Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-12-2022, 04:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Remember when Dampier was starting over Haywood in 2010 and everyone here (wherever we were back then) lost their minds, and then later we learned that Carlisle thought Dampier's only chance of making a positive impact was to play him with Kidd? 

I bet that this (if true) is at least partly based on the idea that McGee will be far more effective if 100% of his minutes come with Luka. I bet the plan is for him to play Luka's stretches of both the 1st and 3rd quarters, exit when Luka exits, and then never re-enter games. CW/Luka happens to close out halves. 

Honestly, I don't hate that. If he started, he'd just be standing in the corner while Luka ran pnr with McGee, anyway. As long as they're using their resources with intelligence to maximize potential I'm up for anything, really.

This is incredibly astute. 

This has to be the thinking. CW can play without Luka, but McGee absolutely needs Luka to maximize his offensive impact.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:01 PM)cow Wrote: Wouldn't almost anyone short of KP benefit from playing alongside Luka?

Sure, just like Haywood also would've benefitted from playing alongside Kidd back in the day. 

Wood will for sure also benefit from playing with Luka. But...Wood can floor the ball. He can face up and shoot. I'm not meaning to act like McGee is some huge problem they need to solve, but he can't do those things. All I'm saying is that since they've chosen him to "band aide areas of shortfall" it also makes sense to use him in such a way that maximizes his potential. 

This was in no way a slight against McGee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, just like Haywood also would've benefitted from playing alongside Kidd back in the day. 

Wood will for sure also benefit from playing with Luka. But...Wood can floor the ball. He can face up and shoot. I'm not meaning to act like McGee is some huge problem they need to solve, but he can't do those things. All I'm saying is that since they've chosen him to "band aide areas of shortfall" it also makes sense to use him in such a way that maximizes his potential. 

This was in no way a slight against McGee.

McGee's got some offensive ability on his own too.  He's certainly not helpless like Powell in the regard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:01 PM)cow Wrote: Carlisle was trying to hide Dampier as he was part of the rotation.

Well, I personally think you're bringing Dampier baggage into the conversation, because that's not how I'd characterize that Dampier situation at all.
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, I personally think you're bringing Dampier baggage into the conversation, because that's not how I'd charaxterize that Dampier situation at all.

You started the Dampier baggage party with this:

"later we learned that Carlisle thought Dampier's only chance of making a positive impact was to play him with Kidd? "

McGee can have a positive impact without Luka.  He'll certainly have a bigger impact offensively with Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:06 PM)cow Wrote: McGee's got some offensive ability on his own too.  He's certainly not helpless like Powell in the regard.

I agree. I remember Powell missing 2 clutch free throws against the Jazz in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:08 PM)cow Wrote: You started the Dampier baggage party with this:

"later we learned that Carlisle thought Dampier's only chance of making a positive impact was to play him with Kidd? "

McGee can have a positive impact without Luka.  He'll certainly have a bigger impact offensively with Luka.

Ah, I see now. I left "on offense" out of my Dampier point, sorry. 

I NEVER thought Dampier was a useless player, for context. Since the mere mention of his name apparently has you seeing red, I have a feeling you disagree.

But as far as McGee is concerned, I just think his best chance to be a major positive on offense is to play with Luka, just like Powell. I didn't realize this was going to ruffle anyone's feathers, sorry. You said yourself that "he's going to play so few minutes..." and "he's a traditional center and the league has changed..." etc.
Like Reply
Hope you guys enjoy Wood while we have him because he'll be gone next year.
Like Reply
Honestly, @"cow" the only reason I brought up Dampier's situation as a comparison was that at the time, people couldn't understand why Haywood, who they felt was the more promising player, wasn't given the starting job. None of us even thought of that reasoning at the time until Haywood said something like "I don't care, coach just told me he thinks Dampier needs to be able to play with Kidd. It's no big deal" (paraphrase) in an interview. 

I just intended to draw a parallel between the situations as far as suggesting there might be other considerations besides whose overall score is higher in NBA 2k that go into who's starting. That's it.

(07-12-2022, 05:14 PM)Branduil Wrote: Hope you guys enjoy Wood while we have him because he'll be gone next year.

I'm going to assume that's a possibility with everyone on the last year of their deal from now on. Especially if Cuban finds a way to get out of paying tax this year, which I believe they are currently trying to do.
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 04:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We have a long history of thinking "they're not done" at this point in the summer only to later learn "turns out they've been done for awhile" so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Very much where I'm at right now.
Like Reply
Me rn

[Image: 31egt3.jpg]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Use your words, @"IamDougieFresh". What's wrong?
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Use your words, @"IamDougieFresh". What's wrong?

Give me a bit. I’m trying to calm down so that I can form a coherent thought.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
For now I think I will just say that starting McShaqtin over Wood is moronic but I will try to wait until preseason at least before completely fucking losing it.
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:38 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: For now I think I will just say that starting McShaqtin over Wood is moronic but I will try to wait until preseason at least before completely fucking losing it.

Are you at least happy with the idea that they're maybe not starting BOTH?
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Are you at least happy with the idea that they're maybe not starting BOTH?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=5e214886b84lsl4kfl2ta7cca8...y.gif&ct=g]
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:42 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=5e214886b84lsl4kfl2ta7cca8...y.gif&ct=g]

This surprises me. I thought you liked space, like me.
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This surprises me. I thought you liked space, like me.

What’s the starting lineup mentioned in the article?

Dinwiddie - Bullock - DFS - Luka - JaShaqtin?
Like Reply
(07-12-2022, 05:50 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: What’s the starting lineup mentioned in the article?

Dinwiddie - Bullock - DFS - Luka - JaShaqtin?

Yes.
Like Reply
I guess it’s improved space and pace, but it’s outweighed by putting our second best player on the bench for no reason. I know I’m just going to be wondering why we have this goon running PnR and standing in Luka’s way for 4 minutes a quarter. 

It seems to me that we don’t have the talent to justify suboptimal offense for 30% of the game. I was okay with the McGee signing if he was going to be used properly as a backup big and situational starter vs the one team we would likely run into in the playoffs with a problem big man - Denver.

It’s feeling more and more like Shaqtin supreme was the only player who even considered coming here and we had to promise him a starting position to get him to sign despite him being buddies with multiple coaches here.

I hope Luka doesn’t suffer his entire career here like Dirk had to. Cuban will never put the talent around Luka that he deserves just like he didn’t get Dirk sufficient talent.
  • omahen
Like Reply