs paid a pick to do it. Still waiting for impact of the increased flexibility two smaller contracts allegedly bring
- Brunson disaster
- McGee

List of good deals is much shorter:
- Bullock (sort of, at least last season)
- DFS and Maxi extensions
- Green and Hardy picks look to have potential. Much better players were drafted after Green, though.

In my opinion, sure getting to WCF last season was nice, but it was fools gold. This core is far from contending, especially since they lost Brunson. Mavs biggest problem is in the strategy. They continously have extremely short term look, spending assets on fringe improvements while they should likely be gathering them for the big move, at least in first couple of seasons with Luka. In one of the crucial offseasons after GM and coach left, Cuban chose to go with a nobody GM instead of at least trying to go after the best. They can still salvage this, but their next move has to be an absolute hit. Have no doubt, every move they try to make will be costly. League knows very well Mavs are desperate. Similar to Lakers - everyone knows they have to do something and everyone will extort them to the maximum.

Mike Piellucci on Twitter: "Nobody wants to hear this in a game like this, but @DaveDuFourNBA hit the nail on the head from our show on Monday (with something I’ve said before, too): a lot of the talent problems start with Luka being so good that they couldn’t tank their way into a supporting cast." / Twitter

Speaking of Delon Wright.  He has had a solid nba career.  I was never a fan of the move though.

Although it shows how long Memphis has been making smart moves.  Wright had a strong end to that season.  Memphis didn’t have plans to re-sign him.  Took a few seconds from Dallas and then signed Tyis Jones to near the same money.  Jones is now one of the best backup points in the league.  That is the definition of building on the edges.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Mavs2021, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Speaking of Delon Wright.  He has had a solid nba career.  I was never a fan of the move though.

Although it shows how long Memphis has been making smart moves.  Wright had a strong end to that season.  Memphis didn’t have plans to re-sign him.  Took a few seconds from Dallas and then signed Tyis Jones to near the same money.  Jones is now one of the best backup points in the league.  That is the definition of building on the edges.

80 points from their bench tonight.

That´s not their ages, that´s their draft positions. Clearly impossible to find talent outside the lottery.

Also you want a leader? How about Steven Adams. Or do people think Ja and JJJ are the veteran leaders on the Grizzlies team? Just need one.

You think he´d take sh*t from Luka.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 11:28 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Just need one.

Mavs have one. He is McGee Smile
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 11:28 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 80 points from their bench tonight.

That´s not their ages, that´s their draft positions. Clearly impossible to find talent outside the lottery.

Also you want a leader? How about Steven Adams. Or do people think Ja and JJJ are the veteran leaders on the Grizzlies team? Just need one.

Adams would have been my dream since he grew his beard.
And I envy them for not constantly getting f**d by the other franchises.
They are doing a great job though.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 11:28 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 80 points from their bench tonight.

Yep, they also signed two really interesting two way guys right after the draft who went undrafted.   Maybe neither make it to the NBA, but both are intriguing.
Like Reply
Re: Maxi Injury

Locked-On podcast had a number from cleaning the glass.  Maxi + Wood D-Rating 109-point-something.  Wood w/o Maxi D-Rating 119-point-something.

We are basically down to three rotation guys splitting 96 minutes at the 5/4…Wood, Powell and DFS.  Yeah, I know McGee might get some minutes, but in terms of his skill set, he and Powell are basically one guy.  So feel free to think McGee or Powell anytime you see Powell written below.

Bertans will get a few minutes, but I can’t see it being a ton.  Other than the Bertans minutes, it has to be Wood/DFS, Powell/DFS and a few Powell/Wood shifts using up almost all of the 96 minutes.  I just don’t see Wood or Powell able to handle things by themselves defensively with a bunch of guards in the minutes that DFS sits.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 01:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Re: Maxi Injury

Locked-On podcast had a number from cleaning the glass.  Maxi + Wood D-Rating 109-point-something.  Wood w/o Maxi D-Rating 119-point-something.

We are basically down to three rotation guys splitting 96 minutes at the 5/4…Wood, Powell and DFS.  Yeah, I know McGee might get some minutes, but in terms of his skill set, he and Powell are basically one guy.  So feel free to think McGee or Powell anytime you see Powell written below.

Bertans will get a few minutes, but I can’t see it being a ton.  Other than the Bertans minutes, it has to be Wood/DFS, Powell/DFS and a few Powell/Wood shifts using up almost all of the 96 minutes.  I just don’t see Wood or Powell able to handle things by themselves defensively with a bunch of guards in the minutes that DFS sits.

I vote we play Luka/Dinwiddie/Hardaway/Bertans/Wood all 48 minutes and pretend defense doesn't exist.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 06:38 PM)WillE Wrote: A former Maverick retires and this forum's entire reaction is 1 post of the source and 2 one-line comments. That's it.

What should we say? I feel bad for the guy but he's doing what's best for his health at this point. I have zero emotional connection to the guy since he was barely on the team.

I have more emotional connection to the 2 early second rounders that we wasted that year.
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply