Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(08-02-2022, 01:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: get feedback from Houston
[Image: giphy.gif]

Clutchfan feedback is not that healthy. Smile
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1554457636661231617?s=20&t=rharU-BzdSfWqatDH88nAg

https://twitter.com/everydaymffl/status/1554579942339448832?s=20&t=rharU-BzdSfWqatDH88nAg
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/everydaymffl/status/1554580617114931203?s=20&t=-E67_bamC-AFo2gzz0Xicg
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 06:14 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/everydaymffl/status/1554580617114931203?s=20&t=-E67_bamC-AFo2gzz0Xicg
Hopefully this starts to be more the norm around the league.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 06:14 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/everydaymffl/status/1554580617114931203?s=20&t=-E67_bamC-AFo2gzz0Xicg

I'm correct every once in a blue moon.  Also makes the Curry trade look worse in retrospect.  I still wonder if Quinn Cook could be dusted off the scrap heap for a super budget version of a sharpshooter though him not finding his way back to GSW makes me doubt it.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 06:11 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1554457636661231617?s=20&t=rharU-BzdSfWqatDH88nAg

https://twitter.com/everydaymffl/status/1554579942339448832?s=20&t=rharU-BzdSfWqatDH88nAg

I think the Mavs will need to make calculated gambles as they look to improve this roster.  They will probably not be able to get a player wart free. 

I just don't think Sexton is a fit right now for as is mentioned above.   Could he be at a later time? Now, if he signs the tender I could see a fit during the year.  But there will be competition. 
I just don't think I am ready to invest 20 million a year for Sexton even f he was gettable.   I need to see more of Dinwiddie to see if I view him as a long term fit here or a long term starter.   The knee injury to Sexton also worries me.  I would really like to see how he looks after surgery.   It was just a meniscus tear but the podcast with that Cavs writer made it sound like it was a pretty serious surgery.  I wonder if he gets off to a slow start thus lowering his value?

I really think the Mavs are holding out hope something opens up where they can be a part of a bigger trade where they get a Derrick Rose, Beverly or someone of that caliber without giving up a solid piece.  If that trade doesn't happen, they will fill the last spot with a veteran minimum.  And as Goran found out, that may be a role where you play 25-30 minutes if their is an injury or foul trouble to Luka or Din, but may be a spot role otherwise to start the season with Josh and Frank above this player in the rotation.   At least to start the season.
Like Reply

I turned off the podcast before this section. Was he mentioning shooters only?   I could see this for guys who provide little value otherwise...even elite shooters.   I would view Hardaway a tier above this though.    Although this year will tell us a lot about his future value.    Mavs made a pretty big decision on him last year...they appear to have at least some buyers remorse now.  That is not a great sign.   Hardaway of 2020 is worth that contract imo.   He, like most of our shooters, struggled early last year.  So we never got to see if he could rebound like the rest of the guys.

(08-02-2022, 04:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think it's undersold here that Luka and JB were buddies. I think they had their clashes at first, but by last season, they were close friends. The Mavs let one of Luka's best friends on the team walk, traded another, and refused to go aggressively after a third. Quite a bad look in these terms for the offseason. No way Luka feels as good about going into the season as he would have otherwise.

I should have mentioned this as well.  Thanks.  Obviously Luka is a big boy and knows about free agency and players moving on.  But I hate him seeing someone close to him leave for greener pastures (or hoping for greener pastures).  I just hate putting that thought in the back of Luka's brain.  Even if it is a distant thought as of now.   Now, I know the Mavs will treat Luka much different than they treated Jalen, but still.

We all better hope Jalen isn't a small part of the formula that brings exciting play back to the Garden.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 08:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I turned off the podcast before this section. Was he mentioning shooters only?   I could see this for guys who provide little value otherwise...even elite shooters.   I would view Hardaway a tier above this though.    Although this year will tell us a lot about his future value.    Mavs made a pretty big decision on him last year...they appear to have at least some buyers remorse now.  That is not a great sign.   Hardaway of 2020 is worth that contract imo.   He, like most of our shooters, struggled early last year.  So we never got to see if he could rebound like the rest of the guys.
Regardless of how you view him, the quote names THJ specifically, if his sources around the league are giving honest options, that kinda trumps your thoughts on the matter I would think.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 08:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I turned off the podcast before this section. Was he mentioning shooters only?   I could see this for guys who provide little value otherwise...even elite shooters.   I would view Hardaway a tier above this though.  

Fischer's take, in my own words, is that a player whose only contribution is shooting, like THJ, isn't seen as being worth more than about 15M a year, thus THJ doesn't excite the Cavs. He also mentioned Duncan Robinson, Bertans, Hield, Joe Harris (that's all I recall but there may have been one or two more) as players viewed as someone who provides "shooting" and that's about all.

He wasn't making this point directly, but obviously if THJ can be seen as being more than just a shooter, it changes the value perception.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 09:18 PM)F Gump Wrote: Fischer's take, in my own words, is that a player whose only contribution is shooting, like THJ, isn't seen as being worth more than about 15M a year, thus THJ doesn't excite the Cavs. He also mentioned Duncan Robinson, Bertans, Hield, Joe Harris (that's all I recall but there may have been one or two more) as players viewed as someone who provides "shooting" and that's about all.

He wasn't making this point directly, but obviously if THJ can be seen as being more than just a shooter, it changes the value perception.

I wonder if there is a deal for the Mavs somewhere in there for one of those guys then. Kind of like how we traded KP's bad contract for Dinwiddie and Bertans' contracts. None of them had high value at the time. That kind of trade is a Mavs special, they like win/win trades that kind of shuffle around bad contracts it seems. THJ and Powell for Joe Harris and Curry? THJ and Powell for Hield and Theis? Something with that kind of framework. My goal would to get off of at least one year of THJ's contract and at least get a somewhat similar player in return.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 09:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Regardless of how you view him, the quote names THJ specifically, if his sources around the league are giving honest options, that kinda trumps your thoughts on the matter I would think.

That is fair.   I was not in favor of targeting THJ last offseason.  I wanted them to think bigger.

I do think he offers more than just a shooter.  But this season should give us a good answer.  I would not expect him to be a red hot asset, but I think he would not be a negative asset if he played to his 2020 level of play.

(08-02-2022, 09:18 PM)F Gump Wrote: Fischer's take, in my own words, is that a player whose only contribution is shooting, like THJ, isn't seen as being worth more than about 15M a year, thus THJ doesn't excite the Cavs. He also mentioned Duncan Robinson, Bertans, Hield, Joe Harris (that's all I recall but there may have been one or two more) as players viewed as someone who provides "shooting" and that's about all.

Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 04:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think what drives me craziest is the idea that somehow the Wood addition cancels out losing Brunson.

Yep. If Wood is someone that only puts up numbers on a bad team what does it say about a player (Brunson) that puts up numbers on a good team?

When the news broke that Wood would be a bench player; it was always predictable to see this board shift from Wood will be an All-Star to - he must earn and do certain things for playing time etc.

Bottom line is I see Wood going one of two ways: He's good early and often so the Mavs trade him or he makes too much as a FA and moves on -- Or he doesn't buy into his role and his performance suffers, so he's traded or not retained in free agency.
Like Reply
Mark me down as a +Wood for the year.
Like Reply
(08-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Smitty Wrote: Yep. If Wood is someone that only puts up numbers on a bad team what does it say about a player (Brunson) that puts up numbers on a good team?

We don't know how Wood will do yet. He might be extremely underwhelming or he might be a great addition. Time will tell. 

We know what Brunson is - a winner and team leader on each and every team he's played with, including last year's Mavs, one of the 4-5 best teams in franchise history. I'm trying to find a way to be ok with the current situation, but it's just a dark turn of events. There's simply no reality-based angle from which to deny that.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
KL, I'm not sure why you keep trying to argue and prove in post after post that losing Brunson was a bad thing. It seems to me you're explaining the obvious - we ALL know that this team with Brunson would be better than this team without him. He's a good player, was a good fit, and he was productive.

Unfortunately, this won't be a team with Brunson. It is what it is. Not sure this was one they could have prevented, but it really doesn't matter now, because there are no do-overs.

Time to see if they have a different angle to get where they want to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
I've got to say that I am extremly positive when it come to Christian Wood. I think that that all of the character issues are a bit overblown. When he joined the Rockets they were a supposed contender, with Harden and Westbrook, but then the whole Harden fiasco happened, and everything went just downhill from then.

At the begining of this podcast, they discuss this(starts around 2:30). I mean it's worth to listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBoSZvpegs

In Dallas you know you are a contender with Luka, you have a good coaching staff, great chemistry,... And it's also his contract year, so basically he has all the conditions and motivation to give his best. We got our John Collins IMO Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like juanc's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Hypermav
Like Reply
(08-03-2022, 01:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: KL, I'm not sure why you keep trying to argue and prove in post after post that losing Brunson was a bad thing. It seems to me you're explaining the obvious - we ALL know that this team with Brunson would be better than this team without him. He's a good player, was a good fit, and he was productive.

Because of the posts that suggest that not all of us know this, that's why. They offend me. I know you get it - my posts aren't directed at you. 

There will probably be about 1,000 more of them this season. I'm pretty blue about this.
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/3454238/2022/08/...y-results/

I filled out the survey.  He had 2,538 responses.  

This was the response to the who do you trust to play 25 minutes in the playoffs question.  (Besides Doncic)

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-08-01-at-2.32.20-PM-2048x758.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-08-01-at-2.31.01-PM.png]2nd most important player.
Like Reply
Waiting for cow's righteous response to this outrageous blasphemy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
I’m right there with you KL. I think Scott4Mavs posted something similar recently. The reason for feeling so down about this turn of events, for me, is what it says about the “new” leadership. It says to me that it is still mostly Cuban or Cuban-centric. And that will result in seemingly endless mismanagement and scandal, masked somewhat by the transcendent talents of first Dirk and now Luka. To say, in effect: “guys, the sky’s not falling. We still have Luka!” is reductive. We have few assets. Precious little youthful talent. Part of the point of my post about Ballmer and the Clippers is you can bet Ballmer or other will find a way to suggest that Cuban can’t spend. Desmond Bane and other rival players trolled us for losing Brunson. Cheapskate Owner is a bad look. So is bungling Dragic situation twice, draft chaos with your GM leaving the war room amidst a power struggle with your professional gambler buddy shadows GM, sexual harassment scandal, being sued by former GM (again with sexual harassment). Not to mention the DeAndre Jordan embarrassment, the inability to tank properly, paying 2nd round picks for Deron Wright and then turning around and paying two more to get off of him almost immediately, and not using cap space in that same offseason (was it 14m or so?). Not using cap space to take on players or picks before Luka’s massive extension hamstrings our ability to do so. Leading to… letting Brunson walk for nothing after blowing the whole thing from beginning (4 years/no RFA), not signing him to an extension, possibly insulting him with a belated offer, and then lowballing him this summer— knowing he wouldn’t accept the offer— in order to give Cuban cover for being cheap. But we are supposed to believe some great move is right around the corner. Well run franchises don’t lose players/assets like Brunson for nothing. It’s disheartening and discouraging.
[-] The following 6 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, sterlingmallory
Like Reply