Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(08-23-2022, 11:43 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, there's just not enough offense on this team, imo.

It's a good thing that defense wins championships.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's a good thing that defense wins championships.

Yeah, but offense is your best defense.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 12:31 PM)Mapka Wrote: Yeah, but offense is your best defense.

If that was the case the 2019-20 Mavs would've gone 16-0 in the playoffs that year  Wink
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's a good thing that defense wins championships.

Yes, defense is super important…if your offense is good enough for it to even matter.
Like Reply
https://out.reddit.com/t3_wxnp8d?url=htt...5LofoVXEq8&token=AQAAl64JY-cVJmsYqUZquhBY1EL858H-MjA43ujnQ3YJXW7rfcFy&app_name=web2x&user_id=2028462552864&web_redirect=true
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
ESPN coaches/executives survey (with a super small sample size this year) ranks the Mavs as the team with the worst offseason...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3444...ad-2022-23
Like Reply
Look for some Mavs nuggets in Stein’s next column.  LOL

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...90209?s=21&t=egsRKTjdfozgiwMlOiU0tA
Like Reply
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/dalla...y/3060764/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tunesquad23's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(08-31-2022, 08:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: ESPN coaches/executives survey (with a super small sample size this year) ranks the Mavs as the team with the worst offseason

Lol. Given the fact the Lakers still have Westbrook and haven't improved one iota I'd rank them as having the worst offseason. Nets also have no depth which made them nearly loose both their stars (and they still might). I'd also say Charlotte had a worse offseason given that they lost Bridges. 

Mavs offseason definitely bottom 5-10 though. But the worst? That's some grand hyperbole.
Like Reply
(08-31-2022, 11:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Lol. Given the fact the Lakers still have Westbrook and haven't improved one iota I'd rank them as having the worst offseason. Nets also have no depth which made them nearly loose both their stars (and they still might). I'd also say Charlotte had a worse offseason given that they lost Bridges. 

Mavs offseason definitely bottom 5-10 though. But the worst? That's some grand hyperbole.

We were at the WCF, could have been a real contender by just keeping JB and now have to fight for the POs.
That's worse than the Hornets or the Nets.
Like Reply
(09-01-2022, 12:36 AM)Mapka Wrote: We were at the WCF, could have been a real contender by just keeping JB and now have to fight for the POs..

I find that very debatable ...and think it will prove to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY wrong.

Losing Brunson may cost them the top seed. But if I have to call it, I'm calling it -- this team is going to be better than you (and many) think, even without JB. Barring some sort of catastrophic injury, the "normal" outcome on this team is going to be in the top tier. (See Doncic, L.)

I'd rather have Brunson too. Or another playmaker type. But this Luka guy is really special, and I don't think we yet ascertain what that portends. But we will.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Jmaciscool, RoyTarpleysGhost, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Losing JB stings.

But I just don't think losing him is catastrophic.

I'd even say, if the Mavs get a Clarkson-level player, the Mavs wouldn't miss a beat. JB for me was essential to the Mavs because he can: score on his own unassisted, shoot the three when open, make plays for the team, and handle the ball well. At the moment only Luka and Dinwiddie can do all those things.

If the Mavs do not move to get that 3rd playmaker/scorer/ballhandler, then it's going to be half a season for auditions coming from the group of Dorsey-Frank-Green-Hardy. Although in the end,  I can see at least two from that group replacing THJ more than replacing JB instead.

I love THJ, but THJ's days are numbered. And rightfully so. The replacements are in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(08-19-2022, 04:33 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Yeah man. What stings is we could’ve conceivably had Green AND Bane if Memphis didn’t jump us, or if we had packaged our two seconds to move up a spot.. i wonder if with the draft room chaos they were caught off guard by being leapfrogged. Also possible they liked Terry as much or more. I really like Josh and think he has nowhere but up to go. I think he can be an elite level defender. So I’m much less concerned about THAT draft and it’s misses. I think Josh will earn another contract and start for a decade here. I do think the Overall MBT approach to the draft has been horrendous, misguided, shortsighted and  ill prepared. Just not ready to lump Josh Green’s selection in with the fuck-ups yet.

Don't forget they wiffed on Saddiq Bey who dropped a 51 piece this past season, and looks like a foundation piece for Detroit. But the question is, if Dallas would have taken him over Green, would Kidd have played him more minutes?  Seems like he would.   Green's minutes were sporadic at best.
Like Reply
The Mavs have been total chumps this off-season, and it seems Cuban is now a financial lightweight by NBA owner standards (or maybe even worse). But Luka is probably the 4th or 5th best player I’ve ever seen going back to the Kareem era.  Only the most incompetent front office or an injury could keep the Mavs below 50 wins. In fact, a record that bad would require a historic level of incompetence.  I’m still excited about the season. With Luka, the Mavs are finals contenders, so long as they can at least build a supporting cast on the level that Lebron had during his first Cleveland stint. Almost any GM or even an intelligent fan could pull that off.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1567265001169117184?s=20&t=6n6sLBN5zT8F1TZIGhWd6w
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch5_AanPy...hare_sheet
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/chriswood_5/status/1...62947?s=46&t=tWFwg0K3z52vrMSbAsIiNQ
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Hypermav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(09-07-2022, 05:12 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/chriswood_5/status/1...62947?s=46&t=tWFwg0K3z52vrMSbAsIiNQ

The jury's still out on that.  He should be balls to the wall though. It's a contract year.
Like Reply
This weeks Lowe Post Podcast has a deep dive on the mavs after Knicks and Jazz talk.
Like Reply
Speaking of contract year impact, there was interesting info provided recently on a Hooked on Mavs podcast about the possibility of signing Schroder.

One of the hosts had done some insider research on Schroder, trying to figure out why he's still unsigned. He talked with beat writers for Schroder's teams the last two years who follow the team closely, and see every game and talk to other players. In doing that, he came across an interesting perspective on DS from the ones in BOS.

Their player-analysis observation was that Schroder was the best player on the team in attacking the basket, while his defense was no good, and his shot was meh. That's not anything unexpected to hear.

But the main thing, and which was very informative for whether he makes sense for the Mavs, is that he was seen as a tremendous net negative by his teammates. Because he is skilled and they needed PG minutes, he got a lot of play. But the problem was that, it being a contract year, he was only willing to play for himself -- once he had the ball (and being a PG, that happened all the time, of course), he'd proceed at his own (incredibly slow) pace, willing to use as much time as it took to find stats for himself, and wasn't much worried who else might be open or what the overall team needed. BOS couldn't wait to get rid of him.

It may only be coincidental, but maybe it is informative, that once he was gone, BOS was much better and more successful.

IMO all of that answers for me whether the Mavs should add him or not.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply