https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...8033695745
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1545516867355377664
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Do you believe the 4 is Wood's best position as a result of watching him play, or is just some defensive on/off metric leading you to believe this? I vehemently disagree that this should be the direction the team goes (if that's what you're suggesting). Obviously, this should be an option, as lineup flexibility is a great thing. I simply don't like it as the main, default lineup approach, that's all.

I believe at different times, the Mavs have started games in similar fashion - and the center was rotated out fairly quickly after 8-10 minutes. At that point I can at least imagine CW moving to the center position, while someone like Bullock rotates in for a version of small ball. In that environment, McGee gets the same or just a bit more mpg than he has historically gotten.

This is not to say the Kidd has this in mind, only that I can see it that way. I will say earlier reports of CW playing on the wing in Houston were not that encouraging, so Kidd may have his work cut out for him.
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Also, a question about this ^^^:

Do you believe the 4 is Wood's best defensive position as a result of watching him play, or is just some defensive on/off metric leading you to believe this? I vehemently disagree that this should be the direction the team goes (if that's what you're suggesting). Obviously, this should be an option, as lineup flexibility is a great thing. I simply don't like it as the main, default lineup approach, that's all. 

I’d suggest ignoring this last season and looking to the last year in Detroit and the first year in Houston.  I looked at lineup data at NBA.com and positional data at 82games.  Both told the same story pretty clearly.

I don’t think McGee playing the “Powell-role” at the beginning of halves precludes Wood playing center.  From the start I’ve talked about this in terms flexibility.  The issue with spending the TP MLE on a wing or guard is it forced us to play a certain way.  McGee gives us an option.  Time will tell if it is an option instead of Powell or in addition to Powell.  But, even if McGee and Powell get minutes, it doesn’t mean Wood is ‘relegated’ to PF.  I suspect he will get time with DFS/Luka as the next biggest player on the court.  I suspect he’ll play next to Maxi also (which one is the C in that arrangement seems a silly point of contention…the answer is kind of both and kind of neither).
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavsfan12, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:15 PM)Winter Wrote: I believe at different times, the Mavs have started games in similar fashion - and the center was rotated out fairly quickly after 8-10 minutes. At that point I can at least imagine CW moving to the center position, while someone like Bullock rotates in for a version of small ball. In that environment, McGee gets the same or just a bit more mpg than he has historically gotten.

Absolutely. We all know this, and I'm sure Dan is factoring that into his thinking, too. You're probably right. 

I just don't like it, that's all. I would MUCH rather they focus on establishing the Luka/Wood pick and roll right away, to start games, personally. 

In the approach you describe, combined with an offense built around Luka Doncic, Luka/McGee pnr with Wood standing above the break or in the corner (just like Porzingis did under Carlisle) is pretty much the only option. Can't run pnr with Wood because McGee's guy will be in the paint regardless of where McGee is on the floor. I suppose some pick and pop with Wood, McGee in the dunker's spot, giving Luka three options rather than two is something that could happen, but it's actually a little easier to defend, imo, because the spacing won't be quite as awe-inspiring. 

Further, I personally believe this makes the defense FAR weaker by doubling down on slow-footed defenders who can be exploited in space. It's even harder to hide them when there are two of them.

Overall, I have no problem with McGee becoming a tool in Kidd's tool belt. I just hate that they had to promise him a starting spot to get him here, and I hate the idea of limiting Wood's potential (on both ends of the floor) by stubbornly clinging to some long outmoded definition of what centers and power forwards look like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just don't like it, that's all. I would MUCH rather they focus on establishing the Luka/Wood pick and roll right away, to start games, personally. 

In the approach you describe, combined with an offense built around Luka Doncic, Luka/McGee pnr with Wood standing above the break or in the corner (just like Porzingis did under Carlisle) is pretty much the only option. Can't run pnr with Wood because McGee's guy will be in the paint regardless of where McGee is on the floor. I suppose some pick and pop with Wood, McGee in the dunker's spot, giving Luka three options rather than two is something that could happen, but it's actually a little easier to defend, imo, because the spacing won't be quite as awe-inspiring. 

You have a point, so I have nothing much to argue with. 

I suspect they can work out the best positional lineup early in the season, hopefully without hiccups.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:29 PM)Winter Wrote: You have a point, so I have nothing much to argue with. 

I suspect they can work out the best positional lineup early in the season, hopefully without hiccups.

Best thing Ive seen posted this offseason...  haha.  Things are going to work themselves out.  We are going to be fine.  Hopefully, without too many hiccups.  

Mavs have good talent that fits together.  They are a more balanced team - both offensively and defensively going into next season - without any other shakeups.  If something happens, we will see how that fits.  Every team wants more talent and better fit.  Nothing new.  I am excited to see this team on the floor!

Also, I am super pumped with the Wood interviews and his callouts to defense and winning.  I want to believe him and can't wait to see how he does on defense.  I am pretty sure that he is going to light it up on offense!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I think something may have been overlooked in Kidd's comment about SD and McGee starting.  Logically the starters look to be:

McGee, Wood, DFS, Dinwiddie and Luka

Kidd also mentioned getting THJ back (he and Nico are singing from the same hymnal about Hardaway being like getting a 'free agent').  He then said we are going to have "a lot of offense" coming off the bench.  Really?  OK, who is going to run the show?  Hardy?  Frank?  If Powell is still around, the logical candidates are Powell, Maxi, THJ, Bullock and ______.  Yeah, Yeah, I know.  Powell sucks and no way he plays a single minute of NBA basketball the rest of his life yada yada.  Great, if that is how you feel, insert Green and pull Powell.  So now the bench with "a lot of offense" is Maxi, THJ, Green, Bullock and _______.  Same issue.

The way my mind works when I hear Kidd's comment is I start looking for someone to be _______.  Interestingly enough, if Jalen goes out in a S&T and Starts at the $28,108,108 he's able to in a match for Noel/Burks, half of that...$14,054,054 plus Josh at $3.098,400 is $17.15mm and matches salary up to $21.54mm.  You know what PG makes $21.48 and is a potent offensive player (O-EPM is 93 each of the last two years)?  Hint, his team is in a difficult situation with its second best player as yet unsigned because of a domestic abuse charge.  Maybe its not this guy, but I don't have a good explanation for why Dragic isn't here if Dinwiddie is going to start.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 06:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You know what PG makes $21.48

Rozier??

Signed for 4 more years....and in the opinion of this humble narrator, pretty overrated.
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 02:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/DorothyJGentry/statu...2045449218

This is so surprising to me. I would have bet money the starting lineup would be Wood/DFS/Bullock/Luka/Dinwiddie. Are we really just abandoning what worked after the Porzingis trade? Things opened up so much after getting rid of KP and the two big lineup clogging the paint. I know Wood shot like 39% from 3 last year but are we really going to play him like Maxi or DFS, just standing outside the 3 point line spacing the floor? Because if not, he's most likely going to just clog things up with McGee in there too. That seems like such a waste of his skillset.

What I remember happening last year was we were constantly having to battle back from early deficits because the two big lineup sucked offensively and I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen this year until we change the lineup. I understand McGee won't play big minutes even if he's starting but those first 5 minutes of the game are crucial. Wood and McGee is a fantastic big man rotation, but I really don't see a lot of benefit in playing them together.
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 02:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/DorothyJGentry/statu...2045449218

Honestly doesn't really matter how you start games. I don't think the finishing lineup will feature McGee nor Dinwiddie. 

Luka/Bullock/DFS/Wood/Maxi is still probably the crunch time lineup.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 06:21 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: This is so surprising to me. I would have bet money the starting lineup would be Wood/DFS/Bullock/Luka/Dinwiddie. Are we really just abandoning what worked after the Porzingis trade? Things opened up so much after getting rid of KP and the two big lineup clogging the paint. I know Wood shot like 39% from 3 last year but are we really going to play him like Maxi or DFS, just standing outside the 3 point line spacing the floor? Because if not, he's most likely going to just clog things up with McGee in there too. That seems like such a waste of his skillset.

What I remember happening last year was we were constantly having to battle back from early deficits because the two big lineup sucked offensively and I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen this year until we change the lineup. I understand McGee won't play big minutes even if he's starting but those first 5 minutes of the game are crucial. Wood and McGee is a fantastic big man rotation, but I really don't see a lot of benefit in playing them together.

McGee will play 15 minutes whether or not he starts. That is way different than KP playing 30 mpg.

I think Mavs probably told McGee they would try him out at starter in order to help close him on coming. It would be easy for them to play him at center for like 3 weeks and then make a change afterwards if it's not working out. At 15 minutes its not going to kill you either way,
Like Reply
[Image: nG4dNk4-cF4kEN-6dvEa6t5ZWF_6tOTh7YkZQLT_...08e278ad3d]

I think THJ is ready for next season
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 06:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly doesn't really matter how you start games.

Yes it does. If you start every game down 10 after the first 5 minutes you're going to lose quite a few games. I'd prefer to not have to climb back from double digit deficits in the first half every night.

(07-08-2022, 06:30 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: McGee will play 15 minutes whether or not he starts. That is way different than KP playing 30 mpg.

I think Mavs probably told McGee they would try him out at starter in order to help close him on coming. It would be easy for them to play him at center for like 3 weeks and then make a change afterwards if it's not working out. At 15 minutes its not going to kill you either way,

If they change it up in like 2 or 3 weeks then ok fine. I hope that's all it is instead of the FO seriously just going right back to what didn't work last year but this time with Wood in the KP role and McGee in the Powell role. Wood at the 5 would open up so many things and we could still have McGee bring his 15 minutes of toughness and rebounding whenever we need it off the bench.
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 06:55 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Yes it does. If you start every game down 10 after the first 5 minutes you're going to lose quite a few games. I'd prefer to not have to climb back from double digit deficits in the first half every night.

Mavs started Powell every playoff game where they were consistently down and outrebounded. Did it matter? Not really. 

McGee is better than Powell. He wont play more than 4-5 mins to start a quarter. Closing lineup is infinitely more important.
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 06:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think THJ is ready for next season

Imagine if Luka did that....
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JadenHardy1/status/1...7355312128
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 07:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mavs started Powell every playoff game where they were consistently down and outrebounded. Did it matter? Not really. 

McGee is better than Powell. He wont play more than 4-5 mins to start a quarter. Closing lineup is infinitely more important.

We'll see, I just don't see the point in playing suboptimal lineups even for only 5 or 10 or 15 minutes or whatever and then just dismissing it because well the closing lineup is more important anyway. I really think playing McGee and Wood together is just going to cause more trouble than it's worth. Whatever you gain in size, toughness, and rebounding is more than made up for when Luka has to drive into a clogged paint and ends up turning it over. 

My prediction is come November and December we're going to get off to a slow start and after two months of everyone on this board complaining about rotations we'll finally see Kidd make a change to the starting lineup and suddenly everything will start clicking once we go exclusively to lineups that feature Wood and McGee as the lone big surrounded by shooters. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and I'll be humble enough to admit it, but I feel strongly that something like this will be how it plays out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Absolutely. We all know this, and I'm sure Dan is factoring that into his thinking, too. You're probably right. 

I just don't like it, that's all. I would MUCH rather they focus on establishing the Luka/Wood pick and roll right away, to start games, personally. 

Further, I personally believe this makes the defense FAR weaker by doubling down on slow-footed defenders who can be exploited in space. It's even harder to hide them when there are two of them.

Overall, I have no problem with McGee becoming a tool in Kidd's tool belt. I just hate that they had to promise him a starting spot to get him here, and I hate the idea of limiting Wood's potential (on both ends of the floor) by stubbornly clinging to some long outmoded definition of what centers and power forwards look like.

My man, say it again for the people in the back.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...6120051712
Like Reply