Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(12-14-2022, 08:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Didn't read the article but Luka is #4.  Only other Mavs are Wood at 76 and Dinwiddie at 77.

Jalen at 51 and KP at 53

https://nbarankings.theringer.com/

Interesting that they have John Collins at #95.

Again, I haven't read but I just saw Boston has 8 in the top 100.
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 08:30 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: One encouraging note is Green seems to have fully surpassed Bullock in the rotation…baby steps.  That is no small feat.

Yeah, I think this has been glossed over, but I agree this is kind of big news. Good for the kid, and good on the Kidd for committing to him that much so far. I have a feeling he's going to continue to move up in the rotation, and in the social dynamics you mentioned earlier, but you're absolutely right about that being something to approach a little delicately.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 09:17 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Interesting that they have John Collins at #95.

Again, I haven't read but I just saw Boston has 8 in the top 100.

They nailed the write-up on Wood pretty well IMHO (below).  Encouraging from a trade value standpoint that he’s ranked so highly.  Unfortunately, I’d probably trade him for almost any of the six bigs ranked after him (Carter, Zubac, Vuc., JV, Collins and Olynyk) and several who aren’t ranked (Poeltl, Claxton, Hartenstein and Adams).  So, I’m not sure he’s ranked properly.  Interesting that Utah has two ranked bigs that wouldn’t have come close to sniffing this list a year ago.

I think the proper trade destination for Wood is a team that needs to put butts in seats and has reason to believe they can extract more value for him in a rehab than it took to get him.  Maybe that’s what Dallas thought last summer.  Unfortunately, the expiring contract makes that trickier now than it was last summer.  The only real avenue for some other team to extract that value would be a S&T this summer assuming Wood is worth more than the MLE and a non cap room team wants him.

ANALYSIS

What’s the catch with Christian Wood? Everywhere he goes, he puts up numbers. He tantalizes with a remarkably well-rounded skill set that makes him, in many ways, a dream pick-and-roll big. And then, inevitably, he falls out of favor. 

It’s still a bit shocking that the Mavericks’ most productive big man plays so little, even while understanding Wood’s spacier defensive habits. There are bigs who can be counted on to be in perfect position in coverage, and then there’s Wood—liable to be a step out of place or a half-beat late in rotation, falling short in the exact ways that drive a coach up the wall. 

Honestly, he’s probably worth the trouble anyway. What Wood’s team loses in defensive precision, it makes up through the sheer breadth of his skill set. The only bigs who can finish, handle, and shoot like Wood are no-questions-asked All-Stars. The talent is there. Yet unless Wood drills down on some of the more thankless parts of the job—more attentive defense, sturdier screens, more diligent box-outs—he may never have the chance to prove that he can play at that level. 
—Rob Mahoney
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Mahoney definitely nailed Wood. (insert rimshot)

I met Tyson Chandler during preseason and asked about Wood. He didn't offer anything super juicy but he said Wood has "all the talent in the world". I asked if Wood can play defense and Tyson raised his eyebrows and shook his head as if to say he wasn't sure. Then after a brief pause he said "He has to want to." 

That was the narrative on Wood coming in and it's reflected in Mahoney's analysis where he notes "...unless Wood drills down on ... attentive defense, sturdier screens, more diligent box-outs ..." The idea being that Wood is capable of playing winning basketball, he just doesn't. 

But after watching him for 24 games I really do wonder if there's something else at play. Maybe it's a maturity thing that he'll never outgrow. He's clearly motivated to be a great player, but not a winning one, and I have serious doubts that will change.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
THJ and McGee to Sacramento 
Harrison Barnes and Theo Pinson to Atlanta
Richaun Holmes and Collins to Dallas

Might have to include Frank as well or as a substitute for Pinson to get the exact numbers to match.
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 02:47 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: THJ and McGee to Sacramento 

Might have to include Frank as well or as a substitute for Pinson to get the exact numbers to match.

So we have Wood/Maxi/Powell/Holmes/Collins on the roster?
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 02:47 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: THJ and McGee to Sacramento 

I think this is overkill. 

I wouldn't want to play those two together, that's for sure.
Like Reply
I'm really worried that the best of Collins in the past has come through 1-5 pick and roll, playing as a solo big. 

Part of me feels like he'll be more likely than Wood to get time there here, with Kidd, because he'll be a more polished player. 

Part of me feels like he'll be more effective than Wood in a two big lineup even if he's used exactly how Wood is being used now...but this might be far from the truth. He's definitely not as good of a catch and shoot guy, for example. 

Part of me is worried that the team would end up in exactly the same mess of a two-big nightmare they're in right now, only with a big ol' guaranteed contract on the books. It's possible this is one of the worst things they could do, although I'm interested.
Like Reply
Most definitely overkill, but winning a trade to increase assets isn't necessarily about fit.

Thinking long-term for mark, Dallas would drop more than 20 million from payroll by letting Wood and Powell walk at the end of the year.

But I would think the Mavs could first use Wood to make a 2nd move that balances out the roster...
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 03:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm really worried that the best of Collins in the past has come through 1-5 pick and roll, playing as a solo big. 

Part of me feels like he'll be more likely than Wood to get time there here, with Kidd, because he'll be a more polished player. 

Part of me feels like he'll be more effective than Wood in a two big lineup even if he's used exactly how Wood is being used now...but this might be far from the truth. He's definitely not as good of a catch and shoot guy, for example. 

Part of me is worried that the team would end up in exactly the same mess of a two-big nightmare they're in right now, only with a big ol' guaranteed contract on the books. It's possible this is one of the worst things they could do, although I'm interested.

I am pro Collins for Wood for many reasons, but most of them stem from BBIQ.  I think he will make better defense decisions than Wood which will allow him more time on the court from a Kidd standpoint.

I think Collins is more likely to get court time as a single big due to defensive decision making.

I think Collins is more mobile than Wood and is a much better defensive PF.

I think the Collins/Maxi fit is maybe even better than Wood/Maxi fit.

I'm not a huge fan of Collins/Powell, but he has played most of his minutes with another big clogging the paint, so we can probably survive at least some minutes there.

I don't see Wood sticking and this team needs talent, so I am willing to take on Collin's contract rather than nothing.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 04:42 PM)mvossman Wrote: I am pro Collins for Wood for many reasons, but most of them stem from BBIQ.  I think he will make better defense decisions than Wood which will allow him more time on the court from a Kidd standpoint.

I think Collins is more likely to get court time as a single big due to defensive decision making.

I'm not a huge fan of Collins/Powell, but he has played most of his minutes with another big clogging the paint, so we can probably survive at least some minutes there.

I don't see Wood sticking and this team needs talent, so I am willing to take on Collin's contract rather than nothing.

Yeah, I'm leaning the same way on most of these thoughts. I just think it's worth a little thought. At the end of the day I suppose every deal comes with some risk.

(12-14-2022, 03:44 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Most definitely overkill, but winning a trade to increase assets isn't necessarily about fit.

Thinking long-term for mark, Dallas would drop more than 20 million from payroll by letting Wood and Powell walk at the end of the year.

But I would think the Mavs could first use Wood to make a 2nd move that balances out the roster...

Ok, but what if Holmes isn't playing because he sucks? I honestly think that might be the case. 

And, call me crazy, but I'm pretty much to the point where I hope Powell is back next year. If they can successfully move him to the bench, great, but he's a winning player, imho. I bet he takes a slight haircut on the next deal (but you never know).
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 04:42 PM)mvossman Wrote: I am pro Collins for Wood for many reasons, but most of them stem from BBIQ.  I think he will make better defense decisions than Wood which will allow him more time on the court from a Kidd standpoint.

I like all of this.  I'll add that no one said anything about Collins needing to "prove it" to anyone and there haven't been career-long whispers about effort and BBIQ related to Collins.  He's an easy win if it is just Wood and filler.  I like him much better than Kuzma and he's more age appropriate than Bojan.  

Interesting exercise.  If you were to combine Atlanta and Dallas based on EPM, here is your lineup:

Ball Handlers:  Luka (100), Trae (92), Dinwiddie (89)

Wings:  Murray (83), DFS (73), Green (68)

Bigs:  Capela (85), Collins (73), Powell (69)

The only other players rated 60 or higher are Okongwu and THJ.  If there is a way to swing one of those top 9 from their roster to ours without giving up someone else in the top nine (or Maxi or Hardy/picks), I think you have to do it.  Like I said earlier, I like the idea of trying to move some LT money to Atlanta by expanding the deal.  But even Wood/Bullock for Collins is fine with me.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 04:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I'm leaning the same way on most of these thoughts. I just think it's worth a little thought. At the end of the day I suppose every deal comes with some risk.

Ok, but what if Holmes isn't playing because he sucks? I honestly think that might be the case. 

And, call me crazy, but I'm pretty much to the point where I hope Powell is back next year. If they can successfully move him to the bench, great, but he's a winning player, imho. I bet he takes a slight haircut on the next deal (but you never know).

The problem is that Dallas HAS to either give up capital or take on salary. IF the cost of adding Collins is to get Sacramento involved, then taking on Holmes (over them taking on McGee) is that price.
I would agree on Powell if his contract picks up at the McGee level and not his current level
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 06:53 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: IF the cost of adding Collins is to get Sacramento involved, then taking on Holmes (over them taking on McGee) is that price.

Ok, I'm with you now on the logic. Got it.

I would counter by saying I'm not sure it's a great idea to take on that much salary, and I'm reasonably certain anyone taking on Collins can rightly claim they're making a pretty huge financial commitment already. But, I suppose that's all in the eye of the beholder.
Like Reply
Sending out THJ and McGee is close to offsetting Collins for 3 yrs. In 4 yrs who knows how we will look at year - ok we-d hate it...

But I don't think Atlanta makes that deal...
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 11:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: They nailed the write-up on Wood pretty well IMHO (below).  Encouraging from a trade value standpoint that he’s ranked so highly.  Unfortunately, I’d probably trade him for almost any of the six bigs ranked after him (Carter, Zubac, Vuc., JV, Collins and Olynyk) and several who aren’t ranked (Poeltl, Claxton, Hartenstein and Adams).  So, I’m not sure he’s ranked properly.  Interesting that Utah has two ranked bigs that wouldn’t have come close to sniffing this list a year ago.

I think the proper trade destination for Wood is a team that needs to put butts in seats and has reason to believe they can extract more value for him in a rehab than it took to get him.  Maybe that’s what Dallas thought last summer.  Unfortunately, the expiring contract makes that trickier now than it was last summer.  The only real avenue for some other team to extract that value would be a S&T this summer assuming Wood is worth more than the MLE and a non cap room team wants him.

ANALYSIS

What’s the catch with Christian Wood? Everywhere he goes, he puts up numbers. He tantalizes with a remarkably well-rounded skill set that makes him, in many ways, a dream pick-and-roll big. And then, inevitably, he falls out of favor. 

It’s still a bit shocking that the Mavericks’ most productive big man plays so little, even while understanding Wood’s spacier defensive habits. There are bigs who can be counted on to be in perfect position in coverage, and then there’s Wood—liable to be a step out of place or a half-beat late in rotation, falling short in the exact ways that drive a coach up the wall. 

Honestly, he’s probably worth the trouble anyway. What Wood’s team loses in defensive precision, it makes up through the sheer breadth of his skill set. The only bigs who can finish, handle, and shoot like Wood are no-questions-asked All-Stars. The talent is there. Yet unless Wood drills down on some of the more thankless parts of the job—more attentive defense, sturdier screens, more diligent box-outs—he may never have the chance to prove that he can play at that level. 
—Rob Mahoney

We have talked about this before, but seeing this list just gets me thinking…is it easier to find a top 25 player like Jaylen Brown or add two more top 100 players to your roster ( to get 5 total)?
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 08:37 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Sending out THJ and McGee is close to offsetting Collins for 3 yrs. In 4 yrs who knows how we will look at year - ok we-d hate it...

But I don't think Atlanta makes that deal...

THJ swap, could be possible, attaching McGee? Not gonna happen.
Like Reply
Wood can be spectacular and as great as the pairing is with Luka on the offensive side of the floor, it is equally as disasters on the defensive side.   I think you could probably build a somewhat successful team around Wood, but good luck finding an organization that wants to do that.  The best team I can think for him currently is the Hornets.  That team isn't going anywhere so Wood's defense doesn't really hurt them.  He would pair nicely with LaMelo and give the team a much need infusion of talent.

Still get Monta vibes from Wood.
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 11:40 PM)cow Wrote: Wood can be spectacular and as great as the pairing is with Luka on the offensive side of the floor, it is equally as disasters on the defensive side.   I think you could probably build a somewhat successful team around wood and find some success, but good luck finding an organization that wants to do that.  The best team I can think for him currently is the Hornets.  That team isn't going anywhere so Wood's defense doesn't really hurt them.  He would pair nicely with LaMelo and give the team a much need infusion of talent.

Still get Monta vibes from Wood.

It'd be nice if his defense was better but that's certainly not why we lost tonight 
Seemed like he did just as well or better than Powell
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 11:44 PM)Jym Wrote: It'd be nice if his defense was better but that's certainly not why we lost tonight 
Seemed like he did just as well or better than Powell

It really isn't about tonight.  I only caught the second half but the only standout defensive play I can remember is by Tim.  Cavs had a layup drill most of the second half.  That's on Kidd's scheme and just a piss poor effort by the team collectively.  

I just don't know if you can put enough defense around a Luka/Wood combo and certainly not if you are also going to play THJ/Din heavy minutes.  The makeup of this team is much more D'Antoni than it is Kidd except we don't run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply